Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grakkus posted:

The absolute worst part for me is that everyone is just talking about the economics of the situation, but the EU actually has another, more important function. That of maintaining peace and stability, which it has done successfully for the most part since it's inception. Being part of a greater whole gives a sense of unity that is subtle but important. There have been no wars inside the EU, which we can all agree is a pretty drastic change from the first half of the 20th century. As someone with strong connections to Poland and who knows how it was there in the late 80s and 90s (not to mention the huge scars the country still has today) it's pretty loving obvious to me that peace isn't something that should be taken for granted. I also have zero doubt that Brexit is being supported by the Russians in the same way as Trump is, as a destabilised, fractured West is something that benefits them more than anything else.

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

As a Canadian watching the FPTP once again turn strategic voting into a majority for the person who can command the biggest minority, I take the latest sign that the system is in critical need of reform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The only way the FPTP system in Canada will be reformed is in a minority parliament and the government is literally forced to do it, kicking and screaming the whole way. No way would any major party, CPC, Liberal do it. It would totally go against their own self interests and that is why the blatant liar Trudeau who so strongly campaigned on doing so his first mandate decided "Whelp! I know I promised this and sounded great but can't because of...... ~runs away, slams door, starts car, peels out of driveway~" :v:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 15, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

This is a stupid argument, no offense, cuz it's got nothing to do with Corbyn specifically and everything to do with the fact that hes the current leader of the labour party.
Ehhhh... it kind of ties together. I think if you had anyone else as the leader of Labour as they are right now, yes, they'd be no more appealing, but it's the same people in Labour who really want Corbyn in charge who set the tone and direction of the party as a whole.

My view is that "Corbyn" is effectively shorthand for "the Labour party in its current Corbyn-helmet incarnation" when such things are being discussed.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Darchangel posted:

Edit: why, yes, I *do* own a rotary. Several in fact. Why do you ask?

What percentage are in a running condition at any one time?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

Ehhhh... it kind of ties together. I think if you had anyone else as the leader of Labour as they are right now, yes, they'd be no more appealing, but it's the same people in Labour who really want Corbyn in charge who set the tone and direction of the party as a whole.

My view is that "Corbyn" is effectively shorthand for "the Labour party in its current Corbyn-helmet incarnation" when such things are being discussed.

Im not sure what you think the labour party needs to do to address this issue

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

freelop posted:

When I had my rotaries I managed a pretty consistent 66% running rate

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

As of an hour ago, and in the words of the "wise" Scott Weiland: I'm half the man I used to be.

It's going to be a fun weekend of trying to avoid kids crawling all over me and hiding in the basement for periods of time. Maybe I'll even try and finish throwing together my new pc I've been building.

Rotate some ice packs and chill out, you’re going to be sore for a while so don’t over-do it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

Im not sure what you think the labour party needs to do to address this issue
Well, what I wanted from them was a strong anti-Brexit stance. I don't know what everyone else wanted, but Thursday's answer was a resounding "not this".

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tremek posted:

Rotate some ice packs and chill out, you’re going to be sore for a while so don’t over-do it.

That's the plan. 3 of the 4 kids are at the in-laws for tonight, currently sitting in the basement playing games with an ice pack. So far, doing pretty ok. Was hurting a bit earlier, but the ice and some ibuprofen have knocked that out.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Thanks for the tips on what to do in Scotland - got back this week and already scheduled a trip to Ireland with the girl I was with. We got together rather well so I have high hopes for 2020.

We had an Toyota Aygo as a rental and honestly I had no idea that it only had 72 hp, it could keep up with the traffic quite well. It had no rest for the clutch leg tho, which was super annoying.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Beverly Cleavage posted:

currently sitting in the basement playing games with an ice pack.

Let us know who wins

:dadjoke:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Beverly Cleavage posted:

That's the plan. 3 of the 4 kids are at the in-laws for tonight, currently sitting in the basement playing games with an ice pack. So far, doing pretty ok. Was hurting a bit earlier, but the ice and some ibuprofen have knocked that out.

I figured I'd be fine without a jock strap afterwards but it probably would have helped in hindsight. Any time I was vertical it was painful. Luckily it only lasts a few days. GL

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Well, what I wanted from them was a strong anti-Brexit stance. I don't know what everyone else wanted, but Thursday's answer was a resounding "not this".

If all you care about was stopping Brexit the Lib Dems would have loved to have you though didnt seem to do them much good.

labour grossly overestimated its traditional working class base because when the two options on the table were "help the working class" and "racism" they voted overwhelmingly for racism

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Massive reorganization effort in the garage today due to another car purchase yesterday.

Before

During

After

And then the boy printed me out a new keychain for the new car

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

As of an hour ago, and in the words of the "wise" Scott Weiland: I'm half the man I used to be.

It's going to be a fun weekend of trying to avoid kids crawling all over me and hiding in the basement for periods of time. Maybe I'll even try and finish throwing together my new pc I've been building.

Nice. I’ll make the call for the appointment this week now that the week of hell is over and caught up with work.

