Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

...! posted:

The thing about PS4 downloads (and I don't know why this is the case, but it has been A Thing on the PSN even going back to the PS3 days) is that some of their individual download servers are really fast and others are really slow.

Which server you get connected to is completely random. If your download is going slowly, you can usually speed it up by pausing then unpausing the download, which forces the system to randomly select a server again. You'll immediately get a much faster server 90% of the time that you do this. The other 10% of the time, you'll have to do this three or four times before you finally hit the server jackpot.

Moral of the story: Slow PSN download = pause then unpause

Also, make sure your PS4 isn't trying to do other network actions at the same time.

The PS4 will limit download speeds and it doesn't crank them back up.

Or buy a Sony TV and a Sony Router. That solves all my network issues with the PS4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Or buy a Sony TV and a Sony Router. That solves all my network issues with the PS4!

:hmmyes:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, make sure your PS4 isn't trying to do other network actions at the same time.

The PS4 will limit download speeds and it doesn't crank them back up.

Not really related but Sony Tvs and PS4s do interact. Was dumb and used tv remote to when on the ps4s home menu and then realized it was working.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Ohtsam posted:

Not really related but Sony Tvs and PS4s do interact. Was dumb and used tv remote to when on the ps4s home menu and then realized it was working.

That's the HDMI-CEC standard at work, you don't need to match brands these days.

Chromecasts (barely) support it too, apparently - switching inputs automatically and play/pause buttons. But instead of pressing fast-forward on the same remote, you have to say to your nearby Google Home "Hey, Google, skip forward/back one minute on the Living Room TV" which is clearly more convenient. (Or, yes, use the device you're casting from.)

uvar fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 12, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

pixaal posted:

Really depends on what tech the SSDs are using, I have considerably faster load times on my NVMe drive compared to my old SSD. NVMe load times are crazy fast. I hope they don't neglect to put an M.2 port on new consoles.

there is functionally no difference to the end user in gaming performance between the two. maybe your old one was using SATA II or just sucked or something, but the read/write operations are just not long or sustained enough to really see a perceivable difference. they will almost certainly be pci-e drives though because they're almost at price parity.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So Google stadia advertised at the VGA (two or three ad spots) and they again emphasized the 4k and 60fps which by my count they haven't actually truly done that with a game yet, am I correct?

Also the commercial was just an old hippie dude yelling at another dude (I think that may be hostile apostle?) about what stadia can do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
FeedbackHow do you feel as a Stadia fan/supporter watching The Game Awards.... (self.Stadia)

submitted 2 hours ago by trza75

I feel sick .... lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Apparently none of the games that had trailers during the show elected to have Stadia logos on the title card along with the other consoles. Hahaha

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently none of the games that had trailers during the show elected to have Stadia logos on the title card along with the other consoles. Hahaha

Big Console is trying to strangle Stadia

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

limaCAT posted:

Since it's a bunch of servers in Google's data centers, technically Stadia is the BIGGEST console!

teraflops

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The new Xbox looks like it could be a welcome part of the stadia ecosystem

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

limaCAT posted:

Already part of the new excuse litany.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
"Stadia" is trending on Twitter in Australia and it seems to be almost entirely people complaining about how many ads they had in the Game Awards

https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/status/1205328317550718976

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

So Google stadia advertised at the VGA (two or three ad spots) and they again emphasized the 4k and 60fps which by my count they haven't actually truly done that with a game yet, am I correct?

Also the commercial was just an old hippie dude yelling at another dude (I think that may be hostile apostle?) about what stadia can do.

particularly funny given how much of their marketing has already pivoted away from this

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shadow puppet of a posted:

I don't want to play on a platform where I can interact with "founders" by accident.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No communication from Google? Impossible! Google is well known for it's open lines and timely communication from all departments.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
“Technically in early access” except the exact opposite lol.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Regrettable posted:

Blasphemy! Everyone knows that Star Citizen is the first true AAAA gaming experience.

this is FUD, everyone knows star citizen is triple AAA

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Truga posted:

this is FUD, everyone knows star citizen is triple AAA

Star Citizen is AAA cubed you drat Dreck Smart follower.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Wow, the general mood in the Stadia subreddit after the awards show turned to despair almost frighteningly quickly. They're starting to ask each other if Stadia is DOA.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair TGA was depressing regardless of which gaming platform you support. Devs aren't gonna be gungho about public support for Stadia for a while. Let's wait and see if Google has another press event before the public/free launch or it they're just gonna let it dangle in the wind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...! posted:

Wow, the general mood in the Stadia subreddit after the awards show turned to despair almost frighteningly quickly. They're starting to ask each other if Stadia is DOA.

Are Google still astro-turfing the subreddit with positive posts?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

...! posted:

I mean, sure, Stadia is a trashfire, but... Seriously, who gives a gently caress about TGA??? Stadia could have just skipped it entirely and it wouldn't matter.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean, sure, Stadia is a trashfire, but... Seriously, who gives a gently caress about TGA??? Stadia could have just skipped it entirely and it wouldn't matter.

Now we know that the audience for Stadia (well the Reddit posters at least) is the same audience that thinks gaming products need the approval of Dorito Pope to succeed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Who gives a gently caress about tga, this isn’t our audience??

Google: pays for and plays two terrible extremely long ad spots for stadia at the tga

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

uvar posted:

"Stadia" is trending on Twitter in Australia and it seems to be almost entirely people complaining about how many ads they had in the Game Awards

https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/status/1205328317550718976
Doesn't Australia have near-universal strict bandwidth caps?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Doesn't Australia have near-universal strict bandwidth caps?

Maybe... but they also get dicked over by every multiplayer game ever because "Oceania" servers always seem to be an afterthought for major online titles, requiring ozzies to connect to like Japanese or Chinese servers.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

I'm awestruck that they're still pitching 'fidelity' when it is so blindingly obvious that it doesn't even reach the fidelity of current gen competitors, let alone the next generation that's now entering the launch year hype cycle. Microsoft's 'convenience' pitch is obviously more sensible but I appreciate Google's commitment to the bit. Overpromise and underdeliver, I always say.

"We know Phil [Harrison] is on the board and so he has some kind of influence," a sentence seemingly uttered without irony in December Two Thousand and Ninteeen

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No.. kuz it's not Stadia lol if you think xcloud is Good

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm awestruck that they're still pitching 'fidelity' when it is so blindingly obvious that it doesn't even reach the fidelity of current gen competitors, let alone the next generation that's now entering the launch year hype cycle. Microsoft's 'convenience' pitch is obviously more sensible but I appreciate Google's commitment to the bit. Overpromise and underdeliver, I always say.

"We know Phil [Harrison] is on the board and so he has some kind of influence," a sentence seemingly uttered without irony in December Two Thousand and Ninteeen

There are many Stadia users who believe that the release of the new consoles is what will spur people to buy Stadias.

"When the new consoles are released, people will have to decide if they want to buy a PS5/Xbox or Stadia. They'll have to do the comparison. They'll see that Stadia is so superior (especially when it comes to graphics and price) that the idea of buying a PS5/Xbox is laughable. They'll switch to Stadia en masse. The mere notion of spending $500 on a console will quickly be seen as absurd. The release of the new consoles will be the demise of PlayStation and Xbox."

This is an extremely common sentiment expressed in the Stadia subreddit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

...! posted:

There are many Stadia users who believe that the release of the new consoles is what will spur people to buy Stadias.

"When the new consoles are released, people will have to decide if they want to buy a PS5/Xbox or Stadia. They'll have to do the comparison. They'll see that Stadia is so superior (especially when it comes to graphics and price) that the idea of buying a PS5/Xbox is laughable. They'll switch to Stadia en masse. The mere notion of spending $500 on a console will quickly be seen as absurd. The release of the new consoles will be the demise of PlayStation and Xbox."

This is an extremely common sentiment expressed in the Stadia subreddit.

Has anyone posted about how Stadia is superior because the Xbox Series X won't fit in their TV media center while a Chromecast Ultra does?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

That subreddit also like to vastly overstate the price of consoles.

"Stadia is a much better deal than people got during this gen when they bought a PS4 for $800. Then four years later they had to replace it with a PS4 Pro for another $800 - $1000. No one will pay obscene console prices anymore now that Stadia is here."

Yes, people have been throwing out numbers that are that inflated, as well as stating that everyone who bought a PS4 at launch also bought a Pro because reasons.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

people are gonna keep their ps4s for the first 1-2 years and then start buying consoles en masse once the games are out

i mean im sure there will be 10 million consumption addicted peopl ewho buy the consoles in the first year but in terms of the majority

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

...! posted:

That subreddit also like to vastly overstate the price of consoles.

"Stadia is a much better deal than people got during this gen when they bought a PS4 for $800. Then four years later they had to replace it with a PS4 Pro for another $800 - $1000. No one will pay obscene console prices anymore now that Stadia is here."

Yes, people have been throwing out numbers that are that inflated, as well as stating that everyone who bought a PS4 at launch also bought a Pro because reasons.

Where were people buying PS4 Pros for that price? I'm pretty sure I grabbed mine brand new off Amazon for like $380 or something and I don't think it was on sale. :thunk:

I remember PS2s going for crazy prices due to the shortage in the US on release, but that's about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought my PS4 as a refurb for $150 and all the AAA games were on sale for $20

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
These days you can easily get them new for as little as 320$, even. I don't think they were ever that expensive.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Series X has a somehow even dumber name than the One and looks like a rejected Mac Pro yet I'd sooner buy two of them than sign up for Stadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaodai posted:

Where were people buying PS4 Pros for that price? I'm pretty sure I grabbed mine brand new off Amazon for like $380 or something and I don't think it was on sale. :thunk:

I remember PS2s going for crazy prices due to the shortage in the US on release, but that's about it.

Lol no, PS4 original and PS4 pro were always $400 new. $500 for all Xbox One types.