Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

You gain brouzouf.
Your legs are broken.
You gain brouzouf.
Repairing...
Your legs are okay.
You gain brouzouf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Metastreumonics!?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Funny, I was actually going to come in here to drop this

THE DEVELOPER OF G STRING posted:

Also there will be a 110 page long PDF document called "Beauty Secrets" detailing the development and the lore of G String. This will be free. Sample:

because I came across it while browsing the ModDB page. The trailer shot at least had symbols for all major religions in it, but even I can't justify writing a 110-page book about making your Source mod. Jury's still out, of course. I'm hoping for some EYE style lunacy admittedly so maybe it'll all turn out okay in the end.

That said I'm starting to wonder about the meaning of the name after seeing this other preview

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They picked NATO as the Big Bad for their far-flung techno-apocalyptic sci-fi game. What do you think their opinions are.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They picked NATO as the Big Bad for their far-flung techno-apocalyptic sci-fi game. What do you think their opinions are.

I don't think choosing NATO as the villain of a story tells us anything about her opinions, actually

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ruflux posted:

I don't think choosing NATO as the villain of a story tells us anything about her opinions, actually

I hope you treasure your naiveté

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hope you treasure your naiveté

What can I say, I'm an eternal optimist

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not like NATO isn't already a villain to a lot of people. Just don't be a Westerner, pretty much.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wait what the gently caress how does choosing NATO put you on a side?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ruflux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVx7mSsQoW4

I think this may be the most insane and ridiculous Half-Life 2 mod I've ever seen. Oh yeah and it only has the best name for a Source mod ever too.

Apparently this whole mod was made by a woman named Eyaura Eya over 12 years and I just kind of can't comprehend having that level of dedication to an idea. Something like Black Mesa is impressive as hell of course, but that at least had a whole team of volunteers. This is apparently (largely, at least) just one person, which is just crazy. I really hope this ends up on Steam soon because I'm sold based on visuals alone. It's pretty unique for Source, although there's certainly been games on Source with a similar aesthetic but probably none that are quite as ambitious.

This is channelling E.Y.E while I think also predating it so count me interested as gently caress

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kikas posted:

ask a member of the Warsaw Pact

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Where are people getting the idea arthmoor is a racist from? My only familiarity with said creator is he makes the unofficial patch and has a giant ego. People were talking earlier about if TES6 is in hammerfell said dude would "patch" it to make the redguards whiter...am I getting any names mixed up, or is it an accurate depiction of said dude? If so...wtf is wrong with our modding community!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Kikas posted:

A couple of ways I can see, Russia notoriously doesn't like NATO and people suspiciously mad or trying to convince others that NATO is bad usually makes me wonder about those posters' true motivations as a result and then there's also that one president guy who keeps saying he doesn't want to fund it until he got clowned and now does actually like it again? I dunno, there's a few ways you could derive a larger political opinion out of making NATO the villain of your story.

I don't think any of those ways are really applicable here and I'd be more concerned re: the author's opinions based on the weird sexbot lore but I trust she can handle that concept in a relatively not stupid way.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheNamedSavior posted:

Where are people getting the idea arthmoor is a racist from? My only familiarity with said creator is he makes the unofficial patch and has a giant ego. People were talking earlier about if TES6 is in hammerfell said dude would "patch" it to make the redguards whiter...am I getting any names mixed up, or is it an accurate depiction of said dude? If so...wtf is wrong with our modding community!

He's a huge Libertarian so...

