Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Sam, Die-Hardman here. Did you know some people refer to my mask as a "metaphor"? In case you didn't know, the word "metaphor" comes from the ancient Greek word "to carry over" or "transfer". You might even say your mission of building connections and extending the chiral network across the UCA is a "metaphor" in of itself.

For your next order, you will be metaphoring materials to the distro center south of Lake Knot and connect it to the chiral network. Access the nearby terminal to begin the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lake Knot, South Knot, and Mountain Knot are all on the road network :cabot:

Is that the end of the line? It looks like there are still some regions to the southwest after I do this mysterious meeting which I am sure will not result in anything strange happening.

Also are the [URGENT] standard orders special? I thought it might be just a signal that it's a mission graded on time but there are other (Time-Sensitive) missions that aren't [URGENT]

Generally 'urgent' means it's optional but important in some way, as in there will be minor consequences if you choose to ignore it or it'll unlock something new the game thinks you really should have when you complete it. Without spoiling anything, there ARE permanent consequences for not doing some 'urgent' missions but nothing will lock you out of 100% completion- any effects they have won't actually happen until the delivery target is at a 5 star connection from my experience. It's kinda common sense which ones will have effects if you think about what you're actually delivering and how important it may be to the target.

edit: Ah forget it, it is common sense so I'll just put it in tags: One of the urgent deliveries to the Elder is a pacemaker. I think you can probably guess what happens if you don't do it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 8, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks, I am glad I went back and checked some of the old locations. Now I'm gonna be kind of paranoid about progressing too far into the story before doing all that though.

Speaking of which, I am starting to think that Kojima came up with the ideas for all his trailers a few years ago as individual short films and the rest of the writing was done to fit those into the game :v:

Just started Chapter 7 and I was hoping for a long cutscene so I would have something to watch while eating dinner but I guess I'm fighting Mads in World War I again. Oh wait it's WWII now

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 8, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No reason to worry about it, the game is very clear about what the point of no return is. They let you know multiple times when you get there that you really should take care of any unfinished business before proceeding.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

In the post game. The First Prepper can freakin' bite me. 4 Premier Deliveries at S rank and this chucklenuts doesn't even give me one star or get on the network.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

J.A.B.C. posted:

In the post game. The First Prepper can freakin' bite me. 4 Premier Deliveries at S rank and this chucklenuts doesn't even give me one star or get on the network.

Rest at a private room and check your e-mails. You should do this between every delivery to someone you're still trying to connect to the network, if you wanna do it fast.

First Prepper's still a bit of a pain in the rear end. But make sure to rest!

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I need to do this with the loving Veteran Porter I think I will try make a rest room there

Then I need the musician which I hope will be easier.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If you think you already have way too many likes from someone because they're progression was locked I recommend taking a bunch of their lost cargo and shoving it in the private locker at their location. Then you can feed them one item, go check mail/sleep and repeat.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sam, This is Heartman.

This may seem difficult to believe, but we’ve uncovered previously unknown information about breakfast. This is all thanks to your hard work. If the data from some of these recent tar samples is correct humans may not be the first beings to have eaten breakfast. The fossils show dinosaurs eating breakfast over 65 million years ago. Could breakfast have somehow contributed to the fifth extinction event? I’m just not sure yet. I think you should come back down to my lab as soon as possible.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

This may seem difficult to believe, but we’ve uncovered previously unknown information about breakfast. This is all thanks to your hard work. If the data from some of these recent tar samples is correct humans may not be the first beings to have eaten breakfast. The fossils show dinosaurs eating breakfast over 65 million years ago. Could breakfast have somehow contributed to the fifth extinction event? I’m just not sure yet. I think you should come back down to my lab as soon as possible.

It's amazing how you'd think it's gonna be afterlife mystery box for most of the game and they overanalyze it to death instantly. Reminded me of Control a lot in that regard and really, figuring all the beach mechanics out with the scientific method is what WOULD happen

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I just finished the game and I have thoughts about it.

As someone who loves the Metal Gear Solid franchise, warts and all, I was excited to see what Kojima would do now that he didn't have to deal with Konami's bullshit. The results are mixed. I like the game, but I sure don't love it. In the beginning, I found the gameplay loop of "get stuff, hike across the map, deliver stuff" oddly intriguing, and the cooperative multiplayer element was surprisingly helpful (though I did need to deal with some baffling structure placement at times). Unfortunately, my patience started running out by episode 8, mostly because I had to walk up mountains, down mountains, build an assload of zip lines, deal with constant timefall, and that loving scanner animation every time you're within sniffing distance of a BT.

