Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How do either of them fit without enlarging the vehicles to 40k scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Arcsquad12 posted:

How do either of them fit without enlarging the vehicles to 40k scale?

Well, it appears to be an aircraft carrier; it might be something else. Like I said, it was a very brief shot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/e7yedg/screen_cap_of_the_teaser_at_ccxp/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's an aircraft carrier all right.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To be fair, the military budget is nearly a trillion dollars. I'm sure with that amount of money you can make the biggest goddamn aircraft carrier in the history of the world. Big enough for two titans almost the size of a skyscraper to stand on without it immediately sinking.

That or it's just a poorly done promo shot. A case of

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The biggest carriers are just over 1000 feet long but would definitely collapse under the weight of Godzilla's thighs.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

godzilla gets hit with a shrink ray

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You idiots. You absolute fools.

That's Legendary's Godzuki :getin:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

That or it's just a poorly done promo shot. A case of

That's the first thing I thought of too, that poster was super weird. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally I'm more impressed that someone built a carrier that can handle the weight of LGodzilla standing on it, much less LGodzilla and Kong.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I thought the original King Kong vs. Godzilla was only just fine and its weird to me how that pairing remains the fascination and the culmination of the Legendary series. Kong doesn't seem like he'd be dramatically if any more relevant to the non-kaiju fan audience than Godzilla at this point and Godzilla's big recurring nemeses are Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

I thought the original King Kong vs. Godzilla was only just fine and its weird to me how that pairing remains the fascination and the culmination of the Legendary series. Kong doesn't seem like he'd be dramatically if any more relevant to the non-kaiju fan audience than Godzilla at this point and Godzilla's big recurring nemeses are Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla.

It's entirely because of the marque value

King Kong is, in many respects, the first true kaiju. The first REAL giant monster in cinema. While you had movies that can be counted as giant monster films before Kong, they were always about dinosaurs or were more fantasy/farcical. The Brontosaurus from the Lost World isn't distinctive.

King Kong however? He is a true blue giant monster and the first of his kind.

And Godzilla is, in many similar respects, the first Japanese kaiju- and definitely the first Japanese daikaiju. So there is always an inherent draw to seeing the two come together, like with Superman and Batman or whatever. They were the first and arguably the best.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Also isn't King Kong vs Godzilla still one of the highest grossing films in the franchise even adjusting for inflation?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
with the carrier thing: the ending of KotM has kaiju being the new normal, so the military making "kaiju-proof equipment" their #1 priority makes sense

or it could be Monarch

or maybe they're not the same size and that's Legendary Minilla

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

OptimusShr posted:

Also isn't King Kong vs Godzilla still one of the highest grossing films in the franchise even adjusting for inflation?

I think it's still the Japanese Godzilla film with the highest number of tickets sold, yes.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I, too, am upset about the aircraft carrier thing. I wish we could go back to how it was in the last movie when they just had a flying fortress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I'm not mad about it. Silliness comes with the territory for these movies. It would be even sillier if they applied real life physics and the carrier immediately capsized when either of the Kaiju climbed aboard before dying under their own weight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Never apply real world physics to Godzilla.

quote:

"Once emerging from the depths and stepping foot onto the beach, he would sink into the Earth due to his immense foot pressure," Roper explains. "His bones and cartilage would give out under his weight and his body slamming against the ground would be the extent of his destruction."

And gravity isn't the only obstacle a real-life Godzilla would face, according to the video. Getting enough to eat would be a big challenge for animal that requires some 215 million calories a day.

Consider: a single human body might provide about 110,000 calories, which means Godzilla would have to eat 1,950 of us a day just to keep the weight on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cesaPTik_Q

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla feeds on radiation and is also a nuclear reactor so I doubt he needs to eat like an actual animal.

The hanging above water thing is just a Kaiju movie thing. Maybe he’s doing like a crocodile and keeping himself above water with his tail.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

He’s also blowing a giant beam of radioactive lasers out his rear end in that picture which propels him upward.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
In a city of 10 million people, Godzilla would have enough food for 14 years or so.

Assuming he eats 1950 people per day, nobody leaves, and no new humans enter or are born.

Granted, he has a tendency to destroy their domiciles, so there's bound to be collateral damage caused by his snacking, so we'll need to factor in how many humans are rendered inedible, whether by contamination, or because Godzilla can't get to them for whatever reason.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The hanging above water thing is just a Kaiju movie thing. Maybe he’s doing like a crocodile and keeping himself above water with his tail.

He's relying on the suspension of disbelief.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

No one tell him about Jet Jaguar, he'll have an aneurysm.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

As far as I can remember Godzilla is not depicted as even carnivorous, he obviously has sharp teeth and binocular vision like any carnivore but seems to have evolved/mutated beyond it. He certainly don't eat his enemies. In the 54 film, when Godzilla appears over the hill, he was originally meant to have a cow in his mouth but the effect was changed. He just wants nuclear power.

Basically, Godzilla is vegan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's so vegan that Godzilla Earth I made out of plant matter.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dammerung posted:

He's relying on the suspension of disbelief.

:hmmyes:

I originally thought he was blowing giant plumes of smoke out of his backside like a giant engine, but I like yours better.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grove.

If the Monsterverse continues after Kong vs Godzilla I want to see more stuff in the 70s and 80s as Monarch goes on adventures to the center of the earth to find certain titans.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Anyone have any hints or secret methods for attaching the tail on a NECA Godzilla figure? The ball and socket joint will not snap in and in the meantime, Godzilla's loving spikes are shredding the poo poo out of my fingers.

Also, thanks NECA for making an awesome looking Rodan figure whose wing-joint broke the first time it was moved.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Try heating it up to soften.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Anyone have any hints or secret methods for attaching the tail on a NECA Godzilla figure? The ball and socket joint will not snap in and in the meantime, Godzilla's loving spikes are shredding the poo poo out of my fingers.

Also, thanks NECA for making an awesome looking Rodan figure whose wing-joint broke the first time it was moved.

Run both ends under hot water for a little bit to make the plastic more pliable.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Try heating it up to soften.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Run both ends under hot water for a little bit to make the plastic more pliable.

You guys rock, thanks! Worked like a charm. My son thanks you as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/godzilla-kong-reportedly-set-heavy-reshoots-poor-test-screening/

quote:

Godzilla Vs. Kong Reportedly Set For Heavy Reshoots After Poor Test Screening

welp

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Needs more alpha wolf dialogue

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
grain of salt and all that, but unsurprising if true.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Never apply real world physics to Godzilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cesaPTik_Q

Didn’t they say a bunch of stuff like this in Shin Godzilla but then Godzilla just miraculously evolved past it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Didn’t they say a bunch of stuff like this in Shin Godzilla but then Godzilla just miraculously evolved past it

Pretty sure they lampshaded it in Godzilla 2014 too, some throwaway line from a Monarch scientist about how kaiju shouldn't be possible but now they have to redefine what's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how many of those test viewers were actual Kaiju fans and not people who have no idea what the word even means

Prepare for more scenes of humans doing nothing worth mentioning while the monsters fight offscreen