Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I will buy a Steam version of FSN and Hollow Ataraxia where it can sit untouched like my other games as God intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like y'all are kind of forgetting that the very beginning of FGO just kind of drops you headfirst into the setting and assumes you already have some familiarity with Fate (it does a really bad job of explaining all the basic universe concepts like how magic works, how Heroic Spirits work, etc, and seems more focused on the FGO-specific stuff for what little exposition you get)

i could see someone who's willing to roll with poo poo they don't quite get being OK, and in fact that's kind of what FGO pushes you towards since the Fuyuki singularity is very explicitly "oh poo poo, we have no time to teach you anything and you're the last one standing, go unfuck this," but that's not everybody and someone who's either seen the assorted animes or read the VN is gonna have a way easier time
the vast majority of people playing fgo had no familiarity with any fate stuff. that is supported in polls. and you imagine those polls mostly catch hardcore fans so the casual demo is probably even less familiar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For instance here's the results from the official survey FGO did last year:

quote:

Players were also asked what Fate-related work was their first, and they answered:

Fate/Grand Order: 2349
Fate/Zero (anime): 1691
Fate/stay night (anime): 1651
Fate/stay night (PC): 1108
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (TV anime): 870
Fate/stay night [Realta Nua]: 291
Fate/EXTRA: 188
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (movie movie): 179
Fate/Zero (novel): 117
Carnival Phantasm: 107

quote:

Reasons for why players started playing the game:

Because they are fans of the Fate series: 37.6%
Because it was recommended to them: 24.7%
Because it is popular: 13.7%
Because they were interested in the characters: 11.9%
Because of the commercials: 2.9%
Other reasons: 9.2%

Because they were fans wins the second one but you can take that as only a third of people having been fans prior to getting into FGO. And a lot of the people who answered Fate/Zero or the 2006 F/SN anime as the first entry in the series they saw just watched them because they were moderately popular anime airing at the time, and didn't think any more about them until they got into FGO.

Incidentally, another argument against this kind of logic is the CCC event and servants. CCC the game did not sell very well, yet

quote:

The five most popular events are:

SE.RA.PH: 1517 votes
Servant Summer Festival: 1165
Gudaguda Teito Seihai Kitan: 613
Kara no Kyoukai/the Garden of Order: 302
Merry Christmas in the Underworld: 280

It's the most popular event.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm glad BB is #1 as she deserves

People often overstate how much pre-knowledge you need to enjoy something, which is especially true for Fate. The only part of the main storyline where knowledge of FSN is especially relevant is in Singularity F and even then you don't need to know any of that, it's just nice details for fans like Heracles hanging out at the rubble of Einzbern castle.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also you're not any less of a fan if you were tired of visual novels and just read the LP/summary of the VN.

Totally not speaking as someone who burned out after UBW and didn't play HF.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Argas posted:

Also you're not any less of a fan if you were tired of visual novels and just read the LP/summary of the VN.

you loving piece of poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Argas posted:

But you miss out on the music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zJBSNM77rQ

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stairmaster posted:

you loving piece of poo poo

BB = Melt > Sakura

Honestly I want to play HA but I am just so sick of VNs and the slow pace at which I get through them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Darox posted:

it's just nice details for fans like Heracles hanging out at the rubble of Einzbern castle.

oi what the gently caress

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Darox posted:

I'm glad BB is #1 as she deserves

People often overstate how much pre-knowledge you need to enjoy something, which is especially true for Fate. The only part of the main storyline where knowledge of FSN is especially relevant is in Singularity F and even then you don't need to know any of that, it's just nice details for fans like Heracles hanging out at the rubble of Einzbern castle.
wow

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Argas posted:

idk if not finishing the FSN visual novel makes you "any less of a fan," but it does prevent you from engaging with the totality of that visual novel, whether you read a summary or not. you don't need to finish consuming media you aren't enjoying, but if you don't, it kinda limits your ability to talk about the media in question. to be clear, I'm not saying that it substantially impairs your perspective on any other Fate work (with a few obvious exceptions), just Fate/Stay Night itself

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 12, 2019

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

BB is the only bad Sakuraface don't @ me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Space Flower posted:

oi what the gently caress

illya is dead af

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Elephant Parade posted:

idk if not finishing the FSN visual novel makes you "any less of a fan," but it does prevent you from engaging with the totality of that visual novel, whether you read a summary or not. you don't need to finish consuming media you aren't enjoying, but if you don't, it kinda limits your ability to talk about the media in question. to be clear, I'm not saying that it substantially impairs your perspective on any other Fate work (with a few obvious exceptions), just Fate/Stay Night itself

Well yeah but I'm kind of shrug as gently caress because I cannot play VNs at a sane pace and I'll just endure whatever drawbacks that gives me when it comes to enjoying the Fate franchise.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darox posted:

Thanks to HA we know what part of town a lot of the fuyuki nodes are. I've seen a lot of speculation as to what caused the huge loving crater centered on Tohsaka's house.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it was ruby

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/fate15th/status/1205797118817923073

So apparently part of the FSN 15th Anniverswary expo includes a miniature version of Fuyuki.

...If the Einzbern castle is really up on a hill like that, wouldn't the entire town have seen the fireworks show when Alter starts poo poo in Heaven's Feel? It's Japan, you can probably write off Herc fighting or the odd explosive bit of archery from Gil and Archer as earthquakes, but earthquakes generally don't have giant plumes of purple light and explosions accompanying them

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The giant fuckoff western castle is hidden from public view by magic so I imagine the fight would be too.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

https://twitter.com/fate15th/status/1205797118817923073

So apparently part of the FSN 15th Anniverswary expo includes a miniature version of Fuyuki.