So, after getting tired of the usual schtick, I decided to finish out the story, and loving hell, it was a struggle. Kojima, to me, has always been in desperate need of an editor, and when he's basically given carte blanche with the script? Holy poo poo. I love the basic premise and some of the plot beats, but most of it is overly complex nonsense and the experience for a good amount of the time when I'm not in control was agonizing. Having to sit for half an hour (or more) while characters with silly names vomit exposition and stoner-level metaphors at you is awful. And it's not like this is a new thing -- MGS had characters with silly names who vomited exposition and stoner-level metaphors at you, but there it felt charming whereas here it feels... indulgent? I dunno. Maybe it's because MGS characters had actual personalities. I think that was my biggest stumbling point: I had no connection (geddit?) to anyone. Poor Sam has the emotional range of door (except at the very end), Higgs is a dime-a-dozen fatalistic psychopath, and the rest of the cast has some vaguely tragic backstory they drop on you in the middle of your many (many!) interminable conversations. The only characters I ended up caring about were Die-Hardman and Cliff Unger, although that was at the end of the game and mostly because the actors were allowed to, y'know, act.

Getting away from the story, the boss encounters were a disappointment, which was frustrating because, again, there were a ton of memorable boss fights in the Metal Gear Solid series. I understand combat is not a big aspect of the game, but there are times where you're forced to fight, so I thought this would be a great time for Kojima to really do something off the wall, but instead it's simply "shoot thing until health bar is empty." The only boss encounter I kind of liked was the second Higgs fight, although that might have been because it reminded me of the Snake vs Liquid fight in MGS4.

Despite my criticisms, there are flashes of brilliance -- I liked the soundtrack, the BT design (I wish there was more variety), the overall aesthetic of the Beaches, and the way you cross the tar field was a great "aha!" moment. It's too bad there weren't more moments like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The chapter 8 intro was great.

Also it's gonna drive me bonkers that I had to put a zipline node 30 meters away from an online one because the latter was planted in front of a cliff face that blocks it from attaching to two other key online nodes, but I need to keep it because going up on top of the cliff to get line of sight is 360 meters away from the nodes connecting to the rest of the network

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

Oh I have a question also that I don't think I've seen come up before, which involves an incidental spoiler so I'll tag it too:

What are everyone's codec ringtones? Everyone has a different one and it's usually a dumb joke. Mama's is Rock-a-bye Baby, Heartman's is the Funeral March. I can recall Die Hardman's but I have no idea what it is - I really want it to be Let It Snow, and I can kiiiiiiiinda hear it if I do the ear equivalent of squint a bit but it seems like a stretch so I dunno. I didn't recognise anyone else's. What are they all?

Still curious about this.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Deadman doesn't sound like anything to me, it's just a rising scale (checked it against the piano in The Beatles' Revolution 9 played backwards, but it's not the same). Die-Hardman is definitely the first notes to Amelie's nursery rhyme just putting a spoiler here is a spoiler so you know why that makes sense, couldn't find Fragile's ringtone online, some guy cut out specifically her codec calls but skipped the rings for some reason :psyduck:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

cross posting from the PS4 thread in case anyone wants to enjoy what a big dumb dummy i am

okay so i got to death stranding chapter 3 tonight and i really got into the game. so i dinked around doing some deliveries, i built the first part of the road which got me uh, 41 bridge levels, soooo that was good i guess. after returning some deliveries i had no actual packages on me because i hosed up in a way that i found super annoying. if you have cargo for someone and cargo for NOT someone and you are also stoned it's very easy to drop off something you intended to deliver and now it's just gone and you better hope someone else finishes it. that's annoying.

anyways. to the point. some NPC, probably die hardman told me that mules only care about your package and dont actually give a poo poo about you. so i decided to test that theory out and walked up to a mule camp. sure as poo poo the thing that pings your packages didnt ping me or send anyone to me. cool! so i decided to walk up to them since allegedly they only care about packages. well, they don't. if you get within range of an actual mule they'll come gently caress your poo poo up. well, i also had just recently gotten the bola gun, so hey whatever lets shoot these loving guys in the face with a bola. long story short i incapacitated six mules and looted their mule postbox which was somehow hidden inside a fake rock, and i got a lot of loving metal and some ceramics and some peoples lost packages. so i think i might start walking up on the other mule encampments and doing the same to them

so. today i learned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well some things the game explains too well and other things it doesn’t explain at all. I’ve done that plenty of times too

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
it's happening

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sam, we’ve been able to enhance your meal that is ready to eat or MRE. This one’s a bit different, so listen up. We’ve optimized this MRE to provide a balanced breakfast. That means it’s most effective if you eat it in the morning. It comes with orange juice, bran cereal with 2% milk, scrambled eggs, a banana and your choice of meat*. Try one if you need some extra energy in the field. This one’s made of actual matter, so it’s only effective on humans. It won’t work on BTs.

