Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. Pulling up from the bottom refreshes. That's...the issue I typed. Thank you for the kinda hostile response though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

He was seeking clarification and trying to help. It was not hostile.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Queen Combat posted:

Yep. Pulling up from the bottom refreshes. That's...the issue I typed. Thank you for the kinda hostile response though.

You said you were a new user, I didn't know if you were aware. Are you using default posts per page? Are you ignoring users? Next turns to refresh when you're at the end.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Clarification: have used app for years, new install on this phone.

I ignore a few users, but can change the "completely hide ignored users" setting back and forth and it doesn't change behavior, pull for next doesn't work. Yes, I'm aware that it wouldn't work if you're at the end of a thread. On *any* page, it simply refreshes. All settings, including theme, that I haven't mentioned are otherwise default.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last guess: You have Disable pull next off, as in the switch is to the left?

The option is backwards from the way one would expect in that the on position means it doesn't work. I'm talking about the option right above where you select the pull distance.

I'm sure you've tried multiple threads. If it's not that I don't know what to think.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nope, both options, still refreshes. It's weird. Thanks for the ideas though.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I use the OLED theme. Am I stupid and/or have crappy eyes, or is there no distinction between read and unread posts in this theme?

If there is no visual distinction, could one be made? Maybe have the white lines be a different color for the read posts?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Queen Combat posted:

Clarification: have used app for years, new install on this phone.

I ignore a few users, but can change the "completely hide ignored users" setting back and forth and it doesn't change behavior, pull for next doesn't work. Yes, I'm aware that it wouldn't work if you're at the end of a thread. On *any* page, it simply refreshes. All settings, including theme, that I haven't mentioned are otherwise default.

ignoring is basically done on a page load, so you won't see any effect with a settings change until you load that page again. It's old behaviour and a bit screwy but fixing it is awkward...

The next page thing depends on the thread when that page loads - if it looks like there's another page after the current one, the pull-to-refresh behaviour gets set as pull-for-next at the bottom. Offhand I think it won't update even if the thread does - the page bar can update as new thread data is seen, so you might get a situation (especially if you leave a page for a while then look at it later) where the page bar says there's more pages, but there weren't when the page loaded so it's still set with that last-page, pull-refreshes behaviour

if you have a lot of ignored (and completely hidden) posts in a thread, that might screw with this whole "is there a next page" calculation too, might be an edge case. There's a bit of magic involved in calculating this stuff

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I use the OLED theme. Am I stupid and/or have crappy eyes, or is there no distinction between read and unread posts in this theme?

If there is no visual distinction, could one be made? Maybe have the white lines be a different color for the read posts?

people have been complaining about OLED colours so maybe we can take a look at it - personally I think having an accent colour is probably better than just pure monochrome, you can convey a bit more info that way

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I replaced my phone about a month ago with a pixel 4xl and the app works great with it. However I noticed on my previous phone (nexus 6p, 4 years of use) that I had permanent burn in of the pencil post button in the bottom right of the screen, even in other apps. Is there a way to disable that button/otherwise avoid burn in on my fancy new phone?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Settings -> Nav - Disable FABs

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks for the quick response! That is unfortunately already disabled though I re enabled it and disabled it again to see what it does.

Wait I restarted the app and now it's gone! Thanks buddy

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Try the POS themes, they're OLED-friendly and tint read posts in either amber (best) or green. You can also edit and save new themes to a certain extent if you're willing to do simple text edits.

baka kaba posted:

people have been complaining about OLED colours so maybe we can take a look at it - personally I think having an accent colour is probably better than just pure monochrome, you can convey a bit more info that way

I think my years-old request displayed in the app's play store page for granular user-controlled theming just got a boner?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 8, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can already make your own thread themes if you customise the CSS and/or Mustache layout files! It's not documented (or guaranteed stable either) but you can play with the ones already in the app's source

Customising the actual app itself probably isn't gonna happen because themes are hardcoded resource files, and trying to sidestep the framework and add some kind of theming service would be a ton of rewriting that might not even work properly! Unless they add something like that to the OS and backport it through the support library, I wouldn't hold your breath sorry!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
About 30 minutes ago or so I got "loading failed" on every part of Awful. I logged out and couldn't log back in. Is this related to why I had to do a capcha thing to log on on the PC just now?

Strange things are afoot at the circle SA...

edit: I just got asked to use capta on Plex for the first time (on my smart TV no less) so I guess that isn't part of it. What is going on here?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 11, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Never mind, this is clearly something about my home internet. When I disconnect my phone from my wifi and use cell service instead, I can log on. What the hell is going on?

edit: after testing all kinds of websites and android apps, only SA and Plex are displaying any kind of unusual behavior. I'm so confused...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 11, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations, your IP has been flagged for spam. Do you have any IoT devices?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Queen Combat posted:

Congratulations, your IP has been flagged for spam. Do you have any IoT devices?
I've been thinking about the devices on my home network and they are the following:

A Windows PC
A Linux PC
A PS4
A PS3
A Switch
An Android smartphone
An Android Walkman

Edit: I realize this is outside of the issue of the Awful app itself, but I've never run into this kind of problem and I would greatly appreciate any advice. The only relatively new thing I've been doing in the last couple weeks is running a Plex server (off of the Linux PC), with one user other than me so we can simulwatch one specific show that I have the DVDs for, which I started about a week ago. Is that related?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 11, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

poo poo happens on residential IP blocks all the time, one IP is bad and the whole block gets blacklisted. It will probably go away in a few days.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

poo poo happens on residential IP blocks all the time, one IP is bad and the whole block gets blacklisted. It will probably go away in a few days.
Okay, thanks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are you in the UK by any chance? I think the elections are breaking the forums somehow

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Charles posted:

Are you in the UK by any chance? I think the elections are breaking the forums somehow
No, Japan. I'm still in the same situation though. The only real problem it creates is with the Awful app though, since I guess it has no way to get that capcha test in there.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Just moved from iOS to Android. One comment and one question:

Comment:
After downloading and launching the app, nothing showed up. Took me a few minutes to figure out that I had to manually go to:

Settings > Forum Index > Force a forum update

Perhaps the force forum update could be done at initial launch?

