Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hostile apostle posted:

They're at the mercy of 2k unfortunately

A critical misstep. They will soon discover that 2k has no mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Soricidus posted:

Stadia founders

(the second word there was a verb)
:golfclap:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

They're at the mercy of 2k unfortunately

hostile apostle posted:

Wild guess but they probably didn't configure Stadia saves to include these roster updates.

So what that's saying is Google doesn't any standards for their platform, they are so desperate to have a less-pathetic library that they will allow totally broken games to be sold. And that their promises of no patches and a new platform that would unlock superior gaming with empowered developers were all just "maybe, if other people feel like doing the work"?

You know, this is starting to remind me of something.

Oh poo poo...

IT'S ME AUSTIN!

IT WAS OUYA ALL ALONG!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Klyith posted:

So what that's saying is Google doesn't any standards for their platform, they are so desperate to have a less-pathetic library that they will allow totally broken games to be sold.
TBH I expect someone to sue Google for false advertising. "Play your favorite games without a console!" they say

You can't actually play most of those games on Stadia, but they promise you'll be able to in the future.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gobbeldygook posted:

Doesn't Australia have near-universal strict bandwidth caps?

No, we have plans available with unlimited bandwidth with most providers.

What fucks up things like streamed gaming is the NBN having been a cheap shitshow and loving over a lot of areas with Fibre to the Node. With the Node in question being far enough away that the copper between there and your home being a bottleneck. Thankfully they've started using a newer method for newer rollouts (Fibre to the Curb) that's just running fibre all the way to the streets outside homes, and copper from there (which is far more reasonable).

That doesn't help regional areas getting satellite or wireless internet though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

Because thats what the rep on the subreddit has communicated

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e285ic/just_saw_this_playing_on_stadia_wtf_2k/f8u6d2z/?context=3

Lots of sports games have roster updates. I imagine NBA 2K is managing the roster updates through save files, which will be problematic when the instance is wiped each time. Wild guess but they probably didn't configure Stadia saves to include these roster updates.

Right, but Google is the one running the Stadia platform.

They are the ones who determine the rules of the road and how things should work. Games needing patches and updates is hardly a new thing. This is basic 101 stuff, not some weird unforeseen issue that is really 2K's fault. Google should have documented how things are supposed to work and ensure that content providers are meeting those standards, but they didn't.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

At this point I feel like the people in the Stadia department are just running out the clock on this gig until they get an opportunity to move to another office somewhere within the company.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ErrEff posted:

At this point I feel like the people in the Stadia department are just running out the clock on this gig until they get an opportunity to move to another office somewhere within the company.

One really screwed up thing with Google's structure is that unless you're in search or ads you're incentivized to work on a new product and then immediately move somewhere else leaving someone else to maintain it. Its a big reason why they kill stuff off so often because usually there is no one internally actually advocating for it anymore since maintaining and growing a product after launch doesn't increase your "impact" nearly as much as launching one as far as promotions are concerned.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Never understood why people needed to latch onto a brand for validation and identity.

Issues of insecurity, I would imagine.

Edit: speaking of insecurity, I wonder if Stadia is going to get hacked at some point. It could give a half decent amount of info for scammers/phishers to target.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 14, 2019

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

UnknownTarget posted:

I'm the addendum after every feature they list.

:same:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaodai posted:

Courtesy of mrEkli on Discord, give the gift that keeps on giving you additional, "clearly white" footnotes:

1 Provided the Service lasts three months
2 We probably cheaped out on the plastic, so it's about as white as it can get for the price.
3 Because it burned out the one you already owned while trying the beta.
4 "Up to 4K" technically includes the 720p it actually streams at, so it's not wrong.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ohtsam posted:

One really screwed up thing with Google's structure is that unless you're in search or ads you're incentivized to work on a new product and then immediately move somewhere else leaving someone else to maintain it. Its a big reason why they kill stuff off so often because usually there is no one internally actually advocating for it anymore since maintaining and growing a product after launch doesn't increase your "impact" nearly as much as launching one as far as promotions are concerned.

Google needs to rescale its workforce so its 30% staffed out of idaho, montana, wyoming and the dakotas where people are inborn with notions of working 9 weeks to maintain 400km of cattle or ostrich ranch fencing. Good honest folk that experience winter and happy just to be indoors with a mug of hot coco reviewing code from as far back, as, *gasp* 2016.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So google's entire internal structure is based on failing upwards?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So google's entire internal structure is based on failing upwards?

Yes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wtf are grid and gylt i have never heard of these games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

wtf are grid and gylt i have never heard of these games

Grid auto sport is a pretty good racing game.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Gylt is a second party exclusive

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Gylt is a competent, if average, indie action adventure game with only around 4 hours of content. It is the only game exclusive to Stadia.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

4 hours of content

I wonder how much of its total install size you stream per minute playing it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ouya had Towerfall. Stadia had Gylt.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
gylt trip

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Ouya had Towerfall. Stadia had Gylt.

