Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Jabor posted:

That top "shelf" looks like part of the window sill.

You're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Unperson_47 posted:

1. TV mounted directly to drywall and no studs at all

If you mean nothing between the TV and the wall, it's worse than that. I had to crank up the contrast to see exactly what was going on, but the thing's on a VESA mount that looks like it projects the TV about a foot off the wall. My go-to drywall anchor is a big loving toggle bolt, and I still wouldn't want all that extra torque tugging on 'em.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should have taken a picture of it, but someone in my building put out a Sony Wega TV that was like, a flat panel but at leats 3x as thick as any i've seen. It's about maybe a 1/3 the size of the old CRT tvs. I can only assume it was an early flat panel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twistedmentat posted:

I should have taken a picture of it, but someone in my building put out a Sony Wega TV that was like, a flat panel but at leats 3x as thick as any i've seen. It's about maybe a 1/3 the size of the old CRT tvs. I can only assume it was an early flat panel.

They had “Grand Wega” sets that used LCDs with rear projection.

Two different models; these predated everyone putting photos online with smartphones and promotional photos that show the thickness didn’t exist for obvious reasons.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Dec 4, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

an obsolete graphics card isn't exactly going to set this thread on fire in terms of being interesting but I could not resist posting the world's most perfect print advertisement

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Two different models; these predated everyone putting photos online with smartphones and promotional photos that show the thickness didn’t exist for obvious reasons.

there was a brief period from around 2004-2008 or so where rear projection tvs hit the mainstream since larger crts were enormous and lcds and plasmas were still quite expensive

they generally didn't look very good unless you were sitting dead center and needed expensive bulbs every few hundred hours. i couldn't even watch dlp rear projection sets because they gave me a headache and i constantly saw color bands around everything

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pastry of the Year posted:

an obsolete graphics card isn't exactly going to set this thread on fire in terms of being interesting but I could not resist posting the world's most perfect print advertisement

That rules, and I'm trying to think if having a mouse port on the graphics card was a common thing back in the day. I really can't recall, but it kinda makes sense I guess

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

"Hey Boss, what do bears have to do with VGI cards?"

"I don't know just make some puns, I wanna be out of here before rush hour."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Code Jockey posted:

That rules, and I'm trying to think if having a mouse port on the graphics card was a common thing back in the day. I really can't recall, but it kinda makes sense I guess

Having a joystick port was also a selling point for graphics cards

Edit: ah poo poo I’m thinking of sound cards.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Dec 5, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a 73" DLP TV. Went through 2 bulbs. I sold it with my condo.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The_Franz posted:

there was a brief period from around 2004-2008 or so where rear projection tvs hit the mainstream since larger crts were enormous and lcds and plasmas were still quite expensive

they generally didn't look very good unless you were sitting dead center and needed expensive bulbs every few hundred hours. i couldn't even watch dlp rear projection sets because they gave me a headache and i constantly saw color bands around everything

I had an enormous Sony projection HDTV, one that my folks gave me after they got a huge LCD to replace it-
It had an obnoxious problem where the blue part of the RGB was slowly fading over the course of several years - I managed to keep is watchable by running everything through a PC doing color correction, though it made things a lot dimmer. Eventually had to toss it, since a new light module cost about as much as a new 60" LCD

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Those early ATI cards are slightly interesting because they actually had full CGA and Hercules compatibility, which few other VGA cards could do - that's why CGA games always show up as pink and blue on a VGA card, regardless of what colour the game is supposed to be.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

GreenNight posted:

I had a 73" DLP TV. Went through 2 bulbs. I sold it with my condo.

*in Mitch Hedberg voice* Here, you throw this away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I even left her with an extra bulb on my sweet 1080i TV.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Sweevo posted:

Those early ATI cards are slightly interesting because they actually had full CGA and Hercules compatibility, which few other VGA cards could do - that's why CGA games always show up as pink and blue on a VGA card, regardless of what colour the game is supposed to be.

This just triggered super early memories of trying all the different video and sound modes in DOS games, and having no idea why certain ones worked. I knew VGA was better than CGA because V comes after C in the alphabet, but sound was a mystery.

Gravis Ultrasound, AdLib, Soundblaster... what were these things?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I love how old expansion cards had random ports on them. Here's your sound card, also plug your scanner into it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I've seen a poo poo-ton of SB16 cards with IDE controllers onboard. I imagine because back in the day, they came combined with 2x CDROM drives as a drop-in upgrade for computers with only a single IDE channel. Probably in a box with the SB16, CDROM drive, a set of speakers, and cabling, from Creative, sold as a "multimedia experience upgrade" or somesuch.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rndmnmbr posted:

I've seen a poo poo-ton of SB16 cards with IDE controllers onboard. I imagine because back in the day, they came combined with 2x CDROM drives as a drop-in upgrade for computers with only a single IDE channel. Probably in a box with the SB16, CDROM drive, a set of speakers, and cabling, from Creative, sold as a "multimedia experience upgrade" or somesuch.

