Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

tudabee posted:

i went camping with the fossil abominations to see what their animations are and i noticed arctovish's eyeballs are right side up, which i somehow find weirder than its whole head being upside down

Yeah but, like.. that's the point.

All Cara Liss has is the bones of the pokemon, she's putting them together then hitting the "make alive" button. so far as she's concerned the skull is just supposed to be like that but the eyes would still look forward and down because CARA LISS IS A MASTER OF SCIENCE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zuzie posted:

You could use a razor claw for roughly the same effect I think.

Razor Claw is +1 level to critical hits while Leek is +2. The former is a 12.5% chance to crit while the latter is a whopping 50%.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Kurieg posted:

All Cara Liss has is the bones of the pokemon, she's putting them together then hitting the "make alive" button. so far as she's concerned the skull is just supposed to be like that but the eyes would still look forward and down because CARA LISS IS A MASTER OF SCIENCE!

Oh yes, I understand the joke behind the fossil dudes, I think I just expected the soft tissue to form as it originally was, given the appearance of the *zolt dudes, so my brain found it more upsetting for some reason :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I've been trying to get a G-Max Garbodor basically all game because obviously the towering mound of garbage is the best pokémon and needs to be the one to take down the Champion's vaunted mega Charizard on national television, but I've been throwing so many wishing pieces down the poison hole and have yet to see hide nor hair of it.

Then I thought to actually click the links on Serebii, and as far as I can tell, you can only catch it from that one hole, it has to be one with a purple beam, it has to be a 5-star raid, and then it has a whopping 5% chance of showing up.

Is that right? Given the cost of wishing pieces, it seems your only chance of getting a specific G-max pokémon that isn't Butterfree, Drednaw or Sandaconda is grinding for weeks.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is that right? Given the cost of wishing pieces, it seems your only chance of getting a specific G-max pokémon that isn't Butterfree, Drednaw or Sandaconda is grinding for weeks.

Or get extremely lucky. I managed to find a G-max Kingler just randomly, although it wasn't a particularly strong one.

There's also a good chance that other promos where certain G-max Pokemon become more common will be introduced in the future.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Kurieg posted:

They are going to release Sword/Shield 2 and Cara Liss is going to be in jail and will have set up a jury-rigged lab in the jail basement and there will be a minigame involving smuggling fossils in via drone Yanma.

How the hell does this egg move passing work? I had a female Shellos that knows Ancient Power and a male Quagsire that has moveslots free in the daycare together. I went off and did stuff and came back to get an egg, and I retrieved the Quagsire and it didn't know Ancient Power yet. Does it take a long time for them to learn moves?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hammerite posted:

They are going to release Sword/Shield 2 and Cara Liss is going to be in jail and will have set up a jury-rigged lab in the jail basement and there will be a minigame involving smuggling fossils in via drone Yanma.

How the hell does this egg move passing work? I had a female Shellos that knows Ancient Power and a male Quagsire that has moveslots free in the daycare together. I went off and did stuff and came back to get an egg, and I retrieved the Quagsire and it didn't know Ancient Power yet. Does it take a long time for them to learn moves?

The egg move passer and the egg move recipient need to be the exact same species. This also includes evolutionary stages.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Araxxor posted:

The egg move passer and the egg move recipient need to be the exact same species. This also includes evolutionary stages.

And I thought it would make this move chaining a piece of cake! I guess not. This nonsense is why Mamoswine is going to be #400 for me.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kurieg posted:

plus her name is careless

looking forward to Buster Sword/Giga Shield, where instead of collecting watts for the power company you instead are collecting spare pokemon for the military contractors that run the colonies

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 7, 2019

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I love everything about these FrankenFossils.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TeenageArchipelago posted:

plus her name is careless

looking forward to Buster Sword/Giga Shield, where instead of collecting watts for the power company you instead are collecting spare pokemon for the military contractors that run the colonies

I was gonna make a joke about "something something Gig Pokeconomy" but Pokejobs are already a thing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After reading the last few pages, I consider myself kind of lucky that I got an Adamant Dracovish (with perfect Spd + Atk I come to find later) during my regular playthrough. The big issue is finding enough Qualot berries to dump it's Def EVs. (I had enough for the other dump stats.) I have like 20 of every EV reducing berry except Qualot. >_>

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

is there any good way to farm -EV berries in this? I know that there isn't anything as good as what Sword/Shield had, but still. would be nice to be able to use my Inteleon on my Military Industrial Complex team without having to farm berries for an hour

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hammerite posted:

And I thought it would make this move chaining a piece of cake! I guess not. This nonsense is why Mamoswine is going to be #400 for me.

