Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DD4S-2hTA0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

limaCAT posted:

I emulate that by developing java code inside Eclipse or RAD. :gonk:

Lol if you don't use IDEA.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

gschmidl posted:

Lol if you don't use IDEA.

Big software companies don't become big and rich by buying IDEs.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Klyith posted:

(Amd 3600, 5700 GPU, B450 mobo, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD, ok PSU, cheapest case = about $900. That's not what I'd call "cutting edge" but it's like a next gen console in 2019.)

That's way better than a next gen console unless AMD has some voodoo poo poo they've been keeping under wraps. It better be, considering it's double the price and pulls 600W+ from the wall at full tilt.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

2 years ago I put together a cutting edge gaming PC with a GTX 1080, Ryzen 7700 1700x, 1 TB SSD (I think I purchased this at the same time) 16 GB of RAM and a new motherboard for about $1k. I already had the PSU and hard drives.

$800 is hyperbolic but it will get you a good enough PC that can run pretty much every game out right now at medium settings at 1080p, which is fine for most people. If you want to run it at high 4k I'd say $1200 is more reasonable.

Of course if you add in the value of a PC letting you do stuff like programming, video editing, web surfing and 3D modeling it's a much better deal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
And less eyestrain from tiny-rear end phone screens is a benefit all of its own.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

doingitwrong posted:

This is a bad argument. I’m pretty sure Forbes pays their bloggers

heh

ahaha

hahahahhaha AAAHHHH HAHAHAHA

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

good thread title btw

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
true story: I have been invited to become a professional Forbes Blogger a few times. They literally scrape the internet for articles on topics they haven't covered and contact the authors to see if they want to post for Forbes for free. There is no vetting or payment that I'm aware of. There is an editor involved, but they only do spot-checks of already published work. There's no vetting content, you could just post goatse over and over and it would probably stay up for a day or two.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

true story: I have been invited to become a professional Forbes Blogger a few times. They literally scrape the internet for articles on topics they haven't covered and contact the authors to see if they want to post for Forbes for free. There is no vetting or payment that I'm aware of. There is an editor involved, but they only do spot-checks of already published work. There's no vetting content, you could just post goatse over and over and it would probably stay up for a day or two.

Sounds like the same quality control as Stadia.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

true story: I have been invited to become a professional Forbes Blogger a few times. They literally scrape the internet for articles on topics they haven't covered and contact the authors to see if they want to post for Forbes for free. There is no vetting or payment that I'm aware of.
Wikipedia says that "contributors are paid based on traffic to their respective Forbes.com pages," but it doesn't really explain what exactly makes someone qualify as a contributor. Might be they just thought you wouldn't count for it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cardiovorax posted:

Wikipedia says that "contributors are paid based on traffic to their respective Forbes.com pages," but it doesn't really explain what exactly makes someone qualify as a contributor. Might be they just thought you wouldn't count for it.

There's probably some penny ante revenue sharing scheme but I didn't pursue it far enough to find out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Klyith posted:

Running F2P multiplayer game servers is way easier and cheaper than running a Stadia cloud.

1 Fortnight server supports 100 people. 1 Statia instance supports 1 person and requires a $250 GPU. The costs are a couple orders of magnitude different.

But F2P players... Buy things. They spend money.

Look at my other point - with Stadia Basic, Google will be offering streaming (supposedly) forever in perpetuity for anyone who purchases a game. What if, say, they get a game, maybe on a very heavy sale, and play it for hundreds of hours without spending any more money on it than the initial purchase? How is that any more financially viable than a F2P game? Hell, it could be argued it's LESS sustainable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rad Valtar posted:

Sounds like the same quality control as Stadia.

Unironically, it's a similar model. Sell other people's content while paying them as little as humanly possible and automating out every potential point of human contact. Google's selling video games much in the same way they're selling everything else.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Look at my other point - with Stadia Basic, Google will be offering streaming (supposedly) forever in perpetuity for anyone who purchases a game. What if, say, they get a game, maybe on a very heavy sale, and play it for hundreds of hours without spending any more money on it than the initial purchase? How is that any more financially viable than a F2P game? Hell, it could be argued it's LESS sustainable.

Whales spend money. The vast majority of players don’t and would be consuming a massive amount of resources for google with no upside

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Maybe Google wants to bully PG&E into giving them cheaper electricity as well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

Whales spend money. The vast majority of players don’t and would be consuming a massive amount of resources for google with no upside

Ok? Whales spend money. Therefore F2P players spend money.

