Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sham bam bamina! posted:

hm

ah

yes

i see

ok

- having male and female genitalia doesn't make a creature unisex oh my god
- how the hell do those centuar monster things actually mate, with the vagina up front and the cock in back. how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You don't start all your searches with -clown?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrixNebulosa posted:

- having male and female genitalia doesn't make a creature unisex oh my god
- how the hell do those centuar monster things actually mate, with the vagina up front and the cock in back. how.

Maybe the other centaur gender has the cock up front and the vagina behind.

AAAA I'M POSSESSED BY THE UNHOLY GHOST OF JACK CHALKER

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I would expect some sort of 69 arrangement.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's funny to me that the centaur junk is easily the least awful thing I quoted.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's funny to me that the centaur junk is easily the least awful thing I quoted.

My eyes refused to read most of those quotes honestly

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Maybe the other centaur gender has the cock up front and the vagina behind.

AAAA I'M POSSESSED BY THE UNHOLY GHOST OF JACK CHALKER

Okay, Varley, not Chalker, but I'll never pass up a chance to share this.

And here's a cool, non-squicky article about that chart!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

jesus christ almighty god

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Jack Chalker has the book series where there's minotaurs where the women are all stupid and owned by the men and there's goat people where the women have goat heads and huge tits and they electro-gently caress

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Djeser posted:

Jack Chalker has the book series where there's minotaurs where the women are all stupid and owned by the men and there's goat people where the women have goat heads and huge tits and they electro-gently caress

sure, he has some low lows, but also some really fantastic stuff,

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I spurred possibly the most posts this thread has ever seen in such a short period of time by asking about horse humans, a subject Goons are surprisingly passionate about, and somehow still didn’t get my question answered. I wonder if I have the details completely wrong, and they were actually city-dwelling robot Martians instead of horse people of the plains.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Selachian posted:

Okay, Varley, not Chalker, but I'll never pass up a chance to share this.

And here's a cool, non-squicky article about that chart!

Thanks for the article!

I read Newitz' Autonomous recently, it's very good and a lot more interesting than its cover blurb would suggest.

There's a robot/human romance that actually makes sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, here goes. T'is the season for me to once again try to find a book from my childhood. I just learned about this thread, so I thought I'd ask you all.

Christmas kids picture book, large, possibly hard-covered, illustrations were similar to stained glass

The facts, from what I recall:

- read it sometime between 1985-93

- more about the artwork: everything had a thick black outline to it, filled with I believe solid colours. Likely no gradual shading, or anything that looked like it was coloured using pencil crayons. Nothing actually looked like glass texture, however, it's just that the colours were sectioned off. It's almost like it was a colouring book that was already professionally coloured.

- artwork filled the pages, wasn't a lot of white space, if any at all

- was probably larger than a normal 8.5x11 sized book.

- one element I remember more clearly than others was that there was a big red candle in at least one of the illustrations, with a big yellow flame on top of it, which looked a lot like the kind you'd put outside your home as a decoration. Another vague image coming into my mind right now is that it showed a few houses covered in snow. Specific, I know (:rolleyes:)

- not silly or goofy whatsoever. Meant for children, but not in a cartoonish way. Like a classic book for kids.

- likely didn't feature many characters

- might've had a nutcracker in one of the pictures

- might have been a version of The Night Before Christmas.

- that being said, I don't cleary remember any of the words, nor do I remember the cover.

I've been trying to find this book for literally decades now, and I don't even think I'm prepared for the emotions I'll feel if I ever see it again. I'm forever grateful for any help anyone might be able to give.

Thank you!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Christmas kids picture book, large, possibly hard-covered, illustrations were similar to stained glass

[...]

- more about the artwork: everything had a thick black outline to it, filled with I believe solid colours. Likely no gradual shading, or anything that looked like it was coloured using pencil crayons. Nothing actually looked like glass texture, however, it's just that the colours were sectioned off. It's almost like it was a colouring book that was already professionally coloured.
You seem to be describing a style of art called Art Nouveau. You might have some luck if you try searching for that.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Ok, here goes. T'is the season for me to once again try to find a book from my childhood. I just learned about this thread, so I thought I'd ask you all.

Thank you!

Some possible illustrators:
Robert Sabuda
Fiona French
Christine Brallier
Jan Brett

Also search Clement C. Moore on Amazon and scroll through the many, many illustrated adaptations of his poem. You might stumble across it.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 14, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

as others mentioned, this sounds very jugend (see also art nouveau)

sarah bernhardt posters are a classic example of that style:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krankenstyle posted:

as others mentioned, this sounds very jugend (see also art nouveau)

sarah bernhardt posters are a classic example of that style:

Thank you! Parts of these seem a bit familiar, but I remember the book I'm thinking of being not nearly as detailed.

