Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

How long until Superman revealing his identity is undone?

I honestly think this is the most boring and poorly thought out thing they can do with Superman. Because it doesn't matter at all, but also Clark Kent being Superman is an interesting counterpoint to Bruce Wayne being a thin veneer Batman drapes over himself to pretend to be part of society. I was honesty hoping Bendis would do a gritty Clark Kent Investigative Reporter thing when he came to DC. I have liked his stuff fine so far but it does feel like a missed opportunity.

What does everyone think about the 5G rumors so far? My take is that it could be a good idea, will have some really good books, the sales will drop like a rock on most books (especially the smaller ones), and they will chicken out and undo it before it actually develops into something people can get behind.

No one thinks Superman is Clark Kent anymore after an arc where 90s Superman (and Lois and Jon) was introduced to replace New 52 Superman so at one point, there was both a Clark Kent and a Superman publically running around with no disguise shenanigans before New 52 Superman was dissolved and merged with 90s Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bendis Daredevil, where Matt Murdock was publicly revealed to be Daredevil, is probably my favorite street level superhero comic run ever, but I instinctively think this Superman thing is a dumb idea.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Covok posted:

I have to agree. Lex Luthor's whole shitck is that he is a normal, greedy businessman with a lot to prove. He was top dog until Superman showed up. This is why some people bemoan Superman because he was gifted with all these traits while Luthor worked for them. However, I, an intellectual, argue that Lex's response to Superman is the ultimate condemnation of his person: a truly great man would have worked with Superman to help others instead of tearing down the entire world to try to scream at the void that he was superior.

Turning him into a superbeing COULD work. Hell, All-Star Superman does this AMAZINGLY. This is not All-Star Superman. This is Lex Luthor turning from the villain people love into a grey slice of white bread that blindly worships an evil god. This makes no sense for Lex. I get they lampshade it. I get they point out this is why Lex is wining because he now believes in something bigger than himself. I even concede that's thematically appropriate to a degree. But, it is boring as hell. There is a glut of characters, usually throw away, in fiction who are acting like Lex is right now. But there is only one Lex Luthor and he's nowhere to be seen in this story.

This is the best understanding of Lex Luthor I've seen, and I agree with your sentiment about All-Star Superman, which rules.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Bendis Daredevil, where Matt Murdock was publicly revealed to be Daredevil, is probably my favorite street level superhero comic run ever, but I instinctively think this Superman thing is a dumb idea.

:hai:

I hear ya, pal.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I've really enjoyed the book so far, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people are framing it as "he won't be Clark Kent anymore" but I think it's gonna be more complicated and interesting than that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yannick_B posted:

I've really enjoyed the book so far, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people are framing it as "he won't be Clark Kent anymore" but I think it's gonna be more complicated and interesting than that.

I mean, Matt Murdock is still Daredevil.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

This is one of my favorite comic runs for sure. Kingpin leaking it to the tabloids made it work so much better. It is in no way the same though, Matt had to deny being Daredevil while still being Daredevil but it obviously can't work the same way

Still all things considered Bendis is one of my favorite writers. For as much of his work is pretty forgettable (partly because of the volume certainly) he has so many things that are some of my favorite books ever. I can't think of anything he has done that is outright bad, so I am sure Superman will be fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is one of my favorite comic runs for sure. Kingpin leaking it to the tabloids made it work so much better. It is in no way the same though, Matt had to deny being Daredevil while still being Daredevil but it obviously can't work the same way

Still all things considered Bendis is one of my favorite writers. For as much of his work is pretty forgettable (partly because of the volume certainly) he has so many things that are some of my favorite books ever. I can't think of anything he has done that is outright bad, so I am sure Superman will be fine.

It wasn't Kingpin leaking the story, it was a random mook.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Was it really? Interesting. I really need to dig those out for a reread

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Was it really? Interesting. I really need to dig those out for a reread

Yeah, some dude on loan from some other crime family wants to kill Matt Murdock for interference he did in his normal course of being a good lawyer with poor clients. Kingpin says "No, you can't kill Matt Murdock" he's all like "what's so special about Matt Murdock?" And things escalated from there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It wasn't Kingpin leaking the story, it was a random mook.

Wasn't it an FBI agent?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't it an FBI agent?

You're right, random mook told an FBI agent, FBI agent told a newspaper.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

No.

Edit: Long answer is that he killed Grail by sucking out all of her energy and became an adult and also closing off that plot threead. a two-fer

Overall a good solution. Grail was pointless as was the Darkseid war thing were he died and became a baby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Baby Darkseid could have been awesome.

Jarro and Baby Yoda are awesome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Baby Darkseid could have been awesome.

Jarro and Baby Yoda are awesome.

