Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

just do like 10 surprise trades during normal hours in Japan, in my experience, and you'll have at least 5 Dreepys at the end, all with good stats

Yeah, at this point I've been getting so many of them I just check to see if it's better than any of the other extra Dreepy I have and then send one back into the surprise trade queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/seeson/status/1204892099004358657

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Leal posted:

A trainer college taught by a overseas teacher named Earl from the Johto region?

Remember how there was an *entire mode* in Stadium 2 about him and his school? That was neat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Quick someone post that YOSPOS Razer copypasta.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GenericGirlName posted:

It's almost like you don't need the BP or anything other than meta..?

Ah gently caress I lost my edit but basically, this is the easiest gaining of BP in the history of the tower. I get that it sucks but you need it for even less previously and gain way more for no investment.

This isn't a plus for the SwSh Battle Tower, it's further condemnation of the previous Gen towers.

"It's only X hours of not-fun instead of X+Y hours" isn't a good selling point. If there was a way to get BP faster, be it double or nothing or harder fights or whatever, yeah sure I guess. Props to them for having less stuff gated by the BT but it's just one of the many things that needs a content patch and maybe we'll see it fleshed out in the third/ultra games or whatever in another year.

The third Pokemon for this gen should have you play as Bede or Marnie.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I like Throat Chop stopping you from using moves based on a pokemon's voice. I found that out in the gym battle against Piers and was pleasantly surprised. I think the little thematic details like that are neat, even if they are never going to be significant to the ~competitive scene~.

I like that they did this in the Sun & Moon anime. Golisopod Throat Chopped Primarina and absolutely destroyed her.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
nice

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Took 80 resets to get Eternatus with the right nature, got a fish-dragon with the right nature and ability on the third reset. Now the grind for TRs for it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Evil Fluffy posted:

This isn't a plus for the SwSh Battle Tower, it's further condemnation of the previous Gen towers.

"It's only X hours of not-fun instead of X+Y hours" isn't a good selling point. If there was a way to get BP faster, be it double or nothing or harder fights or whatever, yeah sure I guess. Props to them for having less stuff gated by the BT but it's just one of the many things that needs a content patch and maybe we'll see it fleshed out in the third/ultra games or whatever in another year.

The third Pokemon for this gen should have you play as Bede or Marnie.
Honestly it is a crime that they made mantine surfing a thing in USUM (ie: a fun minigame that can be done at any time at any skill level for BP) and then went "okay, that's it! back to the battle tower grinding you go!!" in this game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blaziken386 posted:

Honestly it is a crime that they made mantine surfing a thing in USUM (ie: a fun minigame that can be done at any time at any skill level for BP) and then went "okay, that's it! back to the battle tower grinding you go!!" in this game

this game feels a lot less ambitious and a big step back (both narratively and mechanically) from USUM

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Random stream of consciousness post re: Sw/Sh.

1. Kabu is the most Japanese middle-aged/old guy working out ever.
2. Leon still wearing his champion cape and shirt in the rematch arena is a dumb oversight, especially since he wears the ringleader uniform in BT.
3. I'm kind of mad they didn't do anything with the rock formations outside the grass gym.
4. They need to do a game where you aren't playing as a new, unnamed character. I don't care about self-insert crap. Give me something like Persona 2. It isn't like you still can't do dress up with the character models.
5. Raihan's clothing make it look like he has a beer gut, which is hilarious when you consider he's the most self-image obsessed gym leader.

Eddie Whitson posted:

I like that they did this in the Sun & Moon anime. Golisopod Throat Chopped Primarina and absolutely destroyed her.

Just looked this up. That was....pretty brutal. But loving lol was everyone super off model in that scene.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 12, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
sun and moon didn't give a poo poo about model fidelity and honestly? good. animation and especially anime are way too beholden to being 'on model' at the cost of actually looking good or doing interesting things with their characters. defeats the purpose of being animated imo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ungulateman posted:

sun and moon didn't give a poo poo about model fidelity and honestly? good. animation and especially anime are way too beholden to being 'on model' at the cost of actually looking good or doing interesting things with their characters. defeats the purpose of being animated imo

There's a huge difference in being off-model to illustrate action, provide a sense of power to a scene, or if it the artistic style (see Ping Pong or the Ushiwakamaru vs Gorgon fight in FGO); and being off-model because of sloppy production. I mean, the picture I posted was a panning still shot for christ sakes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
They all look on-model to me...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nanigans posted:

Yeah I don't see the horrible gently caress up here that made you stop and point it out.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mallow's left arm does look a little funky in that shot, but that's all I got. Maybe the OP just doesn't get how 3/4 profile works?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cattail Prophet posted:

Mallow's left arm does look a little funky in that shot, but that's all I got. Maybe the OP just doesn't get how 3/4 profile works?

I mean from the angle I'm guessing it was a left to right pan to follow the action lines so her arm being less detailed is probably fine since like, you'll be passing over her anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I mean they ARE anime after all

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just want to say I hate you guy who said they grinded out about one shiny a day. I'm on loving day 5 of shiny ralts hunting after I randomly got a shiny eevee and I've learned my loving lesson, I'm never doing this poo poo again. And I'm miserable doing this but I've already wasted so much time I have to throw good time after bad. :argh:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
RE: mechanics the game hides from you

I had absolutely no idea about the existence of damage rolls until someone mentioned it in the late gen 6 thread

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

AlternateNu posted:

There's a huge difference in being off-model to illustrate action, provide a sense of power to a scene, or if it the artistic style (see Ping Pong or the Ushiwakamaru vs Gorgon fight in FGO); and being off-model because of sloppy production. I mean, the picture I posted was a panning still shot for christ sakes.

