Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bright color costume means it's for children, muted color costume means it's for serious adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xealot posted:

I'm genuinely curious who racist CHUDs would be more upset about, a black Superman or a black Batman.

Black Nighthawk from the Marvel Knights Squadron Supreme was a radical Black man.

And the pilot for M.A.N.T.I.S had Carl Lumbly's character paired with two AA "butlers" who were all about pan-african representation and pride.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

Rachel Weisz

There has to be a flashback where she almost kills someone with a railgun so when it cuts back to the present the person can be like sorry can you repeat that? I wasn't paying attention because I was thinking about getting absolutely railed by Rachel Weisz.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fear of a Black Krypton

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fun Fact: Krypton had its own wakanda

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vathlo_Island

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FilthyImp posted:

Black Nighthawk from the Marvel Knights Squadron Supreme was a radical Black man.

And the pilot for M.A.N.T.I.S had Carl Lumbly's character paired with two AA "butlers" who were all about pan-african representation and pride.

M.A.N.T.I.S. unironically owns, and I was stoked when I found out that Carl Lumbly was J'onn J'onzz in DCAU's Justice League.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Sucks total rear end that people will take the dogshit costuming of the MCU but then something like Birds of Prey comes along and they’re like “but I wanna see them in the classic costuuuuumes they’re not even the same characterrrrrs.”

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Chipman is a dead-ender turbolib who fully buys into clintonian technocracy, believes that anyone who doesn't live in an urbanized area is a deliverance-level dangerous hick regressive whose participation in democracy is the driving reason for all societal ills, and directly blames leftists for getting Donald Trump elected for not meekly falling into line behind dread abuela Hillary.

He's specifically implying that captain CCCP there is a riff on the Chapo Trap House hosts, of which two of the original lineup are notoriously scruffy looking white guys.

Don’t forget the parts where he thinks that intelligence tests should be a requirement for voting and keeps dogwhistling at the idea of people in red states being genetically inferior and/or worthy of death. Nobody in Lefttube is willing to come out and openly condemn the guy because he follows them around like a sad puppy looking for a friend, but he’s not only an absurdly stupid dude who wrote an entire book about how Super Mario Bros 3 changed his life; he is, morally, a genuine monster. Just an utter piece of poo poo.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 4, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually agree with you but then we're on the topic of how to make a satisfying narrative about a strong flying near-indestructible guy fighting society's issues. I'm not sure people want to see a 2 hour movie of Superman canvassing for Bernie.

I actually like Hancock ok, but I can't think of what they could do for a sequel. Can you? (not rhetorical)

When I refer to Hancock as a sister-film to BVS, I mean it’s so close in theme as to be almost the same movie. But the key difference: where Superman dies (for our sins), Hancock ends up basically working for this lovey-dovey ‘green’ corporation - which, despite the lack of a metaphorically-psychopathic CEO character, is basically Lex Luthor’s goal for Aquaman and the gang.

While his sidekick Bate-man did a lot to help, the company Hancock’s working for is a far greater threat than whatever cruel gangsters - precisely because it’s nice.

As for how to make this interesting? The same way you make ‘Superman catching a plane’ interesting: make it so that reality doesn’t cooperate. How do you actually fight a corporation? You can punch the CEO, but they’ll just replace him - and now you’re public enemy #1. Immortality’s not going to help much with that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McCloud posted:

Fun Fact: Krypton had its own wakanda

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vathlo_Island

There was a weird trend of comic book writers at the time (being probably exclusively nerdy white guys) writing well-meaning separatist afro-futurist utopias. Vathlo is still sometimes used as a name for a part of Krypton.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When I refer to Hancock as a sister-film to BVS, I mean it’s so close in theme as to be almost the same movie. But the key difference: where Superman dies (for our sins), Hancock ends up basically working for this lovey-dovey ‘green’ corporation - which, despite the lack of a metaphorically-psychopathic CEO character, is basically Lex Luthor’s goal for Aquaman and the gang.

