Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope this time it actually adapts the manga instead of changing a bunch of things like the first season. It wasn't terrible but every change it made only hurt the end-product and caused some really obvious plot holes.

I also hope this Shin Ultraman doesn't beat you over the head with YEARS AND YEARS OF LORE because god, Ultraman is just completely impossible to get into for me as it is right now. Every time I try, there's just a bunch of legend forms as if I was watching an even more extreme version of an anniversary Kamen Rider.

I'm also super hyped for more SSSStuff. SSSS.Gridman was super good and more like that? I'm up for it, always.

Did the manga also completely lack heroes growing to colossal scale? That really annoyed me about the Netflix show (and I haven't even watched any normal Ultraman, it just seemed super disrespectful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shin Ultraman and original Ultraman maquette

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trogglodyte posted:

While it clearly takes cues from the Type A suit (the same one that Anno was terrified of when he was younger), it's actually not based on any specific version of the Shodai's suit, and instead is based on the original concept design for Ultraman, by painter Touru Narita. The designer wanted to "bring the painting works to life," and as such are basing the designs off of the original painting - meaning no Color Timer or eyeholes.

That's actually what I was referring to- the idealized version of the Suit A, since the color timer was a last minute addition thrown on against the designer's wishes.

Funnily enough I was just reading up on that earlier today while looking over Ultraman stuff. Did NOT expect it to come back so immediately

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wonder Festival ahas been... expensive.

I even got a resin kit of Ultraman Max’s space cat that farts and gives you amnesia :haw:

The Three Zero Dark Baltan is loving AMAZING in person. I might have to pre order it :stonk:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I even got a resin kit of Ultraman Max’s space cat that farts and gives you amnesia :haw:

His what that does what :psyduck:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

His what that does what :psyduck:

If you know who Takeshi Miike is

That's one of his two episodes he directed for Ultraman Max

Also god *drat* you for showing me that Baltan figure

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

His space cat. It was an episode that Takashi Miike did. This weird space cat makes farts that give Max amnesia. 🐈 💨

It’s super funny but in the end is actually sad because Max doesn’t remember having a space cat and Miike (the cat) is heartbroken because his master has forgotten him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

If you know who Takeshi Miike is
I don't think I do, at least not off the top of my head, but I think I would like to. I am okay with this level of juvenile humor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't think I do, at least not off the top of my head, but I think I would like to. I am okay with this level of juvenile humor.

Uh

Um

Okay. Do you know what the Japanese film Audition is? Because that's...or Ichi the Killer...or Zebraman

Zebraman might be my favorite movie he's done. It's so good I forgive him for Zebraman 2

But what I'm trying to say is, Takashi Miike is an amazing director of an incredibly varied and colorful career. Also what Gatos is saying is uh...mildly accurate. The other episode he did of Ultraman Max is almost heart breakingly beautiful with some gorgeous effects and an ending that you have to be all in on to accept and love.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm familiar with Ichi, peripherally. I've never actually seen it but I know what happens in it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Takashi Miike is an interesting creator and I love him. Also, he's in No More Heroes 2. As in, as himself, speaking his own English lines. He gives you the best weapon in the game and then leaves.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just watched the New Generation Heroes Ultraman Zero 10th Anniversary stage show and holy poo poo it was amazing to see all the actors from so many shows as well as their Ultras and there was lots of jokes, action, and sing alongs.

No photos allowed :/

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Blaze Dragon posted:

I also hope this Shin Ultraman doesn't beat you over the head with YEARS AND YEARS OF LORE because god, Ultraman is just completely impossible to get into for me as it is right now. Every time I try, there's just a bunch of legend forms as if I was watching an even more extreme version of an anniversary Kamen Rider.

I mean, did Shin Godzilla do that? Because more than likely Shin Ultraman is going to be the story of how humanity, when presented with existential threats beyond their imagination that they are protected from almost exclusively through the enigmatic beneficence of a strange alien visitor, need to figure their poo poo out and grow up so they can take care of themselves.

So, Ultraman the TV show in fast forward, essentially.