If the bandwidth costs really are so high that Google can afford no F2P games on Stadia, well... What relevance does Stadia have in a marketplace where the absolutely biggest games are F2P? They seriously just made their flagship product one that functionally cuts itself off entirely from that market? Sounds like some executives should give their bonuses back.

And, again, if I buy a game on Stadia Basic for, say, $10 or $20, how much playtime on that game will it take before I've literally made Google pay any profits they made in bandwidth costs? I still say that's a bigger potential problem than any F2P game presents. Because at least F2P games try to get you to spend more money.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2019

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
All of that is why I think they are lying about the free service now and it's actually going to have some pretty strict restrictions on it if it ever launches.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, agreed. I just don't see how the financials work for them on that. And if they lied about the 4K/60FPS, they certainly can lie about this too. Maybe the streams for the Basic version will be hilariously throttled and look/play like crap? We won't know until people can actually buy it, of course.

This should REALLY be a subscription service only, with an immediately available library of games, no purchases necessary. As it stands, it seems bad for both Google and the consumer.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, agreed. I just don't see how the financials work for them on that. And if they lied about the 4K/60FPS, they certainly can lie about this too. Maybe the streams for the Basic version will be hilariously throttled and look/play like crap? We won't know until people can actually buy it, of course.

This should REALLY be a subscription service only, with an immediately available library of games, no purchases necessary. As it stands, it seems bad for both Google and the consumer.

Calling it now, the Basic version will implement ads the same way YouTube does, but exclusively with advertisements for the Premium version of Stadia.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
And mangosteen.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

limaCAT posted:

I emulate that by developing java code inside Eclipse or RAD. :gonk:

Oh god ECLIPSE!

Get yourself some *intelly based UI, not matter what. Escape the Eclipse hellscape.

Fix your life with a single click here:
https://www.jetbrains.com/

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 5, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have not wached the full video, but Tomb Raider is kind of a old videogame. Better textures are not really a upgrade more than 512 resolution textures for Minecraft.

It does looks good on Stadia, but is a layer of pretty over a old game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

See, this is what I'm talking about : Destiny 2 will remain a Stadia Pro free title, what does that mean for Stadia Base?

Things Google doesn't have an answer for:
- Can Stadia Base players EVER play Destiny 2?
- If so, will they have to pay for The Collection, or can they get the F2P version?
- What will the price be if they do?
- Does Destiny 2 ever expire as a Pro game, so that new Pro subscribers don't get access to it? Will they have to then buy it?
- Can Pro players who let their Pro subscription lapse still play Destiny 2, like they can with all other games they receive through Pro?

I think they don't have answers to these questions because they don't know either. This is all being decided by seat-of-their-pants decisions. That doesn't bode well for its future.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stadia communications is amateur hour every day.

I THINK the Stadia Destiny version include the seasons till summer 2020, but is not clear

Theres only one person from stadia that seems to have his poo poo togueter. GraceFromGoogle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Bandwidth for google is not a concern, google gets deals on bandwidth and operates their own fiber trunks. That is gonna be cheaper for them than the cost of operating the servers.

But if you want to talk about ways they could cut down on costs for free users, think about this: playing on stadia is already playing in a VM instance. I bet you could split each GPU between two VMs, if you cut the game rendering resolution down to 720p and chose the right settings. So just like the Pro has a "4k stream" that's actually 1080 or 1440 upscaled, the Free tier might get a "1080p stream" that's even worse. That would cut their costs in half.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't really see how that makes it feasible to give away unlimited VM time even if it is cheaper

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mind you, Geforce Now has been chugging along just fine for free.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

tater_salad posted:

I'm not justifying it at all. You have me all wrong guy. Stadia is not a good value right now. Their games are overpriced, their subscription model is sub-par. And their concept isn't mind-blowing. They're also failing to deliver on their promises.

I have a pretty nice PC for all my VR racing and killing dude, Garmin, truck driving and editing needs.

I'm just saying $800 for a state of the art gaming PC is a bit of a stretch. Even understanding that when I built mine 128gb SSDs were $100 and I was paying $100 for a 16gb stick of ram.

Yeah, saying you can get a cutting edge gaming PC for $800 is a little much but you can get a good mid-range gaming PC for that much if you know where you can cut some corners.

Here's a list of parts for an $811 PC with an RTX 2060 that's capable of 1440p 60fps at High to Ultra settings in modern AAA games:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Cloud gaming will be good for pivoting platforms, and for people who don't want to put in the time and effort to compare upfront vs. recurring costs. Those are the only situations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Klyith posted:

Bandwidth for google is not a concern, google gets deals on bandwidth and operates their own fiber trunks. That is gonna be cheaper for them than the cost of operating the servers.

