Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

tin can made man posted:

on at least one occasion I've relistened to most of the Son of the Mask episode solely to get to Andrew's shell-shocked "Ladies and gentlemen..."

Oh man, I can hear that line in my head. Great bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acht posted:

I can't get enough of the Rising Sun episode and them imitating Sean Connery saying "The Japanese" a lot.

For some reason they way they imagine him saying "Shut up, stupid" in the Never Say Never Again episode constantly replays in my head.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The best guest they’ve ever had was Andrews wife, she was hysterical. Second best was the guy on the pet cemetery episode. Don’t care enough to rate the rest.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

The best guest they’ve ever had was Andrews wife, she was hysterical. Second best was the guy on the pet cemetery episode. Don’t care enough to rate the rest.

Edit: almost time for my pottersville re-listen. That ep is delightfully unhinged and all the impressions are great.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Justin J Case and Sean Weiner have always been good guests but Andrew’s wife was absolutely the best single-appearance guest

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Angelica Jade Bastién in the Species episode was an excellent guest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

clown shoes posted:

:hmmyes:

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soup du Jour posted:

Justin J Case and Sean Weiner have always been good guests but Andrew’s wife was absolutely the best single-appearance guest

I don't really think of Case as a guest. He's like the Fifth Beatle, WHM's roving disaster movie expert

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

extremely online posted:

I don't really think of Case as a guest. He's like the Fifth Beatle, WHM's roving disaster movie expert

If you listen to the back catalogue he's in it quite a bit.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If you listen to the back catalogue he's in it quite a bit.

With some lines that still echo in my head to this day.

"And on the way up here, I had to eat at Arby's!"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought Gabrus was pretty funny but I'm glad I watched Die Hard With A Vengeance beforehand because they were all over the place with the plot

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The best guest hosts are going to be people who mesh well with the guys and feel like part of the gang. Chelsea is married to one and spends a lot of time around all of them, she has known them for years; her tweets about them recording are always hilarious. The same applies to the other wives, just listen to that mailbag from a few years ago where they were all on. Justin J Case and Sean Weiner are old friends with the guys and so them being on the show, like Chelsea, is just like hanging out with them. WHM is a podcast that is just four best friends hanging out and riffing on movies. It's the most relatable format.
https://twitter.com/chelseajupin/status/1201697475351973888

Angelica Jade Bastién is clearly a fan of the show and listens to it regularly so even though she might not be old friends with them, or even know them well, she meshes well and fits right in. This could literally apply to any fan of the show, really. Once you've listened to hundreds and thousands of hours of something, you can't help but fall into the groove.

Grabrus doesn't strike me as someone who listens to the show a whole lot, at least not enough to be familiar with the material, callbacks, and bits, unlike Angelica who was all over that poo poo. He works for Headgum and his appearance is synergy at work. That doesn't make him bad but it also doesn't make him a good fit with WHM. He's doing his own thing which isn't dissimilar from what the guys do but he is not simpatico with the guys like they are with each other.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

extremely online posted:

I use Downcast for everything (you have to add the Patreon feed manually, iirc, but it's easy) and it's very needs-suiting. It has a keyword search function when you click "see all episodes," which can help for finding things like Mailbag episodes or WLM, and it pulls down everything that's not archived in that Google Drive you should have gotten a link to with your Patreon sub.

Thanks for the help for those who addressed my question and I apologize for being a dork about it. I'm sure it's a combination of me not being much of a phone junkie combined with how many different sites you can stream from.

What I was hoping to find (for my phone) is something like the main/master list from the WHM Prime website that works when I click "patrons only" but that seems to be where the maze starts. I blew through most of the master list but there were several movies I really wanted to hear get The Treatment..JAWS 4, Man of Steel, Superman 3 and 4, The Glass House...it's all well worth the money.