That being said, regular rear end TV Ultraman could probably ease off of the "Every power up is an homage to a previous Ultra" thing. Rider is still the most popular and it gets by fine with just having extra-canonical, outside of stuff like Zio and Decade or TV-kun specials.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

King of Solomon posted:

Did the manga also completely lack heroes growing to colossal scale? That really annoyed me about the Netflix show (and I haven't even watched any normal Ultraman, it just seemed super disrespectful)

I've only read the first four volumes of the manga but so far yeah the Ultramans have been person sized.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

How is them not being giant disrespectful? Genuinely asking.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not sure about the disrespectful part but typically Ultraman fights are almost exclusively done in giant form (though there have been a few rare exceptions over the years as I recall).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It felt like one of those adaptations that tried to trade in the name while tossing aside anything that makes the original series unique. :shrug:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

King of Solomon posted:

It felt like one of those adaptations that tried to trade in the name while tossing aside anything that makes the original series unique. :shrug:

It's partially due to that manga having it's roots in an unofficial Kamen Rider manga the guy was doing that got DCMA'd by Toei, very shortly afterwards Tsuburaya got in contact with him to discuss him doing an Ultraman manga, as for why there's so many things different about it from the main franchise, well there's a bunch of different reasons for that, some of it is him recycling unused ideas from his previous manga, some of it was from Tsuburaya being uncertain of how well it would do so they had him keep a lot of the direct connections be at a minimum to avoid potentially tarnishing the brand if it failed, and some of it I've heard was to avoid any potential legal issues with Chaiyo(as the legal battles with them were still raging strong at the time it started) by making it reasonably distinct from the regular stuff(kinda telling that they didn't dust off Gridman till after that mess was resolved)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

It's partially due to that manga having it's roots in an unofficial Kamen Rider manga the guy was doing that got DCMA'd by Toei, very shortly afterwards Tsuburaya got in contact with him to discuss him doing an Ultraman manga, as for why there's so many things different about it from the main franchise, well there's a bunch of different reasons for that, some of it is him recycling unused ideas from his previous manga, some of it was from Tsuburaya being uncertain of how well it would do so they had him keep a lot of the direct connections be at a minimum to avoid potentially tarnishing the brand if it failed, and some of it I've heard was to avoid any potential legal issues with Chaiyo(as the legal battles with them were still raging strong at the time it started) by making it reasonably distinct from the regular stuff(kinda telling that they didn't dust off Gridman till after that mess was resolved)

Ahhh, that explains a lot. I'll probably have a better time with S2 with this context in mind.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That explains a lot about the manga/show, actually. I'd wondered about some of the changes, myself; thanks for the explanation!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Trogglodyte posted:

Given the last frame, seems to be that a central fixture of Dynazenon is the Dyna Dragon, which was used to make Thunder Gridman. I wonder if Gridsy himself'll be getting it, or if Anti will.

Are all of Gridman's monster designs this loving sweet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1205809567260479490

Here's staff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Are all of Gridman's monster designs this loving sweet?

Yes

Almost every single one. Gridman has some beautiful goddamn suits.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just watched the New Generation Heroes Ultraman Zero 10th Anniversary stage show and holy poo poo it was amazing to see all the actors from so many shows as well as their Ultras and there was lots of jokes, action, and sing alongs.

No photos allowed :/

How well did live-action Jonias and live action Titus hold up?

Did Colossal Space Garbage Beast Urr make the show?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years!"

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
They chose the best image to promote Shin Ultra with, seriously. Most other toku products trying to bill themselves really high generally go for some kind of dynamic shot to show things off. Instead, they just have a good and eerie shot of Shodai standing at what is most likely the same lake where he fights Bemular, without any fanfare. It, in my eyes, properly recaptures the tone of the original show. All I can hope for are the sound effects are just as good and slightly creepy as the original, and that we can see his teeth similar to how Furuya's were visible in the A-Type suit. A consistent showing of creepy visuals would make for a good contrast to the key idea of the film being to represent "the incarnation of truth, justice, and beauty" as the Nariaki painting is titled and Anno was inspired by.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That’s the one picture they showed at the announcement yesterday.

I’m going to hang out with Takao Nakano today, who wrote the most recent Taiga as well as many other great episodes. He also made the amazing movie Rug Cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwEeW73gVhA

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

How well did live-action Jonias and live action Titus hold up?

Did Colossal Space Garbage Beast Urr make the show?

Jonias was at the event I went to in August, Titus was here and was great. The Kaiju fights were really short, it was mostly interactions of all the New Generation heroes themselves which was loving great. Orb and Leito’s actors were super good working off each other especially.

