Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Arc Light posted:

It's very much dependent on the GS job.

As an example, the US Air Force has the Air Force Engineering and Technical Services. They're GS civilians who work as trainers and technicians in comm and maintenance.

They're required to maintain the same medical, physical, and training standards for deploying as uniformed members of the military. When they deploy, they wear Air Force camo fatigues and carry weapons, and are recognized as combatants under the Geneva Conventions.

On the other hand, your average GS doesn't need to be deployable, and if they do go out the door, they're not legal combatants.

Is the thought process here that they’d be tasked with taking up arms to help with the defense if push comes to shove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

M_Gargantua posted:

You can be a regular normal goon and also be an “X with delusions of grandeur” on the Internet. In fact being extremely online pretty much requires some flavor of broke brains

That's a big 10-4 good buddy. But I'd prefer it if you called Emperor Bonaparte, thanks in advance

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If I’m a civilian and you’re in the military I outrank you. Sorry. That’s the way it is.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

colachute posted:

If I’m a civilian military dependent and you’re in the military I outrank you. Sorry. That’s the way it is.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dependa thoughts

Don't minimize the hardest job in the military. You'll never be able to get Scentsy products again

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

colachute posted:

If I’m a veteran and you’re in the military I outrank you. Sorry. That’s the way it is.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nystral posted:

Is the thought process here that they’d be tasked with taking up arms to help with the defense if push comes to shove?

So nowadays, the GS-equivalency more or less barely matters. The only thing I've ever seen that actually makes a difference is that if you're GS-13 or above on an overseas deployment, you get better housing. Basically, if you're below a 13, you get a roommate, and if you're 13 or above, you get your own housing unit. Even then, that poo poo only applies at permanent bases with tons of housing and doesn't mean a drat thing. At best, you're still in camo with the weirdass Civilian triangle "rank" on your chest that confuses the gently caress out of the lower enlisted, who can never seem to figure out if they should salute you or not.

In terms of defense - not really. The most I've heard is that if GS-civilians are authorized to go outside-the-wire on deployments, they might get authorized to carry a pistol or something. Do you really want Joe Fed armed in the event the base comes under attack? They're more drat likely to shoot a friendly.

PS: lol

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1202562168077586433?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh hey Israel up in our poo poo again business as usual with our favorite apartheid state

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm lol

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

EBB posted:

Oh hey Israel up in our poo poo again business as usual with our favorite apartheid state

Wow you better watch it or Nancy will denounce your anti semitism

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Wow you better watch it or Nancy will denounce your anti semitism

OK boomer

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Can someone briefly explain the history of why the US is so beholden to Israel?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

colachute posted:

jesus

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

colachute posted:

One of the major abrahamic world religions (the one with ritual symbolic cannibalism) has numerous apocalyptic death-worshipping sects and our government is infested with those apocalyptic death-worshippers, who think their apocalypse is gonna start in Israel so they're obsessed with making sure they're on good terms with the people who run the place there when it does.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

FAUXTON posted:

One of the major abrahamic world religions (the one with ritual symbolic cannibalism) has numerous apocalyptic death-worshipping sects and our government is infested with those apocalyptic death-worshippers, who think their apocalypse is gonna start in Israel so they're obsessed with making sure they're on good terms with the people who run the place there when it does.

I hope it’s not that simple or stupid.

But it probably is.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

piL posted:

I think it's also so people know where the ambassador's assistant, CIA station chief, and SECDEF office front desk attendant are supposed to be seated at a fancy dinner.

My friends little brother used to pull this kind of thing. He was a high level researcher for the Obama administration (responsible for vetting proposed policies and appointments, etc). He was genuinely in a key role, like regular Oval Office briefing kind of stuff, but claimed his job gave him precedence over General Officers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

colachute posted:

we aren't, they're a de-facto colony, but a pillar of our foreign policy and a laboratory of our domestic policy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

colachute posted:

But it probably is.

Close

They think the Jews have to control Jerusalem for the rapture to happen

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

colachute posted:

But it probably is.

Nah that's pretty much it. Broke brained fundie dipshits jerk themselves raw to willful misunderstandings of Revelations and they all think it will start with Israel. Said broke brained fundie dipshits have a lot of political power in the US so welp, here we are.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
It also has a lot to do with our belief that Israel was a bulwark in the middle east against all the scary soviet aligned Arabs from the 60's through the 80's. That put them firmly in our camp and they have been living off the residuals of that cold war partnership for the past 30 years.

Also the rapture poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

colachute posted:

But it probably is.

It's not. Granted, that is part of the story, but US support for Israel dates back to 1948, when Truman recognized the country shortly after it was founded. Since then the US has had a love-hate relationship with the country, as they've been an ideological ally in a strategic part of the world dominated by Soviet influence, but they've also been the source of massive unrest and target of ire from its Arab neighbors (for both legitimate and illegitimate reasons).

As for why we send them untold amounts of defense equipment, that's due to the Camp David Accords - long story short, the US agreed to provide for the defense of both Israel and Egypt as an incentive for the two to stop attacking each other.

The partisan and religious components of support for Israel are both relatively new, and IIRC have a lot to do with the rise of the far right in both countries (and especially Netanyahu doing everything he can to court Republicans who won't condemn his annexation of Palestinian land).

There's an interesting article here from a few months ago about the history of Israel's ideological relationship with the West if you want to dive further into it: Israel and the decline of the liberal order

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

colachute posted:

But it probably is.

