Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

But for real, how insane is it that Stadia doesn't have Fortnite? WTF are you doing Google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I get the annual subscription for PS plus for $30-45, $2.50-$3.75 per month to get a couple games and save backups is a good deal

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

But for real, how insane is it that Stadia doesn't have Fortnite? WTF are you doing Google?

:shrug:

For some reason people try to explain this by saying Google would be losing money on the hosting, but that's a factor for literally every F2P game on every platform. They all make money by taking a cut of the ingame currency sold.

A much worse monetary prospect is someone who gets the Stadia Basic, buys a single game, and plays it forever without a subscription. Which is what Google is already offering. How is THAT sustainable?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Welcome to Stadia, where the business plan's made up and the launch doesn't matter!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Stadia's launch lineup is actually pretty impressively bad, and goes to show either how poorly planned the launch was or how rushed it was. RDR2 looks nice on paper but it's a 1 year old game that was well received critically but most people seemed pretty cool on it after playing it a bit. Plus they badly under-delivered on their whole 4k promise. The next biggest title is what? Destiny 2? NBA2k20? They couldn't get Borderlands 3 or Doom 2016 ready for launch and at this rate don't seem like they'll be available this year even.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For some reason people try to explain this by saying Google would be losing money on the hosting, but that's a factor for literally every F2P game on every platform. They all make money by taking a cut of the ingame currency sold.

A much worse monetary prospect is someone who gets the Stadia Basic, buys a single game, and plays it forever without a subscription. Which is what Google is already offering. How is THAT sustainable?

There is still plenty of time to cut the free service entirely or attach massive caveats to it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The absence of DOOM2016 is extremely telling. It should have been the easiest thing to have ready and would have been a great example of the service. It's really weird that it's basically nowhere to be found.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"Hey parents, you know that game that your kid is demanding a $2000 computer, $400 playstation, and $1000 phone to play? Spend $130 on a streaming stick and save $3200."

Nah, a terrible idea.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

The absence of DOOM2016 is extremely telling. It should have been the easiest thing to have ready and would have been a great example of the service. It's really weird that it's basically nowhere to be found.

It already runs Vulkan too.

Anyway I took a look at the Stadia subreddit just now and it's an interesting struggle in reconciling the desperate need to defend the brand with the fact that the product itself sucks poo poo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

American McGay posted:

they thought they were going to launch with doom eternal, they were showing it at stadia preview events and eternal was originally supposed to launch just a few days after stadia did

to be fair it's not google's fault that id delayed the game to march of next year at the last minute

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 5, 2019

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

"Hey parents, you know that game that your kid is demanding a $2000 computer, $400 playstation, and $1000 phone to play? Spend $130 on a streaming stick and save $3200."

Nah, a terrible idea.

Ahahahahahahaha a $2000 computer to play Fortnite? Nice try troll.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

leftist heap posted:

There is still plenty of time to cut the free service entirely or attach massive caveats to it.

This entire launch is honestly baffling, it feels like they released it just to say they did, not to make it succeed.

Stadia is out now - and you can't have it! You can on [unspecified date] next year, probably when everyone has stopped caring about it!

repiv posted:

they were showing doom eternal at stadia preview events, and doom eternal was supposed to ship within days of stadia, but then it got delayed to march of next year and derailed the plan

that one isn't really google's fault

Doom 2016 isn't Doom Eternal though...?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Doom 2016 isn't Doom Eternal though...?

i'm saying google thought they were launching with doom eternal so porting 2016 over would have been a lower priority

eternal was delayed at the absolute last minute and probably too late for google to come up with a contingency plan

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There are 7 loving Tomb Raider games on this thing. I think they could have launched with Doom Eternal as well as Doom 2016.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Ahahahahahahaha a $2000 computer to play Fortnite? Nice try troll.

If they don't buy Ninja's NZXT setup there's no possible way they can win!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

American McGay posted:

There are 7 loving Tomb Raider games on this thing. I think they could have launched with Doom Eternal as well as Doom 2016.

