Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i have a sourdough starter and oh my god it's so easy to make bread now

:) It owns to make bread anytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

looks like it takes 36 hours total to make a loaf, lots of rising time

if i let it proof enough it smells so weird and amazing

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Sourdough bread is a good weekend project.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I use dry yeast and it takes two hours to make bread for like 2 weeks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sorry good sourdough beats the poo poo out of commercial yeast

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Sourdough is definitely awesome (I grew up in Alaska where it's served basically everywhere), but it does take longer IME than just throwing yeast on some flour, or even doing a slow rise no knead recipe like the NYT bread recipe that's foolproof.

Definitely prefer the flavor though.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

sorry good sourdough beats the poo poo out of commercial yeast

True but it is quite a time investment

Baking your own bread owns tho, any way you do it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/butternut-squash-soup-recipe1-1957751

I like this soup recipe because a lot of stores sell cubed butternut and if you buy that (I didn't) and have a stick blender (I do) then it literally takes like 3 minutes worth of work to make. Would probably be better if you roasted the squash though.

bird with big dick has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Dec 4, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ok, I have no idea how to cook and prepare chicken breast, it always comes out dry and gross. CSPAM, help?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

dry brine, meat thermometer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ok, I have no idea how to cook and prepare chicken breast, it always comes out dry and gross. CSPAM, help?

i make a balsamic vinaigrette that they sit in overnight, then the next day blacken them on coals. they come out pretty great on the inside

this time i diced them and put them in an alfredo that i made with a pretty stinky romano. it owns

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

marinate them in kimchi juice

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/easy-pan-roasted-chicken-breast-lemon-rosemary-pan-sauce-recipe.html

however if that's a bit too much work one easy technique to cook a chicken breast is to butterfly it first and then put into a ziplock and pound it a bit until it's even thickness. use a meat mallet or another pan to pound it down a bit. it will ensure that you get even cooking all the way through and no overdone areas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

alright four loaves in on this sourdough over the last couple weeks and they smell exactly like cheap takeout hot and sour soup. what's up with that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

Whenever I grill chicken beast I always cut it into two pieces along the length of the breast so they are thinner and cook through more quickly. Also getting a reliable (read: digital) meat thermometer was a revelation, I have an Oxo one that couldn't have been more than $15 and I use it every time I grill something stove top.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just pan sear it. out some oil on it, preheat the pan, make sure to cover it while it cooks. Stays nice and juicy so long as you don't over cook it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

alright four loaves in on this sourdough over the last couple weeks and they smell exactly like cheap takeout hot and sour soup. what's up with that

pretty common to add vinegar to H&S soup so that might be what you're smelling

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe, iunno. the smell is, like, dead-on

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

C-Euro posted:

every time I grill something stove top.

wtf

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

More accurate to say that I put meat in a pan and cover it while it cooks, does that have an actual name?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sautee

or if you do it at a high temp, sear

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/aOvBT0U.jpg:nws: for butt stuff

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

lmbo (learning my butt’s options)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

SHVPS4DETH posted:

lmbo (learning my butt’s options)

OOH LA LA!

I made bacon jam today

coathat
May 21, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Buy thighs instead

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Here is the brine recipe I like to use for chicken. This makes 2 quarts of brine and is intended for a whole chicken or enough cut chicken to feed a family. If you're making less chicken cut the recipe down accordingly.

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 T coarse ground pepper
6 cloves of garlic, crushed. You can leave the skins on.
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 bay leaf, crushed
5 whole fresh parsley sprigs, chopped
1 ts dried oregano
1 ts dried thyme
1 ts dried rosemary

In a 4 quart bowl or pot fill with water, salt, and pepper. Stir the salt until it's completely dissolved in the water. add the onion and the garlic, mix up the chopped fresh and dried herbs add to the brine. Add chicken to the brine and refrigerate for the times listed below. Try not to go over these times or your chicken will turn out saltier than you want to eat.

boneless chicken breasts: 30 minutes
bone-in chicken parts: 40 minutes
whole chicken: 60 minutes.