Uhh

Piloswine gets Ancient power at the move relearn mer mate. Easy as pie.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

A Sometimes Food posted:

Uhh

Piloswine gets Ancient power at the move relearn mer mate. Easy as pie.

What? I took one there and the guy said "This pokemon has no moves it can relearn".

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So I've been trying to get a G-Max Garbodor basically all game because obviously the towering mound of garbage is the best pokémon and needs to be the one to take down the Champion's vaunted mega Charizard on national television, but I've been throwing so many wishing pieces down the poison hole and have yet to see hide nor hair of it.

Then I thought to actually click the links on Serebii, and as far as I can tell, you can only catch it from that one hole, it has to be one with a purple beam, it has to be a 5-star raid, and then it has a whopping 5% chance of showing up.

Welcome to my special corner of hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

1. Learn to glitch for a purple beam
2. Learn to time skip once you have the purple beam

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

1. Learn to glitch for a purple beam
2. Learn to time skip once you have the purple beam

How does that second one work?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

How does that second one work?

Once you have the purple beam if it's not what you want:
1. Start the raid / look for other people (you can be in local wireless / not online for this)
2. Go to system settings, change the date 1 day forward.
3. In-game, leave/cancel the raid
4. Check the den again, you'll get 2k watts and another raid.
5. Repeat the process of start raid search / change date / leave until you get what you want

I haven't tested it myself but I believe once you trigger the raid you want you can actually go back to current time and it'll stay. Only moving forward changes the raid. (in case you don't want something caught in the future)

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Hammerite posted:

What? I took one there and the guy said "This pokemon has no moves it can relearn".

That doesn't sound right, I definitely did the relearn trick on mine, and Serebii lists Ancient Power as a move all Piloswines have in their movebank by default. https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-swsh/piloswine/

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

1. Start the raid / look for other people (you can be in local wireless / not online for this)
5. Repeat the process of start raid search / change date / leave until you get what you want

I haven't tested it myself but I believe once you trigger the raid you want you can actually go back to current time and it'll stay. Only moving forward changes the raid. (in case you don't want something caught in the future)

You can set it back to the normal time once you get the Gmax you want. Just save before hand. This is by far the best way to get the rare Gmax ones you want. Might as well do it until they fix it. I’ve gotten a Gmax Gengar, charizard, and copperajah this way. I’ve been sharing them in the pokegoon discord for while once I’ve gotten them. You can share them infinitely as long as you close the game and reset before you beat it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm doing this and it resets the wattage, but the purple beam moves (often all the way across the map). >_>

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I think it moves if it’s just the normal 1 out of 7 purple beam but if it’s from a wishing piece it shouldn’t move.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm doing this and it resets the wattage, but the purple beam moves (often all the way across the map). >_>

Is the purple beam one that randomly spawned or one that came from throwing a wishing piece in the den? My experience has been that it only works for wishing piece beams, but consistently works for them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, yeah. It was the random spawning beam. Didn't even know purple beams spawned from wishing pieces.

Edit: I did just out that moving the clock and changing it back resets the berry trees, too. So, I can continue to farm Qualots. :v:

Edit: Ok, strike that. I'm wrong.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a little more deeply into this one than i have with previous Pokemon, but I just don't think I'll ever have it in me. Even trying to get one HA mon (soft resetting, but not messing with system time) has pretty much burned me out.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

AlternateNu posted:

Ok, yeah. It was the random spawning beam. Didn't even know purple beams spawned from wishing pieces.

Edit: I did just out that moving the clock and changing it back resets the berry trees, too. So, I can continue to farm Qualots. :v:

Edit: Ok, strike that. I'm wrong.

