Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

PC community is pretty friendly and pleasant. Although there was one time when a nerd point his gun at me and I panicked. I splatted my horse against the side of a building trying to not get shot. I got up, dusted myself off and I blew said offending pubbie's head off out of sheer embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Saul Kain posted:

PC community is pretty friendly and pleasant. Although there was one time when a nerd point his gun at me and I panicked. I splatted my horse against the side of a building trying to not get shot. I got up, dusted myself off and I blew said offending pubbie's head off out of sheer embarrassment.

I don't know what it is about RDO but I've splatted my horse so many more times than I have in story mode. It never stops being hilarious to me though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't know what it is about RDO but I've splatted my horse so many more times than I have in story mode. It never stops being hilarious to me though.

I feel horrible every single time, those horse pain sounds. :qq:
When she gets back up I just spend the next minute petting the hell out of that poor horsie.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Saul Kain posted:

Last night, two pubbies rode by and one of them took a random potshot at me while I was getting back on my horse. I was in defensive and they probably thought I wouldn't do anything about it. I rode them both down and shot them off their horses with my trusty dual LeMats. It was the most :clint: moment, and my new Kladruber really earned his stripes on that.

But yeah, 95% of the time people are chill and actually pretty funny. The over-the-top cowboy RPers who crank the gruff accent up to 11 are my favorite

Deakul posted:

I feel horrible every single time, those horse pain sounds. :qq:
When she gets back up I just spend the next minute petting the hell out of that poor horsie.

I'm... the opposite. I had a horse (the pre-order one) that on paper has good stats but is drat near useless for anything except running on a smooth trail. I found out the game wouldn't let me shoot my own horse after it tripped over a loving pebble one too many times.

Fortunately I replaced him and Hansgruber the Kladruber is much braver and more agile. He performed admirably in the face of a charging grizzly bear and he's only 3/4 bonded levels. He also doesn't trip over every god drat stone or incline. Such a great horse, highly recommended. He gets lots of pats and brushes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I punch my horse in the face when it does something stupid

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't think its obvious enough that Defensive Mode is not the same as Passive Mode. It's basically just a huge buff vs players that discourages them from making the first move. I think how it works is, if you shoot and hit someone your defensive bonus goes away and you get a ton of hostility. However if you get shot and return fire you're ok. So I think people bait you into shooting them first.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm still single-player only, and have somehow yet to get my horse killed, but stuff like almost winning a Stranger race, getting to the last switchback of the trail, and blowing the turn. Thus ramping Default Starter Horse about 30 feet vertically in wheelie mode like an outtake from Nitro Circus. (I went higher, because I fell off near the apex. Somehow survived and remounted to go see dude casually trot into the finish 20 feet away. :smith:

Roach (default freebie?/first available purchase warhorse type) *loves* to drop anchor as I'm trying to make a running dismount, and bounces me off his neck and into a pile on the ground. <insert Yosimite Sam "Whoah, horsie! Please whoah!" here> He literally lowbridged me once, when I was using one of those little gullies under the tracks near the Legendary Coyote spawn. No reason whatsoever, idiot gluebait just jumped as we were galloping through and scraped me off on the timbers.

Sometimes, I don't feel bad about fatfingering the keyboard and accidentally punching the beast.

Murfree Brood seem to have regressed towards humanity again, and developed a brain cell - instead of just trying to roll me out of the woods, or kill me for finding them looting the folks they just murdered, a couple looters spotted me incoming and ran. Still slower than my bullets, though. Plus, they tried an ambush up Cumberland way, by rolling a burning wagon downhill. Missed me, but Roach bucked me off... and half their ambush team was still off hiding behind trees beyond buckshot range, so yeah, boom boom boom boomboom boom boom, boom boom all night long.

Gonna try an opportunistic train robbery north of Annesburg, I think, see if I can RNG the silver/gold earrings I need. ("Trapper/Pearson hold onto the needed parts for crafting until they have enougth/prereqs are met? Fence works the same way, right?" :smith:)

Hmm, R* might be monitoring my posts here. After my one commenting about not getting night fogs in Night Folk country? Yup, rain ended and went directly into 30-foot visibility at night in Bayou Nwa.

Note: 1-on-3 punchups against Lemoynistas in Rhodes do not go against the "don't start trouble" rule of Dutch's. Also note: fatfingering the keys so you're flipping between 3rd- and 1st-person views during a fistfight is hilarious. 1st-person headbutts!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think its obvious enough that Defensive Mode is not the same as Passive Mode. It's basically just a huge buff vs players that discourages them from making the first move. I think how it works is, if you shoot and hit someone your defensive bonus goes away and you get a ton of hostility. However if you get shot and return fire you're ok. So I think people bait you into shooting them first.

Yeah, defensive mode for me means "don't gently caress with me" not "I'm a scared pacifist". I could tell they weren't expecting me to chase them and gun them down lol.