Also:

https://twitter.com/kaiju_sommelier/status/1205951907694428160

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
There's a lot of really dumb winter movie monster designs over the years, but it's gonna be hard to top "The original Kamen Rider as a freakish monstrous antithesis of himself, who is also half-motorcycle in the same way a centaur is half-horse."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Trogglodyte posted:

There's a lot of really dumb winter movie monster designs over the years, but it's gonna be hard to top "The original Kamen Rider as a freakish monstrous antithesis of himself, who is also half-motorcycle in the same way a centaur is half-horse."

Zi-O may have been stupid and bad (if fun in its badness) but the Another Riders are one of the best groups of monsters we've ever gotten and I can't think of a single one I disliked, and that one is most definitely not the first (even if it is The First).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I saw the 8 New Generations Ultra Stars earlier where they announced the Ultraman Taiga movie, which will have ALL of the New Generation Ultras in it! It involves Taro coming to earth and he’s been taken over by the evil and kick’s Taiga’s rear end. It’s up to all of the New Generation heroes to stop Bad Dad Taro! this is the end of the New Generation stars.

I’m now at the final Tsubu Con event, a dinner party with the original Showa Era stars from Ultraman, Ultra Seven, Return of Ultraman, and Ultraman Ace. People are eating now but the event with the guests will start shortly. It’s been a dream weekend!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Trogglodyte posted:

isn't that basically the ending of Mechanical Violator Hakaider?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If there's one thing I enjoy about Ganbarizing, is it showing theoretical forms like this. We'll never get them in the series but at least we can see them in action anyways...even if they put the bare minimum effort and reuse animations on models that may react badly to them, giving us this kind of really off Dragon Rider Kick from Gaim...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsE5wpLPNIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBhN810628

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp I saw my childhood heroes, there was a special appearance by Ryu Manatsu (Ultraman Leo) and I got a gentle high five from Ace himself, Keiji Takamine. It’s been a great convention!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am completely unapologetic for my goddamned love of Ultraman.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Nor should you be :rock:

E: I forget if I've asked before but as someone with only peripheral knowledge of Ultraman, what would be a good series to start with to get into it?

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 15, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Zi-O may have been stupid and bad (if fun in its badness) but the Another Riders are one of the best groups of monsters we've ever gotten and I can't think of a single one I disliked, and that one is most definitely not the first (even if it is The First).

Agreed. I can’t stand Zi-O’s nonexistent plot and dumb characters, but the Another Riders were great designs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Nor should you be :rock:

E: I forget if I've asked before but as someone with only peripheral knowledge of Ultraman, what would be a good series to start with to get into it?

Modern era, X or Orb

X and Orb are both very stand alone, very safe and fun shows. Orb is probably the better of the two thanks to having better villains, Juggler owns that show, but has worse side characters.

Mebius is a great starter pack if you want to tip toe back a few steps and get introduced to the original time line in a smart way. The crossover stuff is done better than Sentai's ever managed it, and it's done such that new viewers will do just fine with it.

If you want to jump in to the insanity first thing, Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle The Movie is a fantastic place to go all in at. You've got Heisei Ultras, Showa Ultras, Belial, Zero, Gomora, the works. It started a mini arc of stories that continued all the way to Geed, off and on.

If you have a taste for the old school, the 1966 original still holds up to this day by and large. It's more Kaiju Stuff than modern Ultra tends to be, with each episode being its own 20 minute kaiju/alien invasion movie, but it's a great time with a lot of creativity and passion put into every episode.

Almost every episode.

Pestar required anti-passion to make.

Ultraman Max is not a bad place to start either. It's effectively a soft anthology show for different creators and directors to take a shot at a kind of generic Ultraman setting, so none of the characters are stand outs and there is zero over all plot, but individual episodes are amazing and some really go beyond what you'd expect from a toku series. It's a rough show to try and marathon because of how anti-serialized it is, but if you don't mind that... That's also a show that you can absolutely just skip around on. Find an episode guide and see what appeals to you and go there. You will miss nothing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked the ultra series that had Beat Takeshi do a few episodes. Was that Max?

I also loved Nexus because it leaned into that too grim for kids but too cheesy for adults lates 90/early 00s Toku vibe.

Modern stuff is Orb all the way. There’s a main series and two miniseries that are both very fun to watch. I also like Geed but it kinda peters out storyline wise but has a delightful cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

R/B was ok but sort of wasted a lot of its potential (getting rid of Aizen as early as they did was a mistake in my opinion).

The current series Taiga is pretty good as well though and I like the concept of the main hero being multiple different Ultramen in one body (also GenmCorp has subbed the series up to episode 19 last I checked).