Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Currently playing Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for the first time (bought it on WiiShop forever ago and only now playing it) and goddamn this poo poo is HARD

I feel like my decades of gaming should have given me a decent sense for intuitively playing Castlevania but apparently I was wrong. I'm getting my poo poo kicked in at every level. 5-7 continues every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Illusion of Gaia. I was a Super Mario Bros/Megaman kid; not an RPG kid. I also never owned an SNES. So I knew very little about this game before reading threads here and getting interested enough to give it a shot. I'm at the part where Will is escaping the castle prison, and I really like the game so far.

I'd also like to give Earthbound a real shot. It's supposed to be a really great game but for whatever reason, I've never gotten beyond the very beginning before moving on to something else.

e: I just got to the point in Gaia where Kara asked me if I was her friend. Without giving too much away, is there a right answer to this question? I was thinking of Chrono Trigger where actions at the fair have ramifications for later.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 2, 2019

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't have it for the Amiga.

WinUAE works great and the files are usually a google search away.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mike12345 posted:

WinUAE works great and the files are usually a google search away.

:nono:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

e: I just got to the point in Gaia where Kara asked me if I was her friend. Without giving too much away, is there a right answer to this question? I was thinking of Chrono Trigger where actions at the fair have ramifications for later.

not that i recall no. there might be something about getting a jewel tied to it, not sure. getting all the jewels for the mysterious dude gets you an optional side-dungeon and some of the jewels are missable, so that's the only real concern.

it's not that big a concern through. minor spoilers: the optional dungeon reveals a direct link to the previous game, Soul Blazer, with one the old bosses reappearing. Same thing happens with the third game, Terranigma, referring back to Illusion of Gaia in obscure ways. Terranigma is also a brilliant game if you finish Illusion and want more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gotta love in Metroid Prime 1 when they put a squad of jet pack pirates in the room right next to the plasma beam and you just annihilate them in a single charged shot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dash Rendar posted:

not that i recall no. there might be something about getting a jewel tied to it, not sure. getting all the jewels for the mysterious dude gets you an optional side-dungeon and some of the jewels are missable, so that's the only real concern.

it's not that big a concern through. minor spoilers: the optional dungeon reveals a direct link to the previous game, Soul Blazer, with one the old bosses reappearing. Same thing happens with the third game, Terranigma, referring back to Illusion of Gaia in obscure ways. Terranigma is also a brilliant game if you finish Illusion and want more.

Thanks! I was just worried that it would be one of those RPG moments where you make the wrong decision and pay for it down the line.

I'm at the Inca ruins and loving Illusion so far. This is probably blasphemy but....I actually kinda like it better than Earthbound (though it's also a great game).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I really want to like Viewpoint but it's just unforgivable for a shmup to drop you back earlier in the level if you die. The music is awesome though and it looks amazing for a Genesis game.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

I really want to like Viewpoint but it's just unforgivable for a shmup to drop you back earlier in the level if you die. The music is awesome though and it looks amazing for a Genesis game.

checkpoints are good. in a shmup with tough-but-fair checkpoints you feel like a Master when you can recover from them (examples: Hishouzame/Flying Shark, Tatsujin/Truxton, Image Fight)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Another dumb realization about Shadow Warrior: the highest level difficulty is the most fun and rewarding, but when I was a kid I never played it, or any top level difficulty in a BUILD engine game, because I assumed it was like Doom 2, where the enemies just respawn. I got this idea from Duke 3d because the enemies respawn if their corpses still exist?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Went back and started playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Goon Celdia, has a mod that almost takes the game down to the brass tacks and reubuilds it. All new classes, new abilities. Absolutely top notch. Trasson is doing a SSLP of it currently.

A+ Would highly recommend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Found out there's a modern installer for Command & Conquer Red Alert that works fine with Windows 10 and patches the whole thing so it can be played in hi-res. I've held on to the game for literally more than a decade now since it never really ran properly on any PC I had. At least it's a DVD case and not a big box.

Verdict: now that I can play it without the sound crapping out, or the whole thing stuttering like crazy, or being 40 000 times as fast as it should be: it's a great game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

e: I did get to play it some when I was in the service but never got very far as there was always a queue for the Conscript Committee PC.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

Found out there's a modern installer for Command & Conquer Red Alert that works fine with Windows 10 and patches the whole thing so it can be played in hi-res. I've held on to the game for literally more than a decade now since it never really ran properly on any PC I had. At least it's a DVD case and not a big box.