I guess Ash and Sophocles' hair are a bit off? otherwise everyone looks pretty much exactly as they should.

ok, i think i see what you mean, the arms are all looking pretty rough, but the focus on that shot is everyone's expressions, so eh.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Eimi posted:

I just want to say I hate you guy who said they grinded out about one shiny a day. I'm on loving day 5 of shiny ralts hunting after I randomly got a shiny eevee and I've learned my loving lesson, I'm never doing this poo poo again. And I'm miserable doing this but I've already wasted so much time I have to throw good time after bad. :argh:

Sunk costs, yo. You're already invested, may as well get your payoff.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Eimi posted:

I spent 6 days grinding a shiny Zigzagoon, and another 8 days grinding the Flame Orb for him. I feel your pain.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I hope to one day do something exciting enough to warrant Marnie's theme playing in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8c5XnqmAhQ

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is there any way for a profile not on a Nintendo Account to trade? Swish finally lets you have multiple save files, and I am gonna do a ghost-themed run on another profile, but I am guessing that without the online feature or any other switches with pokémon games on them for local trades, I am stuck obtaining all my spooky pals manually?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

I spent 6 days grinding a shiny Zigzagoon, and another 8 days grinding the Flame Orb for him. I feel your pain.

I joined a raid with someone who had a shiny Obstagoon and wow that is one of the more impressive looking shinies, it goes from white and black to entirely red and blue

I still have never seen one ingame since like gen 5

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

A friend pointed out Obstagoon's shiny palette is likely a reference to David Bowie and I love it even more now

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A friend of mine was grinding for shines last weekend; they got the two they were after, plus another two just randomly, all in one day.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On the note of shinies, been playing some earlier-gen romhacks lately, and I would like to put forth the suggestion that Zubat may well be the most common Incidental Shiny. Thoughts?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

This rules

So I had something weird happen to me while playing online. I used healing wish then switched to a pokemon with full HP. Then the turn after that, I switched to a different pokemon, and they were healed by healing wish even though it had been 2 turns.

Does healing wish wait until you switch in a pokemon not at full health?

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 12, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Depending on how you define the possibility space, sure. Geodude and Tentacool are the only other Pokemon I can think of that have consistently turned up across multiple generations in addition to Zubat. 'Regional bird' and 'regional rodent' are the obvious runners up but those are a collection of lots of similar Pokemon so they don't count unless you decide that they count.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I feel like Wingull has shown up a lot across generations, maybe it's more because I remember horde battling loads of them for the speed evs but I definitely feel I've seen a lot of them over the years.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Up to 360/400. Did a lot of wonder trading tonight and got a lot of cool stuff, in fashion balls no less.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Can version exclusives be wondersurprise traded?

I've been catching multiples of everything and throwing it out there, but I haven't gotten any pretty ponies back.

I miss the gts.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Beachcomber posted:

Can version exclusives be wondersurprise traded?

I've been catching multiples of everything and throwing it out there, but I haven't gotten any pretty ponies back.

I miss the gts.

I think the only things that can't be traded are
  • stuff that fails whatever legality checks they put in
  • things in cherish balls? (I might be making this up)

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Yeah, version exclusives are definitely able to be sent/received on Wonder Trade. I've sent a ton of Farfetch'd and gotten a bunch of Ponyta. The only one that apparently can't be is Sableye.

No, I'm not at 399/400, why do you ask?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

wodenspoon posted:

Yeah, version exclusives are definitely able to be sent/received on Wonder Trade. I've sent a ton of Farfetch'd and gotten a bunch of Ponyta. The only one that apparently can't be is Sableye.

No, I'm not at 399/400, why do you ask?

I got one of those. Wanna trade for a pony?

Edit: another time maybe

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 12, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The only things that are illegal on surprise trade are actually illegal mons that trip the hack checker due to illegal moves or stats or whatever, and anything with a special ribbon (which are event exclusive.) Or anything holding a special item that the game doesn't want you to trade.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AlternateNu posted:

Random stream of consciousness post re: Sw/Sh.

1. Kabu is the most Japanese middle-aged/old guy working out ever.
2. Leon still wearing his champion cape and shirt in the rematch arena is a dumb oversight, especially since he wears the ringleader uniform in BT.
3. I'm kind of mad they didn't do anything with the rock formations outside the grass gym.
4. They need to do a game where you aren't playing as a new, unnamed character. I don't care about self-insert crap. Give me something like Persona 2. It isn't like you still can't do dress up with the character models.
5. Raihan's clothing make it look like he has a beer gut, which is hilarious when you consider he's the most self-image obsessed gym leader.

Just looked this up. That was....pretty brutal. But loving lol was everyone super off model in that scene.

The models aren’t off, the anime art style is just that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I hate hate hate this catch level cap. It's asinine.

Also, how many Gens until the Rotoms take over completely?