There's a helping of good old fashioned colonial racism in there. Israel has effectively created an image as a bulwark of white/western civilization in the Middle East.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There was a solid undercurrent of "well, it worked in Israel!" to some of the neocons' thoughts on how Iraq was going to go. A different kind of forever war!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Somebody tell the evangelicals that if they pull the Israel funxbux it will accelerate the rapture when al-Quds falls.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There was a solid undercurrent of "well, it worked in Israel!" to some of the neocons' thoughts on how Iraq was going to go. A different kind of forever war!

You can see how far that went given our treatment of the persecuted religious minority attempting to form an independent state in their ancestral lands

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EBB posted:

Somebody tell the evangelicals that if they pull the Israel funxbux it will accelerate the rapture when al-Quds falls.

My family is big into the whole Israel worship bit.

Basically armageddon will be triggered when all nations turn their backs to Israel. That is a given scripturally. All the nations that turn on Israel are generally referred to as fallen and ungodly. So, when the USA finally turns their back on Israel it will signify that we are no longer a godly nation / city on a hill and are now controlled by Satan.

Therefore as god-fearing patriotic americans there is no room in your heart to condemn Israel for anything because if you do that you also have to admit that the USA is not exceptional and not a godly people etc.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

facialimpediment posted:

Do you really want Joe Fed armed in the event the base comes under attack? They're more drat likely to shoot a friendly.

They do give weapons to USAF personnel, and from my experiences, I wouldn’t trust about 90% of them in that situation.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll take "What's Old Is New Again" for $500, Alex.

Uber Office Had Separate Bathrooms for Drivers and ‘Employees’

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

pkells posted:

They do give weapons to USAF personnel, and from my experiences, I wouldn’t trust about 90% of them in that situation.

While I agree with you, most ND's I ever saw were Army

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That Works posted:

My family is big into the whole Israel worship bit.

Basically armageddon will be triggered when all nations turn their backs to Israel. That is a given scripturally. All the nations that turn on Israel are generally referred to as fallen and ungodly. So, when the USA finally turns their back on Israel it will signify that we are no longer a godly nation / city on a hill and are now controlled by Satan.

Therefore as god-fearing patriotic americans there is no room in your heart to condemn Israel for anything because if you do that you also have to admit that the USA is not exceptional and not a godly people etc.

Hail Satan, O' Dread Lord and Dark Master

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

While I agree with you, most ND's I ever saw were Army

At the ol’ armored car company in the span of 8 years we had 4 discharges. 2 glocks, 1 XD and 1 revolver and all prior Marines.

Two glocks in the locker room I hope they never repaired the lockers.
XD shot off in a cab of a vehiclen in route. Killed the alternator and the truck was offline.
Revolver got yanked out of the holster by the seatbelt when the driver jumped out of the cab. He caught the gun before it fell and managed to pull the trigger and shoot the roof.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

pkells posted:

In 2004 I had a Air Force SP unit ND their SAW and had a round fly by my head, they then drove off in a hurry and dropped a pistol. Also had a Marine gate guard fall asleep and open up with a 50 cal barely missing a bus full of detainees as we pulled into Abu Gharib. Had a Navy unit somehow lob Mk 19 rounds towards a guard tower as they were leaving the base. And finally after the CSM had put forth a policy that any ND was a automatic Article 15, watched a O-6 fire his pistil into the clearing barrel in front of the DFAC. If I could get shot at by the Coast Guard I would be happy that I could check off my Bingo card.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Also that 10% of "competent" Air Force people isn't a very good barometer either. We had a CRO (pararescue officer) fire the teams SAW through the helicopter's cabin floor accidentally. This is after the same CRO loaded his M4 mag upside down.

Edit: also we should probably move this discussion to the idiots thread instead of filling up the CE thread with a derail about ND's.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 5, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Edit: also we should probably move this discussion to the idiots thread instead of filling up the CE thread with a derail about ND's.

Not my call, but please continue with NDchat! There's not that much going on today (watch me be wrong) outside of expected poo poo like Pelosi going full speed ahead on blessing impeachment articles and Iran killing roughly a thousand people in the protests there.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

At the ol’ armored car company in the span of 8 years we had 4 discharges. 2 glocks, 1 XD and 1 revolver and all prior Marines.

XD shot off in a cab of a vehiclen in route. Killed the alternator and the truck was offline.
Revolver got yanked out of the holster by the seatbelt when the driver jumped out of the cab. He caught the gun before it fell and managed to pull the trigger and shoot the roof.

Holy poo poo that last one is wild

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Isn't pararescue the AF special forces or whatever

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't pararescue the AF special forces or whatever

They're sounding pretty special from you guys stories.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LingcodKilla posted:

How the gently caress do you ND an XD unless I'm incorrect in thinking that's the Springfield XD with like 3 different safeties.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
....how often do NDs occur? Like in a normal unit of not idiots? Reading ^ and the idiot thread, it makes it seem things accidentally go BANG! a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Saint Celestine posted:

....how often do NDs occur? Like in a normal unit of not idiots? Reading ^ and the idiot thread, it makes it seem things accidentally go BANG! a lot.

Yeah I was re-reading stuff about the XD's design and not only is there the regular ol thumb safety but a grip safety that locks the slide when not gripped, a trigger safety, and a drop safety that won't let the striker fire without all that poo poo being unsafed first so either that's not the XD in question or someone was treating their dash as a clearing barrel