Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Diogines posted:

Thank you very much.

In that instance, do you think it would be safe to read the comics without spoiling the show?

At this point, I think it's pretty clear they're not going to follow the storyline or conclusion very faithfully (which is good).

You'll probably see some general themes and loose adaptations of certain arcs, but I'd still have doubt those arcs will even end the same.

You're safe reading the comics; they're essentially a time capsule of what we found really, really funny and grown-up 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Diogines posted:

Thank you very much.

In that instance, do you think it would be safe to read the comics without spoiling the show?

Sure, even the general plot beats and moments they've taken from the comic so far have been put in different enough contexts that knowing the comic version isn't really going to spoil the series, any more than reading any book would spoil an "inspired by"-level adaptation.

I wouldn't recommend it on the grounds that the book is full of juvenile gross-out/naughty-swear-word humor, about every -ism you can think of and is generally Ennis at his Ennisiest, but you do you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I haven't read the comics (I dont "read" comics) but my friends who do say it's super '00s edgy aesthetic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd avoid it, honestly. The show is about 1000X better than the comics.

Plus the potential for spoilers in the show later on anyway.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I read the comics after finishing the first season of the show. Translucent is a lot of the main plot mover for both the Boys and Homelander for the first half of the show and he doesn't even exist in the comics

In the comics the closest equivalent is a supe who was executed by the seven in exchange for a truce with the first iteration of the boys, before Hughies story begins.

The comics are definitely super 2000s edgelord stuff, lots of gratuitous gore, rape, sex, racial slurs, etc. The show has done a great job of keeping the good and excising the rest, while creating a pretty interesting show.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 16, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

pile of brown posted:

In the comics the closest equivalent.

Isn't Translucent a stand-in for Jack from Jupiter? At least the parts that are in both media. Lamplighter is going to be in the show as well, since we know Mallory's nephew have been burned alive...and I think Lamplighter is mentioned in the show, and even make an appearance in the comics that are shown at the very start of EP1?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Isn't Translucent a stand-in for Jack from Jupiter? At least the parts that are in both media. Lamplighter is going to be in the show as well, since we know Mallory's nephew have been burned alive...and I think Lamplighter is mentioned in the show, and even make an appearance in the comics that are shown at the very start of EP1?

Lamplighter is definitely in the show, it's repeatedly mentioned that he's just retired. IIRC that's why there's an opening for Starlight to join.

I don't think he's ever actually seen post-retirement, so who knows what his "retirement" might be covering up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That character's retirement is the reason Starlight gets a shot at The 7 in the first ep.

Who knows if they'll make it as big a deal as it was in the comics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

The Tick (Amazon) is great and everyone should watch both seasons, it actually has more drama than you'd think, and they were building into a big reveal about Tick's nature/origin that we sadly never got. But it's just a neat show.

Since it got canned, was that reveal ever done in like comics or the cartoon or anything? They actually did manage to get me interested in what was up with the Tick.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PostNouveau posted:

Since it got canned, was that reveal ever done in like comics or the cartoon or anything? They actually did manage to get me interested in what was up with the Tick.

No, where he came from and how he got his powers is never explored. He always has no memory of where he was before the city really. In the comics it's revealed that he's an escaped mental patient but that doesn't really explain anything. In the cartoon all you know is he passed his hero exam and was assigned to the city. In the Warburton series his first appearance was protecting a bus station and the people there tricked him into moving to the city because he annoyed them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

No, where he came from and how he got his powers is never explored. He always has no memory of where he was before the city really. In the comics it's revealed that he's an escaped mental patient but that doesn't really explain anything. In the cartoon all you know is he passed his hero exam and was assigned to the city. In the Warburton series his first appearance was protecting a bus station and the people there tricked him into moving to the city because he annoyed them.

Ah it's probably for the best. They teased it well in the new show, but it would probably be a letdown no matter what.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

Thank you very much.