But if you want to talk about ways they could cut down on costs for free users, think about this: playing on stadia is already playing in a VM instance. I bet you could split each GPU between two VMs, if you cut the game rendering resolution down to 720p and chose the right settings. So just like the Pro has a "4k stream" that's actually 1080 or 1440 upscaled, the Free tier might get a "1080p stream" that's even worse. That would cut their costs in half.

Any effort at cutting their costs is just a band-aid on the fact they've promised unlimited free access to streaming of these games to anyone who buys them (including lapsed Pro subscribers). It's got to catch up with them at some point.

I'm not saying Base is for sure going to have a subscription fee, but like said before, I do expect it to change drastically from what was initially promised.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I tried this thing on chrome using a code from hostille and, farming simulator had some pretty awful stuttering and delays, the delays were not as visible on a controller, but the moment you use a mouse its awful.
Destiny 2 looks horrible and has some awful latency.
tomb raider looks like a mid 2000's computer on low settings, with some inconsistent latency on controller and nauseating one in keyboard+mouse.
Fighting game is unplayable because of the latency.

Anyway, its worse than I expected, it caps out at 30/31 mbits and I am close to their headquarters, I played a match of fortnite the other day in GeForce now and it was fine with keyboard and mouse. I tried xcloud on my phone and works fine in Forza, but I wouldn't use any of those over local hardware. Stadia somehow loads games slower than my xbox one S and doesn't have the "cool" of gforcenow or xcloud of quickly loading things.

google hosed this up badly

Edit: can't test it on my pixel as it only works with the stadia controller there lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Any effort at cutting their costs is just a band-aid on the fact they've promised unlimited free access to streaming of these games to anyone who buys them (including lapsed Pro subscribers). It's got to catch up with them at some point.

I'm not saying Base is for sure going to have a subscription fee, but like said before, I do expect it to change drastically from what was initially promised.

I think you're vastly underestimating the depth of Google's money hole. Absolutely nothing about streaming games is profitable for anyone involved and won't be for years. This is entirely about market capture. Their whole gamble is that if they're first out the door with something that works, everyone will think they invented it. Even as badly as this whole thing is going, they're at least getting a little traction on that front as you can see by apostle's posting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gamefly ran a game streaming service 15 years ago. It was completely unplayable garbage, but they did it. The whole thing apparently shut down as late as 2018, which really came as a surprise to me. I don't know anyone who ever used for more than five minutes before giving up in disgust.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmZqRTLo9Lg

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

thats a creepy tumbnail, also lol still on the 4k 60 fps

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think you're vastly underestimating the depth of Google's money hole. Absolutely nothing about streaming games is profitable for anyone involved and won't be for years. This is entirely about market capture. Their whole gamble is that if they're first out the door with something that works, everyone will think they invented it. Even as badly as this whole thing is going, they're at least getting a little traction on that front as you can see by apostle's posting.

On the other hand Google has institutional ADD so... being able to sink infinite money into things doesn't help when everyone involved made their nut and Alphabet doesn't give a poo poo anymore.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The ads for Stadia are perfect.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If that's true why doesn't Stadia have any F2P games? That's by far the biggest gaming market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah and add in that the ongoing costs are likely to shrink over time, if computing trends continue. If they deploy another round of servers with newer GPUs they'll be able to split up resources for sure.

On the other hand: the verge just ran a neat article about Gaiki / PSNow history. A lot of Stadia's team has connections to that, and they seem to be trying to make Gaiki II based on some of the original pitch they had back in 2010.

Best bit:

quote:

“David, we don’t want anyone to play our game.” When Perry asked why, he says they replied: “Because the trailer does a better job of convincing them our game is good. The game isn’t very good to be honest, but the trailer makes it look good.”
And that's the thing that hasn't changed. Stadia's missing features & technical issues can be ironed out. The economics between Google & the stadia customers can be tweaked around until more people find it an acceptable deal. But the games & publishers are going to be a problem for google.

I doubt anyone who makes games wants to be on the Spotify model. Spotify has been horrible for music artists. That's why stadia isn't netflix. So google will have to get into making games themselves to provide a library of content for subscribers. They won't be able to cherry pick deals with financially troubled AAA studios like Bungie forever. And I think that's where Google is gonna have the most trouble.