Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumour-valve-are-about-to-announce-a-vr-game-called-half-life-alyx/

:negative:

edit: wait it actually looks good.

https://half-life.com/en/alyx

https://store.steampowered.com/app/546560/HalfLife_Alyx/

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Good thing I bought all those artifact cards

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
After 8 years of hearing people bitch that we didn't release any new games for them to play, we've decided to release a new game... that no one can play.

It'll probably still be fun in 10 years when there's VR hardware that might be worth buying.

Also since it's a Valve game, we've included mod support and Steam Workshop, so 30 seconds after release you can download 27 different "Grope Alyx's nude boobs real physics" mods.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

quote:

Responding to the question of whether this game would be available for players without VR headsets, "I mean we would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but like as we said, it began as an exploration of VR," an unnamed person replies.
As for how this entirely hypothetical game would play, the only clue is this statement: "You can see their whole body-- Respond to the situation. You know, panicking, dropping clips on the ground as they fumble their weapons 'cause a zombie's in front of them, all these things, they're just - it's been really fun watching playtests."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sorta feels like someones "genius" marketing gimmick as a build up to announce Half Life 3 knowing that everyone is gonna hate this (similar to the Diablo Immortal reveal) and then they drop the real announcement later.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Cue the army of chuds including the founder of Oculus complaining about having a woman's body in their VR game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is funny. Not only is it not Half Life 3, but it's also a VR game.

Good.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Can I look down at my boobies like in that Jurassic Park game?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As the proud owner of a VR headset I'm very excited to lock myself in the riftzone and shut out all the people poo-poo'ing VR while playing this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Is VR any good? The only friend who I have that owns it is also into WoW Classic and only plays as edgy Asian women in games that let you make a character, so, in other words I don't value his opinion.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Is VR any good? The only friend who I have that owns it is also into WoW Classic and only plays as edgy Asian women in games that let you make a character, so, in other words I don't value his opinion.

Yeah it's rad. There's an incredible amount of games and experiences availiable if you have a PCVR headset. The best bang for your buck right now is the Rift S, which doesn't require external lighthouses. Boneworks which until they announced this, was the closest thing to a new Half-Life, is coming out next month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=352Hmh0b3Ps

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

itshappening.gif

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's interesting. It's definitely a cool experience but it's also fairly expensive (and requires a decent amount of space for some things). The library isn't really there yet and ease of use is a big problem imo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thousands of new and dynamic ways to interact with Gordon Freeman and modify his mood

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's interesting. It's definitely a cool experience but it's also fairly expensive (and requires a decent amount of space for some things). The library isn't really there yet and ease of use is a big problem imo.

It's basically home computer gaming all over again. I'm giving VR time, I think it'll be the way we do things and big exclusive titles are a good indicator things are moving along

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

drat cant wait for the return of Alyx nude mods but this time in VR!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hate that I might end up getting VR if this is a full sized title and can't be played without it.

This and Beat Sabre... A mere £500.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

It's basically home computer gaming all over again. I'm giving VR time, I think it'll be the way we do things and big exclusive titles are a good indicator things are moving along

I think better form factors need to be a thing before it'll really take off in that way. Basically, if you ask me on any given day whether I'd rather pick up a controller and play something on my TV or my computer, or strap a dumb headset over my face and stand in place to play something for a couple hours, I'm probably gonna take option 1 nine times out of ten.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's good

https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

You can get an Oculus Quest for $400 https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-All-Gaming-System-PC/dp/B07HNW68ZC?th=1 that you can play a lot of stuff with and it's completely standalone. They also released (in beta as of today) the ability to hook it up to the PC so you can do all the PCVR stuff, and it's compatible with SteamVR which the new Half Life is gonna be running on

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Valve sucks at making games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People have been asking for a new Half Life game for 12 years and so Valve shits out a spin-off prequel that no one asked for that requires hardware that most people don’t own.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

For real not shitposting take from me:

I don't give a poo poo about Half-Life, the whole franchise is a "meme" at this point. Probably going to try to use that in it's favor for marketing somehow. Missed the who gives a poo poo window by quite a lot.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm really shocked that this is the same company that made the portal series and team fortress 2 because gently caress me they seem to have completely lost their grip on making games. It's really really going to take alot out of me to give a poo poo about half life especially after they Blue-Balled us for 12 loving years.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I might actually take the vive out and play an actual game on it. Finally.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I look forward to seeing all the terminally negative goons go from "Valve never makes games" to "It will flop" to "It's not the kind of game I like" to "I'm looking at used Index prices :saddowns:"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Det_no posted:

I look forward to seeing all the terminally negative goons go from "Valve never makes games" to "It will flop" to "It's not the kind of game I like" to "I'm looking at used Index prices :saddowns:"
is this what happened with artifact?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Lemming posted:

It's good

https://i.imgur.com/EDoM1H1.mp4

You can get an Oculus Quest for $400 https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Quest-All-Gaming-System-PC/dp/B07HNW68ZC?th=1 that you can play a lot of stuff with and it's completely standalone. They also released (in beta as of today) the ability to hook it up to the PC so you can do all the PCVR stuff, and it's compatible with SteamVR which the new Half Life is gonna be running on

Counterpoint this clip makes me want to violently vomit everywhere and I'm not even experiencing it through a lovely headset.