Does anyone know if they have to actually shoot you first, or can you attack hostile players from defensive without losing it? The guys that shot me showed red nameplates and dots the same way hostile players do. It'd be nice if I could shoot first with people that are obviously stirring poo poo up in a town.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

People feel quite safe to go AFK in RDO. The lack of any player blip must fool them into thinking there is no one for miles and miles. But really there is a crazed slightly bored collector who hasnt shot anything in ages (a minute or two) who will do a public service by removing these fools off the road on my way to the next macguffin.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm a new collector. I can almost afford a shovel. After I get a shovel, what should I do in order to be able to afford a metal detector? I'm looking for efficient farm. Bounties? Shovel-specific collection?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think if you follow the map up thread for things like arrowheads, those frequently don't require a metal detector. Might be easier to do a few Trader sales to make the metal detector funds.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Sleekly posted:

People feel quite safe to go AFK in RDO. The lack of any player blip must fool them into thinking there is no one for miles and miles. But really there is a crazed slightly bored collector who hasnt shot anything in ages (a minute or two) who will do a public service by removing these fools off the road on my way to the next macguffin.

It's also not really a big deal if you die unless you're actively bringing back a bounty or delivering something. You don't lose anything and you just get respawned somewhere nearby.

pmchem posted:

I'm a new collector. I can almost afford a shovel. After I get a shovel, what should I do in order to be able to afford a metal detector? I'm looking for efficient farm. Bounties? Shovel-specific collection?

Early on I bought maps from Madame; there's usually more than just the one item in that area (ie you might find eggs/herbs/dig sites in an area for an alcohol bottle too). Did those and hunted game in between, eventually finishing eggs and alcohol bottles for the cash. One really nice thing about collector is that not only do you get 100 - 200 collector xp and regular xp for each item you find, you get 1500xp for turning in a set. With only 2000xp per player rank you go up fast, and every 5 ranks you get a treasure map as well. Those can sometimes contain upwards of $200 if you're lucky.

Hunting some decent game in between so you can make $40 - $70 from the Butcher each time you cross a town helps a lot too.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

There is no reason to buy maps. Just use the online one:

https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

If you don't have a shovel, do cards and alcohol and family heirlooms. That should get you enough money for a shovel, then do another round till you get a metal detector. (notice how I didn't say eggs, that's because eggs suck)

Edit: Flowers are fine to do - just make sure you DO plot a route for them to avoid having to ensure you don't collect 4 dupes.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 6, 2019

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
I'm thinking the Steam release might have brought a slight influx of cheaters. Had some guy start shooting at me randomly. He was rank 12 and a really bad shot, so I charged him with my Pump-Action. My shots did no damage to him, though, so I lassoed and hogtied him, let him break free, then did it again. He eventually left the session. Not two minutes later, some guy one-shot me with a Carbine Repeater while I was in defensive mode. I just parleyed and reported him.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

There is no reason to buy maps. Just use the online one:

https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

If you don't have a shovel, do cards and alcohol and family heirlooms. That should get you enough money for a shovel, then do another round till you get a metal detector. (notice how I didn't say eggs, that's because eggs suck)

Edit: Flowers are fine to do - just make sure you DO plot a route for them to avoid having to ensure you don't collect 4 dupes.

buying maps spawns collectors items in places they might not be for you before using the map i think like eggs and flowers are the only things in fixed spots

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

HORMELCHILI posted:

buying maps spawns collectors items in places they might not be for you before using the map i think like eggs and flowers are the only things in fixed spots

Nah, all collectibles rotate between fixed positions, and always exist in the world. There are three cycles, and it changes once per day (at 0:00 AM UTC.) The map FileNotFound linked will give you the exact position of every collectible, and will also tell you how long you have until the cycle changes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HORMELCHILI posted:

nope

They are all where that interactive map shows them, always. Except for the ones the map shows as random- those will respawn 24 hours after you collect them, not on the "cycle" schedule of the rest of the collectibles. I've notices some buggy spawns, though, particularly with eggs and flowers, but that's not the map's fault.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So should I just be doing all the story missions until those finish and then start doing the role stuff? Even though collector seems like the big money option I'd rather do bounty hunting and trading. For the latter, I'm guessing I need a bow, varmint rifle and bolt action.

Can I just scam a bunch of fuckers playing hold em and get money that way? I'm an online poker fiend.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Poker game uses a max bet limit of bb x 6. You can play a long game and maybe earn a $$$ bounties' worth over an evening of folding bad hands but as a poker fiend myself, it's not worth the time.

Do the story missions because they're loads of fun and the final tally after doing them all is a nice chunk of change.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

GreatGreen posted:

Just popping in to say that the Steam version installed and booted up on my PC without issue. Played for about an hour or so last night before going to bed with no problem at all except a not-quite-optimal framerate using a 970 with no graphical tweaking.

I bought this game, but have only run the benchmark so far. Seems many people who have posted in this thread have a 970, and have managed to tweak decent frames.

I bought an RTX 2060S in the Black Friday sales.