While his sidekick Bate-man did a lot to help, the company Hancock’s working for is a far greater threat than whatever cruel gangsters - precisely because it’s nice.

As for how to make this interesting? The same way you make ‘Superman catching a plane’ interesting: make it so that reality doesn’t cooperate. How do you actually fight a corporation? You can punch the CEO, but they’ll just replace him - and now you’re public enemy #1. Immortality’s not going to help much with that.

Reminded how apparently the start of The Boys is about a Justice League counterpart fatally bungling a 'Superman catches a plane' scenario to the point of letting everyone die rather than salvage the situation because it's easier to handle PR with no surviving witnesses. I think the main message there is corporate superheroes are the worst possible idea. (And it should be noted that all the comic book versions of private sector superheroes who answer to a boss are known as 'supervillains')

Hell, one of the underlying story threads of the Justice League cartoon is how becoming aloof and unanswerable is dangerous to the Justice League even if the government conspiracy to deal with them is worse, and they start making an effort to do more PR and establish the Hall of Justice as an earthbound embassy.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Sucks total rear end that people will take the dogshit costuming of the MCU but then something like Birds of Prey comes along and they’re like “but I wanna see them in the classic costuuuuumes they’re not even the same characterrrrrs.”

Don’t forget the parts where he thinks that intelligence tests should be a requirement for voting and keeps dogwhistling at the idea of people in red states being genetically inferior and/or worthy of death. Nobody in Lefttube is willing to come out and openly condemn the guy because he follows them around like a sad puppy looking for a friend, but he’s not only an absurdly stupid dude who wrote an entire book about how Super Mario Bros 3 changed his life; he is, morally, a genuine monster. Just an utter piece of poo poo.

Pretty sure hbomberguy savagely dunked on the guy not too long ago

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's pretty much the unreconstructed pre-2016 woke twitter pop culture critic who's still doing the same poo poo like those Japanese soldiers on those islands.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

bright color costume means it's for children, muted color costume means it's for serious adults

I think they're trying to avoid making a costume as bad as the Avengers Cap suit, but they've just flipped in the opposite direction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bogus Adventure posted:

M.A.N.T.I.S. unironically owns, and I was stoked when I found out that Carl Lumbly was J'onn J'onzz in DCAU's Justice League.

gently caress yeah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

So I'm watching this Black Widow Trailer and Taskmaster comes up and I'm going "Why do all the costumes look like poo poo? Even Crossbones' costume was poo poo. What the hell is up with these poo poo costumes in a superhero movie?"

Costuming was never the MCU's strongest suit (:razz:)

I don't even know who Taskmaster was in the trailer. Was he the guy with the bow and arrow? I thought that was Hawkeye?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Costuming was never the MCU's strongest suit (:razz:)

I don't even know who Taskmaster was in the trailer. Was he the guy with the bow and arrow? I thought that was Hawkeye?

I thought that was some random mook until I heard people complain about Taskmasters outfit.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

McCloud posted:

he tweeted "guess that's why he's not called socioeconomics bob"

chipman then changed his twitter name to that for a day because he wasn't mad at all

otherwise all I know about him is that his "why ghostbusters is that good" video was good, then I checked his twitter and he was doing the eugenics dogwhistle stuff already mentioned. also he made a *4 hour* series on why he didn't like Batman v Superman

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Cavill was excellent but he seems done with it for good.
he just said the complete opposite of that in a Men's Health interview, so that's up to DC

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roman posted:

he just said the complete opposite of that in a Men's Health interview, so that's up to DC

The most bizarre move was not just putting him in Shazam! Like it was obviously supposed to be the same character, it's set in that universe and referencing those heroes, and even if they recast they're almost certainly going to redesign the suit so the lunchroom shot becomes anachronistic with anyone other than Cavill's specific character anyway. It's just weird to try and play it coy like maybe they might've been able to salvage the current DCEU but without Cavill but a different (but still effectively the same) Superman somehow.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

The most bizarre move was not just putting him in Shazam! Like it was obviously supposed to be the same character, it's set in that universe and referencing those heroes, and even if they recast they're almost certainly going to redesign the suit so the lunchroom shot becomes anachronistic with anyone other than Cavill's specific character anyway. It's just weird to try and play it coy like maybe they might've been able to salvage the current DCEU but without Cavill but a different (but still effectively the same) Superman somehow.

in that interview he mentions that he only wasn't in the shazam cameo because he couldn't fit it into his schedule of shooting the witcher

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guy A. Person posted:

That may have been tied to how many (if any) films he had left on his contract. Doing a cameo, no matter how brief, might have constituted one of the films left on his contract.

