Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

so im curious elon musk on rick and morty sounds really bad but how bad is it compared to elon musk on the simpsons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8N1SCreyM

His spot on Rick and Morty was fairly innocuous actually. He played a character named Elon Tusk who was a chiller version of Elon Musk, he just had some tusks. Rick makes fun of Elon Musk for being controlling and irritating and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

MonsieurChoc posted:

So the only Gundam series you saw outside of IBO was Unicorn?

:confused:

Granted I haven’t seen the Zetas, but the only wins attributable to newtypes are stopping Axis and the laser in Unicorn.

A lot of UC stuff is war is a pointless meat grinder but not much about changing the systems that cause it, though Origin does show the Zabis taking advantage of a revolution and the first Thunderbolt has some class politics and how the war is benefiting certain classes.

GGundam: The situation on Earth is a disaster but the solution presented seems to be “the system is fine, we just need the right people in charge.”

Wing: What the hell is even going on? Solution is magic: everyone gave up their weapons forever.

SEED: I guess everyone just stopped being racist? I don’t really remember much from SEED.

00: Solution is to magically make peace with space aliens.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I wouldn't exactly blame the Japanese for focusing on the futility of war without having a revolutionary outlook.

Ryosuke Takahashi on the other hand, the guy who created Armored Trooper Votoms - his previous mecha show Fang of the Sun Dougram was just what if Che Guevara had a mech

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which one of the three sets of classic Star Wars films do you guys think are the best

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ewok Adventures

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Which one of the three sets of classic Star Wars films do you guys think are the best

The good one

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What if the bad one was the good one though

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ewok adventures had orcs innit and that was kinda cool

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also in IBO turns out the fix for the system is japanese Nationalism.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ewok Adventures

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
gdi the new Watchmen is not good

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I saw the first episode and I liked the part where the cop couldn't shoot the guy doing a racism because of 'all these drat regulations against police using their weapons'.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Blockade posted:

I saw the first episode and I liked the part where the cop couldn't shoot the guy doing a racism because of 'all these drat regulations against police using their weapons'.

its an odd mix of fascism in that the cops get to wear masks and liberalism in that they think that just requiring more levels of authorization and micromanagement will prevent police violence. and in the end, its still a black guy falling victim to systemic racism

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

youre making it sound like in the new watchmen show superheroes came back into fashion because theres too much gun control

hm hey since im not gonna watch it im just wondering are the right wing rohrsach cultists actually the villains behind the idiotic power swapping plot or are they tragically correct figures like rohrsach himself who arent taken seriously about this one conspiracy because everyone thinks theyre nutters about all the other ones

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

youre making it sound like in the new watchmen show superheroes came back into fashion because theres too much gun control

hm hey since im not gonna watch it im just wondering are the right wing rohrsach cultists actually the villains behind the idiotic power swapping plot or are they tragically correct figures like rohrsach himself who arent taken seriously about this one conspiracy because everyone thinks theyre nutters about all the other ones

superheroes didn't come back into fashion, there's an entire fbi division set up to arrest them when they show up. the cops are allowed to wear masks and take code names because they were attacked by the kkk (?? ? ???)

the kkk guys are wrong, just like rorschach was wrong. and yeah unless there's another twist the white supremacists are the bad guys. but lol the show is messy as gently caress and the pacing is done about as incompetently as you could

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

imo the underwritten reading of Watchmen is that Rorschach was right because the Watchmen suppose that Veidt was right about the necessity of sacrificing a few million New Yorkers to prevent nuclear war, but nuclear war didn't ultimately happen in real life. The Doomsday Clock only measures anxiety and tensions, it never was actually predicting whether or not a nuclear war was right around the corner - and the times when nuclear war could've actually been imminent were accidents that couldn't have been anticipated by the atomic scientists. Regardless of whatever Moore's authorial intent was, the march of history proves that Veidt and Doc Manhattan's assumptions were ultimately nothing more than pessimism dressed up in certainty.

Anyway I'm just posting this because the "Veidt was right" takes piss me off.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

there was a chance they could pull it off with watchmen but they completely dropped the ball after this last ep lmao lindelof is such a loving moron and i will never let people saying that something called 'the leftovers' was good trick me ever again

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like we might as well wait one more week and see where it was going before doing the autopsy

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's not like there's a whole narrative running parallel to the one of Watchmen where a dude gets really afraid of something terrible happening to the people he loves, goes on an escalating series of unspeakable acts, only to realize the terrible thing he was so afraid of didn't happen, and in fact he was just a crazed paranoid murderer

Serf
May 5, 2011

it was the 80s, i dunno how aware people were of the many near-misses we had when it comes to the nuclear apocalypse. i don't think most of it became widely known until after the end of the cold war, so i think moore can be forgiven

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the only correct people in the watchmen comic are newsstand guy, comic reading teen, uhh the therapist, and the lesbian couple

Serf
May 5, 2011

also i thought the show's last episode was last week and i'm pissed that i was wrong

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imo the underwritten reading of Watchmen is that Rorschach was right because the Watchmen suppose that Veidt was right about the necessity of sacrificing a few million New Yorkers to prevent nuclear war, but nuclear war didn't ultimately happen in real life. The Doomsday Clock only measures anxiety and tensions, it never was actually predicting whether or not a nuclear war was right around the corner - and the times when nuclear war could've actually been imminent were accidents that couldn't have been anticipated by the atomic scientists. Regardless of whatever Moore's authorial intent was, the march of history proves that Veidt and Doc Manhattan's assumptions were ultimately nothing more than pessimism dressed up in certainty.