I just can't figure out how to get that really simple main list on my phone to where it will just unlock me on the "patrons only" ones and, for some reason, depending how I gently caress around with poo poo, the streaming interface I find myself in is different each time. The Patreon "feed" lists EVERYTHING they post and I can't seem to flip the feed from oldest to newest or filter it the way I want on my Android. If it helps, here's the list I find the easiest to deal with and the one I've binged the poo poo out of over the last year or so.

https://www.whmpodcast.com/whmprime

Works perfectly on my laptop/home set up but on my phone it's a maze. I was hoping the main site would recognize me as paid/signed in/a fan/all in from that list which is really easy to scroll on my phone. Or my laptop for that matter.

poo poo...sorry...I didn't mean to write a giant tech support post. Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues.

On topic.

I want to give my love to this show, the guys that created it and SA for turning me onto it. They are really loving funny and smart.

You have no idea how much more tolerable these episodes make my work day and how grateful I am to be able to laugh while I work a rather stressful job. My coworkers think I'm insane for constantly laughing while I do thankless work. Unlike a lot of "make fun of poo poo" stuff out there, these dudes are really good at what they do, don't step on each other, are not aggressive about making themselves the center of attention, have really good comedic timing and instincts and are great at call backs, references, imitations and thinking on the fly.

You can tell they love what they do and that their knowledge of cinema guides their comedy in smart directions.

TL/DR: These dudes are funny and I sometimes struggle with my phone stream

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

TL/DR: These dudes are funny and I sometimes struggle with my phone stream

Are you talking about the google drive with the old episodes or trying to stream from Patreon? I am not sure if anything exists to organize cleanly outside of an app, unless you want to manually download episodes and transfer them to your phone.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

The only guest I didn't like was a guy who was on one of their mailbags a while back. I can't remember what his name was, or which episode it was, but he was so drat annoying. Anyone else remember that guy?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Joe the Strummer posted:

The only guest I didn't like was a guy who was on one of their mailbags a while back. I can't remember what his name was, or which episode it was, but he was so drat annoying. Anyone else remember that guy?

I thought the same thing. I think he was someone at headgum, maybe? I was going to add that he's going to be in an upcoming episode, but when I went to check which episode I couldn't find where I read it. I guess I'm imagining things.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So how many tweets do you think the guys got to remind them that Gina Carano was also in a Fast and Furious movie?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I kept waiting for the episode to start in earnest. So much jumping around. So many missed great bits in the movie. No callbacks allowed because this particular guest wouldn't recognize them. Andrew and Steve were able to match his energy, but Eric and especially Cabin really faded in the background. I felt cheated out of the ep almost, and then to hear the next one is a live ep... :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Are you talking about the google drive with the old episodes or trying to stream from Patreon? I am not sure if anything exists to organize cleanly outside of an app, unless you want to manually download episodes and transfer them to your phone.

Yeah thanks. I'm starting to figure it out. I think it has to do with having episodes spread out (Google Drive, Art 19, etc.). Finally got it to where that master list is my default screen and it lets me go from there.

No if only some nice young man can set this flashing clock on my VCR I'll be all right

EDIT: LIstening to the really old episodes I unlocked and I think the show works a little better with a few drops/clips. It adds some flavor and also gives us a couple of have to hear it to believe it moments. Wonder why they don't do that much?

Where would my life be without knowing about "We Walk the Night" from Tuff Turf or "The 52 Percent" from Wild in the Streets?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 7, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT: LIstening to the really old episodes I unlocked and I think the show works a little better with a few drops/clips. It adds some flavor and also gives us a couple of have to hear it to believe it moments. Wonder why they don't do that much?

I think Jupin mentioned in a mailbag/dispatch that it was getting proactive on potential copyright stuff, same with getting their own song and not picking something based on the movie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GoutPatrol posted:

I think Jupin mentioned in a mailbag/dispatch that it was getting proactive on potential copyright stuff, same with getting their own song and not picking something based on the movie.

The lovely new metal I hear in most of the old eps I've tried was supposed to be tied to the movie???

