Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

...! posted:

This is like saying "Livejournal reviewer is a believer now." At least the word "believer" does imply that you're starting to understand that you're in a cult now.

Well, if hostile apostle wasn't a believer I would have asked Lowtax for a refund by now.

Edit: Oh hey hello new page! 1443 reasons to come to this thread but the gaming properties of stadia aren't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CJacobs posted:

He can pry my gaming PC from my cold dead shelf where I keep it because the case is heavy and full of fans for good airflow

luddite

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

limaCAT posted:

But of course the phone, but we are talking about the incredible GOOGLE PIXEL PHONE line, will also run Stadia. Checkmate, atheists!

A friend of mine sent his Pixel in for repair at the beginning of September and has not gotten it back. Amazing support like this tells me Stadia is in good hands.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

gschmidl posted:

A friend of mine sent his Pixel in for repair at the beginning of September and has not gotten it back. Amazing support like this tells me Stadia is in good hands.

How does your friend DARE to say that the goons that tried Stadia and say it's ok are wrong?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Gets on the cybertruck, start running down the main road blaring his horn and yelling at the people

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND 40.000 EUROS FOR PLAYING IN 4K JUST BUY STADIA THE NEW CHROMECAST FROM GOOGLE THE INVENTORS OF INTERNET AND VIDEOGAMES.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

limaCAT posted:

How does your friend DARE to say that the goons that tried Stadia and say it's ok are wrong?

nah man, his friend is just a troll, that's why he doesn't want to slam into his data cap like the kool-aid man

e: no wait I reread the post that's somehow worse. :rip: that phone

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 5, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

limaCAT posted:

Gets on the cybertruck, start running down the main road blaring his horn and yelling at the people

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND 40.000 EUROS FOR PLAYING IN 4K JUST BUY STADIA THE NEW CHROMECAST FROM GOOGLE THE INVENTORS OF INTERNET AND VIDEOGAMES.

Ohh, is "4K" how much a comparable computer costs and not Stadia's resolution...

:golfclap: at the new thread title too.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

...! posted:

You do know that forbes.com is a blog, right? Right?

This is like saying "Livejournal reviewer is a believer now." At least the word "believer" does imply that you're starting to understand that you're in a cult now.

This is a bad argument. I’m pretty sure Forbes pays their bloggers or at least their “senior contributors”. There are editors vetting the work. Paul is as legit a journalist as any gaming journalist. Certainly enough of a journalist to get Google tech support, which no ordinary person or LiveJournal user would have.

quote:

I was lucky I had a direct line of communication with some of the highest-up folks working on Stadia to help me fix this over the course of the last few weeks, yet most people won’t have access to that.

The funnier and better takedown, as Harry Potter on Ice points out, is that when you read the article, Paul isn’t a believer at all. You have to be a specific kind of apostolic reader to read

quote:

I now can see a future where game streaming, like video streaming, is the norm. Whether it will be Stadia leading us there, I don’t know, but I’m going to keep testing this tech as time goes on and see where it takes us.

and think “YEAH, this guy’s ALL IN”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

doingitwrong posted:

This is a bad argument. I’m pretty sure Forbes pays their bloggers or at least their “senior contributors”. There are editors vetting the work.
I ran into the same problem a months ago myself and from what I've been hearing from multiple sources, Forbes.com is more like a franchise system. Any "contributor" can post there directly to the website and is paid by number of views. This makes for a lot of very low quality clickbaiting content, and the "games journalism" stuff is the worst of it.

I was surprised, too! I only ever heard of Forbes in the context of a somewhat reliable financial magazine, but apparently that's a used-to-be.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:discourse:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

"CJacobs" posted:

An absolute cutting edge gaming PC that will last you for probably the next decade costs maybe 800 dollars max

Okay. What's a 2070 going for 350ish, a 2080 is around 500. So that and 2 sticks of 16gb ram and you're close to $6-700. Guess you don't need a motherboard or cpu or anything.

I mean you can probably Walk into Best buy and get an amd gaming PC with an rgb light inside for $800-900 with like a 1660 or ryzen csrd and you and 16gb of ram.

You can get an absolute starting gaming PC capable of 1080p on most of today's games for like $800.

"Cutting edge" is going to be close to 1500 to enter..

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 5, 2019

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

:dehumanize:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Okay. What's a 2070 going for 350ish, a 2080 is around 500. So that and 2 sticks of ram and you're close to $800. Guess you don't need a motherboard or cpu or anything.