Ouya didn't overheat as far as I know. It lasted over 2500 days. It also has the same number of games running at 4K 60FPS.

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 14, 2019

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

I appreciate Stadia Posted byu/unaphotographer 23 minutes ago

Can we all just appreciate the fact of how convenient gaming on Stadia is.

Was watching an episode of Lost with the wife, as has been tradition every night for the past 2 months. After we finished I asked if it was okay if I play a quick game ( we were watching on our bedroom TV and I switched it over to Stadia).

I actually timed it and it took 1 minute and 21 seconds from game start up until I was running around on a planet. That's Hella fast compared to ps4. With ps4 it would load much longer!

Just wanted to say that I appreciate that.

The poor wife looking over to see the thrill in her husband's eyes as his times then plots on a chart his stadia launch times.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1m21s? Pretty sure you can get into a bunch of PS4 games that fast from rest mode. Definitely if your game sesh is suspended.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

univbee posted:

1m21s? Pretty sure you can get into a bunch of PS4 games that fast from rest mode. Definitely if your game sesh is suspended.

And if it's not in rest mode you could have the system powering up long before you had to switch the visual portion of the TV off your show, so it's not real time saved.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

*sigh* Ok, shills, I play Game so little that when I turn on the PS4 it has a new firmware update each time and then also a game update. This is unlike playing on Stadia (I play Game all the time, so it needs to load fast).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't know about ps4 bout my xbone updates itself and games while off(asleep) unless I fully shutit down or turn off the sleep mode.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gschmidl posted:

*sigh* Ok, shills, I play Game so little that when I turn on the PS4 it has a new firmware update each time and then also a game update. This is unlike playing on Stadia (I play Game all the time, so it needs to load fast).

Unless you try to play the NBA game and have to wait for an update every time :D

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'd love to hear the wife's opinion.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Celexi posted:

I don't know about ps4 bout my xbone updates itself and games while off(asleep) unless I fully shutit down or turn off the sleep mode.

The PS4 also does this.

Does it truly surprise you that all the "problems" Stadia cultists state that current generation consoles have... actually are not problems? :thunk:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Booted up Stadia on my phone while I was on the shitter at work. Guy on the can next to me asked what the gently caress I was doing so I gave him my 7-8 minute rundown and before long everyone in the bathroom was peering over the stall watching me play. On my way out the guy from the other toilet shook my hand and thanked me

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

Booted up Stadia on my phone while I was on the shitter at work. Guy on the can next to me asked what the gently caress I was doing so I gave him my 7-8 minute rundown and before long everyone in the bathroom was peering over the stall watching me play. On my way out the guy from the other toilet shook my hand and thanked me

:same:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know one of the issues I've heard people have problems with updates is because their ps4 doesn't get the newest update (the ps4 only checks once in the middle of the night every 24 hours so if they're waiting for a hot new destiny 2 or cod patch they'll have to patch when they get home because the patch went live at 11am or so but the ps4 already checked for that day) there are countless people on reddit who complain about this, nevermind that the rest of their games probably stay updated.

*checks stadia* okay so when a patch comes they might have to wait and install it every day for up to 2-3 weeks?

And on the current 'time to game' discussion, I'm pretty sure you can turn on the Switch that has a game suspended and be back in your game in less than ten seconds. And you can do this. Anywhere. Even on mount everest! Checkmate googlaires.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

And on the current 'time to game' discussion, I'm pretty sure you can turn on the Switch that has a game suspended and be back in your game in less than ten seconds. And you can do this. Anywhere. Even on mount everest! Checkmate googlaires.

Yeah the switch is incredibly quick even switching games is pretty fast.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Escape Goat posted:

Ouya didn't overheat as far as I know.

no, but the metal enclosure of the kickstarter edition blocked the controller's wireless signal

stadia and ouya still tied

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Stadia @GoogleStadia 3h
Hi [redacted], thanks for your tweet! While we don't have an exact date to share about Borderlands 3 - it will be coming before the end of 2019. Stay tuned in our social media channels for daily news and updates.

"We don't actually have a date but Randy promised us a functional build before the end of the year, so that's the excuse we're sticking with"

I feel bad for the poor people stuck crunching over the holidays so that Borderlands 3 can be played by a handful of Stadia founders.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So a patch install on Stadia takes quite a while, similar to a console? Essentially robbing you of a few minutes of play time when starting the session?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ErrEff posted:

"We don't actually have a date but Randy promised us a functional build before the end of the year, so that's the excuse we're sticking with"

I feel bad for the poor people stuck crunching over the holidays so that Borderlands 3 can be played by a handful of Stadia founders.

looking forward to this tweet being wrong in two weeks

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
All those suckers out there waiting for patches and loading times for games that aren't on Stadia yet and never will be. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

shadow puppet of a posted:

1 minute and 21 seconds

Does it have to load up from scratch every time you start a play session? Is there really no ability to suspend and resume a session? They couldn’t have hosed up that fundamental a feature of this console generation... right?