Question:
Coming from iOS to Android, I can't help but feel that the iOS app is [a lot] more polished. Is the Android version the step child here?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tortilla Maker posted:

Question:
Coming from iOS to Android, I can't help but feel that the iOS app is [a lot] more polished. Is the Android version the step child here?

Yikes. Didn't get your money's worth?

What the hell else do you want it to do exactly?

I have nothing to do with the app but I feel defensive for on behalf of the people that work hard on it. I love it. Is this just an apple form over function thing?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

Question:

The answer to your question is please go back to iOS so they can have you back in their thread

Lol at trying to throw shade on a free, community built app

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I demand to speak to the Awful app's manager!

Maybe the Apple store can help?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

I demand to speak to the Awful app's manager!

Maybe the Apple store can help?

Post/username lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tortilla Maker posted:

Question:

Kind of a lovely way to phrase the question.

I went the opposite direction in February. The apps are comparable, though they are slightly different in layout and each has features the other lacks. You are probably just not used to the way Android works, which differs from iOS in a number of ways and things not working like you expect is just part of switching environments like this.

If you’re just sad that you can’t make new threads in the Android app, then lol

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Yikes, hit a nerve! Sorry.

Just saw that it's part of the same Github root project with some shared devs, so wasn't sure if one of the projects simply took in a bit more of their attention. Agree that my phrasing was poor. :love:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I don’t think there’s much (any?) directly shared dev effort between platforms. People only have so much hobby time and they spend it on their preferred platform. Sticking the apps under the same GitHub organization seemed more convenient than having them under various personal accounts, especially as people come and go over the years. Your assumption was a reasonable one to make though.

And yeah they’re a bit embarrassed around here about not being able to post threads, gotta tread lightly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pokeyman posted:

And yeah they’re a bit embarrassed around here about not being able to post threads, gotta tread lightly.

Lol no one's "embarrassed" that this app doesn't have that functionality.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Is there any way that I can sync the Awful app's theme to when my phone has dark mode on? I'm on Android 10, and just recently started using the dark mode in bed at night. My phone automatically had every other app swap over to their versions of dark mode when I turn it on, but the Awful App doesn't. I can manually change it in the settings menu in the app, but if I could do it automatically that'd be great. It's not a big deal, but I figured I'd check.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Always use dark mode

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Bloop posted:

Always use dark mode

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So yesterday I had a moment. My department rented out a theater to see Star Wars, and I was reading a thread when I glanced at my coworker during next to me who was showing me an alert text thanks to someone deploying broken code the Friday before Christmas. He closed the app and lo and behold: his home screen had a very familiar looking frog on it. Glad to know there's another goon I work with. :peanut:

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 22, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

coming soon: chat with goons in your area

Soysaucebeast posted:

Is there any way that I can sync the Awful app's theme to when my phone has dark mode on? I'm on Android 10, and just recently started using the dark mode in bed at night. My phone automatically had every other app swap over to their versions of dark mode when I turn it on, but the Awful App doesn't. I can manually change it in the settings menu in the app, but if I could do it automatically that'd be great. It's not a big deal, but I figured I'd check.

our themes are a bit involved so it's probably not doable, or it would be a bunch of work to try and make it happen anyway

the way it normally works is you have a special day/night theme with stylings for either mode, so the app can automatically transition from using one set to the other, and you don't need to do anything. But we have a bunch of selectable themes that would all need redoing, the thread view is themed separately so it wouldn't transition automatically and would need its own logic watching the system for mode changes, it would look real janky, that kind of thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

coming soon: chat with goons in your area

Honestly some sort of goon streetpass would be incredible.

Oh I got an alert! I passed some goon today irl and their streetpass tag is..... Dickbutt. Lol!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

2 questions, assuming this is the correct thread for it:

1) Can the Add File Attachment feature be updated to allow pics bigger than 1280x1024? Many phones are 1080x1920,
and
2) Can a "thumbnail this attached pic" feature be added? Equivalent of timg tags, basically.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nth Doctor posted:

So yesterday I had a moment. My department rented out a theater to see Star Wars, and I was reading a thread when I glanced at my coworker during next to me who was showing me an alert text thanks to someone deploying broken code the Friday before Christmas. He closed the app and lo and behold: his home screen had a very familiar looking frog on it. Glad to know there's another goon I work with. :peanut:

That's the main reason I changed the default icon, I don't want to be spotted by any of you fuckers IRL

(It's actually because I'm worried that someone will mistake the :frogout: frog for Pepe)

I once told a former coworker that I was a goon and then she revealed that she was a ResetEra mod and there was some awkward slience

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 22, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

2 questions, assuming this is the correct thread for it:

1) Can the Add File Attachment feature be updated to allow pics bigger than 1280x1024? Many phones are 1080x1920,
and
2) Can a "thumbnail this attached pic" feature be added? Equivalent of timg tags, basically.

Those are features of the SA forums itself. You can suggest it in the technical thread. I bet the resolution limit could be upped, but the volunteer coder is pretty busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just use the Insert Imgur feature

It does both things and it's already right there