Make sure when you remove the chicken from the brine you rinse the meat thoroughly. If you plan to grill boneless chicken breasts after brining, try flattening the breasts so they cook more evenly. Cuts down on grilling time too.

That should help out with your dry chicken.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here is the brine recipe I like to use for chicken. This makes 2 quarts of brine and is intended for a whole chicken or enough cut chicken to feed a family. If you're making less chicken cut the recipe down accordingly.

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 T coarse ground pepper
6 cloves of garlic, crushed. You can leave the skins on.
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 bay leaf, crushed
5 whole fresh parsley sprigs, chopped
1 ts dried oregano
1 ts dried thyme
1 ts dried rosemary

In a 4 quart bowl or pot fill with water, salt, and pepper. Stir the salt until it's completely dissolved in the water. add the onion and the garlic, mix up the chopped fresh and dried herbs add to the brine. Add chicken to the brine and refrigerate for the times listed below. Try not to go over these times or your chicken will turn out saltier than you want to eat.

boneless chicken breasts: 30 minutes
bone-in chicken parts: 40 minutes
whole chicken: 60 minutes.

Make sure when you remove the chicken from the brine you rinse the meat thoroughly. If you plan to grill boneless chicken breasts after brining, try flattening the breasts so they cook more evenly. Cuts down on grilling time too.

That should help out with your dry chicken.

:hf: single bay leaf buddy

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Has anyone cooked the genuine Cherokee Warren family recipes yet?

One from her husband, who also claimed to be Cherokee.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Besides being extremely Eurocentric in terms of cooking technique, I like how 98% of the ingredients are not native to North America, and even when they could have used cranberries insisted instead on using red currant jam. Red currants are not only not native to America, but were illegal to grow in many states during the 20th century, meaning that there are very few American producers and the red currant jam they used was likely imported from Europe

What book is this from? If this a book about Native American recipes, it shows a great ignorance of tradition, and if it's a random book of recipes then they decided to mention being Cherokee for no apparent reason

Edit: "imported mustard" lol

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Those are some weird rear end recipes. I might try one soon.

twoday
May 4, 2005

One of the ingredients in one of the Liz Warren recipes is an entire other dish explained in the other recipe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's from the most cringe inducing title of a cookbook

"pow wow chow: a collection of recipes of the five civilized tribes"

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

twoday posted:

Besides being extremely Eurocentric in terms of cooking technique, I like how 98% of the ingredients are not native to North America, and even when they could have used cranberries insisted instead on using red currant jam. Red currants are not only not native to America, but were illegal to grow in many states during the 20th century, meaning that there are very few American producers and the red currant jam they used was likely imported from Europe

What book is this from? If this a book about Native American recipes, it shows a great ignorance of tradition, and if it's a random book of recipes then they decided to mention being Cherokee for no apparent reason

Edit: "imported mustard" lol

https://elizabethwarrenwiki.org/pow-wow-chow-cookbook/

The Amazon reviews for the book are pretty racist too.

https://www.amazon.com/Pow-Wow-Chow-Collection-Civilized/product-reviews/9996688445

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

SardonicTyrant posted:

flatten the pieces with a meat hammer or whatever, or slice the breasts into thinner cutlets, then they cook in just a few minutes. also make sure you're using enough fat when you cook, whether it's in a skillet or under the broiler. you can always blot it off after cooking.

twoday
May 4, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

chop it and use it in a curry or stew

or if you want to cook it whole, besides flattening it you can also roast it in an oven pan with some sauce of mustard and wine/beer, with some aluminum foil over it to seal in the moisture

or cut it into strips and bread it and make chicken fingers, either fried or baked

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

The worst cooking challenge. Warren is from my hometown and Bernie turned out a bigger crowd there this September. In Oklahoma.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

type III challenge - buy a copy of this book somewhere and get warren to sign it.

:ok:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS has issued a correction as of 12:34 on Jan 17, 2020

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

use a goddamn meat thermometer and dry brine it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Cook with chicken thighs instead of breasts since they're much more forgiving and actually taste quite good even if you overcook them a little.