Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TyrantWD posted:

I feel like the show is suffering from the same problem GoT had, where the show runners underestimated the time they needed to tell the story, but were determined to make the originally proposed episode count either way.

Even if the next episode runs for 70 minutes, there will be no satisfying conclusion. And given that it’s supposed to be a self contained story, that makes this even worse. The episode as a stand alone entity, not viewed in context of being the penultimate episode of the story was fantastic, but you can’t disregard the fact that there is only 60 minutes left and it feels like we are barely 1/3rd of the way through.

Everyone in Hollywood seems to be so set on proving that they are not a 24 episode a season network TV hack that they have lost sight of the forest for the trees, and are committing a worse sin by forcing an abrupt ending to their show,

HBO offered the writers 10 episodes but they decided to only do 9, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That was clunky as hell. Some good moments for sure, but overall a pretty big disappointment. Jon approaches Angela and falls for her because... the plot necessitates it? Very weak. All the Adrian stuff was gold though.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what was the horseshoe about. sorry by that point i was kind of frustrated and not fully paying attention

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My man's packing a hawg.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

That was clunky as hell. Some good moments for sure, but overall a pretty big disappointment. Jon approaches Angela and falls for her because... the plot necessitates it? Very weak. All the Adrian stuff was gold though.

he falls for her because he tells her she can’t save him and she tries anyway. he experiences time non-linearly, it’s not any more plot necessitated than any reason for anyone falling in love with anyone

if you take issue with deterministic universe hijinks watchmen may not be your bag baby

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Adrian has planned his escape from the beginning by tricking the Adams and Eves to put horseshoes in his cakes because he knew he'd eventually get locked up during his escape plan.

Also, Yahya is a good Cal, and he certainly has Manhattan's physique, but not only did the makeup/effects look pretty bad but I think he was miscast as Jon. He's making similar acting choices to Crudup but to far worse effect. I've liked the guy all series thus far but his portrayal just didn't click for me.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

romanowski posted:

what was the horseshoe about. sorry by that point i was kind of frustrated and not fully paying attention
In the first episode, Philips hands Veidt a horseshoe instead of a knife to cut his first anniversary cake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mandrel posted:

he falls for her because he tells her she can’t save him and she tries anyway. he experiences time non-linearly, it’s not any more plot necessitated than any reason for anyone falling in love with anyone

if you take issue with deterministic universe hijinks watchmen may not be your bag baby

Yeah, I got that. But unless there's some revelation in the next episode that he was consciously using falling in love with Angela as a means to an end because she was the only person who was at the center of this all and he wanted to preserve humanity, then it only exists as a coincidental plot contrivance. He didn't meet Angela organically and then events feel into place deterministically, he met her because the story dictated that he go meet her. Without intent it's coincidence and feels cheap.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

That episode blew

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What was Veidt reading at the end? I couldn’t make out the cover.

Fogdancing

It became a film twice.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

emgeejay posted:

In the first episode, Philips hands Veidt a horseshoe instead of a knife to cut his first anniversary cake.

oh right. but we don’t know what he actually needs the horseshoe for right?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I got that. But unless there's some revelation in the next episode that he was consciously using falling in love with Angela as a means to an end because she was the only person who was at the center of this all and he wanted to preserve humanity, then it only exists as a coincidental plot contrivance. He didn't meet Angela organically and then events feel into place deterministically, he met her because the story dictated that he go meet her. Without intent it's coincidence and feels cheap.

what are you talking about

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So based on the Peteypedia entry on Fogdancing, which states that "the conspicuous absence of _________________ and __________ give us an indication as to the identities of the remains," is it possible that Red Scare and Pirate Jenny were Kavalry?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

emgeejay posted:

And in the aftermath of Veidt's rough night, Phillips had one and Veidt said, "I don't need it, yet"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t hate their take on Manhattan because it’s something all right but Billy Crudup did such a drat good job playing him I can’t fully get on board.

It started ok but as they went on it became obvious that they just didn’t care to bring Manhattan as he was and just do their own take on it.

But seriously, Billy was so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXohNU3tWo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

emgeejay posted:

Also, a few episodes ago when he has the dining room full of corpses, he picks up a horseshoe and snaps 'I don't need it yet!' at one of the Phillips corpses.

EFB

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Yeah I don't think this landed. Too much of it feels like an exact retread of the comics, and the show really is at it's strongest when it's only a branch from them. They were trying to re-do the whole original Manhattan storytelling of jumping around, but in the comic it feels tragic and revelatory, while here it just feels like a cheap filling in the gaps. Angela's big revelation that she set the events in motion that kill Judd came off flat and was really not well acted, and even the action scene where the blue guy finally steps up didn't feel like it had any emotion to.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm glad I got bored and slept through the movie as that seems to be the sticking point for people who didn't like this episode.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the revelation of the purpose of the horseshoe better fuckin rock or else

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah this is too much talking from the Doctor.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Except Manhattan doesn't believe in choice and doesn't view any actions as truly intentional. They just are.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

romanowski posted:

the revelation of the purpose of the horseshoe better fuckin rock or else

He's digging out of the cell. That's it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s no reason for Dr. Manhattan to have any part in a story about white supremacy, except to note his role in American imperialism. This episode felt like the first real misstep for the series.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Bushido Brown posted:

He's digging out of the cell. That's it.

that does not rock

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s no reason for Dr. Manhattan to have any part in a story about white supremacy, except to note his role in American imperialism. This episode felt like the first real misstep for the series.

His role is that he himself is both the cause and end of Angela Abar.

He is the indirect cause of her parents' death.

But, but for her parents' death they would never meet and she'd never take up his mantle (which seems to be where this is going).