Don't forget the one off CD connectors like Sony, Mitsumi and Panasonic which weren't IDE

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You Am I posted:

Don't forget the one off CD connectors like Sony, Mitsumi and Panasonic which weren't IDE

The ones I've seen were a tossup between proprietary like those three, SCSI ran across a 40-pin cable, or legit IDE. Mostly legit IDE, would recognize a hard drive (e. in Windows, couldn't set C/H/S on the drive for the BIOS to recognize it so it was usable in DOS) but read speeds were slow, couldn't boot from it, one device only because it wouldn't recognize the slave drive (and start garbling data on the master drive if you tried).

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Dec 5, 2019

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

rndmnmbr posted:

Yes!

This is the Discovery bundle and there was also one called Edutainment. SB16 with IDE and Joystick port, 2x CDROM, and a bunch of CDs. I eventually got one when my family visited my sister in college in the "big city" at Christmas. It was torture to have this amazing box full of goodies, but be nowhere near my PC! I don't remember which one I got though - whatever bundle came with Lemmings and Loom.

E: it was also my introduction to dma and irq conflicts and motherboard jumpers!

Wifi Toilet has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Dec 5, 2019

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I have a feeling I have those speakers around somewhere. I got something similar as a kid.
It also had software with text to speech things.

There was also the later trend of Creative CD roms with play controls on the front and an IR sensor.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cojawfee posted:

I love how old expansion cards had random ports on them. Here's your sound card, also plug your scanner into it.

Before the mid-486 era motherboards only held the CPU, RAM, and keyboard socket. Everything else was on cards, and you only had eight slots so it made sense to put as much stuff onto each card as possible to reduce the number of cards needed. This is why you got a lot of "Super I/O" ISA cards where one card would have IDE, floppy, parallel, serial, and joystick, why some early graphics cards had a printer port on them, or why random cards had a mouse port tucked into an unused corner of the PCB.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

BogDew posted:

I have a feeling I have those speakers around somewhere. I got something similar as a kid.
It also had software with text to speech things.
Remember Dr. Sbaitso? I can't remember but assume there was other text to speech software included too.

quote:

There was also the later trend of Creative CD roms with play controls on the front and an IR sensor.
Did they come with a remote control? I assume it was only to control the CD and the rest of the PC was unaware except maybe it got told that now a new track was playing?

Sweevo posted:

This is why you got a lot of "Super I/O" ISA cards where one card would have IDE, floppy, parallel, serial, and joystick,
Parallel, serial (even just one) and joystick ports wouldn't all fit on the one bracket though so you'd normally have ribbon cable(s) from the card to a second bracket. I had - oh poo poo, HAVE - some cases that had holes you could punch out to put those extra ports in so you didn't waste another slot, but I never used them.. yet.

I seem to recall 2 IDE channels (with 2 drives each) being a fairly typical limit and was wondering recently if those proprietary buses for CDs were useful as a way to be able to have 4 HDDs and still have a CD drive? I don't think that's why those proprietary buses existed - I assume they were just cheaper than providing a standard bus - but maybe they had this side benefit at a much cheaper price point than SCSI?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Top Quality Multimedia Titles

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijq8pcr_vkg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buttcoin purse posted:

Remember Dr. Sbaitso? I can't remember but assume there was other text to speech software included too.

Yeah Sbaitso just used that. It's a TSR called SBTALKER.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Dec 5, 2019

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while...

loadhigh mouse.sys

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did they come with a remote control?
Yup.
They pretty much controlled the CD playback like a standard player. Apparently could be used to control presentations. Which is possibly what the mouse lock button is for.

If that actually locked the mouse I wish I had a remote during my LAN days.

http://audiodesignguide.com/cdplayer/iNFRA4800/infra48main.html#anchor1172143

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neito posted:

Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while...

loadhigh mouse.sys

Good news: SBTALKER will load itself into EMS if available.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sweevo posted:

Before the mid-486 era motherboards only held the CPU, RAM, and keyboard socket. Everything else was on cards, and you only had eight slots so it made sense to put as much stuff onto each card as possible to reduce the number of cards needed. This is why you got a lot of "Super I/O" ISA cards where one card would have IDE, floppy, parallel, serial, and joystick, why some early graphics cards had a printer port on them, or why random cards had a mouse port tucked into an unused corner of the PCB.

