Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Are any of the songs from Daddy-O or The Beatniks on Spotify? If not, then it's not worth bothering with :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't have the soundtrack for Beatniks but I do have two tablas and what may be a piece of 60 year old hashish

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I came, I saw, I bought the t-shirt.

The show was great. This one was "No Retreat, No Surrender". Joel chided the people who sang the "la la la" part when they weren't supposed to. I loved the new additions to the cast for the live show. I ran into a bunch of people I knew who I had no idea were fans.

If anyone else is still on the fence, try finding some tickets now. Definitely a memorable night.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody at my showing yelled Joel should play Free Bird when he had the guitar and he actually started to.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I'm looking at the March 1st show in Madison and it says it's No Retreat No Surrender, but when I click on "buy tickets" it shows a 7 o'clock show AND a 9 o'clock show.

Has anybody run into this? I know when I went to the 30th anniversary tour they did two different movies back to back. I'm not sure if this is like that, or if I'd be seeing the same movie twice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what you can find though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSSi5R3Ja6o

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out the live show was near my hotel on Saturday so I bought the tickets that day.

Good-rear end show, Circus of Horror should've been an actual episode.

"How.......ARE Y'ALL DOING TONIGHT?!"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody at my showing yelled Joel should play Free Bird when he had the guitar and he actually started to.

Nice

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Dawgstar posted:

I'd put money down this happens at 90% of the shows, if not all of them (he did it at ours, and its a pretty hack joke for the audience to yell).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ms Boods posted:

True Confession: I have all of the Beau Brummels LPs. (Their biggest hit was 'Laugh Laugh', but it's not on the Village of the Gods soundtrack).

Surely you're going to track down the band that played California Lady for your playlist.

Got you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cW6rZSruo&t=603s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I finished the MST3K comic the other day- I hope they do more honestly. The first issue was cute but it actually got really fun as it went along. the Crow Keeper was great

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clouseau posted:

I'd put money down this happens at 90% of the shows, if not all of them (he did it at ours, and its a pretty hack joke for the audience to yell).

Same with us yesterday, and they had script to react to it. ("It's almost like they know to yell that!").

Had a blast with No Retreat No Surrender, which somehow I'd never seen despite being in my wheelhouse. It's weird how I always consider MST3K a better concept than execution, then I'll go see it live (or to the Rifftrax MST3K reunion thing the other year which I saw in a movie theater) and I'll laugh my rear end off the entire time. Maybe it's the audience factor, and having a few beers that helps. The Mac and Me episode on Netflix was great too, I'm a real sucker for bad 80s movies which they wouln't have had access to for most of the shows run really.

One thing I'm curious about, at one point during the show last night Joel left the podium and was replaced by Emily briefly, before he came back. I didn't hear any obvious reason as to why he did this, so assuming it's just part of the passing the torch thing they did at the end? I liked her during the show, so would be intrigued to see if that is how it goes for the next reincarntaion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Twitch channel reminded me that Mike Nelson is LORD OF THE DANCE.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Golly! Colour me well chuffed.

It's amazing how many weird, obscure things the show has managed to bring back to light.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

The Twitch channel reminded me that Mike Nelson is LORD OF THE DANCE.

Did the other one die?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same with us yesterday, and they had script to react to it. ("It's almost like they know to yell that!").

Had a blast with No Retreat No Surrender, which somehow I'd never seen despite being in my wheelhouse. It's weird how I always consider MST3K a better concept than execution, then I'll go see it live (or to the Rifftrax MST3K reunion thing the other year which I saw in a movie theater) and I'll laugh my rear end off the entire time. Maybe it's the audience factor, and having a few beers that helps. The Mac and Me episode on Netflix was great too, I'm a real sucker for bad 80s movies which they wouln't have had access to for most of the shows run really.

One thing I'm curious about, at one point during the show last night Joel left the podium and was replaced by Emily briefly, before he came back. I didn't hear any obvious reason as to why he did this, so assuming it's just part of the passing the torch thing they did at the end? I liked her during the show, so would be intrigued to see if that is how it goes for the next reincarntaion.

Here are a few '80s movies they did during the original run that are great episodes:
Pod People
Master Ninja I
Master Ninja II
Warrior of the Lost World
Alien from L.A.
Outlaw
Zombie Nightmare
Space Mutiny
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
The Pumaman
Hobgoblins
Final Justice

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks! I’ll add those to my collection.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
City Limits is an 80's flick as well.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

There are more, I just picked my favorites

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Do a lot of coke and vote for Ronald Reagan!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Watched Track of the Moon Beast last night and it was funny but mostly made me homesick. Reminded me of a movie my scout troop made back in high school (with about the same quality, though I'm pretty sure ours never showed outside of a VCR in an assembly hall). I need to find a chance to get back to NM for a visit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Watched Track of the Moon Beast last night and it was funny but mostly made me homesick. Reminded me of a movie my scout troop made back in high school (with about the same quality, though I'm pretty sure ours never showed outside of a VCR in an assembly hall). I need to find a chance to get back to NM for a visit.

