Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dillbag posted:

I don't know if I've told this story before, but an old friend of mine was in his 3rd year of archaeology in uni when we saw Contact on opening night. He walked out of the theater white as a ghost, weeping and mumbling "I've wasted my life, I should have been a radio astronomer".

The next week we saw The Mummy and he danced out of the theater, beaming like a ray of sunshine and exclaiming "I want to be an archaeologist again!"

Epilogue: He's now a leadership & development instructor in the banking sector because it's extremely difficult to make a living in archaeology OR radio astronomy.

i was going to warn everyone against judging someone for their job but then my eyes slid back up to the phrase “banking sector”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dillbag posted:

I don't know if I've told this story before, but an old friend of mine was in his 3rd year of archaeology in uni when we saw Contact on opening night. He walked out of the theater white as a ghost, weeping and mumbling "I've wasted my life, I should have been a radio astronomer".

The next week we saw The Mummy and he danced out of the theater, beaming like a ray of sunshine and exclaiming "I want to be an archaeologist again!"

Epilogue: He's now a leadership & development instructor in the banking sector because it's extremely difficult to make a living in archaeology OR radio astronomy.

lemme guess, he watched Wolf of Wall Street?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Nah he was just tired of being poor for the sake of his craft

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Dillbag posted:

jesus christ I'm sorry I started this whole dumb thing.

Can we all just agree that Bollywood films are terrible?

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDte-axR9l8

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Nah he was just tired of being poor for the sake of his craft

fuckin sellout

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I watched Agent Vinod at the theater when I was living in India and I'll admit it was one of the more surreal propaganda experiences of my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZCOnDuL6pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9nvq3402M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRfURBQlIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViPQgsjytjY

lol Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan got married after shooting this and are now referred to as 'Saifeena'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiimo posted:

Brendan Fraser's best movie is Bedazzled

its sequel Vajazzled was a bit wild tho

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

ThanosWasRight posted:

This looks like they stripped all the anti-machistic sentiment and the Mulan hating traditional chinese rituals for how sexist they are out of the original.

Disney has no loving spine.

lol none that was in the ""original"" mulan, the whole 'rebelling against tradition and be true to yourself' was a completely american injection. the original legend is essentially about mulan being a perfect genius who takes her father's place, stays in the army for 12 years while being super good at everything, then goes back home while everyone in the army begs her to stay bc she has to fulfill her duty as a good daughter and get married.

the original is all about lecturing kids about filial duty and obligation.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I love neoliberalism because it allows China to privatize their propaganda to American corporations.

Mulan is made for Xi and Xi only

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Chuka Umana posted:

I love neoliberalism because it allows China to privatize their propaganda to American corporations.

Mulan is made for Xi and Xi only

this is tiring and ridiculous.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Splash Attack posted:

lol none that was in the ""original"" mulan, the whole 'rebelling against tradition and be true to yourself' was a completely american injection. the original legend is essentially about mulan being a perfect genius who takes her father's place, stays in the army for 12 years while being super good at everything, then goes back home while everyone in the army begs her to stay bc she has to fulfill her duty as a good daughter and get married.

the original is all about lecturing kids about filial duty and obligation.

So?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i grew up too poor to watch disney movies. aside from random clips of disney stuff, ive only seen pinocchio & the lion king in full

so here's my outsider's view on whether to include a witch in live action mulan: they should double the witches, halve the propaganda, and unionize all workers. all cops are bastards, china is communist in name only. disney execs know what they did.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alice in Wonderland is dope, but it's the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqlhMEWA70

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 7, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfWhQXg4GrA

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Krankenstyle posted:

i grew up too poor to watch disney movies. aside from random clips of disney stuff, ive only seen pinocchio & the lion king in full

so here's my outsider's view on whether to include a witch in live action mulan: they should double the witches, halve the propaganda, and unionize all workers. all cops are bastards, china is communist in name only. disney execs know what they did.