Then again, the Superman cameo in Shazam was perfect just the way it was.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

in that interview he mentions that he only wasn't in the shazam cameo because he couldn't fit it into his schedule of shooting the witcher

Lol well crap I should've checked that interview that the person who I quoted was talking about

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol well crap I should've checked that interview that the person who I quoted was talking about

well fwiw i also definitely thought it was DC being weird about cavill's future as superman up until that interview :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roman posted:

otherwise all I know about him is that his "why ghostbusters is that good" video was good, then I checked his twitter and he was doing the eugenics dogwhistle stuff already mentioned. also he made a *4 hour* series on why he didn't like Batman v Superman

That's a WEIRD mix of circles right there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Brother Entropy posted:

well fwiw i also definitely thought it was DC being weird about cavill's future as superman up until that interview :v:
Gadot is still in, Aquamomoa is still in, I assume Levy is gonna keep Shazaming it up, and iirc Miller likes being the Flash.

But maybe Bats and Superman get recast? That would be some weird rear end Crisis on Infinite Earths poo poo.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

McCloud posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?

Bob Chipman is a fuckin' dingus.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

But maybe Bats and Superman get recast? That would be some weird rear end Crisis on Infinite Earths poo poo.
Well Batman was recast. But DC isn't really doing a cinematic universe so if, say Affleck changed his mind, they could have some films with him and some with Pattinson

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Make the next Batman be Dick Grayson Batman.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

Netflix didn't let him cut his hair or surgically change his eyes back until he was done with the first season of The Witcher.

The DCEU can't seem to catch a break with him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

He's the super mario bros 3 guy? i remember hearing about the book. Is it the one where it's just him describing the events of the game?

McCloud posted:

I think this is where i heard of him too, but i can't remember which video it was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Gadot is still in, Aquamomoa is still in, I assume Levy is gonna keep Shazaming it up, and iirc Miller likes being the Flash.

Speaking of which

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi69xfnl0ho

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

He's the super mario bros 3 guy? i remember hearing about the book. Is it the one where it's just him describing the events of the game?

Don't know. I've never read it and haven't found anyone else who's willing to subject themselves to it. The closest I found is that there's a Struggle Session episode about it, but it's Patreon-only and I don't actually like Struggle Session that much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Netflix didn't let him cut his hair or surgically change his eyes back

what

E: I haven't been able to find any references to this, just him wearing contacts that were kinda painful at first?

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 5, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

what

E: I haven't been able to find any references to this, just him wearing contacts that were kinda painful at first?
Witchers have a cat-eye mutation so he had to get an ophthalmic orthotic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

McSpanky posted:

what

it's a joke about the mustache

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

it's a joke about the mustache

Call me the man of osmium

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

lol at Superman's scrawny neck in this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

lol at Superman's scrawny neck in this.

Maybe he's from the alternate universe where he's Zod's son.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gatts posted:

So I'm watching this Black Widow Trailer and Taskmaster comes up and I'm going "Why do all the costumes look like poo poo? Even Crossbones' costume was poo poo. What the hell is up with these poo poo costumes in a superhero movie?"

I seriously didn't recognize the biker with a bow as Taskmaster.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gatts posted:

If Zack Snyder had directed Civil War, he'd have Frank Grillo turn into a real life, comic-accurate Rob Liefeld Crossbones, complete with Lucha mask and lovely pirate wifebeater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The funny thing is, if they wanted to do Taskmaster with a more muted costume than insane white skull with cape, this was right there: