Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

42. Soldiers' Life of Despair

Gaius resolves to protect his homeland from the inevitable clash of at least four different parties, at least one of which employs very tiny and loud children. Keep a close eye out for a special guest! Windows 10 User Account Control

please enjoy my one-time-only Millium impression, which will never surface again because jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Trails in the Sky spoiler: "They're not going to turn the comic relief into the supervillain." *Weissmann whistles innocently in the distance*

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Millium is one of my favorites in Cold Steel (PC port for 3 when? :argh:) on the basis of her goofball voice acting by Ashly Burch. If you aren't convinced yet, try having her cook things.

Gameplay wise she's oddly the combat brick of the party. You didn't look over her stats too much there, but she has high defenses and ATK in case for poor ATS/SPD and middling HP.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Jusis' Noble Command is pretty much the thing that defines his role in combat and probably his best skill. Your party's a lot more effective with +50% Strength, Arts and Speed, so expect to hear his "Now's our chance" a lot whenever he's in the party.

Alisa is pretty much a walking talking Reinford product catalog and it won't be the last time she shakes random stuff's serial numbers out of her sleeve.

Millium is kind of like Laura if Laura were short, hyperactive and armed with a comically huge honkin' hammer instead of a comically huge sword. Her Strength stat is right up there with Laura and her S-craft is even better though her orbment's elemental slots are have suckier elemental locks.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 9, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Optional Quest Monster non-spoiler tips: You might want to do some trash fights before fighting the optional quest monster to make sure your your CP is high, because that monster is nasty. Don't let your buffs expire. (Also you need to go back to the settlement to collect the reward for defeating it)

- Elliot and Machias don't have S-Crafts either, actually. But they will have theirs sooner than Emma.
- Noble Command is really good, to the point where many people only use Jusis for it, then stick him back on the bench.
- It kinda makes sense that the mystery shooters left the guns behind, they probably didn't want to be stuck lugging those heavy guns back across the highlands with Zenders gate stirred up and swarming to the watchtower.
- Well, sure Alisa could break the mortars but not fix the truck (even if she did know how, she didn't have the tools anyway). Breaking stuff is a lot easier than fixing stuff. It's kinda amazing enough that Alisa has memorized enough information about Reinford products to remember the specs for some old-rear end mortars in the first place.
- The mortars might have been visible from the watch tower, but the watch tower watches Calvard, which is a different direction, and after the damage, they probably don't want people in the possibly unstable tower until engineers have gone over it.
- I think Vengeance is winning the fight with someone (or several people?) who is at low HP.
- If you think Millium is annoying now, I have bad news. She's at her least obnoxious in this chapter.
- END ME SCOOB: Now is where the second Red Moon Rose appears. Also, I don't think the Watchtower has any new dialogue at this point so there's no need to go all teh way back over there.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 10, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Jusis is a guy I almost always give either Wing or Moebius to. He's a great utility piece I always underestimate the value of, but in tough battles, if he's in the party at all, he's usually in the active party by the time it's over. Just quietly gets onto the board.

I'd argue this is Millium at her most annoying, personally.

NGDBSS posted:

Millium is one of my favorites in Cold Steel (PC port for 3 when? :argh:) on the basis of her goofball voice acting by Ashly Burch. If you aren't convinced yet, try having her cook things.

Gameplay wise she's oddly the combat brick of the party. You didn't look over her stats too much there, but she has high defenses and ATK in case for poor ATS/SPD and middling HP.

Sadly, Millium is one of two VAs that changed in 3

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Veryslightlymad posted:

Aww.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

Can you PM me who the second was, unless it's a spoiler?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Can you PM me who the second was, unless it's a spoiler?

Bad news sent. Shouldn't be a spoiler for you, but it would be for the thread.

Edit
These are the two I have noticed. There might be more, but I am reasonably sure people like friggin' Mint kept the same VA so if I missed another major character, I would be surprised.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 10, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Bakc to something mentioned earlier: I kept Mistral on Jusis the whole game and he was perfectly fine. :shrug:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'd argue this is Millium at her most annoying, personally.

I agree with this, Millium's arc is that she gets less annoying the more screen time she's had.