For some reason square enix is giving tomb raider away for (mostly)free to whoever asks for their subscription service, would explain all the tomb raider games on stadia

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Epic probably views Stadia as a competing storefront rather than a console, in which case, never gonna happen.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

DalaranJ posted:

Epic probably views Stadia as a competing storefront rather than a console, in which case, never gonna happen.

well, it is a competing storefront that you buy games just to say you have them ,as playing them is kinda poo poo on the service itself

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's a universe of difference between the amounts of money Google loses on people downloading free games from the Google Play Store and what they would lose running World of Tanks on VMs at 4k60 with 50Mbps of bandwidth per player forever. Also, Stadia does not have crossplay with any other platform, so they'd have to attract enough players to each game for a living, vibrant community. They have exactly one free multiplayer game, Destiny 2, and it barely has enough players to function. Adding more would splinter their already tiny userbase, probably to the point that none of the games could function.

I really don't think "plays a single game 8 hours a day forever" is a serious concern outside of digital hamster wheels like Destiny 2. If someone pays $120 for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Ultimate Edition and plays like I did, they'll have effectively paid about 90 cents per hour of play time. That seems sustainable.

leftist heap posted:

Stadia's launch lineup is actually pretty impressively bad, and goes to show either how poorly planned the launch was or how rushed it was. RDR2 looks nice on paper but it's a 1 year old game that was well received critically but most people seemed pretty cool on it after playing it a bit. Plus they badly under-delivered on their whole 4k promise.
As an aside, GeForce Now recently dropped support for all Rockstar games. So if you want to play RDR2 or GTAV in the :cloud: at all, it's Stadia (or Playstation Now) or bust.

DalaranJ posted:

And GeForce Now does support for Fortnite, probably because they are not viewed as a competing storefront. The GeForce Now forums were recently full of complaints because it used to run Fortnite at 120 fps, but without announcement they capped all frame rates at 75.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 5, 2019

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

- The input lag is about +4 frames at its absolute best and is inconsistent. It's super noticeable and super bad.

Are you connected over WiFi or ethernet? I'm thinking this kind of service will only be viable for long play sessions over a wired connection.

I've played on WiFi for an hour or so and it wasn't too bad but was noticeable.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Nah, a terrible idea.

How many Tomb Raider games do I get for $3200?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Nah, a terrible idea.

This is child abuse.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

more gaming ambrosia from /r/stadia. Its time to battle with reality as this week we praise Stadia;s 4k/60 performance and exalt its flopped sales and pretend that google is a nurturing product-incubator with long term vision.

quote:

Google, nobody knows how Stadia is performing $$-wise better than you... but if things are bleak, PLEASE stick this out because you OWN this market if you allow Stadia to survive the early years.

Nobody is going to do a PURE streaming platform that competes directly against the current and upcoming gaming consoles as good as Stadia is already at... 4K resolution at 60fps... to not only our mobile devices but also our 60" home 4K TVs... least for a LONG time.

Google, please realize what you have here... there is competition out there, but you are starting a new gaming library from SCRATCH. It's going to take a long time for this to be a viable value proposition for most people, especially currently existing gamers. When Stadia is free and directly comparable to the $400+ consoles to come next year, and people want that new big AAA multi-platform title, they will ask themselves if they want to spend $460 to play it... or $60.

Google has this in the bag.

quote:

Seeing as only 15K people have played free destiny google prolly isn’t very happy with sales.

quote:

At any given time there is 25K playing Destiny 2 on Stadia. Stadia is only 2 weeks old. That is a lot more than I would have expected.

quote:

I just can’t understand this weird idea that google is going to axe a technology that is so obviously revolutionary. Just wait for the stadia orders to roll in once the PS5 is released with a $700 price tag.

quote:

The differences between Stadia and local hardware are now small enough that I'd prefer not to bother with the local hardware anymore. I would assume this is the case for many others as well.