I had one of these:

That's a sound card. Yes, those are SIMM slots on the sound card; you could add up to 32 megs of RAM to load samples into.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I had never heard of the (Tandy) Memorex VIS before today, but this promo video for it is extremely 90s and very bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5JTBbZ_Kg

Having done a little looking, this system looks like it is the textbook definition of "early adopter's remorse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FpJFjs_7Y

Everything about this system feels like it's out of a weird dream.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I had never heard of the (Tandy) Memorex VIS before today, but this promo video for it is extremely 90s and very bonkers:

Having done a little looking, this system looks like it is the textbook definition of "early adopter's remorse."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FpJFjs_7Y

Everything about this system feels like it's out of a weird dream.

Co-developed by Microsoft, they've been thirsty to create a TV computer "appliance" for longer than I've thought.

I can't help but wonder how badly Space Quest 4 would actually play on that thing since wireless then was pretty much IR only.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

I seem to recall 2 IDE channels (with 2 drives each) being a fairly typical limit and was wondering recently if those proprietary buses for CDs were useful as a way to be able to have 4 HDDs and still have a CD drive? I don't think that's why those proprietary buses existed - I assume they were just cheaper than providing a standard bus - but maybe they had this side benefit at a much cheaper price point than SCSI?

IDE was originally only designed for control of hardisks, early IDE could only handle hard drives and not other types of devices. Thus the creation of these proprietary interfaces for CD-ROM drives. The ATAPI protocol was eventually created to allow attachment of other types of devices such optical drives, zip disks, etc... to IDE. Fun fact... ATAPI actually just encapsulates SCSI commands over IDE. So at the base level the OS is sending SCSI commands to ATAPI devices.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I guarantee you there were kids out there who absolutely begged for this because they thought it would actually beam them into the TV screen. That sort of thing is going to happen when the demo video shows a family being beamed into the TV screen, and then the mascot says "With VIS, you can actually get inside your TV!" Adults will see that as just a clumsy-rear end way of saying it's interactive, but kids will just see that it said it literally zaps you into the screen to have dinosaur adventures.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did they come with a remote control? I assume it was only to control the CD and the rest of the PC was unaware except maybe it got told that now a new track was playing?

I used one of those as a stand-alone CD player for a bit - the control buttons, volume wheel, and headphone jack work fine without a PC. I didn't have a remote for that one, but I imagine they would work about the same. CD audio out was a line level analog cable separate from the data connection, so you didn't need any OS support.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Platystemon posted:

That's exactly it. Yea i can see why seeing its depth would be hard based on that information. Had no idea it was a projection tv, i always saw them as huge crazy things.
Like this

Every time I see or hear about one, it has big Divorced Dad Energy attached, because all my friends who had divorced dads had one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the 1950s, people worried a lot. (I wonder why?) One of the things they worried about was that watching TV in a dark room would cause eyestrain. The solution? The TV lamp. It sat on the top of the TV and cast a dim glow on the wall behind it; this supposedly protected your eyes by lowering the contrast between the bright TV and the room, without making it harder to see the TV.

There were many options, in pottery, plaster, and fiberglass.

Mount Rushmore

Sailboat

Owl (note light-up eyes!)

Water mill with planter

A couple of other anti-eyestrain solutions I remember: a publisher all of whose books were on pale-green paper, again to diminish contrast, and special reading floor lamps that featured one upright lamp to light the whole room and one to be angled so that the light came over your left shoulder. I remember having the illumination come over your left shoulder -- not the right, who knows why -- being a big deal.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

special reading floor lamps that featured one upright lamp to light the whole room and one to be angled so that the light came over your left shoulder.

I bought one of these this year and it's pretty cool.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the 1950s, people worried a lot. (I wonder why?) One of the things they worried about was that watching TV in a dark room would cause eyestrain. The solution? The TV lamp. It sat on the top of the TV and cast a dim glow on the wall behind it; this supposedly protected your eyes by lowering the contrast between the bright TV and the room, without making it harder to see the TV.

There were many options, in pottery, plaster, and fiberglass.

Mount Rushmore

Sailboat

Owl (note light-up eyes!)

Water mill with planter

A couple of other anti-eyestrain solutions I remember: a publisher all of whose books were on pale-green paper, again to diminish contrast, and special reading floor lamps that featured one upright lamp to light the whole room and one to be angled so that the light came over your left shoulder. I remember having the illumination come over your left shoulder -- not the right, who knows why -- being a big deal.

Not even obsolete! Bias Lighting is definitely still a thing. https://lifehacker.com/why-bias-lighting-increases-your-tvs-contrast-and-saves-1695117890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Having a separate directional light is neat; do you carefully place it over your left shoulder?