Edit: and thanks to the other goons helping out, too! :glomp:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 15, 2019

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This is a very long shot, but there's a story that I have only the dimmest memory of. The only thing I remember is that a major character (possibly the protagonist) was named Chris, and it ended with her being turned into a chrysanthemum plant.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Long shot, but here we go.

I saw this in a bookstore years ago and didn't pick it up. It had a dark blue cover. It was titled "The thinking person's guide to math and astronomy" or something like that. It opened with some examples of different ways to describe a chess board or sets of dominoes or something and narrowed it down to a single statement that encapsulated all of them. The whole thing was an exercise in communicating the meaning behind the phrase "simple is beautiful".

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Gnoman posted:

This is a very long shot, but there's a story that I have only the dimmest memory of. The only thing I remember is that a major character (possibly the protagonist) was named Chris, and it ended with her being turned into a chrysanthemum plant.

Is this it? Picking Crysanthenum by P. L. Hampton

It's about a character named Chrysanthemum, nicknamed Chris. And the genre is fiction/fantasy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Can't be - that's copyright 2003, where the book I'm looking for was from 1990-1992 at the absolute latest.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Buried alive posted:

I saw this in a bookstore years ago and didn't pick it up. It had a dark blue cover. It was titled "The thinking person's guide to math and astronomy" or something like that. It opened with some examples of different ways to describe a chess board or sets of dominoes or something and narrowed it down to a single statement that encapsulated all of them. The whole thing was an exercise in communicating the meaning behind the phrase "simple is beautiful".

I don't know what this is, but I'm hoping someone else does, I'd like to read that.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Buried alive posted:

Wild-rear end guess: "The intelligent man's guide to science" by Asimov?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Not impossible, but without looking at the inside I can't say for sure. None of the covers look familiar, so I'm skeptical.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I have one that's been bothering me for a while. I found it in a pile of Ursula Leguin and Andre Norton sci-fi paperbacks I had received from my dad as a child in ~93 or so, but they were fairly old and from the text and art styles on the cover I wouldn't be surprised if they were printed in the 70's. The cover had a sort of alien with facial features rearranged like a Picasso painting, but in a relaxed sort of mona lisa pose. There may have been an exposed organ or two. The only thing I can remember about the plot is that the world must not have been very advanced but many people had a sort of demi-human maid that appeared to be a normal young woman. However, if their master "succumbed to temptation" or whatever euphamism the author used for sexually abusing the maid, they would rapidly age and everyone knew you were a gross horn dog if your maid showed up the next day at the market looking like she just signed up for Medicare.

What the heck kind of book am I half remembering?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I have one that's been bothering me for a while. I found it in a pile of Ursula Leguin and Andre Norton sci-fi paperbacks I had received from my dad as a child in ~93 or so, but they were fairly old and from the text and art styles on the cover I wouldn't be surprised if they were printed in the 70's. The cover had a sort of alien with facial features rearranged like a Picasso painting, but in a relaxed sort of mona lisa pose. There may have been an exposed organ or two. The only thing I can remember about the plot is that the world must not have been very advanced but many people had a sort of demi-human maid that appeared to be a normal young woman. However, if their master "succumbed to temptation" or whatever euphamism the author used for sexually abusing the maid, they would rapidly age and everyone knew you were a gross horn dog if your maid showed up the next day at the market looking like she just signed up for Medicare.

What the heck kind of book am I half remembering?

Mayyybe one of Michael Coney's books involving amorphs? Mirror Image or Syzygy? I can't remember the sex thing or find any references online though.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Some of these are a crazy longshot, but you guys have worked with less!

1) A novel I didn't read. Was written prior to 2009. It was a murder mystery, I think modern and the murder victim was a carer who looked after her overweight (maybe) daughter. In the end it becomes apparent that the daughter killed her because she wanted to eat something and she wouldn't let her. I have a feeling that they had previously stated that the woman would 'kill someone for a sandwich'.

2) I'm convinced this was a sort of short story chapter or flashback in a longer novel that I am trying to identify. Fairly sure it was set in Spain during the Spanish Civil War, but might have been World War II and it might have been in Germany. In this flashback or whatever, there is a young boy who starts doing deliveries for his father who is a tailor to this very charismatic guy. It's written from the boy's point of view and it becomes apparent the boy is smuggling messages within the folds of shirts or something. The fascists storm the building and the charismatic guy throws himself out the window to his death but appears very unfazed by it. It MIGHT be Carlos Ruiz Zafon but I'm not sure which book.