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

ask a member of the Warsaw Pact

I live in Poland and I still don't get it :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So, to hopefully button this up quickly (fat chance, but-), 1) NATO is often conspiratorially cast as some mysterious cabal working against US interests in US conspiracy theory circles, this has been true for decades, and it's also not regarded especially fondly by Russian circles, who I guess(?) probably agitate that line of thinking in the US opportunistically. HOWEVER, hilariously weird dystopian sci-fi has often cast the UN or NATO as the progenitor of some 'New World Order' government, it's not necessarily a political statement, and even it is it's one attributable to many disparate groups including certain subsects of tankies, anarchists, and libertarians, so it doesn't really tell you much. 2) I don't personally recall offhand Arthmoor making explicitly racist comments known, but he is a weird regressive libertarian with explicitly conservative views, so being relatively aware of and sensitive towards racial issues would also be somewhat of a surprise. And 3) 'what is wrong with modders', that's pretty easy to answer: Like a lot of internet subcultures, especially those focused on creativity and making things, modding is an attractive way for marginalized people to make their issues known and to attain some semblance of control and power. This can cut both ways, because there's a lot of cool, positive things that get made. Unfortunately, if a person has a giant boner for nazis it's also much easier and more socially acceptable to broadcast that and project power fantasies by making mods adding nazis to every war-game, because hey, legitimate historical faction. If a person has a boner for giant boners and little artistic talent then your options for expression are limited and doing a little modding and scaling work is a potential outlet for that, and that's at least relatively harmless, but the same outlet is attractive to people who find it appealing to, for example, keep underaged sex slaves, and then like-minded people will group together around these interests and form little cabals vying for incredibly petty amounts of power on modding forums. The terrible weirdos stand out more and are more memorable, and due to the general toxicity of the internet re: videogames, may be relatively more common in modding than some other places.

basically the short answer is that people are terrible and there's nothing wrong with the mod scene that isn't an expression of existing, known issues with people and the internet

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't really see it as all that different from proposing the idea that the US government is secretly under the control of a cabal of anti-democratic militarists who have artificially fostered and controlled practically every armed conflict in the world since the end of World War 2.

You know, like the entire premise and plot of the Metal Gear Solid series. As these things go, it's a weird thing to take exception to.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

So, to hopefully button this up quickly (fat chance, but-), 1) NATO is often conspiratorially cast as some mysterious cabal working against US interests in US conspiracy theory circles, this has been true for decades, and it's also not regarded especially fondly by Russian circles, who I guess(?) probably agitate that line of thinking in the US opportunistically. HOWEVER, hilariously weird dystopian sci-fi has often cast the UN or NATO as the progenitor of some 'New World Order' government, it's not necessarily a political statement, and even it is it's one attributable to many disparate groups including certain subsects of tankies, anarchists, and libertarians, so it doesn't really tell you much. 2) I don't personally recall offhand Arthmoor making explicitly racist comments known, but he is a weird regressive libertarian with explicitly conservative views, so being relatively aware of and sensitive towards racial issues would also be somewhat of a surprise. And 3) 'what is wrong with modders', that's pretty easy to answer: Like a lot of internet subcultures, especially those focused on creativity and making things, modding is an attractive way for marginalized people to make their issues known and to attain some semblance of control and power. This can cut both ways, because there's a lot of cool, positive things that get made. Unfortunately, if a person has a giant boner for nazis it's also much easier and more socially acceptable to broadcast that and project power fantasies by making mods adding nazis to every war-game, because hey, legitimate historical faction. If a person has a boner for giant boners and little artistic talent then your options for expression are limited and doing a little modding and scaling work is a potential outlet for that, and that's at least relatively harmless, but the same outlet is attractive to people who find it appealing to, for example, keep underaged sex slaves, and then like-minded people will group together around these interests and form little cabals vying for incredibly petty amounts of power on modding forums. The terrible weirdos stand out more and are more memorable, and due to the general toxicity of the internet re: videogames, may be relatively more common in modding than some other places.

basically the short answer is that people are terrible and there's nothing wrong with the mod scene that isn't an expression of existing, known issues with people and the internet

But have you considered that it's easy and sometimes self-gratifying to use a limited dataset to make pointless assumptions about people you've never met?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kikas posted:

A less wall of text explanation is that NATO is a popular target for conspiracy theories for people in the US and other places. What's more, who represents those theories and what they represent have changed since the 90's onwards. Nowadays it tends to be the domain of some really crazy, really racist, and all around bigoted people. For a more :words: explanation that's off topic to the forum:

