Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7DQeLg25w

hick accent warning, from all three of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not going to buy that "thinking Imagine Dragons is bad" is an outlier position.
People keep telling me to hate Imagine Dragons, and near as I can tell, the only reason to do this is so you can feel cooler than somebody who likes a thing, which a stupid reason to do something.

It doesn't make sense to hate music anymore. Back in the day, if something you hated became popular, record labels would stop signing bands you liked and start chasing that trend, so if you didn't like Nu Metal or Rap Rock in the late 90s, you were hosed. There was only so much airtime on MTV. There was only so much shelf space at the Tower Records. There was only so much radio play. So while having a visceral hatred of a genre or band was still kinda' stupid, there was at least a case to be made for why.

Now? Nobody's making you listen to poo poo. You can listen to whatever you want. Bands don't need to be signed to be heard. There's no good reason to hate a band. Just don't listen to them if you don't enjoy them and stop being a loving child about it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People keep telling me to hate Imagine Dragons, and near as I can tell, the only reason to do this is so you can feel cooler than somebody who likes a thing, which a stupid reason to do something.

It doesn't make sense to hate music anymore. Back in the day, if something you hated became popular, record labels would stop signing bands you liked and start chasing that trend, so if you didn't like Nu Metal or Rap Rock in the late 90s, you were hosed. There was only so much airtime on MTV. There was only so much shelf space at the Tower Records. There was only so much radio play. So while having a visceral hatred of a genre or band was still kinda' stupid, there was at least a case to be made for why.

Now? Nobody's making you listen to poo poo. You can listen to whatever you want. Bands don't need to be signed to be heard. There's no good reason to hate a band. Just don't listen to them if you don't enjoy them and stop being a loving child about it.

counterpoint: I have Opinions(tm) y'all need to listen to. :colbert:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I don’t hate Imagine Dragons. Hating and “diminishing returns” are two different things.

Like Portugal The Man

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Genuinely I can't ever remember hearing an Imagine Dragons song.

I have probably heard several of their songs, but I have never associated them with that name.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You can say exactly the same thing about wrestling. Having opinions and discussing them with other people with opinions is fun.

And to be clear, I wasn't in anyway saying "you should hate Imagine Dragons". I just disagreed with the notion that not liking them is an outlier position because as you noted, they are in that bracket with Nickelback of "default opinion is to dislike them".

As for "no one is making yourself listen to poo poo", I assure you that people working in retail still suffer from radio being on in store. Worked in offices that like having the radio on too.

When you feel passionately about any artform your probably going to have some strong negative opinions in there along with strong positive opinions.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
All I know of Imagine Dragons is that song I overhear at work that sounds like, "wrap me up and throw me up the river *tsh tsh* the river *tsh tsh*"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lamuella posted:

Genuinely I can't ever remember hearing an Imagine Dragons song.

I have probably heard several of their songs, but I have never associated them with that name.

If you've watched a movie trailer in the past five or so years, you've heard their music.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I remember doing the work to continue the lineage and it ended up in CMLL of all places.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Well don't just hold out on us; post that poo poo. For science's sake!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Don't worry, I was going right to looking for that post:

quote:

According to this article it ended up in Australia thanks to Carlito, bounced to Alabama shortly, then returned to down under.

Per my legwork with cagematch, profightdb and wrestlingdata, and using the same method as cubsfan in that article (only 1vs1 matches), from there it goes to Caristico in a tournament in Michinoku Pro who takes it back to Mexico and it ends up in CMLL of all places.

pre:
Adam Brooks		02/13/16	match in MCW (Australia), match for the MCW Intercommonwealth Title
Lucas Gold		02/20/16	match in PPW (Australia), P1-Tournament 2016
Alex Shepard		02/20/16	match in PPW (Australia), P1-Tournament 2016
Australian Wolf		02/20/16	match in PPW (Australia), P1-Tournament 2016
Eisa-8			09/16/16	match in Michinoku Pro, 6th Fukumen World League
SUGI			09/18/16	match in Michinoku Pro, 6th Fukumen World League
Caristico		09/19/16	match in Michinoku Pro, 6th Fukumen World League
Rey Escorpion		10/28/16	match in LLE (Mexico), Liga Elite 2016
Caristico		11/18/16	match in LLE (Mexico), Liga Elite 2016
Mephisto		27/01/17	match in CMLL, match for the CMLL World Welterweight Championship
Mistico			07/07/17	match in CMLL, Campeon Universal Del CMLL 2017 Tournament
Niebla Roja		07/07/17	match in CMLL, Campeon Universal Del CMLL 2017 Tournament
Ultimo Guerrero		07/07/17	match in CMLL, Campeon Universal Del CMLL 2017 Tournament
Niebla Roja		07/10/17	match in CMLL
Ultimo Guerrero		07/17/17	match in CMLL, match for the NWA World Historic Middleweight Title
Rush			04/05/18	match in CMLL
Volador Jr.		06/09/18	match in CMLL
And I even updated it and it's beautiful:
pre:
El Terrible     12/10/18    match in CMLL
Ultimo Guerrero 06/17/19    match in CMLL
Aigle Blanc     07/07/19    match in APC (France), match for the APC Title
Icarus          08/17/19    match at the Ring of Pakistan show; this is the Hungarian wrestler named Icarus
The latest title change I can track down happened between two European indy wrestlers at a show in Pakistan.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