Veryslightlymad posted:

These are the two I have noticed. There might be more, but I am reasonably sure people like friggin' Mint kept the same VA so if I missed another major character, I would be surprised.

There's a point where Mint has voice acting? I think I literally didn't notice.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 11, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

CottonWolf posted:

There's a point where Mint has voice acting? I think I literally didn't notice.

There's a point in Cold Steel II where she's part of a voiced cutscene. The initial console versions didn't have any of the ordinary students voiced, so it was one of those mixed some-voiced-some-not cutscenes but the PC version filled up those gaps.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Erpy posted:

There's a point in Cold Steel II where she's part of a voiced cutscene. The initial console versions didn't have any of the ordinary students voiced, so it was one of those mixed some-voiced-some-not cutscenes but the PC version filled up those gaps.

Ah. I suspect I know the bit you mean then, but yeah, I definitely didn't notice she had a voice.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's hard to miss because it's so bad. I actually wish she sounded significantly different.

Anyhow, a few of those characters get voiced twice in CSII. As near as I can tell, even those VAs are the same.

For anyone worried about the localization of CSIII, I can confirm that Becky has a VA, and yes, the VA is inexplicably Scottish.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

Bakc to something mentioned earlier: I kept Mistral on Jusis the whole game and he was perfectly fine. :shrug:

You can, I think I did that my first time, the game is easy enough. It's just that the MQ itself is pretty mediocre, given its got a bonus for ATS but has a short spell list.

CottonWolf posted:

I agree with this, Millium's arc is that she gets less annoying the more screen time she's had.

Is it like some kind of parabola where her annoying-ness levels keep going up and up and eventually normalization sets in, and you forget what life was like in the Beforetime?

Veryslightlymad posted:

For anyone worried about the localization of CSIII, I can confirm that Becky has a VA, and yes, the VA is inexplicably Scottish.

Yasss.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never used Millium my first playthrough of the first two games. I'm on team "if-I-find-you-annoying-I-don't-care-if-you're-this-games-Thunder-God-Cid-you're-benched", so Millium started off there for me. But she gets a solid arc, I'd say one of the better ones in the series. A lot of it is hidden behind bonding events, though, which is unfortunate.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Is it like some kind of parabola where her annoying-ness levels keep going up and up and eventually normalization sets in, and you forget what life was like in the Beforetime?
I can’t rule out Stockholm syndrome, no.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's entirely possible Millium will grow on us and become our new favorite and we'll be ashamed of our words and deeds. I'm not really betting on it though.

NGDBSS posted:

(PC port for 3 when? :argh:)

Spring seems likely.

I made big changes to the audio in this one! As part of my endless quest to reduce turnaround time, I found some plugins on sale that will automate some of the stuff I'm doing and it saves hours on processing time (not exaggerating). I made a few other tweaks and hopefully it should all sound about the same -- please let me know!

43. She's On the Border Now

There's no time to waste chasing the culprits, so we beat up a rock, go fishing and ask some soldiers to lend us a book. No cutting corners.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 12, 2019

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Without going back and doing a side-by-side comparison, I'm not noticing any audio differences, so I'm guessing it worked fine.

I really like the dungeon music in the ancient quarry. Like, this is a good soundtrack in general, but that track stands out to me for some reason.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree but it's a pity the dungeon is a five foot long tunnel

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I agree but it's a pity the dungeon is a five foot long tunnel

I imagine it was hilarious for everyone who played this before as we get one fight in and realize that exact thing.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

