Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

Makes sense. I've only ever played Elite and NMS in VR really and in those it's pretty simple. I look at things and there they are and I don't think about it beyond that.

Its definitely very subtle. But we've already got the broad strokes of VR working well, so its fixing the subtle things that takes us from 90% to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Put another way, stereoscopy (which is what current VR headsets do) fulfills the requirement that light coming from things should be in different positions relative to the light coming from other things depending on where you're observing from (perspective). What it doesn't fulfill, is that the light coming from things should be spread in different directions based upon its position relative to your perspective, which is what focus and lenses deal with. In a VR display, all the light is coming to you from roughly the same spread, so the optical and neural mechanisms of your vision system that handle focusing and sharpening see it as being all the same distance, which decouples them from the vergence mechanisms that steer your eyes together. This drives your brain bonkers, because normally such a mismatch would mean either something is wrong with your eyes or your interpretation of the scene.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Black August posted:

Imagine Steel Battalion, but the massive expensive controller is just there virtually for you.

If a good developer makes a VR Mechwarrior I don’t think I’d play anything else ever

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

If a good developer makes a VR Mechwarrior I don’t think I’d play anything else ever

Zone of the Enders VR is pretty dang good. I would prefer a more tank-y slow paced mechwarrior though.

100ft robot golf VR is pretty solid too, but I think the VR is PSVR exclusive? Lame.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok a much much more real idea with VR is the idea of it used for teaching. Ignore all else while it's a toy, what about VR Youtube? Do it yourself videos with very easily repeatable and instructive as-if live teachers? Kids growing up with entire small virtual teaching worlds with the goggles? Imagine social media where you stream yourself for a 'live' audience whenever wherever.

Christ.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black August posted:

Ok a much much more real idea with VR is the idea of it used for teaching. Ignore all else while it's a toy, what about VR Youtube? Do it yourself videos with very easily repeatable and instructive as-if live teachers? Kids growing up with entire small virtual teaching worlds with the goggles? Imagine social media where you stream yourself for a 'live' audience whenever wherever.

Christ.

NASA already uses HoloLens to train astronauts on new work jobs.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

NASA already uses HoloLens to train astronauts on new work jobs.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Joey, what do you want to be when you grow up? An astronaut! Ok Joey. Here's a free year starter tape VR for your age to see if that's really something you want. There's a 10 years series if you're interested.

Metal Gear Solid 2 continues to be a prophecy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It’s not the same of course but this is one of the biggest reasons I love Elite Dangerous in VR. It’s got the great sense of scale and you feel like you really own the ship you’re sitting in, and you can customize every ship to the gills just like MechWarrior, and every ships handles differently and sounds different. I’m hoping MechWarrior 5 is the next generation MechWarrior 2 and will eventually support VR.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sense of scale is what I feel will really get people hooked. The only thing missing then is the sense of motion and mass, which might become a thing in the future. A lot of this really depends on no immediate hard economic shakeup, but that's exhausting to talk about when I can start to really try to anticipate the use of game-started widespread VR use. Imagine inphone VR linkup with a slim eye visor, or pair of glasses/goggles, in common use, and what games might end up like.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A really thorough breakdown of the stuff in the Alyx trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNL_-kK-ADQ

I missed quite a bit, turns out

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Black August posted:

Sense of scale is what I feel will really get people hooked. The only thing missing then is the sense of motion and mass, which might become a thing in the future. A lot of this really depends on no immediate hard economic shakeup, but that's exhausting to talk about when I can start to really try to anticipate the use of game-started widespread VR use. Imagine inphone VR linkup with a slim eye visor, or pair of glasses/goggles, in common use, and what games might end up like.

Sense of scale is what VR does really well. Even Skyrim VR (which is a fairly bad port) gets kind of wild when you fight a dragon that's actually much larger than you are.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pylons posted:

Sense of scale is what VR does really well. Even Skyrim VR (which is a fairly bad port) gets kind of wild when you fight a dragon that's actually much larger than you are.

Imagine VR movies and shows.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Black August posted:

Christ.
An entire industry offering VR training in different professional fields already exists, there's competition among software packages. Check out https://www.simlab-soft.com/technologies/simlab-vr-training.aspx for example.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kin posted:

I dunno if it's been solved yet but understanding whatever it is that stops you getting motion sickness when playing a FPS on a screen vs getting motion sick on VR will be a big game changer.

Is it peripheral vision? Like with a monitor, because you can see the static elements of a room you don't get sick as much when your body knows or isn't moving either?

I was playing ZoE 2 on PSVR and don't remember getting motion sick in that compared to Skyrim, but one of the main differences I could think of was that in ZoE I was in a cockpit with fixed objects in view.