...If the Einzbern castle is really up on a hill like that, wouldn't the entire town have seen the fireworks show when Alter starts poo poo in Heaven's Feel? It's Japan, you can probably write off Herc fighting or the odd explosive bit of archery from Gil and Archer as earthquakes, but earthquakes generally don't have giant plumes of purple light and explosions accompanying them

I remind you that in Fate you have a full power Excalibur vs Ea clash in the city park near the bridge.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just imagining some random passerby seeing Ea and blurting out "I WANT THAT" like Abridged Shirou

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Just imagining some random passerby seeing Ea and blurting out "I WANT THAT" like Abridged Shirou

Part of me believes that the FGO localization team had EMIYA say that as a reference.

I want to believe.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Dunno if this would be interesting to some people but:

Some of us on the trad games forum are running a gigantic Fate Themed game of mafia (or werewolf to some!).The idea is that it follows Fate Apocrypha's grail war as its basic structure and you'll be doing battle as part of a team of 20 goons with another team of 20 goons in a race to see who can find their mafia element first and beat the other side in battle.

Rules are relatively long but in service of making this easy for new people to approach!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was going through the Fate openings yesterday and goddamn the series has some bangers but it's made me want to ask this:

What's worth watching or reading? I've watched Zero, UBW, Apocrypha and the cooking one full, and started Extra Last Encore but ultimately dropped it. I'm also going through the original VN although very, very slowly because goddamn is it long. I have full intentions of watching Heaven's Feel but I'm waiting for someone to watch them together.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think you've got them all.

Well, the currently airing FGO anime has some pretty good fight animation in the same style as Apocrypha if you liked that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think you've got them all.

Well, the currently airing FGO anime has some pretty good fight animation in the same style as Apocrypha if you liked that.

Yeah, Babylonia has roughly the same sort of entertainment value as Apocrypha. The story is so-so, but if you want epic clashes between gods and heroes, it's a good place to be.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Carnival Phantasm is worth watching

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

astr0man posted:

Carnival Phantasm is worth watching

Coincidentally, it also has the best OP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was going through the Fate openings yesterday and goddamn the series has some bangers but it's made me want to ask this:

What's worth watching or reading? I've watched Zero, UBW, Apocrypha and the cooking one full, and started Extra Last Encore but ultimately dropped it. I'm also going through the original VN although very, very slowly because goddamn is it long. I have full intentions of watching Heaven's Feel but I'm waiting for someone to watch them together.
Carnival Phantasm has some heavens feel spoilers but i dont think anything that wouldnt be in F/Z. Its ostensibly got Tsukihime jokes but its 90% FSN. The race episode is my favorite comedy episode of any anime, ever.

Babylonias got great fights and some decent gags though its kinda flubbing the story, and the first couple of episodes are pretty weak since they insisted on adapting a bunch of generic random encounters from an RPG.

FGO itself has a really weak start but its writing gets pretty consistently incredible, but you gotta play a gacha rpg.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

you can always just watch youtube videos, preferably ones that edit out the fights unless something special happens.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blaze Dragon posted:

i think pretty much all you have left out of the franchise is Lord El-Melloi II Case Files, Strange Fake, the Extra games, and FGO (and related).

Lord El-Melloi II loving owns, especially if you liked Waver in Zero because it's the Adult Waver show and he's really hot now.

I'm not super familiar with Strange Fake or the Extra games, and I don't know off the top of my head if Strange Fake is even translated at all (Extra CCC definitely isn't), so the original Extra might be all you have available out of that lot; people seem to like it pretty well, so maybe play it on a PSP emulator, I guess?

FGO, meanwhile, you're probably aware of on some level, and if you give it a shot you'll probably like it OK. The anime is fine, but it's not really an ideal way to experience it since they're jumping around wildly in the plot.

e: and Carnival Phantasm, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

strange fake's manga is scanlated though the scanlations vary wildly in quality. strange fake is cool but its update schedule is slow as molasses (in terms of the original work, not the translations) and there's a billion threads going on so the whole thing just feels kind of aimless.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Unrelated, but finding out that Melissa Fahn voices all the Medusas in the Aniplex Fate dubs makes me laugh my rear end off every time I think about it

Casting the person who voiced Gaz in Invader Zim to voice another grumpy, vaguely gothy purple-haired badass was an inspired call

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I haven't heard medusa, I'm going to now see how Ed from Cowboy Bebop sounds like an adult

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait would that mean Shinji is Dib :hmbol:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wish the babylonia anime was as good as apo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think you don't remember how much dead time Apoc is when Astolfo or Mordred isn't on screen

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think pretty much all you have left out of the franchise is Lord El-Melloi II Case Files, Strange Fake, the Extra games, and FGO (and related).

Oh, sorry, my bad. I did watch Lord El-Melloi II and loved it, and I'm reading the Strange Fake manga (whenever it comes out). The rest would be all-new territory for me, though I'd rather stay away from FGO, I really dislike gacha. On Extra, I've been tempted to get Extella/Extella Link but never did so, are they good?

dogsicle posted:

i wish the babylonia anime was as good as apo

That's depressing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's less depressing if you take into account that i 1) have never read the apo source material to compare and 2) am an apo apologist, but yeah gudao/mash have a similar effect as sieg/jeanne and it just kinda compounds with babylonia's smaller at-any-given-time cast and the issues of adapting something i already played firsthand

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The 2nd half of Apoc is so bad, while Babylon only gets better and more intense after the break

I think you're extremely colored by "I played this before, familiar is poo poo to me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, I feel like our two protagonists' concept of 'nice kids in way over their heads' works a little better than 'generic self-sacrificing hero' and 'literal emotionless meat-robot'. Ritsuka and Mash at least get to joke around, do silly things, and interact on a human level with the rest of the cast. They're also a lot more central to the plot, so they feel less like an annoying distraction from the good stuff.