The golem is a great example of why buffs matter. Without the 50% Str, Gaius went from 850 damage to under 200. Doesn't help that the golem is very defensively strong.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I knew for sure that Millium was going to join the party in the boss battle introducing her, where on her turns she sometimes piped up with "My Turn!" like Class VII does.
- Alisa's S-Craft is pretty mediocre right now, I have to admit. It gets an upgrade later this game.
- Oh, so I was wrong about no new dialogue at the watchtower. Well at least it wasn't a complete waste of a trip.
- Indeed, just as Rean is the S-Rank Slash attacker, Gaius is the S-Rank Thrust attacker, Alisa is the S-Rank Pierce attacker, Millium is the S-Rank Strike attacker. No one else in Group A had any Strike attacks of note. I think this is actually the only time all four S-Rank characters are on a field study together.
- This boss is a lesson reminding you how big a difference buffs can make in a battle. It has extremely high DEF, so once the physical attack buffs wear out, your damage drops like a rock.
- I really like the "You're about to die" music in this game. It's called "Even if Driven to the Wall".
- Yeah, "EP Regen on field" stuff is crazy good, you don't have to worry about using EP at all after that. But that isn't even the most insane broken quartz in the game. So is "CP Regen when attacking on field", although using that might force you into more battles than you want.
- Yes, "Higher elements present" is basically Trails in the Sky The Third rules.
- I'll put it to you like this. Chapter 4's field study is in many ways the polar opposite to Chapter 3's. BUT if your biggest complaint about Chapter 3's field study is going huge long distances between places to talk to NPC's or do quests, you'll absolutely love Chapters 4 and 5.
- I will grant that Millium is at her least obnoxious in Chapter 4.
- "She's going to join, then we're going to kill her and replace her with Crow." I like where your head's at!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I imagine it was hilarious for everyone who played this before as we get one fight in and realize that exact thing.

The dungeon might be short, but the good dungeon music ("Into the Abyss") will return. Youtube-comment-free link: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC4JXuHiSPiU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Even though Millium's objectively a good field character because she (and Laura!) can stun enemies that are facing you, Lammy gets in the way of both the camera and your actual movement, so I tend to never use her. There's an argument for doing so, though.

~ Rush is better used against clumps of enemies. Early on, when you've got nothing else to burn points on, Rush everything, why the hell not, but since it'll hit in an area, it's a great way of killing enemies you might not have otherwise been able to target/quite kill.

~ Getting CP is great and all, but Alisa and Emma's crafts are also both pretty drat great at healing (and Elliot's is even better, Machias' is... mediocre but heals EP), and Alisa's craft is going to be a much better group heal than Breath at this point. (And at every point, inside of battle. Holy Breath, however, is actually pretty decent. Breath is really only good if you've got Elliot's Canon quartz on someone) A decent strategy during boss fights where you have both characters is to have Alisa heal a clump of people and then have Emma heal Alisa.

~ As important as buffs are, Debuffs are also something you might not want to overlook. Dropping an enemy's attack twice is probably a bigger difference than raising your own defense twice. Not that... uh, anyone can do this right now. (Jusis can lower arts defense. Emma can do... something... with Detector.) If you had the other party, that golem would have been a joke, because Laura and Machias could shred its defense.

~ But I don't want to discredit how good buffs can be. You had at least one character who could cast La Crest, and La Crest is pretty great when it's stacked.

~ Emma would have likely killed the golem at the end with a basic attack, and would have certainly killed it with Ethereal Edge. She hits vs Arts defense.

~ It ended up not mattering in the golem fight, because you stole it by casting an art, but those 50HP squares are more terrifying to me than crit squares, and you do not want those firing on a boss encounter.

~ If an enemy uses Vanish on YOU, it will remove you from the fight for several turns. It will also reduce your EP to zero. Being vanished loving sucks. Don't let it happen.

~ You do not get XP from vanished guys.

~ FUN FACT! If you S-break and steal a CP Loss turn you will, in fact, lose your S-break.

~ Millium, Emma, Elliot, and Machias have basic attacks that hit in an area. Unless you're fighting slimes, this isn't so important for the two casters, but it's a big part of what makes Millium and Machias so good. Not only will they damage more enemies (which gives you more chances to break or status an enemy), but they'll also build CP much faster than other characters. It cannot be overstated how good status or stat-down quartz are on either of those two.

~ Use crafts! They're really good! There's very few "this is straight up bad" crafts in the game, and it's basically an infinite resource. At the very least, many of them hit multiple targets. But a lot of them have status ailments, and just one or two lucky statuses will turn a fight. In your party right now, Millium can cause Faint, which is fantastic (will make every hit against that enemy a critical hit, and they'll lose all their fainted turns) and Gaius has Seal, which will stop an enemy from moving, attacking, or using crafts. Alisa can... burn... things, which probably isn't the best use of her, but it's percentage based damage and can really ruin a boss's day. Rean and Jusis have delay, which lets you control the turn order, and that's always a huge plus.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Even though Millium's objectively a good field character because she (and Laura!) can stun enemies that are facing you, Lammy gets in the way of both the camera and your actual movement, so I tend to never use her. There's an argument for doing so, though.

