Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The problem with Stadia pricing comes into play when you favor in the cost of internet tiers. I read one review where someone said they'd had to spend $50 a month extra just to get unlimited internet.

So yeah, I can spend $400 once, or $600 yearly to play Stadia. I think we all know what will happen.

Stadia will lead to more competitive internet pricing... No. I can't even pretend to say something that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Heyyy.... Stadia community.. So, uh, what's cool wtih you? Crazy week huh? IKR? Lol. So, uh, got any plans to see starwars? Peace out!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
don't forget to add us on Google Plus!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Courtesy of mrEkli on Discord, give the gift that keeps on giving you additional, "clearly white" footnotes:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

shadow puppet of a posted:

Heyyy.... Stadia community.. So, uh, what's cool wtih you? Crazy week huh? IKR? Lol. So, uh, got any plans to see starwars? Peace out!

wait are they just acknowledging that the NBA2K "bug" is ongoing?

what exactly is the "bug"? isn't the version that google has on their servers just out of date? and how is this still going on for weeks?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

charity rereg posted:

wait are they just acknowledging that the NBA2K "bug" is ongoing?

what exactly is the "bug"? isn't the version that google has on their servers just out of date? and how is this still going on for weeks?

yeah, I think that, because it is instance-based, everytime you play it has to do the patch first, because once you log out it wipes the instance and the patch with it.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Zaodai posted:

Courtesy of mrEkli on Discord, give the gift that keeps on giving you additional, "clearly white" footnotes:

I'm the addendum after every feature they list.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

holy lol is the NBA2k20 patching bug still not fixed?

It was funny when they hadn't fixed that more than a week after release, but TBF it was thanksgiving. They've now had 2 real weeks to do something about it, and all they can muster is "hey there this is your friend BRAND, how you doing?".

Cemetry Gator posted:

The problem with Stadia pricing comes into play when you favor in the cost of internet tiers. I read one review where someone said they'd had to spend $50 a month extra just to get unlimited internet.

It's been said that the people who Stadia was made for are the ones with google fiber... But google just cut out their cheaper plan for that, meaning that google fiber now costs an extra $20 a month.

($70 is still a great deal for 1 gbps internet, but still. Even in the most ideal case stadia now costs another $240 per year.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

yeah, I think that, because it is instance-based, everytime you play it has to do the patch first, because once you log out it wipes the instance and the patch with it.

There's a pretty substantial in-game-UI update that it force-does when you boot it up that updates teams and does some tweaks. Actually takes a while the first time you do it, and because of how NBA 2K20 is setup it has to re-download it all each time you fire it up.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

hahaha i see why they call themselves the Penny arcade haha!!

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Klyith posted:

holy lol is the NBA2k20 patching bug still not fixed?

It was funny when they hadn't fixed that more than a week after release, but TBF it was thanksgiving. They've now had 2 real weeks to do something about it, and all they can muster is "hey there this is your friend BRAND, how you doing?".

They're at the mercy of 2k unfortunately

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

lol how could you know that? unless...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

lmfao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

UnknownTarget posted:

I'm the addendum after every feature they list.

lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please, oh wise apostle, explain to me how 2K is responsible for the version of NBA2K that's installed on the Stadia servers not being updated to the latest version until after users start the game.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Apparently people are having overheating issues on the stadia subreddit more often now:

quote:

I have had zero issues until today but no matter what game I play this is what I see.

FYI the Chromecast Ultra I very hot.

another one:

quote:

My CCU was toasted a few days ago. Contacted google support. They told me they would send me a new one. After 3 days I heard nothing and contacted them again. I am then told that they cancelled it, but they don't know why.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Umm. Extremely ignorant phone posting. Maybe 2k didn't have a version a Stadia server was designed to deploy? It's Linux correct?

That said, the fact that Google did not forsee this or rush to fix is embarrassing.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Because thats what the rep on the subreddit has communicated

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e285ic/just_saw_this_playing_on_stadia_wtf_2k/f8u6d2z/?context=3

Lots of sports games have roster updates. I imagine NBA 2K is managing the roster updates through save files, which will be problematic when the instance is wiped each time. Wild guess but they probably didn't configure Stadia saves to include these roster updates.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 13, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Now whenever limaCAT posts the countdown I'm going to read it as the number of days until a J-horror girl crawls out of all the founders' phones and TVs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Celexi posted:

Apparently people are having overheating issues on the stadia subreddit more often now:

Hi there, just a reminder that this isn't actually happening and that everything is great. Ok? Just a reminder thanks. Loving my Stadia here at the bus to the hotel's airport terminal bathroom basement lounge's free wifi, ok thaaanks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mine is working fine over here. Buttery smooth and can't even notice any lag, looks better than my PS4 too.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Crazy that no PS4 has ever failed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

Crazy that no PS4 has ever failed

[insanely normal voice im struggling to keep composure of as my large brain sags over my eyes rendering me unable to look upwards] sure, this box that only displays videos overheats which is a problem no other streaming stick has ever had in the history of the planet, but consider the inevitability of mechanical failure

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Correlation is not causation

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Klyith posted:

($70 is still a great deal for 1 gbps internet, but still. )

That's the exact price AT&T offer it for... and there are more options locations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

:cheers:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Celexi posted:

another one:

In case anyone was wondering what the target market for Stadia actually is, that small fan in the corner costs over $300

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Fallom posted:

In case anyone was wondering what the target market for Stadia actually is, that small fan in the corner costs over $300

techbros?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

and yet the chromecast still overheated

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Top post on /r/Stadia right now after google trips over black friday, pulls all discounts, is ignored by the industry at their biggest PR night and claims their dog ate their homework after their forced & failed weekly confessional.

Its time to LEAVE BRITTNEY ALONE!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Never understood why people needed to latch onto a brand for validation and identity.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Shumagorath posted:

Now whenever limaCAT posts the countdown I'm going to read it as the number of days until a J-horror girl crawls out of all the founders' phones and TVs.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

We may never know since Google will kill this early as it did to tons of other products.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Top post on /r/Stadia right now after google trips over black friday, pulls all discounts, is ignored by the industry at their biggest PR night and claims their dog ate their homework after their forced & failed weekly confessional.

Compaining? :raise:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I only have 6 meg DSL because i can't afford the higher tier stuff and there are limited options, but Stadia is working surprisingly well. I don't live in a big city either so I'm super impressed. A few of my co-workers and friends have seen me stage a demo and most of them seem interested as well.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Never understood why people needed to latch onto a brand for validation and identity.

Sounds like someone's not part of the tribe.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The great part is now I can use my Chromecast as a loving branding iron and sear the chrome logo straight into my goddamn skin, it's like fight club but with a lovely hockey puck instead of lye soap.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

boo_radley posted:

The great part is now I can use my Chromecast as a loving branding iron and sear the chrome logo straight into my goddamn skin, it's like fight club but with a lovely hockey puck instead of lye soap.

His name is stadia sadianson

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Cavauro posted:

I only have 6 meg DSL because i can't afford the higher tier stuff and there are limited options, but Stadia is working surprisingly well. I don't live in a big city either so I'm super impressed. A few of my co-workers and friends have seen me stage a demo and most of them seem interested as well.

Lmao i love Reddit posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Stadia founders

(the second word there was a verb)