Verdict: now that I can play it without the sound crapping out, or the whole thing stuttering like crazy, or being 40 000 times as fast as it should be: it's a great game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

e: I did get to play it some when I was in the service but never got very far as there was always a queue for the Conscript Committee PC.

Is there also one for Red Alert 2? I played a lot of that game while recuperating from surgery in high school and it singlehandedly got me back into PC games. I miss it a lot but I've never managed to find a version that seems to work well on modern Windows 10 machines.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm too broke for the remake so I'm paying links awakening dx.

It's got good Zelda bones but someone went "the good part of jrpgs is actually being forced to talk to everyone in order to procede" and that's not that cool imo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there also one for Red Alert 2? I played a lot of that game while recuperating from surgery in high school and it singlehandedly got me back into PC games. I miss it a lot but I've never managed to find a version that seems to work well on modern Windows 10 machines.

I'm not sure but I think the answer is "yes, kind of"? I.e. you can get it running on Windows 10 but it's not as slick as for Red Alert. I'm going by what I found when Googling "how to play command and conquer on windows 10" and the answers here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/C-amp-C-Ultimate-Collection-amp-Windows-10/td-p/5051178

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not sure but I think the answer is "yes, kind of"? I.e. you can get it running on Windows 10 but it's not as slick as for Red Alert. I'm going by what I found when Googling "how to play command and conquer on windows 10" and the answers here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/C-amp-C-Ultimate-Collection-amp-Windows-10/td-p/5051178

Awesome; thanks! I'd love to be able to get RA2 working on my current laptop. I keep waiting to see if a version pops up on Gog or Steam, but I haven't seen it yet.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

just finished another win on Aerobiz Supersonic and am reminded both why I enjoy that game and also why I rarely play it

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I got Castlevania Chronicles over the holiday sales and just did a savestate-based playthrough of Castlevania Adventure, which has breathtakingly awful motion and combat, but very solid graphics and one of the best soundtracks on the GBA.

I seriously find myself wondering if they altered the game's physics at the last minute or something and didn't work through a round of playtesting and refinement afterwards.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’ve been playing Marvelous for the SNES/SFC and it’s been holding my attention. It’s like a mix between Link to the Past and The Lost Vikings. You control 3 kids with different abilities and tools to solve puzzles and find pirate treasure, and you have the ability to freeze the screen to examine points of interest which adds a real adventure game vibe to the mix. I just got to Chapter 2 after about 4 hours, and I can see myself following it through to the end. It has a decent sense of humor and the fan translation is more than serviceable, and I only heard about the game a few days ago so it’s really a great find for me. The director wanted to make a game like LttP and went on to direct Ocarina of Time, which is kind of heartwarming.

I’m probably going to be spending a lot of time playing PSX and earlier titles between now and March, so I’ll be kind of camping out in this thread. After I beat Death Stranding I dusted off my RetroPie and made a list of a few dozen RPGs and other classics that I wanted to focus on. Last week I was playing Soul Blazer, but I got to the fourth area and decided to shelve it since I had already beaten it once when the SNES was contemporary. Good, easy game, but there are too many new things to try.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I was playing Vandal Hearts but put it down and, eh, I had my fun with it and don't feel like finishing this playthrough since I've beaten it a bunch of times.

Just started a new game of Illusion of Gaia and want to say gently caress you to whoever designed that puzzle in the Incan ruins where you not only have to find the right tile but have to stand perfectly still on it for 10 seconds before the door opens. Anyway, going to try and get all the red jewels this time. Iirc last time I played this, ages ago, I missed exactly one, so that was annoying.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just beat Link to the Past for the first time.

