Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Boomer is not a condition purely of age but of the spirit.

My favorite civvie bit is him calling oldschool fps games “boomer shooters”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This story is so sad. The lady was abusive and ruined her chance to have the cat cafe work out, but there’s something really depressing about how she irrevocably ruined her entire life forever pursuing a wild fantasy. There were a lot of people in the area who worked hard to allow it to work out (most of whom she drove away) and the cat rescue she worked with has probably had its reputation damaged.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so apparently h3h3 got weird about kpop and kpop stans are freaking out. To be fair kpop twitter is loving garbage but ethan had to phrase it as 'little girls jacking off to twinks' or whatever so sadly I must agree with those freaks and say 'what the gently caress'

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my favorite part of kpop twitter is how people have brain damage that makes them need to attach kpop gifs to any and every reply they ever make so someone will be like "poo poo dude sorry about your grandma" with a gif of some unimpressive dancing taken on a phone

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

I love it when people ruin their lives because they're insane narcissists.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
The most fascinating thing about Kpop twitter is how much they cloak their defense of it's lovely industry in progressive language. Any tweet slightly critical of it's exploitation of young women is liable to have a dozen or so replies accusing the OP of racism against the country at large.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doctorfrog posted:

You definitely know more than I do, but I strongly suspect (with no evidence) that the show started with "how can we make it so that people get off on seeing murders, but not feel that bad for enjoying it?" and structured the show around that.

The first four seasons treat Dexter as a darkly comedic sociopath trying to pass for human and treats the things he's doing as Not Good. The fact they're happening to people who deserve it is incidental. The later seasons start writing him like some kind of vigilante and the quality goes downhill steeply at times

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Clerical Terrors posted:

The most fascinating thing about Kpop twitter is how much they cloak their defense of it's lovely industry in progressive language. Any tweet slightly critical of it's exploitation of young women is liable to have a dozen or so replies accusing the OP of racism against the country at large.

this argument seems familiar somehow

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Every time I see them I can't help but think they sound exactly like the chinese nationalist bots defending the CCP you run into.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Slime with some thoughts:

https://twitter.com/ThoughtSlime/status/1203835741261963264

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Civvie has a new video out on a Russian Postal expansion called Corkscrew Rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxXe0JZJuMU

I have yet to watch the playthrough he did for the original Postal 2 campaign, so I'll probably give that a watch first.

LGR also put up what I assume to be the first of his Christmas videos for the year, with a look at Interpose Xmas Greetings, a side-scrolling shoot-em-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CrxlctcPS8

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 9, 2019

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
That Postal 2 pack is hilariously awful. Besides the devs loving up item placement they also have the main character get his penis shot off to make a long, repetitive series of trans jokes. Only to keep the joke going it also disables the peeing mechanic so you're no longer able to put your character out if you catch fire :thumbsup:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
What's that book with the gundam on it in Lindsays video?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gonzo McFee posted:

What's that book with the gundam on it in Lindsays video?

Gundam: the Origin, a retelling of the original series in manga form by the original character designer.

It's super good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clerical Terrors posted:

To be fair... it also exploits young men.

In fact it's one of the boy groups that seems to explode with frightening regularity over... any reason at all, really.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Why haven't the DPRK tried to introduce some group of attractive young men to the K-Pop stage to get in on the act, only they just sing songs about how great the Supreme Leader is? Feels like a missed opportunity to not have these folks stanning for Chairman Kim on Twitter.

EDIT: I know there are already lots of songs about how great North Korea is but it's all military music and poo poo

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 9, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

watho posted:

this argument seems familiar somehow

CmdrKing posted:

Every time I see them I can't help but think they sound exactly like the chinese nationalist bots defending the CCP you run into.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

the kpop industry as the ultimate mainfestation of fordist cultural industry is terrifying and if all those accounts of girls locked inside buildings 24/7 forced to starve and constantly belittled to weed out "the weak ones" are true then i wish

i dont know what. that it stopped, really

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ArfJason posted:

the kpop industry as the ultimate mainfestation of fordist cultural industry is terrifying and if all those accounts of girls locked inside buildings 24/7 forced to starve and constantly belittled to weed out "the weak ones" are true then i wish

i dont know what. that it stopped, really

the kpop industry as a whole is like someone looked at american capitalist exploitation, and already existing terrible jpop exploitation, and went 'bet we can combine these two things to make something even worse' and woops now there's just rooms of starving 15 year olds????

