Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

:discourse: Perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God what a glorious episode, I always forget just how good this one is. Albert giving Cooper the pep-talk followed by good advice from Hawk, the fakeout to trick Bob/Leland into the cell, Bob's confession and Leland's dying regret/anguish (with Cooper offering what help he can), the gathering in the bar, the resolution to find and stop Bob after Leland's death, the loving owl etc. it's all just so loving good.

On the flip side, the Donna/James story is so loving weird and their relationship is just bizarre. They get together in the wake of Laura's death, then stop hanging out together entirely, then get jealous of each other, then declare their undying love for each other before James just decides to gently caress off like 30 minutes later. Knowing that this is leading into some of the soapiest soap opera stuff makes it all the more bizarre.

Edit: Are we jumping to the advanced schedule of a couple episodes a week from here until Lynch gets more hands-on again?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 16, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
According to the biography Lynch wasn't involved anymore, until the last episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was surprised Lynch wasn't the director of this episode actually.

Get a load of those crazy dutch angles on the guys at the beginning BTW, like right after the slow-mo Walking Tall bit

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Are we jumping to the advanced schedule of a couple episodes a week from here until Lynch gets more hands-on again?
I'm down with this if everyone else is. Watching 1 episode a week for the rest of the season would be so lame. Well, until the finale, that is.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Data Graham posted:

Get a load of those crazy dutch angles on the guys at the beginning BTW, like right after the slow-mo Walking Tall bit

The increasing amount of corny framing devices like tilts is pretty noticeable, yeah. It's really a testament to the show's inherent potential that it stays solid for so long after Lynch's departure. I think the dialogue for characters like Cooper or Major Briggs remains spot on, but the cinematography does get increasingly cartoonish for some reason.

Rageaholic posted:

I'm down with this if everyone else is. Watching 1 episode a week for the rest of the season would be so lame. Well, until the finale, that is.

Sure, let's go for it. Let's binge that James sideplot. :thumbsup:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

2 episodes a week it is! Adding it to the schedule in the OP :)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I apologize for being two years late with this, but I just watched season 3 and what the gently caress is the deal with Audrey’s story? If that final shot is her being horrified at being old, that’s cruel to the actor. Also if she dreamed it, why not dream that you married Billy Zane?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I hate to be the one to tell you this. Closure is not coming back in style

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess it was more than Donna got. Did Movie Donna turn them down too?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
If you read the books you’ll find that Aundrey’s situation is...not great

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't mind Audrey's arc in season 3 because a) I called it when the doctor mentioned her coma in passing, and b) she doesn't really have an effect on the plot, most of her stuff is self-contained. In other words, her being in a coma, or a mental institution, or a pocket dimension doesn't change anything else about the plot of season 3.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I don't really need spoilers for this thread, huh

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, what doctor?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I always thought S3 Audrey was a stand-in for overly impatient and nostalgic fans watching season 3. Have you seen Cooper, er I mean Billy?? Start out impatient to get Dougie to TP (to the Roadhouse), but then get confused and kind of attached to the story line. Eventually get your moment of sweet sweet nostalgia “I am the FBI” and Audrey’s dance, but it’s not real, and you’re going to be left with a weird and unsettling reality when you realize everything you were hoping to see is just a dream or another reality or whatever.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wait, what doctor?

Pretty sure it was during the skype call with Sheriff Truman and Donna's dad but its been a while since I've watched S3

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly thought Cooper wouldn’t appear at all. James and Ed and Norma were unexpected delights as well, although Twin Peaks the town seems like a diseased, dying nightmare and I thought something terrible would happen to it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Clowner posted:

I guess I don't really need spoilers for this thread, huh

As a matter of fact, we decided on using spoiler tags during this rewatch. :eng101:

edit: So please edit those in. :ssh:

And More fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 20, 2019

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And More posted:

As a matter of fact, we decided on using spoiler tags during this rewatch. :eng101:

edit: So please edit those in. :ssh:

Ah, then my intuition was correct!

dr.acula posted:

Pretty sure it was during the skype call with Sheriff Truman and Donna's dad but its been a while since I've watched S3

Yes, this exactly.

Also I didn't realize there were supplemental novels and audio books when I first posted, but after a little research it's definitely clear that Audrey is in a mental institution

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just a reminder that we're switching to 2 episodes a week starting tonight! It'll be like this until the season 2 finale, which deserves its own week.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Just a reminder that we're switching to 2 episodes a week starting tonight! It'll be like this until the season 2 finale, which deserves its own week.

Are we starting earlier or going later?

Here's last week's log lady for anyone who wants it btw

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 21, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

Are we starting earlier or going later?
I was thinking going later, but I'm open to suggestions.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'd prefer starting earlier, but wouldn't mind the opposite if that's what y'all want. I just wouldn't stay up for the second ep of the night.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

I'd prefer starting earlier, but wouldn't mind the opposite if that's what y'all want. I just wouldn't stay up for the second ep of the night.
So we'd start at 11pm EST then? I'm fine with that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm watching these now because I'm gonna be away for the next week or so and will have to play catch-up when I get back, but I gotta say episode 10 (17 on the Blu-Ray) stands up way better than I remember. The momentum of the Lynch stuff is still going strong I guess because I remember things REALLY falling off a cliff quickly.

Edit: Oh my God the next episode opens with the James Road Story :lol:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 22, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Hey I totally fell off the wagon on this rewatch, but I'm all caught up now and ready to go...

Jerusalem posted:

the next episode opens with the James Road Story :lol:

...oh no

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

So we'd start at 11pm EST then? I'm fine with that!

Sounds good!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Peacoffee posted:

Hey I totally fell off the wagon on this rewatch, but I'm all caught up now and ready to go...

...oh no
Hahahaha, come suffer with us!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ro5eHzpwI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/underthefan113/status/1208354132064657408

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What do the townspeople know about the circumstances of Leland's death? 🤔

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

What do the townspeople know about the circumstances of Leland's death? 🤔
I'm assuming there was some kind of cover story told to people not in the know, but I don't know what.

Also "Dougie owns a newspaper"

DOUGIE

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Also "Dougie owns a newspaper"

DOUGIE

:aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Two people on the same ladder like that can't be good :ohdear:

e: Oh no NOW IT'S THREE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Deputy Hawk, if I'm ever lost, I hope you're the man they send to find me."

Foreshadowing!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, Nadine throwing the kid across the field

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

lmao, Nadine throwing the kid across the field

The rewind when she's grabbing him really makes it lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How long until Josie gets the doorknob treatment?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The White Lodge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S2E11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6Vp8zoZrI