I think he's 100% saying that about Veidt especially since many of his other works touch on stuff similar to "pessimism dressed up in certainty". I don't really think he's saying Rorschach was right though, just implying that sort of suicidal right-wing resolve is something that an egotistical humanist like Veidt would underestimate.

I think for Doc Manhattan he wanted to show him honestly doing a turn away from any sort of humanism and sort of vindictively "giving them what they want" before leaving forever. I don't know or care if the dumb non canon TV show or DC ripoff works change that.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

ElNarez posted:

it's not like there's a whole narrative running parallel to the one of Watchmen where a dude gets really afraid of something terrible happening to the people he loves, goes on an escalating series of unspeakable acts, only to realize the terrible thing he was so afraid of didn't happen, and in fact he was just a crazed paranoid murderer

Something that reinforces this interpretation is that "Ozymandias" is also the title of a famous poem regarding the ultimate futility of all empire builders and how even the grandest schemes are eventually buried beneath the sands of history.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Helsing posted:

Something that reinforces this interpretation is that "Ozymandias" is also the title of a famous poem regarding the ultimate futility of all empire builders and how even the grandest schemes are eventually buried beneath the sands of history.

Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

should probably clarify that i meant rohrsach was right in the literal sense not the metaphorical sense although i also agree that he was right in the metaphorical sense

i think we can all agree that one of the more obvious points of watchmen was to examine how superheroes would function in a semirealistic political context and it sounds like they missed the point of that pretty bad if the climax is treating doctor manhattens powers as a swappable video game skill and not the result of a random freak accident that cant be reproduced

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I reread watchmen last week and it was still very good. I agree with Alan that it's sad and worrying that everybody keeps sucking the superhero teat.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

should probably clarify that i meant rohrsach was right in the literal sense not the metaphorical sense although i also agree that he was right in the metaphorical sense

i think we can all agree that one of the more obvious points of watchmen was to examine how superheroes would function in a semirealistic political context and it sounds like they missed the point of that pretty bad if the climax is treating doctor manhattens powers as a swappable video game skill and not the result of a random freak accident that cant be reproduced

i reread the comic the other day and I realised that the hbo series has nothing resembling the cold war/newstand guy sideplot so theres nothing to connect the main plot to. theres no building sense of dread. aside from the extended flashback episodes everything is about the extremely vague central mystery thats only mysterious because the writers don't tell you details like the names of characters

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

there's no evidence that what they're doing will work, so we'll see. doc manhattan implies that he could make someone else be like him, but that's not really the same thing. after all, the whole point of doc manhattan is that he is actually the subject of a horror story about realizing that you have no free will

rorschach is right politically and wrong literally

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ElNarez posted:

A lot of people just flat out didn't read The Black Freighter

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There was a joke going around that the old Robocop was a better Dredd than old Dredd and the new Dredd is a better Robocop than new Robocop; and thats basically Watchmen and The Boys

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

how can he be wrong literally are you saying that veidt didnt actually have an evil plan to end to the cold war by murdering a fuckton of people and rorscach just made all that up

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has the Boys alienated all the normies it brought in with the relentless lurid sexual assault and weepy backstory, or did they smooth all that stuff out enough for TV.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

When people say "Rorschach was right" it's only specifically about people should know the truth about New York and not that he's right in general. It's easy to tell when somebody sympathizes with Rorschach's worldview.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the Boys was a hit they should adapt Crossed please

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Has the Boys alienated all the normies it brought in with the relentless lurid sexual assault and weepy backstory, or did they smooth all that stuff out enough for TV.

its apparently been cleaned up a bit but i still find it edgy in a charmingly mid 2000s way

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

SA poster Serf: one day a real rain is going to come and wash away all the trash from the streets

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

its apparently been cleaned up a bit but i still find it edgy in a charmingly mid 2000s way

If you aren't watching some Street Trash style insanely nasty poo poo then they have cleaned it up for sure

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If the Boys was a hit they should adapt Crossed please

Ok but only the webcomic, or the 6 issues of 100 that Moore wrote himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you aren't watching some Street Trash style insanely nasty poo poo then they have cleaned it up for sure

yeah there's one or two bits that are a little over the top but it manages to sand it down enough that it works