Speaking of ball aches; who has watched The Grand Tour’s new release of Seamen? :thejoke: I started it last night and finished it today. Those guys are the best. I also watched chapter 6 of the Mandalorian and holy balls that show rules.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

fridge corn posted:

labour grossly overestimated its traditional working class base because when the two options on the table were "help the working class" and "racism" they voted overwhelmingly for racism

This is such an excellent summary of the situation. I'm stealing it, sorry not sorry

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice Si Hatch, wanna sell it? :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

If all you care about was stopping Brexit the Lib Dems would have loved to have you though didnt seem to do them much good.

Guilty as charged, I voted Lib Dem because they're the only party I could concientiously vote for based on what they were presenting me with.

And no, it didn't do them any good, though "fortunately" because I'm in a Labour stronghold.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

The only way the FPTP system in Canada will be reformed is in a minority parliament and the government is literally forced to do it, kicking and screaming the whole way. No way would any major party, CPC, Liberal do it. It would totally go against their own self interests and that is why the blatant liar Trudeau who so strongly campaigned on doing so his first mandate decided "Whelp! I know I promised this and sounded great but can't because of...... ~runs away, slams door, starts car, peels out of driveway~" :v:

True. Like so many things in the fed, poo poo's broken, but the only people who can fix it are also the only people who benefit.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Dagen H posted:

Let us know who wins

:dadjoke:

Thank god, the ice is winning.

Suburban Dad posted:

I figured I'd be fine without a jock strap afterwards but it probably would have helped in hindsight. Any time I was vertical it was painful. Luckily it only lasts a few days. GL

Yes. Picked one up on the way to the appt.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nice. I’ll make the call for the appointment this week now that the week of hell is over and caught up with work.

Yeah, definitely glad we arranged things the way we did. Though we now have 6 weeks to finish up packing the house to get ready to sell it.. soooo, that'll be interesting.

On the lighter end of things, my wife is hilarious:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I just spent the main part of my afternoon figuring out the rear brakes of my 2006 Passat.

Rear brakes shouldn't take that long. :colbert:

Electronic parking brakes should not be a thing.

Needing to hook a computer up to a car to change the rear brakes should not be a thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jesus Christ, my brother is back in the UK and introduced me to Taiwanese moonshine (admittedly after we'd already been out for several drinks.)

I'm built like a brick shithouse and it's still noticeably hitting me. This is some proper "we allow it because it blunts the workers' tendency to insurrection" poo poo.

meatpimp posted:

I just spent the main part of my afternoon figuring out the rear brakes of my 2006 Passat.

Rear brakes shouldn't take that long. :colbert:

Electronic parking brakes should not be a thing.

Needing to hook a computer up to a car to change the rear brakes should not be a thing.
What's that, Skippy? E-handbrakes are bullshit? No, I'm told on great authority they're really wonderful, clearly you're mistaken...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice Si Hatch, wanna sell it? :v:

But but but I just got it!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
my F150 has an electronic parking brake
It's fine I guess because it's not like I was gonna mash the parking brake pedal to pull a sweet drift anyway.

I do still go to stomp the parking brake sometimes and almost fall out of my seat before I realize it's a button.
Then again I do that for the clutch pedal that doesn't exist too... I haven't had a clutch pedal in like 9 years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm particularly fond of the manual release required for the Avensis electronic parking brake:

rotate release tool 600 revolutions

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slidebite posted:

I know you're joking, but I genuinely haven't thought of her that way.

Of course. I was just marveling at how nobody else said it. Back in the day there would have been at least 4 people making that joke. Then again, when I joined SA my daughter was 3.

Changing the subject but not, my daughter is now 17 and applying for college. She got waitlisted for her #1 choice and was seriously bummed about it, but over the rest of the week she got accepted to her second, third, and fifth choice schools. That really cheered her up, and I have no doubt she'll get accepted everywhere she applied. I'm super proud, she's got a 5.02 weighted GPA which puts her 19th in her class of 260.

The third choice school already offered her $27k a year in scholarships. I was excited but then I looked it up - that's about half of the total cost. We're really hoping for more scholarships because without them, no matter where she goes, she's going to have over $100k in loans after graduating. It's seriously depressing.

But thank god for the loving SPACE FORCE. Where are all the loving conservatives bitching about how we're going to pay for that?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm particularly fond of the manual release required for the Avensis electronic parking brake:

rotate release tool 600 revolutions

That one at least is inside the boot, on the mid 10's Subaru legacy you lay on the ground with a long hand crank stick that you've inserted into the underbody and you count to 200 or 300, can't remember. Don't get it wrong because apparently you can damage something if you do.

Admittedly it's not 600, but still...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LloydDobler posted:

My daughter is now 17 and applying for college.
NOPE.

She's like 6, and still helps you with reaching car parts that are too tight for you to get your hands into

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 15, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

When I joined SA I didn’t even have kids. Now my older son is about to turn 14; he’s 5’10” and learned to drive stick when he was 9. My younger son is in sixth grade already! Where does the time go?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

That one at least is inside the boot, on the mid 10's Subaru legacy you lay on the ground with a long hand crank stick that you've inserted into the underbody and you count to 200 or 300, can't remember. Don't get it wrong because apparently you can damage something if you do.