VR blows and I want it to go away.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If VR is here to stay then I’d say it’s in the Atari stage of life compared to like 8 bit and everything that comes after.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

siggy2021 posted:

Counterpoint this clip makes me want to violently vomit everywhere and I'm not even experiencing it through a lovely headset.

VR blows and I want it to go away.

Games have figured out a lot about what does and doesn't make you nauseous; the way you fly around here is by extending your arms, which helps to ground you with the movement. Later in the clip, when I grab a surface and throw myself off, that's similarly grounded. Overall it doesn't really give you much motion sickness, less than just moving around with the joystick. I'm relatively resistant to motion sickness, but I still get it fairly easily in certain games that are considered more intense (Sairento for instance I can only physically handle about 20-30 minutes before I start needing to lie down)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

No Wave posted:

is this what happened with artifact?

You should read the beginning of that thread and find out.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Lemming posted:

Games have figured out a lot about what does and doesn't make you nauseous; the way you fly around here is by extending your arms, which helps to ground you with the movement. Later in the clip, when I grab a surface and throw myself off, that's similarly grounded. Overall it doesn't really give you much motion sickness, less than just moving around with the joystick. I'm relatively resistant to motion sickness, but I still get it fairly easily in certain games that are considered more intense (Sairento for instance I can only physically handle about 20-30 minutes before I start needing to lie down)

Overall it doesn't give YOU much motion sickness. Don't pin that poo poo on everyone.

I can't play some FPS games that don't let me increase the FoV enough. I can't go on those stupid fake roller coasters where it's just an immersive thing moving around and a screen, I can't play VR games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My serious thoughts on this new game: I genuinely hope it's a full-fledged big game that works well in VR, instead of the usual VR games that are like... small, party-type games or simulators or arcade-y things.

Unfortunately what I know about Valve's management style tells me that it will probably be a half-cooked weirdo thing that won't go very far, so my expectations are not that high. Oh well. However it goes, I will not be buying a VR set because they make me sick to my stomach.

Writing-wise I hope this game ties up some plot threads and such from Half-Life, as while I still haven't played any of the franchise outside of Garry's Mod, I'm given to understand that it ended on a pretty big cliffhanger.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I mean it's hard to do worse than Artifact. It's averaging 100 concurrent players over last few months.

Judging by that track record, this game will just be a way to cooperatively navigate the Steam Store in VR while having a skin of one of the Half Life characters.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 19, 2019

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

stev posted:

I hate that I might end up getting VR if this is a full sized title and can't be played without it.

This and Beat Sabre... A mere £500.

honestly even if halyx life wasnt announced VR is worth investing into for beat saber alone

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

siggy2021 posted:

Overall it doesn't give YOU much motion sickness. Don't pin that poo poo on everyone.

I can't play some FPS games that don't let me increase the FoV enough. I can't go on those stupid fake roller coasters where it's just an immersive thing moving around and a screen, I can't play VR games.

There are plenty of VR games that either have more comfort options or don't require any movement at all, or stick with teleport locomotion. Sort of like how some people can't play some FPS's at all, or like you need those options for a wider FoV in order to make it comfortable enough for you to play. My point was that I already know there are some games that are going to be off limits to people for comfort reasons, like some are for me, but I'm not, like, hoping that they fail or saying they shouldn't exist.

Beat Saber is a great example of a game that has no locomotion at all and doesn't make people motion sick. Same with stuff like Job Simulator, Space Pirate Trainer, Super Hot, etc.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Just to add to the definitely short list of good VR games: I Expect you to Die

It's a totally static secret agent themed puzzle game, and easily the best one I've played in VR.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Pavlov is awesome, No Man Sky VR runs well enough for me where it's also great, and I've put tons of time into Beat Sabre. This will be fun but of course it's not what people want since marketshare of VR is super low

Super Hot is incredible, I Expect You To Die is good but was super short when I played it, think there's more levels now

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The marketshare is Beat Sabre until someone else makes something good

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
If you think this is a full game rather than a way for Valve to play around with tech they like... Wooo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

oh yea nausea is real for a lot of people and over time I just sorta got lucky and don't feel motion sick with it anymore which only shows how fuckin' far the tech has to go for mainstream appeal

luckily I can enjoy running around at breakneck speeds and shooting people in the skull in Pavlov without puking everywhere but that applies to like nobody else