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I haven't ever read the comics and I really enjoyed this episode. I have been so so on the show so far this season but for me, they really nailed the relationship with Angela and Jon. It helps that Regina King is just insanely charming when she isn't portraying a "bad rear end" and the actor playing Hal is also outstanding.

Yes there were some serious weak points. The unnecessary flashbacks (Jesus, respect your audience even a little), Angela exclaiming "did I start this?" when it's so loving obvious she did, and maybe the big one for me, it never did show the moment Angela realizes it's Jon / falls for him. I was really disappointed the latter wasn't included. She goes from hating Manhattan to being so in love with him she's cool with him just picking a corpse to inhabit and tossing out all memory, and we see none of it? Actually the more I think about it, the worse it is.

Despite that, I liked the episode a lot. My favorite since the first.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think Yahya Abdul-Mateens performance as Manhattan is a nice growth on Crudups performance. He’s clearly become a different being since the 80s, with Veidt even remarking on it. It’s easy enough for me to admire both performances.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm glad I got bored and slept through the movie as that seems to be the sticking point for people who didn't like this episode.

yeah it doesn’t help. I liked the episode though, has some rough moments (doc’s CGI/makeup looks hilarious, they should not have had that really silly line from Angela stating the obvious) but overall i was super hooked. its not the shows fault billy crudup/snyder just absolutely crushed that part in the movie

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Dong of the year 2019

E: finale better be 70 mins of Lube Man origin story

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Bushido Brown posted:

His role is that he himself is both the cause and end of Angela Abar.

He is the indirect cause of her parents' death.

But, but for her parents' death they would never meet and she'd never take up his mantle (which seems to be where this is going).

This is the transition from the 2nd generation of superheroes to the 3rd.

Looking Glass is Rorschach II
Sister Night becomes Dr Manhattan II
Agent Petey is Silk Spectre III- Lube Man
Lady Trieu is Ozymandias II

I note that on Europa, a new world where life is created ex nihilo, one of the first created PUTS ON A loving MASK and takes a code name.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

beanieson posted:

E: finale better be 70 mins of Lube Man origin story

Last episode will be 100% Lube Man, there will be no Angela, Dr. M, Looking Glass, etc.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
43 Minute exposition dump comon

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
According to IMDB the finale is 67 minutes long so close enough.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Maybe an unfamiliarity with the source material would help your enjoyment of this episode since most of it was redundant or extremely stupid callbacks.
I'm kinda upset we didn't end up getting more Looking Glass or Hooded Justice, really the only 2 things I ended up enjoying about this series.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

I think Yahya Abdul-Mateens performance as Manhattan is a nice growth on Crudups performance. He’s clearly become a different being since the 80s, with Veidt even remarking on it. It’s easy enough for me to admire both performances.

thats sort of how i came around on if as the episode progressed. he’s matured more and gotten better at reconciling his godhood and humanity it feels like.

a big thing people apparently still misunderstand about the character (despite the text explicitly pointing it out) is that doc is not a god, not emotionless, and not omniscient. he is a man with many of the powers of a god. he still gets boners and chases jailbait, is susceptible to being tricked, to vanity, to selfishness, to making mistakes, to being wrong, to getting mad or sad or lonely, or arriving at the wrong conclusions.

its the same people who take veidt on his word that he’s an infallible self assured genius just doing necessary evil and is ultimately Right, and as evidence of that rightness cite doc’s agreement.

for some reason many people just accept these characters’ claims about who they are/how they see themselves but do not engage with the straight up text of who they actually are.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is going to end up like the Dark Knight everyone either loves it or hates it and both of those opinions are wrong.

meanwhile white dudes feel a bit less cocky today.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Haters hatin', but episode good.

It's all made for a properly enjoyable sequel to the books that's both a callback and its own thing. I think wrapping this season in one episode is a good call; it's reached its terminus. But man, if they have more stories to tell, it'd be cool to see another season or two. I've almost liked this as much as Twin Peaks. Both were imperfect, but I think the imperfections make them more memorable.

Really looking forward to next week.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Lord Krangdar posted:

A novel by Max Shea, who was one of the people who created the squid hoax for him. It was previously glimpsed in the episode intro with Trieu offering a child to that couple outside of Tulsa.

EDIT - A summary is on Peteypedia now, and it seems to be a take on the film Jacob's Ladder:

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Whoa, peteypedia explaining things that happened offscreen is cool.

Sounds like things don't go well for Laurie

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Literally each episode has been worse than the last so far. I can’t stop laughing at how bad this episode was. The entire sequence towards the end of the “reveal” this episode was done so poorly and the acting was clumsy as gently caress. Holy poo poo it was just a huge low point for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Mandrel posted:

thats sort of how i came around on if as the episode progressed. he’s matured more and gotten better at reconciling his godhood and humanity it feels like.

a big thing people apparently still misunderstand about the character (despite the text explicitly pointing it out) is that doc is not a god, not emotionless, and not omniscient. he is a man with many of the powers of a god. he still gets boners and chases jailbait, is susceptible to being tricked, to vanity, to selfishness, to making mistakes, to being wrong, to getting mad or sad or lonely, or arriving at the wrong conclusions.

its the same people who take veidt on his word that he’s an infallible self assured genius just doing necessary evil and is ultimately Right, and as evidence of that rightness cite doc’s agreement.

for some reason many people just accept these characters’ claims about who they are/how they see themselves but do not engage with the straight up text of who they actually are.

Another example is how Rorschach pretends to see the world in black and white, and says he will never compromise on lies, crimes, and perversion. But when confronted with the fact that Comedian tried to rape Sally Jupiter, he just kinda shrugs and makes an excuse for him.