Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ZeusCannon posted:

I am enjoying sword and my son loves it. But i am sad that we have literally never had another trainer join our raids :saddowns:

Sounds like you need a second switch and a copy of Shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ZeusCannon posted:

I am enjoying sword and my son loves it. But i am sad that we have literally never had another trainer join our raids :saddowns:

Make sure you're connected to the network when you try (Y -> Press Start)

I'm not sure if many people are joining low rank raids but high rank stuff can get a couple people usually

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Make sure you're connected to the network when you try (Y -> Press Start)

I'm not sure if many people are joining low rank raids but high rank stuff can get a couple people usually
wait wait back up

the + button is named Start?!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm fine with them testing singles Dynamax for Ubers because it is real dumb in 6v6 singles.

It is awesome in VGC doubles and not nearly as oppressive. I wonder why GF continues to focus on singles-only for the mainline games while balancing mainly for Doubles. I can see how someone who only plays singles or the main story would not vibe with Dynamax at all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hop in the discord, the trade channel is just five or so of us idiots spamming fashion balls at each other and gunning for shinies, we can always pass along our living dexes.

I know it's been posted at some point, but mind sharing the link again?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Framboise posted:

I know it's been posted at some point, but mind sharing the link again?

I'm assuming it's the one in the OP.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ve EV raised/bottle capped Zacian and Dracovish and bred and raised both abilities for Darmanitan. Not sure what to raise next. This is mostly for Battle Tower for now, but some suggestions for good synergy with the non-legendaries for an eventual PvP 6 on 6 team would be helpful.

Are there any clear stand outs for OU so far? I imagine the old stand bys of Tyranitar/Excadrill, Toxapex, Gengar, Gyarados Rotom-W/H, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, Dugtrio are still dominant.

Don’t want to make a rain team tho.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 10, 2019

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Hello, Pokeygoons. I've been easing back into this series thanks to the Amazon sale on Let's Go Eevee, but now I'm working on my first modern-ish mainline game (HeartGold). The other day I managed to catch an Impish Scyther, which seems like a great recipe for my all-time number one dude, Scizor. Is there any chance of persuading someone to dig their 3/DS out of storage for a trade between Gen IV games? Should I try the Discourse instead?

Also, precisely how much bullshit should I anticipate in the HGSS Safari Zone? I've tried parsing the Bulbapedia and Serebii pages, and apparently it has something to do with blocks? I recall a post in this thread claiming it would take years of continuous play to see every available mon, which, uh.

Thanks for reading, and a belated :objection: to the guy who tried to equate Magnemite and Klink.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Gen 4 wifi is deader than Scizor in sword and shield so you're going to need to find a person irl

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Welp. Thanks for the prompt reply. I haven't known any Pokemon fans since middle school, but maybe I'll find a local event or something.

:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Optimist Prime posted:

Welp. Thanks for the prompt reply. I haven't known any Pokemon fans since middle school, but maybe I'll find a local event or something.

:negative:

There IS a way if you really, absolutely, have to have that pokemon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

The analysis that's going on in the suspect testing thread is very insightful and even playing around myself (I'm nowhere near the required rating to vote, but) it's pretty obvious that it doesn't have a place in a competitive 6v6 singles environment.

Which is fine, not everything is 6v6 singles, and that's why you do tests and have different tiers. I personally disagree with the idea of total banishment to Ubers - I think making "Power Spot OU" where it plays off the in-game lore that you need a ~special place~ to dynamax/gigantimax is smarter - but man it's oppressive.

There's an argument to be made of "well don't let these mons dynamax" but I heavily agree with our own OFS's reasoning in the suspect testing thread:

TBH I do find it pretty hilarious that dynamax has made access to fuckin' bounce incredibly significant. Like, just the concept of Gyarados actually using its flying STAB for something is wild to me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cattail Prophet posted:

TBH I do find it pretty hilarious that dynamax has made access to fuckin' bounce incredibly significant. Like, just the concept of Gyarados actually using its flying STAB for something is wild to me.

Oh yeah, that bit had me rolling. Who knew that a completely superfluous move would turn into "I get to put +1 Spe on my Moxie sweeper while it starts its sweep, eat poo poo". :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's great being 5 months into this max raid reset and knowing that you could've had a full team of the second rarest poke in the den without seeing the rarest one at all.

How the hell did they expect people to get any of these g-max pokes without using an exploit?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 11, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

AlternateNu posted:

How the hell did they expect people to get any of these g-max pokes without using an exploit?