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

sexpig by night posted:

the kpop industry as a whole is like someone looked at american capitalist exploitation, and already existing terrible jpop exploitation, and went 'bet we can combine these two things to make something even worse' and woops now there's just rooms of starving 15 year olds????

starving 15 year olds that will probably be prostituted out to rick fucks ala epstein because as with everything to do with the kpop industry, it gets worse the more you look at it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
foxtrot foxconn

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
like id love to say ok maybe stop consuming it and being complicit but then i remember im On Computer built by famished chinese wearing clothes probably sewn by bolivians in illegal talleres in argentina. the epic no ethical consumption blah blah meme, but this tiome, its for real.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'you know how japanese idol culture is insanely dehumanizing and leads to a lot of hosed up dynamics either as cultural views of women and ~purity~ and all or women themselves' self worth and body issues and all, and only now are things really starting to at the least get less gross and meat-grindery for the women involved?'

'yea'

'can we, like, make that but somehow MORE dehumanizing?'

'oh for sure'

there's so many good ways to say 'yea I'm not into kpop' it's kinda amazing ethan went with 'lol faggy guys gettin girls horny am I right guys'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
(also I'm not saying you're a bad person if you like kpop, it's just kinda wild how A) insane kpop twitter is and B) how just cartoonishly evil the industry is as a lot of its peer industries are actually kinda trying to improve)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my understanding is that k-pop and j-pop idol culture are pretty much the same in those regards and k-pop idol culture just has more American eyes on it noticing the fuckery

e: also, jesus gently caress, i sincerely and unironically thank y'all for getting onto a subject that's Actually Interesting and not "news update on what moviebob did today, followed by pages and pages of debating whether he's an rear end in a top hat, an idiot, or both."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 9, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just had an incredible idea

kpop idol gacha

[body crushed by gigantic jpeg of gold bricks]

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

my understanding is that k-pop and j-pop idol culture are pretty much the same in those regards and k-pop idol culture just has more American eyes on it noticing the fuckery

eh kinda, it's the same general concept of 'we turn humans into cartoon people who are expected to be sexless, flawless, and always accommodating at all costs' but the Japanese idol industry has gotten a LOT of poo poo, including Actual Legal Issues that have led to the big companies at least loosening the choke chains a bit. Idols can have relationships (mostly) and 'we want unlimited access to your life because we think your outfit was cute last concert' is more and more the realm of freakshows who get mocked even by the industry than 'oh yea, normal idol poo poo'. The kayfabe, for lack of a better term, has begun to slip a lot and most are free to acknowledge 'these are human rear end women who have lives and feelings, please treat them with respect because they're choosing to do a thing you enjoy' instead of the old 'nope a perfect idol just SMILES THE DISCOMFORT AWAY'.

Obviously poo poo's still exploitive, it's pop culture in a capitalist society, but J-pop had to deal with a bit of a reckoning a while ago when a lot of idols came out talking about very serious mental health issues that the industry gave them, K-pop is a bit...behind on that timeline still and still in that first phase. I'm not saying J-pop stan culture isn't a dumpster too, but there is kinda a bit of goofus and gallant poo poo going down between the too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ArfJason posted:

kpop idol gacha

Korean Love Live would singlehandedly turn Korea into an economic super power, you shut your loving mouth and hide this idea.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ArfJason posted:

kpop idol gacha

see, that's why i say it's not all that different, because jpop has multiple idol gachas and it's basically a matter of time before one of the mobage companies like Cygames or Delightworks gets with BTS or Girls Generation to make a lovely game

e: that makes sense, honestly, re difference between the two industries. i'd noticed somewhat of a sea change, with stuff like Love Live and BanG! Dream seeming to exist to straight up replace actual-people idols with anime ones who don't have inconvenient personal lives or mental health issues, but i wasn't really sure why and i'd honestly figured it was more nefarious than it actually seems to be (it seems like it's, in reality, an actual good-faith effort to remove "loving people over" from the equation and still get everything else)