All this delusion because someone again mistook Forbes.com as anything other than a blog.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gobbeldygook posted:

They have exactly one free multiplayer game, Destiny 2, and it barely has enough players to function. Adding more would splinter their already tiny userbase, probably to the point that none of the games could function.

Well, no, not really, you have to pay for their version with all the expansions. As far as I know you can't play Destiny 2 on Stadia if you don't buy it.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Forbes reviewer, who skewered Stadia on release, is a believer now:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/12/04/third-times-the-charm-how-google-and-i-finally-fixed-stadia-on-chromecast/#235d0aa154fe

quote:

Hardwiring Chromecast straight into the extender seems to have bypassed whatever wireless issues were happening. I am getting truly excellent performance now from Stadia, as I would say 98% of the tech issues I was seeing previously are gone. The resolution is better, and definitely 4K. Controls seem snappier. I am experiencing almost no stutters at all. I’m not convinced I’m getting a full 60 fps all the time, but it’s certainly better than it was. I was playing Destiny 2 and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey to test yesterday, and I genuinely forgot I was using Stadia some of the time, the first time this has happened. For the most part, it felt like I was playing on any other console.

If anyone wants to genuinely try out Stadia - PM me and I'll send you a buddy pass. EDIT: gone

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 5, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Glimm posted:

Are you connected over WiFi or ethernet? I'm thinking this kind of service will only be viable for long play sessions over a wired connection.

I've played on WiFi for an hour or so and it wasn't too bad but was noticeable.

This is wired on a 300/30 connection.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/12/04/third-times-the-charm-how-google-and-i-finally-fixed-stadia-on-chromecast/#235d0aa154fe

If anyone wants to genuinely try out Stadia - PM me and I'll send you a buddy pass. EDIT: gone

quote:

I am paying for 500 Mbps internet

This is the key factor of why it worked for him. It's not surprising that hardwiring it right into a fibre internet connection made it work.

quote:

they told me my Chromecast was only getting ~15-20 Mbps.
This is what most people are gonna be working with. If they're lucky. That's not even getting into latency.

edit:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is wired on a 300/30 connection.

Just out of curiosity, did you get Fibre to the Premises/Home, or Fibre to the Node?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 5, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

hostile apostle posted:

Hahaha yea thats what I got from the article too.... huge believer here:

My long national nightmare is over, I finally fixed Google Stadia at my house. Mostly.

If you’ve been following my coverage of Stadia, Google’s console-free streaming video game service, you’ll know that I was on the end of the spectrum of reviewers at launch that had some pretty massive technical problems with it. My experience, whether playing Stadia at home on my PC browser or my TV through Chromecast was full of stutters, hitches and all-around terrible performance.

I have been talking to various Google team members for a few weeks now...

...I’m not convinced I’m getting a full 60 fps all the time...

Not everyone has A) the internet speeds I have or B) the ability to wire a Chromecast directly.

I was lucky I had a direct line of communication with some of the highest-up folks working on Stadia to help me fix this over the course of the last few weeks, yet most people won’t have access to that. All I can tell you is what worked for me, though to fully “solve” my problem on other devices in my house, I still may need to mess around with changing a bunch of settings on my ORBI system. I can’t hardwire everything.

The tech side really has little to do with the model side, and in most circumstances, I’m still going to be picking PC or Xbox or PS4 to play my games rather than Stadia in its current form. I remain perplexed about the target market for Stadia, which appears to be people who are tech savvy enough to have rock solid internet and an interest in $60 triple A games, yet do not own a console. That seems…odd.

I only imagine it will get better in time and yes, I now can see a future where game streaming, like video streaming, is the norm. Whether it will be Stadia leading us there, I don’t know,

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, did you get Fibre to the Premises/Home, or Fibre to the Node?