During the 90's there were numerous conspiracy theories about NATO and the UN being a shadowy new world order. However, they were believed in only by the most fringe of crackpots. NATO and the UN were hardly the only group that had such conspiracy theories (and arguably was the least of them, relatively speaking) created about them too. FEMA and numerous other governmental agencies had similar "the government is controlled by an evil conspiracy" theories. Incidentally, this informed pop culture a bit. Games like Deus Ex and shows like the X-Files all played on this stuff with things like UNATCO and the X-Files various story arcs and such.

Most of the guys and gals that believed that stuff back then were just nuts or in really desperate places and needed something to latch on too. They were largely anti-state on (crazy) principles. Then towards the early-middle to middle of the Bush years the right wing media finally started to spin up to it's full inspire-people-to-batshit-crazy-beliefs potential and it started to suck otherwise normal people into those sorts of fringe conspiracy groups. This exacerbated things and brought those beliefs to people that would have otherwise ignored them since a lot of that media was presented as if it had an air of legitimacy to it.

Then when the Obama years rolled around the aforementioned right wing media machine tore off the mask and went "SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKERS, IT'S ABOUT RACISM/GETTING REPUBLICANS ELECTED ALL ALONG!" and everyone that was hooked into those spheres promptly followed suit as they repeatedly doubled down since they were uncritically listening to them (and therefore trusted them) for well over a decade past when a lot of the FEMA/NATO/UN conspiracy theories got started and were largely abandoned by their original proponents.

Coincidentally, most pop culture portrayals nowadays of things like FEMA, the UN, NATO, etc, etc, as being evil conspiracies tend to be avoided outside of retreads of old games like Deus Ex. Which is probably at least partially because portrayals of these conspiracy theories in that light puts you adjacent to the sort of guy that's so nuts or angry at the world he'd happily genocide the jews/immigrants/lgbt people/whatever their hated enemy of the hour is.

If the game was in development 12 years ago that does put it in the range of it being towards the early Obama/late Bush years. Even so, the timing of it doesn't necessarily mean it's a game from some racist crazy person. Then again, I haven't seen the video of it yet and other people have posted some stuff that makes it look pretty questionable (Like that damned near satanic looking Star of David. That's a big red flag. :stare:) so :shrug:.

Edit: I forgot that I was going to talk about another mega mod/standalone game I found over the past year called AMC TC before I saw this conversation.

Basically, it's a mod built off a renovated version of the old Duke3D game engine that details what happens when Duke Nukem goes missing and is...Well, the only way to put it is that it's insanely huge and is the work of a ton of modders working together to make what's essentially the Duke Nukem version of the Avengers. Which are predictably all expies of corny heroes from one game or another when they're not just outright assholes that'd be the villain of their own game.

It's literally bigger than most commercial games and is basically every old shooter put together. Quake, DOOM, Duke3d, Blood, Deus Ex, Hexen, and more --- It's all there in a copyright friendly manner. And when I say it mixes games like Doom and Duke3d I do mean that literally. In one mission you can be fighting an army of demons in a level straight out of DOOM and then in the next take on cultists that are basically an expy of Blood's cultists.

And that's before you get into the meat of the gameplay with how each character interacts with the world differently. Hell, this applies to the variability in all the content too. In one mission I was driving a tank through a city as part of a communist revolution with a squad of AI soldiers supporting me in my charge to take the palace from a corrupt dictator. In the next, I had found out that a different character could engage in a freaking hacking minigame that doubled as a jumping puzzle. Said hacking minigame then transitioned into being able to control a giant killer robot because hey why the gently caress not?

Basically, not only is the gameplay of the gunplay (or sword play/magic play) represented in the characters you have available but their respective enemies from their games are there too with some upgrades and additions. It's nuts. And it's actually kind of loving awesome once you get over the Duke3d era jank and the corny voice acting. The latter of which is apparently being worked on.