Did you attempt to startle each other and then immediately apologize for rushing the Halloween season?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Did you attempt to startle each other and then immediately apologize for rushing the Halloween season?

No, but since our town had been evacuated due to a forest fire that year they had some great footage to use when they evacuated the city because of the Bond Villan's plot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I re-watched the scene on Track of the Moon Beast where the Bots reenact the Halloween season rushing bit and found it more funny than I ever had before, simply by virtue of focusing on Mike. The man has a gift for doing something mundane and barely acknowledging the world around him and making it seem hilarious. (See also the 'Mike the audiophile' bit from The Creeping Terror.')

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I re-watched the scene on Track of the Moon Beast where the Bots reenact the Halloween season rushing bit and found it more funny than I ever had before, simply by virtue of focusing on Mike. The man has a gift for doing something mundane and barely acknowledging the world around him and making it seem hilarious. (See also the 'Mike the audiophile' bit from The Creeping Terror.')

People underestimate what a good straightman brings to the table.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bruceski posted:

This holds up, particularly if you've heard him read the dialog from Santa's Christmas circus.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dawgstar posted:

Never mind that; I want to know if Bruceski has a recipe for stew, and if so, what's in it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

Never mind that; I want to know if Bruceski has a recipe for stew, and if so, what's in it?

That was the classic NMican recipe. The important part is the sigh before adding the onions, lot of folks forget that and it just doesn't taste right.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bruceski posted:

He was really good at acting.

I remember a line Conan had about his show versus Letterman.

He said that Letterman was always in control and was sort of above the madness, and they Conan wanted to be part of the madness and couldn't just stop it.

I think that's the difference between Mike and Joel to me. Joel always felt like he was welcoming you to his world, but he was in control. Mike, on the other hand, was not in control and was more a part of the world.

And I love both approaches. Joel always has a style that reminds me of the Muppet Show. I don't know how to best describe it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Joel always has a style that reminds me of the Muppet Show.

Absolutely.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
The dynamic was different for this simple reason: Joel created the bots and so basically was their father figure. Mike had nothing to do with them before he got abducted, so he was pretty much just their goofy human buddy.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I always liked how Mike’s character got fleshed out a bit more. We learned about his past, and the bots would even make fun of him for having been a deadbeat stoner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of my favorite little touches was Mike's escape attempts. Admittedly using calling cards to ring his grandma or throwing a ladder down to Earth might have not been the most efficient methods* but I liked that it did sort of remind the audience Mike was a prisoner and did not actually want to spend his life watching bad movies.

*Shooting Crow down the Umbilicus had potential, mind, although after the first attempt Dr. F laid out a giant moustrap with a Nutrageous in it so that's a shame.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
MST3K is dead. Long live the MST3K general thread.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Mystery Science Theater 3000: now available in new EXTRA BOLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfBr5l4S63Q

Zesty fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 8, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cemetry Gator posted:

And I love both approaches. Joel always has a style that reminds me of the Muppet Show. I don't know how to best describe it.

Jim Henson once said that if each episode of The Muppet Show were a basketball game, the final score would always be Frog 99, Chaos 98.

That seems to sum up Mike's run more than Joel's.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Saw the live show. No Retreat, No Surrender is loving awful. I hope it's not the last new MST3K content! They seemed to be planning to continue the live show, but I dunno if they wrote the show before Netflix canceled them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cemetry Gator posted:

He was really good at acting.

I remember a line Conan had about his show versus Letterman.

He said that Letterman was always in control and was sort of above the madness, and they Conan wanted to be part of the madness and couldn't just stop it.

I think that's the difference between Mike and Joel to me. Joel always felt like he was welcoming you to his world, but he was in control. Mike, on the other hand, was not in control and was more a part of the world.

I mean, he sounds kinda like he's got a good Kermit impression in his back pocket.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PostNouveau posted:

Saw the live show. No Retreat, No Surrender is loving awful. I hope it's not the last new MST3K content! They seemed to be planning to continue the live show, but I dunno if they wrote the show before Netflix canceled them.

the post cancelation messaging has definitely been 'the show will continue' however that may be

obviously they're not announcing anything yet but they're in no way closing the book on mst3k

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it almost feels like Joel anticipated this outcome for a while and has fallback plans given how optimistic the messaging has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that Netflix weren't the only ones interested in the show after the Kickstarter so he probably has some idea of who he can talk to next.