This is just Cox Cable. They market it as such, so I assume it Copper to the CMTS and then Fiber out.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

"Hey parents, you know that game that your kid is demanding a $2000 computer, $400 playstation, and $1000 phone to play? Spend $130 on a streaming stick and save $3200 to be able to spend a lot more on internet bills"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Or just buy a fuckin Switch because if you have a kid demanding a gaming system they probably want it for Fortnite and Pokemon, and as a bonus you can kick them off the TV and they can keep playing

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

At least for me, Stadia in terms of technology has been OK, although not really a significant improvement over PSNow and GeForce Now.

I can elaborate more but would need you to expand a bit first on what "life" means when you say you don't have a console anymore. What aspect of getting a console was too problematic for getting one? Serious question, I'm curious.

I don't think there are any aspects of getting a console that was too problematic for me except that it seems like a waste of money? I will explain. I basically only have about 1 or 2 days a month free to play games (freelance writer/animator that is preparing 3 more pitches to go at Frederator Studios [only 4 rejections so far!]). I saw that NBA 2k20 is on Stadia and thought, "I would like to play that when Stadia goes full tilt" I loved 2k15 back in the day (probably the last time I played video games regularly other than checking out Stardew Valley). I'd rather not buy a console just to dick around on NBA2k20, but the thought of paying for the game and popping in whenever I wanted to play seemed like a nice feature. That might be the only game I play for months. I no longer have a computer that can handle modern graphics so I thought this sounded ideal for me. My cpu is so old that it doesn't support Geforce Now, but it's just fine for 2d animation and writing.

I feel like I just missed a joke opportunity. My cpu is so old that... Umm, it's going balder faster than I am? I got nothing here.

I guess I'll check back in when Stadia isn't just for founders and see how the masses react.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, no, not really, you have to pay for their version with all the expansions. As far as I know you can't play Destiny 2 on Stadia if you don't buy it.

Destiny 2 is free on Stadia, it is not one of the store games you have to buy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

D-Pad posted:

Destiny 2 is free on Stadia, it is not one of the store games you have to buy.

It comes "free" when you get the subscription/founders pack, yes, but will people with Stadia basic, whenever that is coming, be able to play it without paying anything?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

limaCAT posted:

"Hey parents, you know that game that your kid is demanding a $2000 computer, $400 playstation, and $1000 phone to play? Spend $130 on a streaming stick and save $3200 to be able to spend a lot more on internet bills"

"And then buy the computer and phone anyway because what the gently caress kind of parent doesn't get a computer for their kids to do their homework on, and doesn't have a phone for everyone in the family in 2019?"

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

biznatchio posted:

"And then buy the computer and phone anyway because what the gently caress kind of parent doesn't get a computer for their kids to do their homework on, and doesn't have a phone for everyone in the family in 2019?"

But of course the phone, but we are talking about the incredible GOOGLE PIXEL PHONE line, will also run Stadia. Checkmate, atheists!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
An absolute cutting edge gaming PC that will last you for probably the next decade costs maybe 800 dollars max

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh interesting that's almost the cost of the Google Pixel, funny how that works out

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

hostile apostle posted:

You do know that forbes.com is a blog, right? Right?

This is like saying "Livejournal reviewer is a believer now." At least the word "believer" does imply that you're starting to understand that you're in a cult now.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CJacobs posted:

An absolute cutting edge gaming PC that will last you for probably the next decade costs maybe 800 dollars max

The Rastastadian man (stadiafarian man?) is going to barge into your house, take your cutting edge PC, lift it over its head and throw it down the floor, then he will introduce you to the joys of STADIA, the service where you can buy cloud only versions of the games you already have in your steam library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

limaCAT posted:

The Rastastadian man (stadiafarian man?) is going to barge into your house, take your cutting edge PC, lift it over its head and throw it down the floor, then he will introduce you to the joys of STADIA, the service where you can buy cloud only versions of the games you already have in your steam library.

He can pry my gaming PC from my cold dead shelf where I keep it because the case is heavy and full of fans for good airflow