The game is as mentioned quite huge. But how huge it actually is tends to shock the poo poo out of everyone that plays it. With around 8ish unique playable characters that are all copyright friendly versions of protagonists from old games, a full scale X-COM-esque campaign and research system based around salvage and exploring action sites between doing investigation oriented missions, mass combat "war" style missions, and classic shooter style missions, and an insanely huge world that starts with the entire solar system and then escalates to nearby solar systems before somehow topping itself again with literally a galaxy it's quite possibly the biggest old school game mod out there. Notably, it's still in production despite running on the old Duke 3D/Blood game engine.

I can talk about it more if people want, but in the mean time i'd suggest checking out that IcarusLives guy that does a lot of reviews of mods of old games if it sounds interesting. He did a nearly 20 minute piece on it worth watching despite him having to cut it short.

I say he had to cut it short because after trying to explain everything about it and eventually giving up (He himself points out the video would be hours long if he did and he had already played for 6 hours by that point just to get that video with all it's info up.) he eventually just lapses into raving about how loving huge the game is and how ridiculous it is that these modders have done something this big for this long with pretty much no one noticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDtipqEnZA

Note that it took him 20 minutes to go over episode 1. There are three episodes out with at least a fourth one coming and a fifth planned. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 12, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Aesthetic. With a toned down version for "small minds."

Just such a weird joke to lean into.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I think one of the authors of that mod is a goon (I forget who it is, though).

AMC is one of those mods that looks really cool and I've tried playing a few times, but it feels like it needs a manual or guidebook to go along with it.

As well as a better dialog font.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

marshmallow creep posted:

Aesthetic. With a toned down version for "small minds."

Just such a weird joke to lean into.

quote:

Buddy you are not "fairly twisted" because you have no IDEA what twisted looks like. I have seen twisted. "A whole new level?" Bigger then natural lips? My man.

The lips I made here aren't 1/10th as big as some people like them. And even if you multiplied the size of the lips here by 10, that is still not even beginning to approach what counts for twisted.

What you just said is like when a girl says she's "Sooo OCD" because she eats dinner at the same time every day.

:twisted:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, where the guy is right, he's right. That's barely even fivehead level yet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Archonex posted:

(Like that damned near satanic looking Star of David. That's a big red flag. :stare:)

Look closer. It's flashing a generic "faiths of the world" lineup. Not to say that you can't read into it how it's centered and framed and such but taken in context and at face value it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as you think.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Archonex posted:

NATO+G-String stuff
According to her moddb profile, the creator is from Japan so that might put a different spin on the whole NATO stuff. Whether she's just using it as a surface-level thing, or if it's some nationalistic statement, I obviously don't know. Aaaaaaand I will say that a flag on a website profile doesn't mean much and for all I know she's just a western weeb. But still, there is the possibility that she's approaching it from an angle that's got nothing to do with an American conspiratorial zeitgeist.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That poster's absolutely right tho.

What you see in nexus is but the surface of the universe of fetish stuff.

(even slab doesn't dig that deep into the abyss)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

John Murdoch posted:

Look closer. It's flashing a generic "faiths of the world" lineup. Not to say that you can't read into it how it's centered and framed and such but taken in context and at face value it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as you think.

Mordja posted:

According to her moddb profile, the creator is from Japan so that might put a different spin on the whole NATO stuff. Whether she's just using it as a surface-level thing, or if it's some nationalistic statement, I obviously don't know. Aaaaaaand I will say that a flag on a website profile doesn't mean much and for all I know she's just a western weeb. But still, there is the possibility that she's approaching it from an angle that's got nothing to do with an American conspiratorial zeitgeist.

Ah. Still seems kinda skeevy but okay. Maybe it's just hearkening back to old 90's era conspiracy media then? Kind of a weird thing to go retro with but I guess trends have gotta start somewhere.