Baby protagonists are usuallygood and cute. Baby villains aren't and it's why they don't work. Now animal villains are really good and if DC does a cosmic animated series or movie I hope Dex-Starr gets more exposure

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only Jarro deserves more spotlight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Only Jarro deserves more spotlight.

Damien should (begrudgingly) adopt Jarro and add him to his list of pets

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jarro should attach himself to damien's face.

Permanently.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman's sons: Ric, Jarro, Drake, and Damian

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New JL issue has about a line of back and forth between Jarro and Damien and it's about what you'd expect from two pure boys who want their dad's affection and attention.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If we can only have one I pick Jarro.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Hot take but I grew tired of Jarro after the first set of quips.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I was enjoying Titans, but the betrayal by the blue kid doesn't really makes that much sense. The explanations was super half-baked I thought. Even worse, the fact the the team seems to have forgiven Damien from one issue to the next seems very odd.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Writers love to write Damian as the most amoral, awful little rear end in a top hat (kind of missing the point) then have everyone forgive him with little consequence so they can repeat the process next arc. Every writer just wants to rewrite Morrison's first arc with him over and over, really.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I liked Batman Universe for the most part but man that last issue was rough. Borderline parody levels of "Bendis-speak".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1202678923412361219

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Wait, you guys are got paid?" -Jason Todd

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Hey Goons, help me out. I picked up Batman: White Knight from the library and I'm two chapters in and this is... bad? This is bad, right?

Like Joker takes magic drugs and he's a good guy but then turns Clayface to dust to mind control villains? That's really bad.

Two Harleys? Very obvious sequel baiting immediately with Mr Freeze (was there a thing before this showing him working with Batman? This is Elsewords poo poo yes?)

Flipping forward and seeing him snap back and forth between Joker and Jack with make up is just LOLOL.

I'm open to it being me though.

Sean Murphy is a hell of an artist though. Those inks!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

chefscientist posted:

Hey Goons, help me out. I picked up Batman: White Knight from the library and I'm two chapters in and this is... bad? This is bad, right?

Like Joker takes magic drugs and he's a good guy but then turns Clayface to dust to mind control villains? That's really bad.

Two Harleys? Very obvious sequel baiting immediately with Mr Freeze (was there a thing before this showing him working with Batman? This is Elsewords poo poo yes?)

Flipping forward and seeing him snap back and forth between Joker and Jack with make up is just LOLOL.

I'm open to it being me though.

Sean Murphy is a hell of an artist though. Those inks!

Yeah it's extremely stupid. Sean Murphy does gorgeous work but I wish he was doing it somewhere else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My favourite dumb thing in White Knight is that Jason Todd is the first Robin in White Knight's continuity because Sean Murphy didn't know the standard one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like the two Harleys thing. Goes a long way to reconcile fun comedy book Harley existing in the same universe as the lovely Joker Lite version from Suicide Squad. I still remember that the month before Harley Quinn got a solo series she starred in a one shot where she explicitly mass murders a ton of children.

What a fun wacky character!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really like the two Harleys thing. Goes a long way to reconcile fun comedy book Harley existing in the same universe as the lovely Joker Lite version from Suicide Squad. I still remember that the month before Harley Quinn got a solo series she starred in a one shot where she explicitly mass murders a ton of children.

What a fun wacky character!

Two Harleys? Is this some Three Jokers bullshit?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Two Harleys? Is this some Three Jokers bullshit?

It is more elegant than that, thankfully. The first Harley was the one from the cartoon who got fed up and left. Then some fangirl just stepped in and the Joker doesn't know the difference because he too crazy. Which, uhh.... Sure.

I had forgotten about Three Jokers being a thing. Hopefully the fall of Geoff John's means it will never be mentioned again. Man, I can't wait for 5G to come and bury DC for good. The were doing better with Rebirth but they are definitely starting to get stupid again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm waiting for Chip Zdarsky to do his "Fourth Joker" story.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm waiting for Chip Zdarsky to do his "Fourth Joker" story.

Four jokers, labelled One, Two, Three and Five

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Imagine four Jokers on the edge of a cliff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The two harley things is done ok but that whole comic is bad bad
There are three batmans right now, between batman, dadbat, and dark multiverse batman. Batman 84 ended up being pretty good. I just wanna see dadbat fight jokerbat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I had forgotten about Three Jokers being a thing. Hopefully the fall of Geoff John's means it will never be mentioned again. Man, I can't wait for 5G to come and bury DC for good. The were doing better with Rebirth but they are definitely starting to get stupid again.

They're getting rid of Johns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

The two harley things is done ok but that whole comic is bad bad
There are three batmans right now, between batman, dadbat, and dark multiverse batman. Batman 84 ended up being pretty good. I just wanna see dadbat fight jokerbat.

Which book is this happening in anyways?

Dawgstar posted:

They're getting rid of Johns?

He left his position at DC to "focus on writing."