If you do the beam trick it resets berry trees, counts the time towards pokejobs, and changes the stow-on-side merchant items. If you change the date without doing the trick it doesn't.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm assuming the beam trick is slowing down the text to reset the game until you get a purple beam from a wishing peace, right?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm assuming the beam trick is slowing down the text to reset the game until you get a purple beam from a wishing peace, right?

I was referring to the date swapping trick Happy Noodle Boy posted.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Eminai posted:

If you do the beam trick it resets berry trees, counts the time towards pokejobs, and changes the stow-on-side merchant items. If you change the date without doing the trick it doesn't.

When you change the date back does it remember not to grow berries on those future dates? I don't care about the gmaxs- I've been lucky enough without this method but boy do I feel compelled to get the EV resetting berries and also have a stockpile of berries for gold rank curries.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just lucked into a 5IV HA G-max Kingler while trying the Wishing Piece trick. :w00t:

Sheer Force is broke as gently caress @LifeOrb, so what do I throw on this guy?
Liquidation
Body Slam
Superpower
Rock Slide???

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 8, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's the best moveset to give Zacian for the Battle Tower?

I imagine something like

Close Combat
Iron Head/Behemoth Blade
Play Rough
Crunch/Psychic Fangs/Fire Fang

Mostly not sure what to put in that final slot. Fire Fang probably gives the best type coverage but is the weakest, while Psychic Fangs is awesome because it's strong and breaks screens but probably has the worst coverage.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Am I maybe a little crazy or does the SwSh dex feel over represented in both Gen V and fighting type Pokémon? The -Chan’s, the gi muppets, the construction muppets, hawlucha, Octobrawler, Falinks

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sockser posted:

Am I maybe a little crazy or does the SwSh dex feel over represented in both Gen V and fighting type Pokémon? The -Chan’s, the gi muppets, the construction muppets, hawlucha, Octobrawler, Falinks

There's 32 fighting types in the game counting the cover legendaries. That's 8% of the 400 Pokémon in the 'dex. Doesn't seem all that high to me.

Edit: Gen 5 Pokémon make up just under 20% of the 'dex. I guess considering there's 8 Gens, that's a decent chunk, but also doesn't feel overrepresented.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 8, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nanigans posted:

There's 32 fighting types in the game counting the cover legendaries. That's 8% of the 400 Pokémon in the 'dex. Doesn't seem all that high to me.

For reference, there are only 22 Fire types, which feels REALLY low, especially when you consider how many of those are just low-level evolutions (more than half the list, 12/24). So, in reality, there's Cinderace, Ninetails, Arcanine, Centiscorch, Coalossal, Flareon, Salazzle, Chandelure, Torkoal, Heatmor, Turtonator, and Charizard. That list feels way worse than the Fighting type list.

I will say though, I think the fighting types have the advantage of having way more of the cooler mons in the game, which makes the list feel way bigger comparatively, because even looking at the really low number of Fire types I personally wouldn't use half that list.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Fire always seems to be underrepresented in Pokemon in general.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

For reference, there are only 22 Fire types, which feels REALLY low, especially when you consider how many of those are just low-level evolutions (more than half the list, 12/24). So, in reality, there's Cinderace, Ninetails, Arcanine, Centiscorch, Coalossal, Flareon, Salazzle, Chandelure, Torkoal, Heatmor, Turtonator, and Charizard. That list feels way worse than the Fighting type list.

I will say though, I think the fighting types have the advantage of having way more of the cooler mons in the game, which makes the list feel way bigger comparatively, because even looking at the really low number of Fire types I personally wouldn't use half that list.

Still better than Sinnoh! :v:

Framboise posted:

Fire always seems to be underrepresented in Pokemon in general.

I may be remembering something completely made up, but I think the developers said the reason for that is that fire isn't something all that commonly occurring in nature. Though, I'm sure Californians would disagree right now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I'm sure Californians would disagree right now.

Its actually raining here for a change. Give us 4 months.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

I definitely felt like gen V was over-represented but that's probably just because the gen V designs stick out like a sore thumb to me

I'm... not a fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Game Freak should stop pandering to genfivers.