Promotions. Right now they're doing Corviknight and Centiskorch for Shield, Dreadnaw and Sandaconda for Sword and Butterfree and Snorlax for both.

I guess the other Pokemon with Gigantamax forms will be available in this manner in the future.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the rates on non-event Gigantamax spawns are atrocious.

First you need to get a purple beam since non-event Gigants are only available from those. A purple beam has only a 10% chance of showing up. It randomly picks from a 1 to 5 star raid. If you're in the post-game, then you'll only get 3 to 5 star raids. So it's a 1 in 3 chance of getting a 5 star, which most Gigants are locked to. And most only have a 5% or 10% chance of spawning from a 5 star. So a 1 in 30/60 chance on average to see a Gigantamax from a purple beam. Factoring in the purple beam, it takes 300 to 600 attempts on average if you just burned wishing pieces to get a Gigantamax without any form of cheesing. Yeah if you're hunting for Gigantamaxes, just cheese it or wait for an event. It's not worth the time to burn through all that.

On an unrelated note, while shields are up, they reduce damage by a whopping 95%! Still possible to deal heavy damage through them though under certain circumstances. And OHKO moves will remove 2 at a time if they manage to connect. (Though they do absolutely nothing if no shields are up.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Zuzie posted:

Promotions. Right now they're doing Corviknight and Centiskorch for Shield, Dreadnaw and Sandaconda for Sword and Butterfree and Snorlax for both.

I guess the other Pokemon with Gigantamax forms will be available in this manner in the future.

Is THAT why I get nothing but loving Centiskorch all the time to the point where I get so bored I stop playing? That explains a lot. I have so many Centiskorch man. So many. I love my Mega Bacon, they're a great egg hatcher, but god I want to see more things in my dens.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm assuming it's the one in the OP.

Ah. I remember there being a link to a pokemon trading thread or whatever and thought it was there or something. I shall get the one in the OP.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Hot drat, that actually worked.

OK, my friend code is 0220 7555 0042. If someone can help me complete the trade, I'll buy them some sort of premium perk for the forums.

e: not sure if this means anything for app users, besides maybe an av? In any case, if someone's willing to put up with this aggravation, I'll buy them *something* for ~$10.

Optimist Prime fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 11, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I just realized the first Sinistea I caught during the main game was authentic, after realizing there's a chipped pot and cracked pot for its two forms and the cracked pot won't work on my bred Sinistea. :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dynamax raids are super fun but I don’t know why they create a new mechanic every generation and then abandon it immediately. They could’ve just made Dynamax raids an extension of Megas/Z Moves and in a way they kinda did but there’s no reason to abandon both of those mechanics so you get fight a dynamax Rattata with an Ultra move.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I understand both sides of it.

I think the VGC is in a great place now with Dynamax but it would be an absolute clusterfuck if they had to balance around Dynamax, Z-Moves, and Megas.

Megas should just be rebalanced into new evolutions for the most part. I don't know if all of them would work, certainly not Rayquaza, but they could figure it out. Worst case scenario just put it back in. As long as the Legendaries are banned, they're not that oppressive.

I think Dynamax can just replace Z-Moves tho. I'll miss the poses and animations for some of them but in general they can be rolled into G-Max moves if they really want to. There's more utility in Dynamax rather than choosing to have one Pokemon sacrifice its hold item to throw out one nuke at some point in the battle. A Z-Move coming out is like welp, there it is. Dynamax is hype.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Megas should just be rebalanced into new evolutions for the most part. I don't know if all of them would work, certainly not Rayquaza, but they could figure it out. Worst case scenario just put it back in. As long as the Legendaries are banned, they're not that oppressive.

This. So much. I honestly don't know why they don't just roll with it. Lower the stats a bit if they're worried about balance.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The fact that they even gave megas to Rayquaza and Kyogre and Groudon in the first place leads me to believe they do not have the competency level required to genuinely take competitive balance into consideration when designing and balancing the scene in the future

also raids are my favorite pokemon feature in a LONG time and I don't think I would have even gotten this game without them, and definitely won't get future gens if they aren't in. They're such a great idea and I'd love to see them build on the idea but uhhhhhhh

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Remember Blaziken?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not sure what megas are but if they could be incorporated into the PvP meta I'm sure dynamax can

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The fact that they even gave megas to Rayquaza and Kyogre and Groudon in the first place leads me to believe they do not have the competency level required to genuinely take competitive balance into consideration when designing and balancing the scene in the future

They don't care about balancing in the way that weird obsessed adults (myself included) do. It's not about that to them. Same with smash, we are loving weirdos who won't stop playing the game as adults. They don't want or need to cater to us.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GenericGirlName posted:

They don't care about balancing in the way that weird obsessed adults (myself included) do. It's not about that to them. Same with smash, we are loving weirdos who won't stop playing the game as adults. They don't want or need to cater to us.