That was a quality of life fix they took care of in III. Lammy disappears much quicker there

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

Alisa can... burn... things, which probably isn't the best use of her, but it's percentage based damage and can really ruin a boss's day.

I mainly used Alisa as an enabler to allow everyone else to throw down crafts constantly. And keep them alive, but mainly the first part.

Edit: I missed this earlier, but:

Veryslightlymad posted:

A decent strategy during boss fights where you have both characters is to have Alisa heal a clump of people and then have Emma heal Alisa.

This is also really strong, just on pure numbers, because both of the crafts restore CP. At the end of those two actions, Alisa's down 10 CP, Emma's up 10, and the other two are up 40 - all in addition to the healing.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 13, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cyouni posted:

I mainly used Alisa as an enabler to allow everyone else to throw down crafts constantly. And keep them alive, but mainly the first part.

Yeah, regardless of how you build Alisa, healing and CP up is definitely her niche. I wanted to make sure they knew what all their theoretically useful options were.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a nice FF7 reference the translator threw in.

Millium is clearly one of those guys from Wizard of Oz 2 with wheels on their hands and feet.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Getting CP is great and all, but Alisa and Emma's crafts are also both pretty drat great at healing (and Elliot's is even better, Machias' is... mediocre but heals EP), and Alisa's craft is going to be a much better group heal than Breath at this point. (And at every point, inside of battle. Holy Breath, however, is actually pretty decent. Breath is really only good if you've got Elliot's Canon quartz on someone) A decent strategy during boss fights where you have both characters is to have Alisa heal a clump of people and then have Emma heal Alisa.

See below but my biggest issue with Blessed Arrow, aside from not being able to target herself (understandable for the CP part) is the range -- specifically that she can't actually move before using it, meaning it only works in her attack range. All the melee characters, especially Rean, tend to go flying way out of it. And if everyone is in a position where they desperately need a group heal and standing together, the situation is usually such a disaster that spending moves not spreading out so you can wait for either Alisa's turn or for the art to land is a great opportunity to get everyone killed. I'll have to poke at it some next chapter but it seems like until we get something like a La Tear-All it's always gonna be a tradeoff, by design.

- I'll put it to you like this. Chapter 4's field study is in many ways the polar opposite to Chapter 3's. BUT if your biggest complaint about Chapter 3's field study is going huge long distances between places to talk to NPC's or do quests, you'll absolutely love Chapters 4 and 5.

I am extremely ready for this right now. Generally the events in this chapter were all perfectly good, Horny Grandpa Comedy Hour aside, but the transit was really starting to grate. If the map was like 60% of its current size it would've helped.

44. Spy 'Children'

With the day saved (we think) and the war halted (probably?), we learn a bit more about Millium (emphasis on a bit) and ride off into the sunset (before leaving in the morning).

what if that spider really was a djinn and granted that guy's secret wish to get tied up and vored

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 16, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I fully agree that while I will probably play and replay this game until I die, I hate all the travel time this chapter demands

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

See below but my biggest issue with Blessed Arrow, aside from not being able to target herself (understandable for the CP part) is the range -- specifically that she can't actually move before using it, meaning it only works in her attack range. All the melee characters, especially Rean, tend to go flying way out of it. And if everyone is in a position where they desperately need a group heal and standing together, the situation is usually such a disaster that spending moves not spreading out so you can wait for either Alisa's turn or for the art to land is a great opportunity to get everyone killed. I'll have to poke at it some next chapter but it seems like until we get something like a La Tear-All it's always gonna be a tradeoff, by design.

The only AoE healing arts is Holy Breath. It's a distinct upgrade to Breath. Other than that the only AoE healing are Alisa and Elliot's crafts. I do like to stick a Teara/Tearal/Athelas quartz onto Rean for emergency healing if needed.

quote:

I am extremely ready for this right now. Generally the events in this chapter were all perfectly good, Horny Grandpa Hour aside, but the transit was really starting to grate. If the map was like 60% of its current size it would've helped.