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GoutPatrol posted:

You know I've seen people worry about this, but I've seen podcasts where people talk over entire albums so podcasting still seems like kind of a wild west for this kinda stuff.

Who knows how long that will last though.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Clips would definitely be covered under "fair use" since WHM is a review podcast, but as someone who runs podcasts with lots of clips I can tell you including them adds a not-insignificant amount of work to the process.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
The empire strikes back episode is gonna be almost 3 hours long..
Definitely longer then Star wars .

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I've called in for Last Boy Scout the last two years of listener request month. All the talk of it in the Die Hard 3 episode really has me hoping they do an episode on it soon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If I ever get around to it, I want to nominate any Prince movie that's not Purple Rain or Sign of the Times because, holy poo poo.

I love Prince but understand people who don't and Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge are 90 minute looks into everything that people who hate Prince really hate about Prince.

Maybe they do a music month and do one of those films plus poo poo like Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music, Phantom of the Paradise or KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

Also, non music related, hoping someone nominates The Last Dinosaur.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I want them to do more romcoms. I re-listened to their ep on The Ugly Truth and it was really funny; so funny in fact that their Gerald Butler impressions didn’t grate on me as much as it had done before.

The end of the episode has Eric showing the end of the movie (a sex scene) on repeat to prove some point, and they all start handling it like a JFK assassination conspiracy theory. It’s hysterical.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BiggerBoat posted:

If I ever get around to it, I want to nominate any Prince movie that's not Purple Rain or Sign of the Times because, holy poo poo.

I love Prince but understand people who don't and Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge are 90 minute looks into everything that people who hate Prince really hate about Prince.

Maybe they do a music month and do one of those films plus poo poo like Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music, Phantom of the Paradise or KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

Blank Check has a movie this week, the Talking Heads concert movie Stop Making Sense.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BiggerBoat posted:

I unironically love Phantom of Paradise

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I unironically love Phantom of Paradise

Same. I just think the guys would have a lot to work with if they did it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Shock Treatment or bust.

Repo! The Genetic Opera has to be 10+ years old by now...

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Inkspot posted:

Repo! The Genetic Opera has to be 10+ years old by now...

It's 11. And holy poo poo, that movie.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Firstborn posted:

I felt cheated out of the ep almost, and then to hear the next one is a live ep... :(

Yeah these live episodes don't seem to work for me. They feel less.. sincere? Sometimes reminds me too much of HDTGM.
I've tried a few but sort of gave up on them. Are there any good ones that might change my mind?

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Acht posted:

Yeah these live episodes don't seem to work for me. They feel less.. sincere? Sometimes reminds me too much of HDTGM.
I've tried a few but sort of gave up on them. Are there any good ones that might change my mind?

Waterworld was live and was 100% magical.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I used to feel the same way when the live episodes were an hour, but now that’s they’re going a buck thirty it feels much closer to a studio episode.

Also holy poo poo The Apple episode of Nexus nearly killed me. Nu metal Bones is an amazing character.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They do try to ham it up to the crowd more than just trying to make each other laugh. Just like most improv it’s funnier in person.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I didn't care for the first several live shows AT ALL due to audio quality making them unlistenable. Then one day I saw on twitter a lot of people were telling them the latest (at the time) live episode was unacceptably low quality. I was curious as to how bad it had to be to get that kind of reaction after the previous recordings. It was, at worst, fine. It was definitely better than the previous live episodes.

I like the live episodes. Sometimes you get good bits from them. They're not ones I relisten to a lot but I'd rather listen to a live episode than another episode about some stupid jim belushi movie where they make the same jokes they've made about every other stupid jim belushi movie.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

I like the live episodes. Sometimes you get good bits from them. They're not ones I relisten to a lot but I'd rather listen to a live episode than another episode about some stupid jim belushi movie where they make the same jokes they've made about every other stupid jim belushi movie.

But how else would we get "I'm sorry Mr. Dominos..."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer live show is pretty great, imo.