I mean you can peobabt Walk into Best buy and get an amd gaming PC with an rgb light inside for $800 with like a 1060 and 8gb of ram.

What in the ... lol is this really how stadia people justified their purchase

e: do you think maybe pc vs consoles hasnt had this dumb $300 vs whatever size wad you got burning ahole in your pockets a thousand times before? It doesnt make your stadia over deliver on value. PCs have vastly more functions than video games

anyways you dont get to compare to pc anymore since google lied about having pc performance.. you should stick to comparing to the $199 consoles imo

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 5, 2019

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:moonrio:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ethanol posted:

e: do you think maybe pc vs consoles hasnt had this dumb $300 vs whatever size wad you got burning ahole in your pockets a thousand times before? It doesnt make your stadia over deliver on value. PCs have vastly more functions than video games

anyways you dont get to compare to pc anymore since google lied about having pc performance.. you should stick to comparing to the $199 consoles imo

Yeah, if people loved cheap platforms for gaming we would still be stuck with Commodore 64s.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

limaCAT posted:

Yeah, if people loved cheap platforms for gaming we would still be stuck with Commodore 64s.

dude how old are oyu

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are you like literally from the first roman republic

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Getting back to my new cheap-rear end Steam Controller for a moment: I had some time to test it more last evening and I find that the whole trackpad in place of an analogue stick is much less of a hindrance than I thought it would be. I set it to behave as a stick camera with ultra-wide acceleration and the whole thing is actually really intuitive. Just pull slightly in the direction you want your view to go and it acts exactly like a stick. It even slowly snaps back to the "middle" if you want it to do that. I'm honestly kind of thinking about setting the other trackpad up the same way and using it for movement.

I'm still not sure what to make of the gyro controls and the face button positioning is still kind of a pain, but I think once I get used to it, it'll be fine. If you can still get it for cheap somewhere, I'm leaning more and more towards recommending it.

ethanol posted:

dude how old are oyu
Hey, gently caress you, the first video games I ever played were on a C64. <:mad:> jk

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

ethanol posted:

What's wrong in that post you're quoting?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

try reading it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dear god did you just step out of fyad to interact with me\

e: im not calling you god

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If the same price gets you a fairly future-proof gaming PC that you can also do all sorts of other things with, then 800$ for a phone just so you can play Stadia games really isn't a good deal once you add the purchase costs, monthly costs and streaming costs on top of it.

You can get better than an "absolute starting PC" for that price, anyway. 32 gigs of RAM are 150$, 500GB HD sub 80$, 8-core ryzen 7 for 200$, compatible motherboard from 60$ up, decent graphics card from 350$ up => ~850 dollars to start from literally an empty casing with nothing but a PSU. That's not starting, that's mid-range easily.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Stadia technology works. If somebody tell you that it don't, he is a idiot or is lying to you. It need good internet but if you can provide it, is like magic.

The problems with Stadia are others, not the technology side. Is a service with games more expensive than other services, where we waive basic rights and require constant good conexion to work.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah we already know game streaming works. The main issues here were Google's idiotic self-owning lies.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah we already know game streaming works. The main issues here were Google's idiotic self-owning lies.

1) That (including the "highest quality graphics" and "no extra hardware needed").
2) The fact that Google has the attention span of a squirrel.
3) The fact that mainframe computing failed in the 80's.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

limaCAT posted:

3) The fact that mainframe computing failed in the 80's.

Is not failed. The computing world is swinging between Dumb Terminals + Fat Server to Smart Terminals and I heard the swing has already happened before a number of times. Theres advantages to both approach.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Smart Terminals is a common approach in large-scale installations of any kind as well as business environments. Having a weak local desktop that does OS stuff and the more hardware-intensive work, while network drives provide software and store data in a centralized manner, that is something that you see all over the place. My university does it. It's just a very efficient way to handle that kind of thing, as well as an added layer of backup/theft security.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tei posted:

Is not failed. The computing world is swinging between Dumb Terminals + Fat Server to Smart Terminals and I heard the swing has already happened before a number of times. Theres advantages to both approach.

The fact that browser works (and not even fine since all the problems of security) and smartphone work fine is because they can still frontload most of the work that the server would need to do.