I started VR a few days ago, and when I tried a game with stick movement for the first time, it felt... let's say my brain understood it as the ENTIRE WORLD moving towards me. Which is totally different from when I play FPS in a screen (I've never had problems with FPS, not even as a kid in the early 90s), where my brain understands it just a game. I guess it's about how much it fills out your field of vision, while also reducing your peripheral vision.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pylons posted:

Weirdly, the most “holy poo poo this thing/world/whatever is huge” experience I’ve had was in Minecraft VR. It does a sense of scale really well and the amount of sheer cliffs and steep hills gives you that feeling frequently.

Ultrawings is also good for this.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Scale is weirdly hard to get right in VR - in Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin most of the game takes place in a massive depression on the ocean floor, but it just looks so small and diorama-like.

Scale in VR always works best when you have traversed the scale yourself, because your brain innately understands the dimensions involved. Playing Climbey and ascending a massive level, your palms and the bottom of your feet start to tingle like you're really dealing with heights IRL. It's very cool.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Baronjutter posted:

Some sort of force-feedback glove system would really be needed for any sort of virtual in-game control scheme to sort of help replicate a sense of touch.
You mean like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEJWSPfFXmw

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Black August posted:

Christ.

This has already been done to some extent. I saw Reggie watts do a live show in VR where they tracked all his limbs as well.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://youtu.be/JUSaxh3OjNk

It's Meatmas time!!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lmao at the garbage bin of F2000s as firewood.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 27, 2019

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Yay! My favorite pistol came from last years.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I just opened Steam and I apparently already own Half Life Alyx? How did that happen?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Evil Robot posted:

I just opened Steam and I apparently already own Half Life Alyx? How did that happen?

You bought and index or index controllers

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Claes Oldenburger posted:

This has already been done to some extent. I saw Reggie watts do a live show in VR where they tracked all his limbs as well.

Yeah. I'm trying to look ahead of the momentum now being gained towards that with those starter steps, 10-20 years down the line when they're household ubiquitous and in every part of life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rage-saq posted:

You bought and index or index controllers

Or you own a Mac and bought a steam controller

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I did neither of those things. I bought an Oculus Quest recently and a Steam Link / Steam controller a long time ago (but not for Mac).

EDIT: Oh I do own a Mac and installed Steam once. Go me?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I had no idea that not only was this project was still in development all this time- they're actually finishing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, looks like Black Mesa is finally done now that the final Xen update is out. They heavily redesigned that section - still has a bunch of platforming but the environment has far more solid ground and better signposting.

The parts set on Earth just use the same level layouts as before, including faithfully recreating the entire Residue Processing chapter.

This "mod" started in 2005... :monocle:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's waaaay more mindblowing to see Black Mesa finally finished than it is to see a new Half-Life game on the way. That mod was dead in the water for years and the number of people involved over the entirety of its development might just add up to a large game studio. The fact that it turned out as professional as it did is astounding in its own right.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Gonarch insufficiently nutty/sackish.

0/10 no sale

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Of course just when I get to xen in my OG HL:S playthrough this comes out.

I’m not sure I can replay the whole thing this soon

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Boneworks launched yesterday, it's basically janky indie HLVR. I've only played through the tutorial section, but it was already pretty neat.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
theres basically zero percent chance this will be better than boneworks

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think they're going for different things. I've only played the tutorial section so far, but Boneworks is clearly leaning very very hard on physics/interacticity, jumping into it feels a lot like the experience jumping into HL2 back in the day where it's fascinating just how everything works in the game world. But, it doesn't feel terribly polished, HLA looks a lot better for that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I had no idea that not only was this project was still in development all this time- they're actually finishing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY

If you ain't played Black Mesa, now's the time. This poo poo is dope and absolutely deserves its retail status.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Motherfucker posted:

Half-Life Alyx is actually based off a build of Boneworks - they asked Valve if they could turn Boneworks into a Half-Life game, but Valve told them not to, so people wouldn't confuse Boneworks with HLVR

The reason you can interact with props, crouch, and move without teleporting in Alyx is all thanks to Boneworks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motherfucker posted:

Lol. The wrongest opinion. They are different games for starters

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Graphics and story, I think Alyx wins, but mechanically, it goes to Boneworks, if only for the variety of ways you can end enemies

Although if Alyx lets you punt headcrabs, then I'll be happy to reconsider

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since we haven't played Alyx yet, isn't it too soon to say it has anything over any game, or vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

chaosapiant posted:

If you ain't played Black Mesa, now's the time. This poo poo is dope and absolutely deserves its retail status.

Is it a redone version of half life?