I mean, Nintendo and Gamefreak run huge Pokemon League tournaments that have world championships, regional tournaments across multiple countries, and have to organize huge amounts of volunteers and locations and resources to keep them going. One event they had was giving out a special Pachirisu in-game after the guy who won the World Championship used one on his team, so it's not like this is all third-party, Gamefreak themselves are really heavily involved. To say that competetive Pokemon is the outlier and that Gamefreak don't even really think about it when they make custom rulesets for these tournaments just isn't true

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like when gamefreak introduce incredibly unbalanced Pokemon cause I like big numbers.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I mean, Nintendo and Gamefreak run huge Pokemon League tournaments that have world championships, regional tournaments across multiple countries, and have to organize huge amounts of volunteers and locations and resources to keep them going. One event they had was giving out a special Pachirisu in-game after the guy who won the World Championship used one on his team, so it's not like this is all third-party, Gamefreak themselves are really heavily involved. To say that competetive Pokemon is the outlier and that Gamefreak don't even really think about it when they make custom rulesets for these tournaments just isn't true

Those tournaments don't need to be balanced more because they have the exact draw they want. This is fine for them. They like it exactly how it is. They don't need more turnout and historically it's worse when adults who care too much and are pompus about Beung Better Than Game Freak show up because they get constant Fiasco's of bullshit leaking and weird drama. (It's even worse with the card game where doing good sorta requires spending more money so the adults are entitled assholes who do weird bullshit. See the past of pokebeach, which is fine now and has been for a while).

Edit bc timing;

TheHan posted:

I like when gamefreak introduce incredibly unbalanced Pokemon cause I like big numbers.
Yes. There should be a format for it and it should be the most accessible. Im good with the game freak sanctioned poo poo being Big Numbers and Oops Sky Drop Is Banned. It's loving fun.

What else is fun? A good OU/UU scene that balanced. Good thing I can do that on showdown. What else is good? The weird Other Meta on showdown that will show up in 4 months when they've programmed in dynamax perfectly that is a hybrid of dynamax and mega :getin:

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 11, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheHan posted:

Iron Defense Shuckle raid boss when

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GenericGirlName posted:

Those tournaments don't need to be balanced more because they have the exact draw they want. This is fine for them. They like it exactly how it is. They don't need more turnout and historically it's worse when adults who care too much and are pompus about Beung Better Than Game Freak show up because they get constant Fiasco's of bullshit leaking and weird drama. (It's even worse with the card game where doing good sorta requires spending more money so the adults are entitled assholes who do weird bullshit. See the past of pokebeach, which is fine now and has been for a while).

I'm not sure how the "Pokemon meta" is really related to any of this in terms of how any of this would be undone if they did a better job of making things more balanced and so you saw less of exactly two Pokemon

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm not sure how the "Pokemon meta" is really related to any of this in terms of how any of this would be undone if they did a better job of making things more balanced and so you saw less of exactly two Pokemon

Uh... The "meta"... Is the meta game? An idea described as "any part of the game defined outside of the game" so things like... Fake rules for Competative Pocket Monster battling. I. Sorry you got scared by this concept.

Game Freak balances around the story of the game you play on the cartridge you buy. Not the tournaments you sign up to play outside of that. This is called a meta game. Google it, it's a concept outside of Pokemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Iron Defense Shuckle raid boss when

I would sooner throw myself and my switch into a woodchipper than approach that thing with a team of NPCs

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GenericGirlName posted:

Uh... The "meta"... Is the meta game? An idea described as "any part of the game defined outside of the game" so things like... Fake rules for Competative Pocket Monster battling. I. Sorry you got scared by this concept.

Game Freak balances around the story of the game you play on the cartridge you buy. Not the tournaments you sign up to play outside of that. This is called a meta game. Google it, it's a concept outside of Pokemon.