*(Press triangle to select between bacon and sausage links)

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Sam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HiIy3SlHs4

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I'm somewhere floating around ch.8 (the intro of which I thought was a bad mix of 'oh so grim serious apocalypse' and 'lollerskates stylized jokes'), and I came across both the Veteran Porter and the First Prepper while stretching out my zipline network. I need some advice with the First Prepper.

I didn't have trouble with 5-stars for the Veteran Porter. He had sufficient missions showing up on other guys' terminals, and at least had abandoned cargo populating in the world in a reasonable dispersal. First Prepper, not so much. Only gotten one email so far, which I've read, and I've ran one 'out and back' mission for them, but neither cargo nor other missions show up for them out in the world. I've gone back a couple times and ran deliveries for them, which won't really help the First Prepper rank, but I thought it might be needed to open them up a bit more. After four of them, nothing's changed, so I'm unsure what's needed to move them forward.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Don't skip order summaries. If you watch how your likes and stars rise, it'll be obvious when you need to keep doing orders and when you need to wait.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

God drat it. I loving snorted. I hate myself for laughing at this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp. My Elder died in post game because I assumed the dying mechanic was something that only happened in the main story. I’m sorry, old man :gonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gold BTs coming to drag Sam away directly to a game over with no voidout (2019, colorized)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So if you have multiple orders for the same person you are trying to 5 star, do you pick them all up or just do one at a time? If you deliver an order, I'm pretty sure you deliver every order you have for them at once with no option to not do that (unless I'm blind).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stick all the cargo in your private locker save for one order to turn in

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To the person who built one of the PCC safe rooms right outside the Veteran Porter's house so you can zipline down to it, rest, and repeat: You are a baller, thank you. 👍👍👍👍👍

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

By the way, in some of his appearances Higgs has mathematical writing of some kind on his forehead because he is a big weirdo. Does anyone recognize the formula?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CJacobs posted:

Gold BTs coming to drag Sam away directly to a game over with no voidout (2019, colorized)

There's a very thin line between Death Stranding and DaShareZ0ne

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CJacobs posted:

By the way, in some of his appearances Higgs has mathematical writing of some kind on his forehead because he is a big weirdo. Does anyone recognize the formula?

It's the same poo poo that shows up when you use the Q-pid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was chatting about DS today and realised it's almost completely absent the lovely misogynistic fan service that is always the worst part of Kojima games.

I guess there's a shot of Fragile's butt at one point, but that's it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game has a much more mature approach to nudity than basically every other Kojima venture and imo that's one of its strongest points, it treats its adult characters like adults.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

They give you a shot of Fragile in her underwear, then give her the equivalent of the MGS4 microwave hall to kick you in the gut.

They also avoid the whole 'drop a nudie mag to distract people' by explaining in an interview that people are less into physical intimacy.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Noticed Heartman 's house/architectural layout is also in the shape of a heart but it's hosed up looking and distended/deformed as he said. Thought i might be wrong for a second but the bottom seems pretty clearly a heart attempt to me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sam, it’s Deadman.

I’ve discovered some strange files in the archives about Bridges research into the importance of breakfast. Code name: Brigette’s Lunch, Brunch for short. I’ll tell you more when you get back to your private room. You probably don’t need to be reminded of this, but don’t tell Die Hardman I’m looking into breakfast. I think he might be in on the breakfast coverup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sam, Heartman here. Did you know that originally it wasn’t called Brunch? Someone wiped all mention of it from the archives, but it was originally called Blunch.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just got to (ep.9) youre Mario, I’m princess “beach” followed by a cheesy slow motion run along the beach and holy poo poo that is the most Kojima has ever Kojima’d

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam, this is Die Hardman. As you know, for this delivery you'll be ferrying some eggs that the distro center really could use in this trying time. Of course, these aren't frozen human eggs, we're talking about chicken eggs. However, these aren't merely for tomorrow's wake-and-bake omelette (W&BO); these eggs are fertilized. You see, the distro center has let us know here at command that they'd like to raise their own chickens, so they don't have to rely on us to deliver their breakfast every morning. So it goes without saying, but you must be extremely careful with this cargo. Any abrupt shift or vibration is likely to damage the eggs, and we can't have that. And Sam- you'll be carrying living organisms with you here. You're making a connection not just with the chiral network, but with life itself. With each chicken to hatch from one of those eggs and go on to produce weeks' worth of breakfast for your fellow porters, you'll be establishing a legacy that will far outlive you, me, or any of us. Make sure you get them there in one piece.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stick all the cargo in your private locker save for one order to turn in

Well that doesn't sound like something The Great Deliverer would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*Sam awakens on the shores of a beach. There is a chicken aimlessly wandering. He cradles it, weeping. Though it is but a dream, his love for the chicken is real*