1. You can have your applications serving data from different, separate applications (Netflix, Amazon)
2. The phone or browser does all the work about presentation
3. You can still offload tons of computation on the browser of smartphone: with html5 google docs still works offline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-Vnx58UYo

The mainframe model is when you have a process which runs only on the server. The server is down? You are hosed. The connection is down? You are hosed. There are too many users at the same time using the same resources? Guess what happens there?

The fact that Google just uses several servers to stream games mean that if you lose connection to the servers you cannot play offline games, such as assassin's creed or the RDR singleplayer. Stadia is still one process to serve data to you. You cannot download the game to play later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWTlpbI8eo

Cardiovorax posted:

Smart Terminals is a common approach in large-scale installations of any kind as well as business environments. Having a weak local desktop that does OS stuff and the more hardware-intensive work, while network drives provide software and store data in a centralized manner, that is something that you see all over the place. My university does it. It's just a very efficient way to handle that kind of thing, as well as an added layer of backup/theft security.

Most of the smart terminals approach is still "off the shelves PCs" that were locked down before being delivered to the final users, and they still allow you scenarios of doing local computation to avoid taxing the servers. Stadia is a dumb terminal scenario.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

limaCAT posted:

Most of the smart terminals approach is still "off the shelves PCs" that were locked down before being delivered to the final users, and they still allow you scenarios of doing local computation to avoid taxing the servers. Stadia is a dumb terminal scenario.
I know, I just wanted to give an example for situations in which they are used and what that makes them good for.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cardiovorax posted:

I know, I just wanted to give an example for situations in which they are used and what that makes them good for.

I see.

I would also like to see Google try to ask Ubisoft to pay for the electricity bill that gamers instead would have paid to run the 4k 60 fps games. Nobody has factored in this problem yet, that collectively gpus still drink a ton of juice that the normal server based game workload don't require to.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ethanol posted:

I'm not justifying it at all. You have me all wrong guy. Stadia is not a good value right now. Their games are overpriced, their subscription model is sub-par. And their concept isn't mind-blowing. They're also failing to deliver on their promises.

I have a pretty nice PC for all my VR racing and killing dude, Garmin, truck driving and editing needs.

I'm just saying $800 for a state of the art gaming PC is a bit of a stretch. Even understanding that when I built mine 128gb SSDs were $100 and I was paying $100 for a 16gb stick of ram.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anyone test if the stadia controller works for xCloud?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tei posted:

Yeah and it loving sucks. Over here IT got onto the virtualization bandwagon pretty hard. Which is OK most of the times. But now those idiots virtualized our local SCADA systems on the production lines and running them in their datacenter instead. Networking issues and their hypervisors lagging here and there is pretty fun, if you're actually wanting to operate the machine (frequent 3-4 second freezes and the sessions crashing frequently, preventing you from setting, checking and tweaking runtime parameters). Plenty of issues we never had when we had full computers running the software at each line.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I do my everyday desktop work on a thin client that bounces everything off an underprovisioned server 2,000 miles away. I will fight the concept with every fiber of my being to save people that kind of suffering.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Fallom posted:

I do my everyday desktop work on a thin client that bounces everything off an underprovisioned server 2,000 miles away. I will fight the concept with every fiber of my being to save people that kind of suffering.

I emulate that by developing java code inside Eclipse or RAD. :gonk:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Do you want nephews? Start planning today, give your kid the gift of STADIA and he will hate videogames.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I had to develop this half-Java half-Javascript RMI remote GUI for a legacy server systems once that used this (at the time) newfangled Google tech that was supposed to let you control software from inside your browser as if it was installed on your own computer, ooooh.

It was a complete and total mess and obviously Google has completely abandoned it since.

I think they still sell it to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For some reason people try to explain this by saying Google would be losing money on the hosting, but that's a factor for literally every F2P game on every platform. They all make money by taking a cut of the ingame currency sold.

Running F2P multiplayer game servers is way easier and cheaper than running a Stadia cloud.

1 Fortnight server supports 100 people. 1 Statia instance supports 1 person and requires a $250 GPU. The costs are a couple orders of magnitude different.

tater_salad posted:

I'm just saying $800 for a state of the art gaming PC is a bit of a stretch. Even understanding that when I built mine 128gb SSDs were $100 and I was paying $100 for a 16gb stick of ram.

$800 is a bit of a stretch, but it's way less of a stretch than $2000.

(Amd 3600, 5700 GPU, B450 mobo, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD, ok PSU, cheapest case = about $900. That's not what I'd call "cutting edge" but it's like a next gen console in 2019.)