Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Celexi posted:

can't test it on my pixel as it only works with the stadia controller there lol

you can use any HID compatible controller with bluetooth or usb

turn off mouse acceleration and restart the browser, you'll probably have a better experience in Chrome - the mouse acceleration makes it feel like its latency but its not

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Klyith posted:

I doubt anyone who makes games wants to be on the Spotify model. Spotify has been horrible for music artists. That's why stadia isn't netflix. So google will have to get into making games themselves to provide a library of content for subscribers. They won't be able to cherry pick deals with financially troubled AAA studios like Bungie forever. And I think that's where Google is gonna have the most trouble.

Don't worry, they'll have their own internally developed games in

uh

three to four years?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

you can use any controller with bluetooth or usb

If only Google had some sort of web page where all these frequent questions were answered

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's likely. Too many console games are hard-coded to need certain framerates to function properly, if anyone remembers that whole thing with the Dark Souls 1 port flipping its poo poo if you played it at 60FPS at launch.

Or Need for Speed Rivals, where the PC port was also locked to 30 fps by default and ran at like 2X speed if you used command line switches to raise the cap to 60. If you raised it to 120 or so, it ran even faster and the tutorial pop-ups would seemingly no longer let you close them.

UnknownTarget posted:

I find it telling that the major value proposition in the Stadia ads is that it doesn't take up any space, as if that was a major issue with home entertainment systems in the last 20 years. They have really nothing else to sell it on (they could say play anywhere...except it doesn't work on non Pixels).

The "no space" argument might work in Tokyo or something, but at that point you can just buy a Switch and actually play anywhere.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

leftist heap posted:

If only Google had some sort of web page where all these frequent questions were answered

If only you actually did a second of research to see you dont know what you're talking about before acting like a smart rear end

There is a literal help page about this that is very easy to find
https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631?hl=en

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

leftist heap posted:

They actually seem to be on top of this, normally their support sites are annoyingly outdated: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631

Bofast posted:

Or Need for Speed Rivals, where the PC port was also locked to 30 fps by default and ran at like 2X speed if you used command line switches to raise the cap to 60. If you raised it to 120 or so, it ran even faster and the tutorial pop-ups would seemingly no longer let you close them.

Also, amusingly, unlocking the framerate in Fallout 76 is literally a speed hack. Bethesda is the king of riding a creaky old engine.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Incidentally one of the fairly common ways of bumping performance in modern games is to make objects which are further away operate at a lower framerate and just not demand as many resources.
This is extremely noticable in the Earth Defense Force games, though it somehow fits with their general B-movie feel. :D

leftist heap posted:

There is still plenty of time to cut the free service entirely or attach massive caveats to it.

Stadia Novice - 30 fps 480i for that early 2000s console feel.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

true story: I have been invited to become a professional Forbes Blogger a few times. They literally scrape the internet for articles on topics they haven't covered and contact the authors to see if they want to post for Forbes for free. There is no vetting or payment that I'm aware of. There is an editor involved, but they only do spot-checks of already published work. There's no vetting content, you could just post goatse over and over and it would probably stay up for a day or two.

I wasn't aware of that part of their model, though I've run into it a bunch of times from other sites. My impression is that Paul Tassi who is a regular contributor, is on a different revenue model.

Kind of like how Medium has at various points had professional writing teams putting up content alongside random individuals etc.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

If only you actually did a second of research to see you dont know what you're talking about before acting like a smart rear end

Oh my bad, I was looking at the page that comes up when you google "stadia" which is bereft of any actual information about the product.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Oh my bad, I was looking at the page that comes up when you google "stadia" which is bereft of any actual information about the product.

You must have missed that big bolded text that says "More questions? Head to stadia.com/faq"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Ah yes, Stadia has been very reliable with their support pages. Why aren't these stupid consumers not finding our support pages for our poorly documented service?!

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Ah yes, Stadia has been very reliable with their support pages. Why aren't these stupid consumers not finding our support pages for our poorly documented service?!

gently caress, if a customer cant click a prominent help button things are pretty desperate

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

gently caress, if a customer cant click a prominent help button things are pretty desperate

gently caress, if a company can't provide correct hyperlinks to their support documentation in emails to their customers things are pretty desperate.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

doingitwrong posted:

I wasn't aware of that part of their model, though I've run into it a bunch of times from other sites. My impression is that Paul Tassi who is a regular contributor, is on a different revenue model.

Kind of like how Medium has at various points had professional writing teams putting up content alongside random individuals etc.

He's a "senior contributor" which I have to assume means you're getting paid, because that dude is prolific and good, and there are plenty of other ways to make a living at his level. That's not the majority of content on the site, though.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

gently caress, if a company can't provide correct hyperlinks to their support documentation in emails to their customers things are pretty desperate.

Do you use the service? It seems you know nothing about what you speak of.

The controller link I pasted above is literally in the email you get to activate your account along with several others and various instructions & pointers.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

God, this is so bad.

This poo poo like how marketing was to gamers in the 90's

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Someone criticizes Stadia

"Do you even use the service?"

gently caress off

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I have the stadia but it runs constantly in 240p and keeps interrupting play asking me to use my Dial-a-Pirate wheel to look up some number and I didn't get one in the box? Typical half-baked Google product.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Do you use the service? It seems you know nothing about what you speak of.