It was a good game, and I imagine that the Dark World twist blew minds in 1991. I find that the Zelda series has some inscrutable sequences that get dismissed as part of its charm, and that was in play here. I played the dungeons blind and used a walkthrough to find the overworld goodies, especially once I found Dark World. Very thankful for that fact. Looking for what I want to play next on a SNES Mini. I'm between Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country, and maybe Secret of Mana with some Super Punch Out thrown in intermittently. I could also maybe play FF6, but that may be optimistic since I would need to play in 10-30 minute bursts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My vote is for Yoshi's Island, having just played through it again recently. Absolutely delightful classic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My favorite thing about Yoshi's Island is how most things feel all soft and spongy in a way that no other game does, it makes the whole game feel very comforting

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

My favorite WAAAAAAH thing about Yoshi's Island was WAAAAAH WAAAH

Excuse me, it'sWAAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAH

WAAAAAH It's WAAAAAAHHH

WAAAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAH

Eh gently caress it, I give up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The baby cries never bothered me really, I was kind of surprised people hated it so much

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Just don't get hit, always worked for me :shrug:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Yoshi's Island is legendary. Such a fantastic robust platformer packed to the gills with charm.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyway, going to try and get all the red jewels this time. Iirc last time I played this, ages ago, I missed exactly one, so that was annoying.

the reward is absolutely not worth it. (though I have gone back and replayed the game to get all of them myself anyways!)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's worth it imo, the hidden dungeon is creepy and you get a difficult new boss.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

It's worth it imo, the hidden dungeon is creepy and you get a difficult new boss.

For a moment there I thought I was in the Work Crew thread :newlol:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I don't want to spoil anything about Marvelous since I know there's like three people on these forums who have played it, but the Zelda influences are really piling up. In a good way. I think they were going to revisit the concept but scrapped the idea, but I can definitely see a take on Zelda where Link's normal abilities are split between three people. I wish Marvelous was a little snappier, there's a lot of text boxes for doing simple actions and every time I pick up a Luck Stone (the only currency/collectable) the game stops while you hold it up and it displays your Luck Stone count.

When I was playing Soul Blazer my plan was to play through that whole trilogy, going through Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. I should probably just jump to the end though, Terranigma's the one I have the least experience with and is reportedly the best of the bunch.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Just finished a play-through of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS (last time I played it was about a decade ago). I'm pretty mediocre at platformers, so it's a good fit for me. It's fun, it controls well (unless you get the shell powerup), and you can find almost everything in the game without a guide. If you're good at platformers, it might be a little too lightweight.

Shibawanko posted:

The baby cries never bothered me really, I was kind of surprised people hated it so much

Did they? I've never heard anything other than endless gushing about how great of a game Yoshi's Island is. Personally I'm not a fan (and yeah, the baby crying is part of the reason), but I do get that it's unique and scratches an itch that I don't think any other game really does - I just don't personally have that itch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

keep in mind illusion of gaia's manual just straight up tells you where the red jewels are so if you want to just look up a pdf and follow along it doesn't matter. none of them are hard to get they're just sometimes hard to find.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Just finished Landstalker on the Switch Genesis collection. Its really good so long as you have no shame in using the rewind button, as some of the jumping puzzles in the second half are frankly bullshit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shibawanko posted:

it IS true that the dungeon is creepy and the boss is good--and I like the reference to Soul Blazer. trying to find all the jewels and not miss any of the missable ones just never felt worth it in a length RPG to me. i always felt...

that...

Phantasium posted:

keep in mind illusion of gaia's manual just straight up tells you where the red jewels are so if you want to just look up a pdf and follow along it doesn't matter. none of them are hard to get they're just sometimes hard to find.

no loving way. seriously?

haha, holy poo poo, i used to rent this game from Blockbuster multiple times, no instruction manual, and bashed my head against the wall again and again over not being able to find them.

:negative:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dash Rendar posted:

no loving way. seriously?

haha, holy poo poo, i used to rent this game from Blockbuster multiple times, no instruction manual, and bashed my head against the wall again and again over not being able to find them.

:negative:
They included a full strategy guide for the game in the manual. About the only thing it doesn't cover is the final dungeon and the bonus dungeon.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
the last level(?) of Monster World iv is driving me crazy lol

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
I am getting into Shining Force 2. It is faster paced than FE 3 Houses.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

Thanks! I was just worried that it would be one of those RPG moments where you make the wrong decision and pay for it down the line.

I'm at the Inca ruins and loving Illusion so far. This is probably blasphemy but....I actually kinda like it better than Earthbound (though it's also a great game).

I think to fully appreciate Earthbound, you had to play it as a kid in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The 8th party member in Shadow Hearts II seems like a dweeb but I still haven't unlocked his Personal skill + not sure if he's even sticking around for very long. Also he looks like Yuri's son but that makes no sense with the timeline.