limp bizkit is good actually

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Shine posted:

All I know of Imagine Dragons is that song I overhear at work that sounds like, "wrap me up and throw me up the river *tsh tsh* the river *tsh tsh*"

That's a Billy Bass

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Imagine Dragons is less 'bad' (they can actually be pretty decent) and more 'overexposed mediocrity masquerading as greatness'.
Like Nickelback before them.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

forkboy84 posted:

You can say exactly the same thing about wrestling. Having opinions and discussing them with other people with opinions is fun.

And to be clear, I wasn't in anyway saying "you should hate Imagine Dragons". I just disagreed with the notion that not liking them is an outlier position because as you noted, they are in that bracket with Nickelback of "default opinion is to dislike them".

As for "no one is making yourself listen to poo poo", I assure you that people working in retail still suffer from radio being on in store. Worked in offices that like having the radio on too.

When you feel passionately about any artform your probably going to have some strong negative opinions in there along with strong positive opinions.

I worked night shift in a pharmaceutical plant where starting at every morning at 5am they would play an imagine dragons song multiple times an hour

I loving hate imagine dragons

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Have you never worked in a place where they turn the radio on and leave it on the whole time?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

You absolutely can't, because wrestling is far more finite than music. There are only two North American companies of note right now.

Defiance Industries posted:

Have you never worked in a place where they turn the radio on and leave it on the whole time?
So hate your employer. That's not the band's fault.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

There are only two North American companies of note right now.

Yeah, CMLL and New Japan Pro Wrestling of America.

CMLL is the oldest professional wrestling organization in the world, you know.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

So hate your employer. That's not the band's fault.

I'm starting to think you have never worked a service industry job if you think hate needs to be rationed

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Imagine Dragons is "why rock is basically dead" in band form, this incredibly flat sound with songs that exist to be used in commercials and movie trailers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm starting to think you have never worked a service industry job if you think hate needs to be rationed
I'm starting to think you're an apologist for capitalism if you think your employer making you listen to music you don't like is a band's fault.

I'm not familiar with Imagine Dragons beyond Monster and Radioactive and both of those songs kick fuckin' rear end, and one was a part of the best WWE video package they've produced since the My Way Wrestlemania vid, which itself was amazing even though I loving hate Limp Bizkit, and the other's music video is about muppets knife-fighting one-another to death in an underground club.

There are no good reasons to hate music you don't like now. There are only good reasons to dislike things that don't ring your bell.

If you can tell me this is bad, I just don't know how to argue with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsX1ATcyQxU

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 9, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You absolutely can't, because wrestling is far more finite than music. There are only two North American companies of note right now.

It's 2019. Professional wrestling of every flavour from every continent is available at the click of a mouse button. And frankly it's a lot easier to avoid WWE than it is to avoid radio bands in a lot of lines of work.

Why limit yourself to just American wrestling? A whole world of wonderful varied fake fighting is not really any more difficult to find than using Bandcamp or Spotify or what have you. CMLL for classic lucha libre (several shows a week on YouTube), death matches, technical grapplefuck, crazy headdrop mania matches, and it's never been easier to view old stuff.

There are so many great tastes when it comes to wrestling if you just scratch the surface. Another thing comparable with music.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

let's get this poo poo to 10 million views stan lalisa manoban

https://twitter.com/beebonggg/status/1149680244233625600

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are you seriously asking me to think of how not liking them isn't fair to the famous musicians that make lots of money with capitalism?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Also, I work in film a bit, but the way I've been paying my bills since 2003 is DJing, KJing, and being a master of ceremonies.

This doesn't make your opinion on what music you like more important than mine, but it does mean I get to speak to how loving stupid it is to hate things and people and bands needlessly with some degree of authority.

Which is very. It's very stupid.

Let people like things.