I posted about it earlier in the thread. My RMA email from Google pointed me to a support document about how to factory reset my device if I had questions regarding how RMA "affects your subscription, access code, buddy pass, and games."

But maybe you forgot about that, or our PM conversation after.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
yea that (one link) was hosed up, but that has nothing to do with the controller point

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

You must have missed that big bolded text that says "More questions? Head to stadia.com/faq"

That link is fuckin buried

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

yea that (one link) was hosed up, but that has nothing to do with the controller point

The point was that people have no faith in Google support documentation for good reason, and expecting people to use it when chances are very good that they've had a bad experience in the past is not a good strategy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They actually seem to be on top of this, normally their support sites are annoyingly outdated: https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631

Also, amusingly, unlocking the framerate in Fallout 76 is literally a speed hack. Bethesda is the king of riding a creaky old engine.

I think it was even enough to just look down at the ground while running forward to go faster.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tormented posted:

God, this is so bad.

This poo poo like how marketing was to gamers in the 90's

It encapsulates just how behind Google really are.

You rarely see "XTREME, ZANY, WACKY, FULL OF 'TUDE" ads like that from Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo anymore.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
man reggie watts has gone full on corporate whore

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

- Can Pro players who let their Pro subscription lapse still play Destiny 2, like they can with all other games they receive through Pro?
What do you mean?
https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578862?hl=en

quote:

What happens to my claimed free games if I’m no longer a Stadia Pro subscriber?

If your subscription to Stadia Pro expires, you will lose access to your claimed free games. When you reactivate your subscription, you will regain access to your claimed free games with your save data intact.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OUYA!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, oops, I misread that.

Still, Destiny 2 is in a weird spot because of that. They're gating access to what is supposed to be a F2P game. From what I'm seeing, it's likely there's not going to be a F2P option for Destiny 2 on Stadia.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Guys please see these instructions if you still have problems on how to find google

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I think including access to it in the Pro tier is their way of disallowing that.

I doubt we'll ever see any truly F2P games available on Stadia and honestly I don't blame them for that. There's no way something like that fits into their business model unless they're expecting people to spend heavily on DLC options for F2P games.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
They said being able to claim Destiny 2 for free with Stadia Pro will go away just not any time soon. Considering everybody in Stadia currently has Pro, we probably won't find out until the free 3 month trial is up.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Google should introduce a no-latency AI assist mode of Stadia where it loads up no-commentary youtube playthroughs and vibrates the controller occasionally.

Has anything changed since it launched? Looking on Twitter and NBA still seems to update itself when you launch it. Are FFXV saves still corrupting themselves? How's the pricing for Darksiders compared to Steam?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I tried it on my pixel phone using an xbox controller that does work wirelessly unlike the stadia one(lol). And it does look and run much better than on chrome, the latency is still there though, but I guess tolerable if not near local hardware, but xcloud does the same without charging for games so I don't understand this business model.

Will try it on someone's chromecast sometime see how it does there

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

uvar posted:

Google should introduce a no-latency AI assist mode of Stadia where it loads up no-commentary youtube playthroughs and vibrates the controller occasionally.

Has anything changed since it launched? Looking on Twitter and NBA still seems to update itself when you launch it. Are FFXV saves still corrupting themselves? How's the pricing for Darksiders compared to Steam?

According to their reddit post, they fixed FFXV. Darksiders is more expensive than Steam because it's using the console pricing sadly.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

American McGay posted:

I doubt we'll ever see any truly F2P games available on Stadia and honestly I don't blame them for that. There's no way something like that fits into their business model unless they're expecting people to spend heavily on DLC options for F2P games.

I mean, that’s the business model for all F2P. The whales fund the game and the rest of us act as cheap AI for them. And F2P is the larger market segment (though that’s a lot to do with Gatcha games and the Asian market and the mobile market all of which are not where Stadia is playing).

But even in PC games as a service is a massive income stream that far outstrips premium games.

The problem is that for Stadia, the cost of supporting a F2P player is so much higher. In the normal business model, we all handle our own rendering and electricity costs at home.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

doingitwrong posted:

I mean, that’s the business model for all F2P. The whales fund the game and the rest of us act as cheap AI for them. And F2P is the larger market segment (though that’s a lot to do with Gatcha games and the Asian market and the mobile market all of which are not where Stadia is playing).
Yeah, but playing a F2P game on your home PC or console doesn't cost the service provider anything (other than the minuscule amount of data required to run it). Compare that to playing a F2P game on Stadia where you're an active drain on the service and infrastructure. Having 20% of their server resources tied up in users who have never spent a dime isn't a cost effective move.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What kind of person is a stadia gamer, you ask?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

shadow puppet of a posted:

What kind of person is a stadia gamer, you ask?

The new dad is going to get used to lagged inputs and he’ll end up dropping the baby when he’s tossing them in the air.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

doingitwrong posted:

The problem is that for Stadia, the cost of supporting a F2P player is so much higher. In the normal business model, we all handle our own rendering and electricity costs at home.

Again, how is this any different from a Base player who pays for a game once and has it forever? I say the F2P model actually makes MORE sense than that for Stadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
As someone who just had a baby, lol. TBF I had a decent bit of time gaming early one (played through DQ11 on the Switch), but certainly not at the fuckin hospital that's just laughable. But it's been 3 months now and it's much, much harder to find gaming time.