I will say that Japan has some really crazy nationalistic types too. So who the gently caress knows. Guess i'll wait until goons report more on it to make a judgement.

Also, why the heck didn't the goon that helped make AMC TC post it here? It's right up this thread's alley. Once I got back into the swing of playing games like that and redid the Duke3d control scheme to something modern it was a blast.

Kyte posted:

I don't believe there's worse than the Slab. Not unless you show me. :unsmigghh:

Granted, it seems like the Slab modders have been winding down these past few years given that no one has posted any really new and particularly egregious examples of their stuff here to gawk at and make fun of. Maybe because they kinda peaked with that horrifying parasitic porn mod? Honestly, you aren't getting creepier than that thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kyte posted:

That poster's absolutely right tho.

What you see in nexus is but the surface of the universe of fetish stuff.

some of the most hosed up poo poo that i've ever seen has been on the nexus, like the oblivion mod where you hack up corpses of women to use as furniture and weapons and then have sex with them

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
There's only thing that nexus and the slab let you kill but not gently caress so it's not hard to imagine there's worse things outside those walls that shouldn't be posted and probably not even mentioned here.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Archonex posted:

Granted, it seems like the Slab modders have been winding down these past few years given that no one has posted any really new and particularly egregious examples of their stuff here to gawk at and make fun of. Maybe because they kinda peaked with that horrifying parasitic porn mod? Honestly, you aren't getting creepier than that thing.

There hasn't been a really moddable Elder Scrolls/Fallout style game in a few years. Hasn't been much opportunity to make something for a new game like them, so I think people are just a bit burned out. Whenever a sequel releases, I'm sure you'll get a flood of creative, inventive, high-class vaginaswords and robobrothels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Ah. Still seems kinda skeevy but okay. Maybe it's just hearkening back to old 90's era conspiracy media then? Kind of a weird thing to go retro with but I guess trends have gotta start somewhere.
Honestly, I think you're being more weird about it than she is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Woops, wrong tab.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone added a shirt with a bunch of anime girl o-faces on them.

Also what the gently caress is up with the nexus now? Haven't been on for a few months but first thing it does is demand I update my password then starts pushing hard for me to give them money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yep. You also have more steps to even download something. Instead of just hitting download, you hit download and then you have to pick the slow or (paid) fast option, even of you selected the "download with mod manager" option.

They're adding modding pages for dozens of games a week and it must cost them a fortune to host all that data.

What was the name of the old modding site that preceded the Nexus? Fileplanet or something? I remember they had a bunch of different websites for modding each star wars game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats what really got me. It was weird when I first logged in and it made its pitch, then whenever I went to download something it was like I was downloading porn from a suspicious hosting website all over again, telling me its gonna cap my download speed and poo poo.

Though I guess its nexus so it feeling akin to those file hosting websites makes sense.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What was the name of the old modding site that preceded the Nexus? Fileplanet or something? I remember they had a bunch of different websites for modding each star wars game.

There was also fpsbanana

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The cowards!

quote:

During the process of going retail and contacting VALVe the issue of a possible name change came up. It's not that a game with this title can't go on Steam but people are concerned about the marketability of something that sounds like G String, essentially a woman undergarment.

For short it might get lost in a sea of women's undies links on google. The long-term marketability is what's the issue here.

The arrangement is, as always: you decide:

G STRING

or

G STRAND

If you have better suggestions we are open but also this is easiest so the logo doesn't change much. If you think this is an awful idea we stick to G String and forget this happened, again: it's up to you.

Please let me know what you think below, I really want to know.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm not buying the game anymore. Not because of the potential name change, not because of any political opinions or anything, but because she's one of those people.

You know, the ones that spell Valve's name as "VALVe". Disgusting. I'm done. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ruflux posted:

I'm not buying the game anymore. Not because of the potential name change, not because of any political opinions or anything, but because she's one of those people.

You know, the ones that spell Valve's name as "VALVe". Disgusting. I'm done. :colbert:

I assume this is a joke but what?