Diog, as my favourite (and only cYOA author) I beg you not to do to it. I read the comics before the show and the show is different and immeasurably better. It's about 5 hours of my life I won't get back.

The comics are like a bad Slaan gimmick except instead of HUNGERRRR its SEX, RAPE, SODOMY, CHILD ABUSE, ULTRAVIOLENCE (not actually spoilers)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAtuMu_ph4

Some strong Love Sausage vibes from David Harbour in this trailer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Lamplighter is definitely in the show, it's repeatedly mentioned that he's just retired. IIRC that's why there's an opening for Starlight to join.

I don't think he's ever actually seen post-retirement, so who knows what his "retirement" might be covering up.

Comics spoiler He was handed over to the boys as a peace offering and Mallory shot him in the head. its possible to resurrect a dead supe with a blast of compound V but they come back drooling and braindead.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

kanonvandekempen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAtuMu_ph4

Some strong Love Sausage vibes from David Harbour in this trailer.

Wonder if he signed up thinking they'd get him all buff Chris Pratt style.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Scarlett Johansen does such a great job playing a character with lovely writing that I don't care about at all

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Season 2 teaser trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfvwYlTDRw

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol sheeit a few scenes in that trailer are red band level

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That trailer is some punk rock poo poo and I love it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm really happy that it looks like we're going to get more The Deep humiliation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I picked up the first trade of the comics to see what it was like (it's so loving bad) and I'm so glad they chose not to use V on The Boys. In the book as soon as Hughie becomes a Boy they shoot him up with compound V and they can go toe-to-toe with the superpowered guys. It's way more interesting and complicated that if any of the heroes even so much as lays a hand on any of our lads they're loving dead meat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I didn't enjoy the comics much at all which is why I took too long to actually give this show a chance. If I remember right doesn't Butcher just jab Hughie with it without warning or explanation?

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

Goddrat there is a lot of blood.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Already gone.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

You didn't miss much, it was pretty average

Except for black noir, he was great

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You didn't miss much, it was pretty average

Except for black noir, he was great

And I’m pretty sure someone was getting their face ripped open at the jaw. I had to stop and replay it a few times to understand what the hell that was.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

zoux posted:

I picked up the first trade of the comics to see what it was like (it's so loving bad) and I'm so glad they chose not to use V on The Boys. In the book as soon as Hughie becomes a Boy they shoot him up with compound V and they can go toe-to-toe with the superpowered guys. It's way more interesting and complicated that if any of the heroes even so much as lays a hand on any of our lads they're loving dead meat.

And even with the one super The Boys got with the Female, seeing how A-Train just obliterates her without really breaking a sweat was pretty terrifying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

S2 trailer, again

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-boys-fi...low_io9_twitter

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

When is season 2 due?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of that trailer is the females's ring saying "Bossy".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah things like the beatdown fight with Translucent was pretty great since they had to cheat and fight dirty to knock him out cold. Even when they captured him they had no easy way to kill him.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Could that be MM's ...milk? Maybe they've changed the plot so that his mom/family was involved in the baby superhero plot and that somehow backfired? Not sure how they could put MM's backstory in without him being a super. Unless I guess if he could live without the milk - but still got "super" by drinking it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I think it's just Homelander being creepy and weird.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Maybe it's Stilwell's milk. So yeah, definitely Homelander being weird.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm looking forward to another season of Antony Starr's crazy take on Homelander.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

El Padrino posted:

I’d imagine it would’ve went sour by now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ruddiger posted:

Nothing can hurt Homelander, they've tried everything. Well.... almost everything....

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ruddiger posted:

I doubt that much time has passed between the seasons.

Then again, that could be the twist for the scene; Homelander tries to savor the last of Stillwell's milk only for it to have gone bad.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

El Padrino posted:

Oh yeah I don't know why the first time I saw that scene I only saw the milk itself and I thought it was Hughie instead of Homelander lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Its the same bottle she used for the pump, so yeah.