I mean, you do clearly know that the Turbo mode button exists, no one would have complained if you used it to travel faster. Gwyn probably isn't going to have any more moments close to as bad as he was in his introduction scenes.

quote:

44. Spy 'Children'

- Something that I keep forgetting to do - but really shouldn't - is to take off things like "Dragon Vein" and "Ingenuity" before boss battles, because that's a slot which could be used for a better quartz. Scent is a good one to put on for boss battles even if you've been otherwise ignoring it because its downside doesn't apply in boss battles.
- Good job handling the first boss battle after the perilous start.
- "I think we're gonna be out of spiders". No, you'll NEVER be out of spiders.
- You handled that spider boss battle a lot better than most people, including me. That guy will summon spiders forever, and push you up to a 3+ experience modifier.
- The "gradual HP regen when HP is low" is probably the weakest ability the Angel MQ gets.
- Hints from Sky the Third suggest that the Calvard games might feature an intelligence agency instead of bracers, cops, or students. If you turn your head and squint, you could even justify sidequests for that group too.
- I also don't know anything about the Crossbell games. But from just the glimpses you get in the Cold Steel games, oh boy does Crossbell get nucking futs.

- Chapter 3's screentime was partly inflated because of the midterms. Still though, I think long chapters are going to be fairly normal from this point out.
- The A is from Elliot dying in the practical exam.

- Re: Alisa stealing Gaius' spotlight:
I could say that part of it is because the game starts off with a cast of 9 playable characters, which is too many to give an even amount of focus on. To tell engaging stories, you need conflict and emotional wounds. Gaius... just doesn't have a tragedy in his past. His family is all alive and doing well, his hometown is happy and distinctly not burned to the ground. There's not a lot there to hang a story on. I could say that.

I could say that Alisa is the female lead for Trails of Cold Steel 1, which means that she is going to get significant screentime. (Also that the game is now going to move focus off of Alisa for a significant amount of time.) I could say that.

But I think that the root cause is that Falcom went a little too far from having an ensemble cast to a Rean-centric cast with a quasi-harem, and because of that, they focused more on making the female characters the ones with the most going on. Laura is the physically strongest. Emma is the smartest (and best caster), Fie is the fastest. Alisa is the smartest with technology. It leaves the male characters feel undeveloped at times. Gaius isn't even the worst example. The more you see of Elliot, the less interesting he becomes. He is literally a one-note character.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Level 1 Thief posted:

~ Understandable. This is more reason to use La Crest if you remember. Emma tends to be able to reach much farther with her own ability. What'd be really handy is if some character had a skill that let you hit Insight on everyone in an area. But the odds of someone getting a skill like that and generally being present when Alisa is is a tall order.

~ Counter attacks only trigger when you dodge or when the partner of a person who has it as a link ability takes damage for any reason. (So sometimes, those characters will counter enemies twice) Infuriatingly, the link version of the counter does not count as a counterattack, despite it literally being called one, so if you have a quartz that boosts counter-attacks, it only boosts the standard "dodge than counter" version.

~ The deathblow tile is 100% deathblow on any offensive attack (including Detector! Kill an enemy by scanning it's vitals! Watch them die of embarassment!) but all three of those things resisted. It says "immune" on the tooltip, but it means "unless the target resists". You can definitely trigger deathblow with Ethereal Edge. You can trigger it with magic (and be killed by enemy magic this way, too, so watch out for that) Incidentally, CS2 will have a couple of characters who have a 200% chance to hit a status. (I honestly forget if Elliot/Machias' S-crafts do in this game, or if they "only" hit 100%)

~ That fight against the goons would have gone a lot better for you if you'd relied on Millium's Buster Arm a bit more. They're all susceptible to Faint, and Faint is one of the nastiest statuses in the game. To a lesser extent, this could have helped with the spider, too. (Even the big spider is susceptible to Faint) You seem to like to build up to S-breaks, which are really good, but after a point, you should maybe consider it a lost cause and feel free to spam crafts.

~ At one point, you said "I wish it shows what their current buff status is". If you don't see anything, then they have no buffs or status ailments.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Level 1 Thief posted:

This is where a lot of formation positioning comes into play in Trails. Formation wasn't that important in TitS, but it got way more emphasized starting from Zero/Ao as a way to make boss fights hard, and that trend only got more intense in ToCS with the increased emphasis on utility crafts. It's also just one of the many MANY perks of sticking Rean with Arc Slice/Gale exclusively; you just never have to move at any point.