3) A short story from a British science fiction/horror anthology from the mid 1990s. In the future, children are raised by these robots until they reach school age. I think they might be robot bears. The children all absolutely adore these robots but once they reach school age they are forcibly separated. I think the robots are then hinted to be destroyed, or wiped clean and used again maybe? The protagonist is a little girl who refuses to follow this rule and she organises a walk-out from the city where all the children and their robots leave in the night and vanish into the woods. It is possibly hinted that it was the robots organising this through the children or manipulating them to think it was their idea.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think 2 is Shadow of the Wind, but it's been a while.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 30, 2019

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I have one that's been itching at the back of my mind recently even though I only read the first chapter or two in middle school. (Late 90's-early 00's).

It was either fantasy or sci-fi, I'm leaning more towards fantasy, and the world had government/family structures like Morrowind houses, if that makes sense? One family covers a whole bunch of people who may be there by birth or adoption. The beginning started with a female protagonist who got called back from what I believe is some sort of priesthood or scholarly life to become head of the family even though she wasn't the expected heir. I remember a scene where she had to figure out how to punish one of her retainers who had 'dishonored' her family but didn't want to execute him, so he had a black band tied around his forehead to indicate he was basically walking around under a death sentence.

I know it's super vague, and I'm probably misremembering some of it, but I really want to try reading it again if I can find it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

DreamingofRoses posted:

I have one that's been itching at the back of my mind recently even though I only read the first chapter or two in middle school. (Late 90's-early 00's).

It was either fantasy or sci-fi, I'm leaning more towards fantasy, and the world had government/family structures like Morrowind houses, if that makes sense? One family covers a whole bunch of people who may be there by birth or adoption. The beginning started with a female protagonist who got called back from what I believe is some sort of priesthood or scholarly life to become head of the family even though she wasn't the expected heir. I remember a scene where she had to figure out how to punish one of her retainers who had 'dishonored' her family but didn't want to execute him, so he had a black band tied around his forehead to indicate he was basically walking around under a death sentence.

I know it's super vague, and I'm probably misremembering some of it, but I really want to try reading it again if I can find it.

Daughter of the Empire, by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts. Sequels are Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. You're remembering it pretty well, btw.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 2, 2020

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Khizan posted:

Daughter of the Empire, by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts. Sequels are Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire. You're remembering it pretty well, btw.

Those are good books, way better than the series it spun off from.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Khizan posted:

Thank you so much!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

This is one I mostly remember from the cover, which had a (green and purple?) dragon and a fighter jet, with a mostly brownish background. From probably the 80s or 90s and the protagonist was from our world transported into a fantasy as usual, but it was really all kind of a downer. I think it ended with the antagonist being either put into the body of a mentally disabled child, or reduced to that state somehow. I also remember some line about a woman he met who was a wetnurse for elves having scars on her breasts because elves were born with all their teeth. I don't know why that was a necessary detail but I guess it's memorable.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I don't think this is it but Dragon v Fighter Jet on the cover reminded me of The Wizardry Cursed by Rick Cook.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Drakhoran posted:

I don't think this is it but Dragon v Fighter Jet on the cover reminded me of The Wizardry Cursed by Rick Cook.
Holy poo poo it is, thank you! And I had no idea it was in the middle of a series, which in vague retrospect makes sense why some of it was so confusing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Solenna posted:

Holy poo poo it is, thank you! And I had no idea it was in the middle of a series, which in vague retrospect makes sense why some of it was so confusing.

Yeah, it's book 3 of a 5-book series and probably the weakest of the five (with #1, Wizard's Bane, being the other contender), although it does have some fun moments.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm trying to find a short story I read a while back, which I know is a tall order. It was a sort of sci-fi/horror story, that I thought was written by Brian Evenson but now I'm not sure and can't find it under his name, at least. I know I read it online, it had someone waking up inside a capsule or pod or something, presumably in deep space, but everything about the story was very ambiguous and uncertain, almost to the point of being dreamlike. Unfortunately that's all I can tell you about it... not much to go on, I know!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm trying to find a short story I read a while back, which I know is a tall order. It was a sort of sci-fi/horror story, that I thought was written by Brian Evenson but now I'm not sure and can't find it under his name, at least. I know I read it online, it had someone waking up inside a capsule or pod or something, presumably in deep space, but everything about the story was very ambiguous and uncertain, almost to the point of being dreamlike. Unfortunately that's all I can tell you about it... not much to go on, I know!

What magazines do you typically read; do you think it was published in any of them?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

What magazines do you typically read; do you think it was published in any of them?

I don't read any, really, this was almost certainly linked to me by someone on the forums, so I'm not sure I could tell you where it came from. It was a professional looking site, though, so I'm inclined to say it wasn't on some random person's blog, and it was probably reprinted from a published work, though that's more of a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

http://www.conjunctions.com/print/article/brian-evenson-c67

Probably that one.