I didn't do any tweaking, but put things to mostly high. At 1080p resolution, with 16GB of slow RAM and i7 2600k (4 cores, 8 threads) overclocked @4.4GHz (this CPU is already like 8-years-old), I got this RDR2 benchmark result with my 970:

Min. FPS: 15
Max. FPS: 85
Average: 33

With my new 2060S:
Min. FPS: 48
Max. FPS: 114
Average: 81

I didn't get such a big bump in my other main game, BFV, because my CPU is absolutely rinsed by that game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Zigmidge posted:

Poker game uses a max bet limit of bb x 6. You can play a long game and maybe earn a $$$ bounties' worth over an evening of folding bad hands but as a poker fiend myself, it's not worth the time.

Do the story missions because they're loads of fun and the final tally after doing them all is a nice chunk of change.

MAAAAN. I clean house on the AI in the story mode. If you're not going all in by the river why bother.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I quite enjoy the poker mostly for the chill vibes, but also because I somehow end up making anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars per session

edit: that's probably scrub amount but I've retained the RL gambling habit of quit while you're acceptably ahead

Bullfrog fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 6, 2019

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Quoting for reference

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

CascadeBeta posted:

MAAAAN. I clean house on the AI in the story mode. If you're not going all in by the river why bother.

Yes, that's the philosophy pubbies have subscribed to. Pre-flop max bets all night long. All you can do is wait for your hand and hope nobody else gets the nuts.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I played with one guy trying to do that and it sucks bad. I’m here to play cards.

Pre flop max bet should open up the ability to shoot them under the table.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Valentine has a lot of bad players, but I played a good game with some better players in tumbleweed before promptly getting disconnected from the game. YMMV

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Breton, Klad, or Cirollo?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Maybe a poker night is our first group event!

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Maybe a poker night is our first group event!

I'm down as hell. I've seen a few people ask but I haven't seen the link-- where's that pc goon discord again? If there is one

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

pmchem posted:

Cirollo and Breton are good, Kladruber is largely mediocre.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just grabbed this on steam and would love to hook up with some goons. Once PC was confirmed I stopped playing on console but I'm ready to get back into that cowboy life with a mouse/keyboard and a bottle of Pendleton by my side.

e: yeehaw

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

pmchem posted:

I got collector just a couple days ago (I just wanted a reason to have nice (fairly) chill rides around the map). I think the first day or two I used the github map and just had it set a route for me to grab everything I was capable of grabbing without the shovel or metal detector. Today I noticed I was only a couple items away from completing all the cards and the alcohol bottles, so I finished those up and ended up turning in all those sets, plus a set of flowers (and a bunch of extra flowers, since I'd managed to stock up on bluebonnets and chocolate daisies). That all got me more than enough for both the shovel and the metal detector, and got me up to, like, collector rank 12 or 13. I probably could have cut down some of the time it took if I had limited myself to just the cards and bottles (and a lot less flowers), but I enjoyed the nice chill rides across the map (and a couple wild fights with wolves and cougars :black101:).

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ElTacoGato posted:

I got collector just a couple days ago (I just wanted a reason to have nice (fairly) chill rides around the map). I think the first day or two I used the github map and just had it set a route for me to grab everything I was capable of grabbing without the shovel or metal detector. Today I noticed I was only a couple items away from completing all the cards and the alcohol bottles, so I finished those up and ended up turning in all those sets, plus a set of flowers (and a bunch of extra flowers, since I'd managed to stock up on bluebonnets and chocolate daisies). That all got me more than enough for both the shovel and the metal detector, and got me up to, like, collector rank 12 or 13. I probably could have cut down some of the time it took if I had limited myself to just the cards and bottles (and a lot less flowers), but I enjoyed the nice chill rides across the map (and a couple wild fights with wolves and cougars :black101:).

If you want to just do chill rides - makes sure you turn on the random spawns on the map - those usually require a shovel and detector and can be anything from arrowheads to jewelry. There are a LOT of them and I usually don't bother getting them as the loot is random - but if you are trying to just relax and kill some time certainly do hit them up. Also you can take it up a notch and try to look for the hidden maps at night - but that's tricky.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone have a link to the goon PC discord? I wanna posse up and get my cowboy on with fellow goons.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

pmchem posted:

Arabian

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I love my Arabian but if I know things are gonna get fiesty its stable time for twinkletoes.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

If you want to just do chill rides - makes sure you turn on the random spawns on the map - those usually require a shovel and detector and can be anything from arrowheads to jewelry. There are a LOT of them and I usually don't bother getting them as the loot is random - but if you are trying to just relax and kill some time certainly do hit them up. Also you can take it up a notch and try to look for the hidden maps at night - but that's tricky.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Are there any horses that don't get scared when a snake is within a quarter mile of them? Because the Breton, that is not

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

FuturePastNow posted:

Are there any horses that don't get scared when a snake is within a quarter mile of them? Because the Breton, that is not

Just keep popping Eagle Eye, and incendiary buckshot when a snake is spotted.

SUFFER NOT THE OPHIDIAN TO LIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Scherloch posted:

Nah, all collectibles rotate between fixed positions, and always exist in the world. There are three cycles, and it changes once per day (at 0:00 AM UTC.) The map FileNotFound linked will give you the exact position of every collectible, and will also tell you how long you have until the cycle changes.

thats disappointing but good to know