I guess I don't know about Chinese witches but western fairytale witches come in ones (evil) twos (good and evil) and threes (trinity of womenhood) and that's the way I like it

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

referring to the adaption made by white people for the entertainment of other white people as the “original” is a lovely take imo :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

angerbeet posted:

I guess I don't know about Chinese witches but western fairytale witches come in ones (evil) twos (good and evil) and threes (trinity of womenhood) and that's the way I like it

yeah im mostly familiar with western mythology too, but all those are like the only possible witch configurations. if you have one witch and shes good, shes a wise woman and not a witch. if you have two, theyre opposites. who ever heard of two evil or two good witches. finally, three is even more monomyth so it doesnt even matter any more

that is to say i want at least 4-5 witches in the mulan movie

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah im mostly familiar with western mythology too, but all those are like the only possible witch configurations. if you have one witch and shes good, shes a wise woman and not a witch. if you have two, theyre opposites. who ever heard of two evil or two good witches. finally, three is even more monomyth so it doesnt even matter any more

that is to say i want at least 4-5 witches in the mulan movie

Typical pigeonholing of women and magic. Just because she’s using magic doesn’t mean she’s a witch, she might have a very real role in Mongolian/hun society. Shaman even. :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/wonderwomanfilm/status/1203358507652698113?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s trailer weekend folks get hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2m-08cOAbc

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Why does Free Guy seem to take place on one single intersection in downtown Boston.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Proposition Joe posted:

Why does Free Guy seem to take place on one single intersection in downtown Boston.

Cuts down on loading times

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
When Mulan comes out there's gonna be a lot of takes about how it glorifies girl power through the army or something.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

I'm almost positive that skydiving scene is Pittsburgh at least

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Proposition Joe posted:

I don’t know but I walked past that set every morning for my work commute for months and this is very surreal now

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

joe football posted:

I'm almost positive that skydiving scene is Pittsburgh at least

Yep, it is (with some very slight alterations, according to the Pittsburgh subreddit).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Reynolds is apparently helping with the marketing for this just like with Deadpool, and he's using the Simpsons trademark of poking fun at the parent company except now it's Disney instead of Fox.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfM7_JLk-84

:rock:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

I wonder how long its going to take me to get sick of the whole 80s nostalgia thing, because its been a fair few years now and I am not even remotely there yet. That New Order cover is fantastic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The epic-trailerifying of Blue Monday is amazing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The epic-trailerifying of Blue Monday is amazing.

I'm a sucker for action synced to the music. Not only the gun fire, the lasso and punch swooshes at 1:36: are cut perfectly as well.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah, I'll go see that

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat that is a great trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah that is a expert trailer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Count me the gently caress in.

Steve Trevor loving exploded in 1918, though. He got blowed up. Is 1984 Steve Trevor a robbit or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gonz posted:

Count me the gently caress in.

Steve Trevor loving exploded in 1918, though. He got blowed up. Is 1984 Steve Trevor a robbit or something?

Spoiling, but the pieces are all in the trailer: The baddie's got a magical rock and talks about people getting whatever they want.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FiftySeven posted:

I wonder how long its going to take me to get sick of the whole 80s nostalgia thing, because its been a fair few years now and I am not even remotely there yet. That New Order cover is fantastic.

extremely same

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
WW84 looks pretty awesome. Not sure how Steve Trevor's back (always thought it was just dream sequences or something) but not dying to find out ahead of time.
Definitely gave me a Thor: Ragnarok vibe with the playful retro treatment and the trailer ending with a brief flash of WW going super saiyan (like Thor conjuring lightning without his hammer at the end of the T:R trailers).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh nothing in that trailer really made me excited or feels like it’s any different than any number of comic book movies. The first one was entertaining enough and I’m sure this one will be too, but it hardly lit a fire under me. I guess we should just feel grateful when a DC film doesn’t look like utter dross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like the retro vibe but yeah that trailer didn’t do much for me. That said WW was good imo and I don’t have many reasons to think this will be bad.