Yeah, I know. I'm just fundamentally disagreeing with the idea that if Pokemon were more balanced, it would be a bad thing because suddenly a bunch of weirdos would start showing up to the game and ruining everything. Gamefreak can do huge number Pokemon in singleplayer to appeal to the audience who likes that, that's totally cool. If they also wanted to just relish in the lack of balance and have everything be a free-for-all in competetive, that would be whatever too. But the current middle ground they're sitting in, where they are actively taking steps to ban things they put in the game because they're obviously broken but letting other stuff that is also pretty obviously broken to the point where 99% of all players are using one of those two Pokemon, feels more like an oversight than a carefully calculated decision because they wanted the game to be fair but not TOO fair because then weirdos would like it

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm just fundamentally disagreeing with the idea that if Pokemon were more balanced, it would be a bad thing because suddenly a bunch of weirdos would start showing up to the game and ruining everything. Gamefreak can do huge number Pokemon in singleplayer to appeal to the audience who likes that, that's totally cool. If they also wanted to just relish in the lack of balance and have everything be a free-for-all in competetive, that would be whatever too. But the current middle ground they're sitting in, where they are actively taking steps to ban things they put in the game because they're obviously broken but letting other stuff that is also pretty obviously broken to the point where 99% of all players are using one of those two Pokemon, feels more like an oversight than a carefully calculated decision because they wanted the game to be fair but not TOO fair because then weirdos would like it

I literally said it wouldn't be bad why did you reply to me?

Edit: sorry I'm ok with people unrelated to game freak doing a thing in their spare time while also hosting and assisting people doing the exact opposite. What the gently caress.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

also raids are my favorite pokemon feature in a LONG time and I don't think I would have even gotten this game without them, and definitely won't get future gens if they aren't in. They're such a great idea and I'd love to see them build on the idea but uhhhhhhh

Cover legendaries (and some Mythicals) aren’t supposed to be balanced against ordinary Pokémon; that’s why they’re banned from Battle Spot, etc. Mega Rayquaza is a mistake in the sense of breaking Ubers, but the Primals are fine.

That’s not to say Mega Rayquaza was Game Freak’s only balance mistake, of course. By my count, there are ten “regular” Pokémon that were Ubers in Gen 7; five if you don’t count Megas. Plus Kyurem-Black was actually underpowered for a cover legendary. Note that Game Freak learned from their mistakes here; they nerfed Aegislash and Dexited the other Gen 7 Ubers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flopsy posted:

I would sooner throw myself and my switch into a woodchipper than approach that thing with a team of NPCs

It'd actually be a really accessible boss in the sense that it would be totally irrelevant to the outcome if you had 3 NPCs versus 3 players

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

That’s not to say Mega Rayquaza was Game Freak’s only balance mistake, of course. By my count, there are ten “regular” Pokémon that were Ubers in Gen 7; five if you don’t count Megas. Plus Kyurem-Black was actually underpowered for a cover legendary. Note that Game Freak learned from their mistakes here; they nerfed Aegislash and Dexited the other Gen 7 Ubers.

Yeah, this gen kind of makes it clear that they're really starting to think about balance (they even did a lot to prevent max raid cheesing). There's very few ubers just in terms of raw stats this gen, almost no legendaries, and Dynamaxing is a much more equitable gimmick than mega evolutions. That being said, I'm really worried about how things will work when the rest of the Dex gets imported and whether or not megas come with them. Like...in a weird way I almost like the version of the game we got with no National Dex. It's this kind of thoughtfulness, along with all the ways they've tried to make competitive play more accessible, that make the really egregious balance stuff more disappointing like nooooo you guys were so close. Megas were a theoretically neat idea but then they gave one to all the mons who were already top of the food chain stat-wise

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Random thought: back in XY there were a bunch of npcs scattered around Kalos that told you about all the passive type based immunities to various effects that gen 6 added, plus sound moves ignoring substitutes, and now there's literally no in-game documentation for any of that stuff. I know there's already tons of other mechanics stuff that never gets communicated to the player, but for whatever reason this stands out to me in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Random thought: back in XY there were a bunch of npcs scattered around Kalos that told you about all the passive type based immunities to various effects that gen 6 added, plus sound moves ignoring substitutes, and now there's literally no in-game documentation for any of that stuff. I know there's already tons of other mechanics stuff that never gets communicated to the player, but for whatever reason this stands out to me in particular.

Honestly that sounds like Game Freak. The games never really explain their game mechanics clearly to the player at all and looking up all the information online is practically a requirement for getting into competitive. Heck, they still don't explain anything about egg groups and who belongs to where despite the fact that its vital for breeding egg moves/stats onto monsters.