Are you seriously asking me to think of how not liking them isn't fair to the famous musicians that make lots of money with capitalism?
Not at all. I'm saying gatekeeping people's taste? Super bad. Stop it.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 9, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I loving hate Limp Bizkit

There are no good reasons to hate music you don't like now

oh okay

On top of calling someone an "apologist for capitalism" because they dared to say they hated the one of the most generically mainstream bands of the decade instead of merely disliking it. At least be consistent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If I had it to do again, I'd say I dislike Limp Bizkit's music. Your little gotcha' moment here doesn't render my point null.

Let people like things.

quote:

This doesn't make your opinion on what music you like more important than mine,
Also, I said this backwards.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

"Gatekeeping" is stuff like "I am a DJ so I know that it's stupid to hate bands" not "I think those guys are overplayed so I don't like them"

And of course "let people like things" is just a way to make anyone who doesn't like what you like some kind of fun police, which is also gatekeeping

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Also, I work in film a bit, but the way I've been paying my bills since 2003 is DJing, KJing, and being a master of ceremonies.

This doesn't make your opinion on what music you like more important than mine, but it does mean I get to speak to how loving stupid it is to hate things and people and bands needlessly with some degree of authority.

Which is very. It's very stupid.

Let people like things.

Saying "this band does not vibe with me at all" (which is what I mean when I say I hate a band, it's a common short hand phrase) is not gatekeeping. It's stating an opinion. I love music. I am insanely passionate about the poo poo I love and could talk your ears off for hours about my latest obsession.

On the flipside, I have a visceral reaction towards the music I do not like. I really really do not have the patience for hearing stuff I don't like. It's not a reflection on the artist themselves, I do not have any malice towards Chad Kroeger when I say I'd rather drink a gallon of bleach than listen to his band ever again. It's just hyperbole to get across the point that I have a very strong negative reaction while listening to Nickelback. Nor does it attempt to invalidate someone else who happens to like Nickelback. It's my opinion. My experience with their songs. Me talking about them isn't attempting to invalidate your opinion, even if I'm using strong language.

Like what you like, in wrestling, music, film, paintings, video games, literature. Talking about your likes and dislikes with art isn't gatekeeping, it's sharing your opinions of something you care deeply about. This is the opposite of gatekeeping!

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 9, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

What the gently caress is KJing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

What the gently caress is KJing

Karaoke host

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kolin Josting

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I know every word to every Sublime song.

I cannot stand them.

It’s not their fault.

If I go to a Karaoke bar and someone decides they wanna practice Santeria, I practice going outside and not listening to it.

I say this as someone who did 3 years of UPS Store Christmas rushes listening to motherfucking Christmas Shoes (which legitimately sucks no matter how many times you listen to it). Diminishing Returns aren’t the artist’s fault.

I’m still trying to figure out how to tolerate Aerosmith again after Armageddon.

Wrestling-wise: I could really use a break from foreign object spots. That’s all opinion, and I accept that. Heh

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

lmfao seriously?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

None of this has anything to do with wrestling. Post wrestling questions that don't deserve their own thread in this thread, the thread for asking wrestling questions that don't deserve their own thread.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
"let people like things" is such a lame response to criticism.

edit: gently caress i sat on the post for too long

ok, wrestling question: what's your favorite gimmick match nobody else likes or no major company does anymore

mine's probably that ridiculous scramble match they made mike adamle announce in 2008 which resulted in Brian Kendrick being WWE champion for like 2 minutes and had chris jericho win the big gold belt after getting the poo poo kicked out of him by HBK earlier

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 9, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I’m still trying to figure out how to tolerate Aerosmith again after Armageddon.

The answer to this is "play Saints Row IV"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TriffTshngo posted:

mine's probably that ridiculous scramble match they made mike adamle announce in 2008 which resulted in Brian Kendrick being WWE champion for like 2 minutes and had chris jericho win the big gold belt after getting the poo poo kicked out of him by HBK earlier

Yeah I dug the Scramble Match too, but they completely hosed up trying to explain it (not helped by making poor Mike Adamle call it) since you weren't champion unless you ENDED the match with the last pinfall/submission, but they expressed it so it seemed like you were getting like 4 or 5 different champions through the course of a single match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The answer to this is "play Saints Row IV"

It also has prominent Rowdy Roddy Piper, to keep this wrestling related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

ok, wrestling question: what's your favorite gimmick match nobody else likes or no major company does anymore

I'm partial to a casket match, AFAIK there aren't many major companies doing them and WWE only does them when Undertaker is involved.

It's such a silly concept but I love it.