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Am I the only one that followed h3h3 a few years back and then jumped ship when he started being weirdly smug and antagonistic about everything (including but not limited to 500 videos about "SJW's" ruining everything)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, that's why i say it's not all that different, because jpop has multiple idol gachas and it's basically a matter of time before one of the mobage companies like Cygames or Delightworks gets with BTS or Girls Generation to make a lovely game

e: that makes sense, honestly, re difference between the two industries. i'd noticed somewhat of a sea change, with stuff like Love Live and BanG! Dream seeming to exist to straight up replace actual-people idols with anime ones who don't have inconvenient personal lives or mental health issues, but i wasn't really sure why and i'd honestly figured it was more nefarious than it actually seems to be (it seems like it's, in reality, an actual good-faith effort to remove "loving people over" from the equation and still get everything else)

There is already a BTS mobile game. I don't know if gacha is involved, but there are probably tons of microtransactions.

Also, do keep in mind that shows like Love Live and Idolmaster still put on stage shows with the VAs and singers, and those singers still have meet-and-greets from time to time. Even if characters are replacing people, people still have to represent the characters.

As an aside, one of my favorite idols just got married and announced this at a major concert. Everyone cheered and was super supportive, and she posted some of the wedding photos to social media, which was met with positivity. The industry is changing a lot, but a lot of the old guard in the really lovely companies are gonna keep on keepin' on with terrible practices.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since the Witcher Netflix series is coming out in a few weeks I've been rewatching the Super Bunny Hop retrospective on the CDPR Witcher video games. I don't agree with everything George says (I have a major soft spot for Witcher 2 but I get why he doesn't like it) but he still has the best explanation for what Witcher is rather than what it isn't. It's R-rated Shrek with contemporary politics thrown in as a satire rather than grimdark edgelord fantasy. I really want the show to be good so I hope the showrunners have taken this to heart.

Watch Super Bunny Hop's videos on the games they're really good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

sexpig by night posted:

there's so many good ways to say 'yea I'm not into kpop' it's kinda amazing ethan went with 'lol faggy guys gettin girls horny am I right guys'

Well, #h3h3isoverparty is trending because of it, so...:shrug:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Am I the only one that followed h3h3 a few years back and then jumped ship when he started being weirdly smug and antagonistic about everything (including but not limited to 500 videos about "SJW's" ruining everything)

Nope, iirc they've had Ben Shapiro on and were all buddy buddy with him. H3H3 is like step 0 in the alt-right propaganda pipeline, right there with Joe Rogan and Phillip DeFranco.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

x1o posted:

starving 15 year olds that will probably be prostituted out to rick fucks ala epstein because as with everything to do with the kpop industry, it gets worse the more you look at it.

Am I the only one who did a double-take at this one?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Safe to assume they meant to type "rich".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

H3 at least used to be real good and funny a few years back. Now just...meh. there's not much except the podcast and the podcast is very dull, serving little but recapping events involving people no one in their right mind could possibly care about or somehow keeping people like freaking Shoenice relevant. Oh well.

Back when he was good he didn't seem to have caught the political bore virus either.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

kpop posting strikes me as a weird perfect mix of tumblr a few years ago and console war arguments on gamefaqs in like 2007 only you replace the ps3 and xbox with hunky bowlcutted korean boys

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To answer a query from a few posts before , Heibei Pangzai right now has to straddle several pieces accusing him of being a chinese intelligence operative despite just being a dude who posts a lot about being a farmer who likes to drink and cook. The DPRk can't even do that with just "here's a restaurant with our local cuisine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Kunster posted:

To answer a query from a few posts before , Heibei Pangzai right now has to straddle several pieces accusing him of being a chinese intelligence operative despite just being a dude who posts a lot about being a farmer who likes to drink and cook. The DPRk can't even do that with just "here's a restaurant with our local cuisine".

cold war II kicks rear end