Also, one way to compensate for this is to run Alisa as a high Speed character, so you can respond quickly to group healing.

Also of note is that it doesn't waste that much delay to just issue move as a command.

But yeah, all this being said, if you're going into fights 100% blind, formation can be tricky.

The only AoE healing arts is Holy Breath. It's a distinct upgrade to Breath. Other than that the only AoE healing are Alisa and Elliot's crafts. I do like to stick a Teara/Tearal/Athelas quartz onto Rean for emergency healing if needed.

There's also Seraphic Ring. Super powerful, but super EP hungry. If I remember right, Seraphic Ring comes close to the end of the game in TOCS 1 though.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 16, 2019

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Level 1 Thief posted:

See below but my biggest issue with Blessed Arrow, aside from not being able to target herself (understandable for the CP part) is the range -- specifically that she can't actually move before using it, meaning it only works in her attack range. All the melee characters, especially Rean, tend to go flying way out of it.

That's certainly a problem with using Autumn Leaf Cutter. It's very good at getting you out of AoEs. The problem is that it's very good at getting you out of AoEs, because of how it always will fling Rean past its impact point.

(I tend to use it again to fling Rean back, in cases where I need him near the party again for things like Motivate, or healing, or Motivate.)

One thing I also noticed for the future - you can use Dark Matter to pull enemies together if they want to stay spread apart and spread fire on you without moving.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 16, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

AncientSpark posted:

Also, one way to compensate for this is to run Alisa as a high Speed character, so you can respond quickly to group healing.

Yeah, consensus on Alisa is, regardless of if you're going to build her as a caster or a fighter, emphasize her speed more than anything else. Honestly, that's not bad advice for any character in the game/series. You can get by turning someone into a super-bruiser with a certain master quartz that makes speed irrelevant, but outside of that, everyone wants more speed.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Honestly, that's not bad advice for any character in the game/series.

Time sepith stash crying itself to sleep

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

AncientSpark posted:

Time sepith stash crying itself to sleep

Heh, yeah. This is another reason why Jusis is great. Raw stats are much less important if you have +50% speed.

Fie's Raven quartz gives this speed boost too (eventually), but drat all the other stats are rear end. And I have had her hit something like 128 speed by the end of CS2 without it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, so in the latest video, there was a come confusion about whether Crafts were "magic" or not. Magic usually refers to "orbal arts", which are always magic (ATS boosts, ADF resists). To keep it simple, trust the description about what it affects. If it says "attacks and crafts" it means all attacks and crafts. If it says "arts" it means all arts.

Crafts (and S-Crafts) are always non-elemental*, and will always count as crafts for the purposes of things which say they work on attacks and crafts, and the seal status effect. But certain Crafts (and S-Crafts) are labelled as "Magic Attack", which means they use the character's ATS stat to calculate their damage. (I am not sure if they use the target's DEF or ADF stat for the damage reduction part. I think they still use the DEF stat, but I'm not sure, I would need to run some tests. EDIT: It looks like "Magic Attack" crafts are resisted by a target's ADF stat.)

* (With exactly two exceptions, both for the same character in Sky the Third who had two different element-type S-Crafts.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 19, 2019

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Crafts (and S-Crafts) are always non-elemental*, and will always count as crafts for the purposes of things which say they work on attacks and crafts, and the seal status effect. But certain Crafts (and S-Crafts) are labelled as "Magic Attack", which means they use the character's ATS stat to calculate their damage. (I am not sure if they use the target's DEF or ADF stat for the damage reduction part. I think they still use the DEF stat, but I'm not sure, I would need to run some tests.)

Huh. I'd assumed that the "Magic Attack" crafts were defended by ADF (for no good reason, admittedly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. I'd assumed that the "Magic Attack" crafts were defended by ADF (for no good reason, admittedly).

They could be. I never really thought about it until now.

You're right, they are. I did some quick tests with a party of Jusis, Machias, Emma. With no debuffs, Ethereal Edge did damage into the 550-670 range. On the same enemy, -50% DEF didn't change those numbers noticeably, but -50% ADF consistently bumped the damage up to the 800-970 range.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 19, 2019