Admittedly it's not 600, but still...

As a 2011 Legacy owner, I had no idea what you're talking about so I just read it. Sounds like a pain in the rear end and I have no idea what the special "tool" is?
ee: Guess its in the factory tool kit. I'll have to pull the spare and see what it is out of curiosity of nothing else

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 15, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

When I joined SA I didn’t even have kids. Now my older son is about to turn 14; he’s 5’10” and learned to drive stick when he was 9. My younger son is in sixth grade already! Where does the time go?

So he's like 11 and you still have him driving an automatic?? smh

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

taqueso posted:

When I was that age, I could already drive stick, initiate a slide with the handbrake, and catch it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thought we drank a lot of milk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the lady from the math problems!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Don't let her near your fuckin apples

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

taqueso posted:

He just turned 10 and has no interest in cars unfortunately.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

freelop posted:

Currently, zero. So, situation normal. It was about 15%, but I sold the running one.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Could use some hive mind advice.

So, I am 95% sure a 17-18 year old young woman in my martial arts class has a crush on me. I can get into the how I know if needed, but suffice to say I am pretty confident.

I am pretty sure I know why - I talk to her like an adult and joke a bit. In other words, pay attention to her treat her like the young adult she is and not a child.

Her parents are not young considering her age (if I had to guess, early/mid 60s?) and seem fairly protective. I think she may be fairly sheltered (I know she lives on an acreage outside of town) and doesn't get out tons. I wouldn't be surprised if she might have a bit of a thing for older men because of her fathers age.. but that's just a total guess. I am in my mid 40s. And married, which I am pretty sure she knows.

Should I just let it run its course and let her grow out of it totally on her own and continue as normal? Or should I maybe actively avoid interacting with her unless necessary?

I don't want actively shun her or anything, it's not like she's done anything outwardly wrong or made anything awkward in class. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't either, she's a good person and quite mature, but I certainly don't want her to think I can reciprocate anything.

I'm leaning towards to just keep going as normal and let her grow out of it on her own, but maybe make sure I'm not saying/doing anything that could easily be taken as some other signal... which is kind of what I've been doing all along but maybe be extra careful?

Thoughts? I've never been is a position like this before. Should I even care?

Ding Ding Ding

When your raised by older people or socialized around them, especially in context of being sheltered she is seeing you in very different way. This is part of my bad socialization and cause of some of my goony issues.

Basically she interacts with much older people and has internalized them as adults or authority figures. You dont resemble them thus she shunting you into a group more akin to peers.

I in my late 20's i took a community college class with highschool students auditing and the rules I followed were basicaly.

on school grounds were are peers. But no texting social media, socializing outside of school grounds.

gently caress my friends little sister is in her early 20's and when ever we meet up we both get looks. She been mistaken for 14 before.

Anyway my advice is just lean into your paternal instincts be friendly in person, no no no social media interaction or texting because even if its innocent it can look bad. It will run its course.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

On the lighter end of things, my wife is hilarious:

:golfclap:

InitialDave posted:

When I was that age, I could already drive stick, initiate a slide with the handbrake, and catch it.

A friend tried to teach me how to drive stick when I was 17 or so in a 60s VW. It didn't go well. My GF then tried to teach me at 18 in her Nissan Hardbody, it went equally as bad.

So when I turned 19, I went out and bought a beat up Accord with a manual and had to get it home... during rush hour. Trial by motherfucking fire right there. And to date, I've only worn out one clutch (no telling how many miles were on the clutch, or even that Accord, I know the odometer had been rolled back at least 60k). It took a couple of years, but it was slipping a bit when it got stolen (and would barely move after the cops found it). Blew up a couple of gearboxes, but the clutches still had a decent amount of material left (half the springs were broken on one... oops).

Figured out handbrake slides pretty quick after getting the Accord though!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then again I do that for the clutch pedal that doesn't exist too... I haven't had a clutch pedal in like 9 years.

Every time I drive my GF's car, I sit there wondering why it won't start. EVERY. loving. TIME. It takes about 30 seconds before a light bulb goes off and I realize "you need to step on the clutch to start it, idiot".

Then when I get back in my car, I shove my left foot through the firewall for the next day or so.

:downsgun:

(incidentally, this is the same GF I had at 18... we broke up when I moved to Dallas, then somehow hooked back up last year, but we all know how well that's going).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I broke the DM’s undead dragon this afternoon with hypnotic pattern. It got close to the ground, apparently it wasn’t immune to charm, and you miss all the shots you don’t take. I do feel a little bad though.

Oh and this AM I picked up the S65 from the ceramic place, and brought my rottie home from my dad’s where he’s been healing since ACL surgery after the fire. Now letting my kids run around at an indoor Nerf battle. Not a bad day

Tremek fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 15, 2019