Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just get the good abilities

And I will know this how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I quite enjoy the evil genocidal antics of JRPG magitek Joker myself, though brooding perfectly shampoo'd long hair long sword silver mothers boy also is quite amusing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Elephant Ambush posted:

And I will know this how?

Reading their description usually helps me.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm still really enjoying FFX-2 but holy poo poo there are so many dress spheres and they all learn abilities so slow!

Is there any way to learn abilities faster? I just got Samurai and Trainer and I think one other (edit: Berzerker) and haven't even touched them because Paine is still trying to master Dark Knight and Warrior, Rikku is working on Lady Luck and Thief, and Yuna has only mastered White Mage and is currently working on Black Mage.

You may already know this but there are two ways to gain AP in X-2: killing enemies and performing any non-attack action. For mages this is fine, but for physical jobs with long special attack animations (Swordplay elemental abilities for instance) or very high AP requirements for skills (Berserker), this presents a bit of a problem.

I haven't played the game in a long time, but one thing that can help is trying to queue up ally/self targeting actions right as a battle is going to end. If you use a potion for instance, the item will still be used even if the last enemy has just died and the character will gain AP, even if the action had no effect. Warriors can also queue up Sentinal at the end of a fight and Berserkers can Berserk themselves as well.

So basically it comes down to prolonging battles and avoiding the attack command as much as possible. I'd go so far to say that AP accumulation is maybe the worst thing in X-2's gameplay, at least combat wise.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reading their description usually helps me.

Every JRPG suffers from a case of useless descriptions, FFs even more so, and FFX-2 is a follow-up to a game that has the most asinine formulas probably of all JRPGs that I know. Let's be frank here, telling someone that reading the FF ability descriptions is a way to know the good abilities is the same as telling someone to draw a circle then draw an owl.

It's more honest to say "it doesn't matter because the game is kinda easy".

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm still really enjoying FFX-2 but holy poo poo there are so many dress spheres and they all learn abilities so slow!

Is there any way to learn abilities faster? I just got Samurai and Trainer and I think one other (edit: Berzerker) and haven't even touched them because Paine is still trying to master Dark Knight and Warrior, Rikku is working on Lady Luck and Thief, and Yuna has only mastered White Mage and is currently working on Black Mage.
Don't worry about mastering one dressphere before moving on to another. It's better to play around with all the dresspheres and grab whatever you think looks useful. Think of it this way: once a dressphere is mastered, you're wasting AP by continuing to use it. Better to have a bunch of abilities spread across a bunch of dresspheres instead of all the abilities of a couple dresspheres.

And yeah, using abilities gets you abilities faster. There's also some double- and triple- AP equipment that you can get that really speeds up the process.

Just get the good abilities

They're all good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

Every JRPG suffers from a case of useless descriptions, FFs even more so, and FFX-2 is a follow-up to a game that has the most asinine formulas probably of all JRPGs that I know. Let's be frank here, telling someone that reading the FF ability descriptions is a way to know the good abilities is the same as telling someone to draw a circle then draw an owl.

Reflect x2
"Reflect double."

thanks game

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

Don't worry about mastering one dressphere before moving on to another. It's better to play around with all the dresspheres and grab whatever you think looks useful. Think of it this way: once a dressphere is mastered, you're wasting AP by continuing to use it. Better to have a bunch of abilities spread across a bunch of dresspheres instead of all the abilities of a couple dresspheres.

And yeah, using abilities gets you abilities faster. There's also some double- and triple- AP equipment that you can get that really speeds up the process.

They're all good.

Okay thanks I will just gently caress around.

Just started chapter 4. Oh boy.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Is there even any point in mastering jobs inn 10-2, like there is in 5?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Attitude Indicator posted:

There are accessories and garment grid effects that give access to another job's skill set, so mastering those jobs gives you more options. Beyond that it just gives you more choices when actively in that job.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

In X-2, you master jobs to use them to their full effectiveness. In V, you master jobs so that you never have to use them again.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

There are accessories and garment grid effects that give access to another job's skill set, so mastering those jobs gives you more options. Beyond that it just gives you more choices when actively in that job.

Oh yeah, i forgot about those.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
also you get to look at a complete list that's all starred out

gigglefeimer posted:

*Crowns because X-2 is stylish like that

goddamn it I knew it was something but couldn't remember exactly what

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 15, 2019

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

also you get to look at a complete list that's all starred out

*Crowns because X-2 is stylish like that

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Mega64 posted:

I like the villain that’s a giant tree that some ancient heroes stuffed a bunch of evil souls into.

My favorite villain though is the judge that dressed Luso, which is probably Marche.

Marche wins both best villain and best hero at the same time award

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Paine just mastered Warrior and I discovered that I have a garment sphere that allows the wearer to use Swordplay skills so that's what she has now. The 2 node garment sphere is now on Rikku who only uses Thief and Lady Luck anyway. I am pleased.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kulkasha posted:

Marche wins both best villain and best hero at the same time award

Marche is really a great character. He eagerly learns more and more about the world and becomes more attached with it as he actively, unwaveringly, sets out to destroy it.

Marche is the best FFT protagonist because instead of killing God, he IS a god who is calmly destroying his own creation by defeating the other gods for reasons that are as horrifying as they are valid. And he does it without really being a bad guy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
It's not his creation, it's Doned's delusional fever dream made manifest by a magic book.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're kind of all culpable in deciding to read the magic book insofar as a child can be culpable for reading a weird book from the book store and creating countless lives. Even though Mewt is the only one that actually said the words.

It did spawn this ice burn, tho:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Jesus loving Christ the sheer number of CommSphere cutscenes is awful. Almost none of them are funny or interesting. What a huge waste of time.

Chapter 4 sucks!

Saved right before the boss fight in the Thunder Plains and I have to go to bed but I will crush it and finally see the single song concert.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Jesus loving Christ the sheer number of CommSphere cutscenes is awful. Almost none of them are funny or interesting. What a huge waste of time.

Chapter 4 sucks!

Saved right before the boss fight in the Thunder Plains and I have to go to bed but I will crush it and finally see the single song concert.

to be fair it's a hell of a song, and you'd want a break too after what Yuna goes through

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
If I’m playing the free trial for XIV and I buy the complete edition off the PSN store would that cause any issues or do I have to upgrade from within the game/mogstation

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Mercifully, they're almost all optional. I'm pretty sure the sheer quantity of them is solely to be yet another way you can miss a tiny, minor thing that gives like 0.2% so you're hosed outta 100% in a single playthrough.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

jokes posted:

They're kind of all culpable in deciding to read the magic book insofar as a child can be culpable for reading a weird book from the book store and creating countless lives. Even though Mewt is the only one that actually said the words.

It did spawn this ice burn, tho:

It's because Mewt is the only one with a magic stat in FFTA. It's only 1, but it's above Ritz and Marche's 0.

EDIT: Remember that FFTA's "St. Ivalice" is Ivalice. it's just Ivalice so far in the future that magic is all but dead, there are no monsters or other races and the entire country exists as nothing but a small town.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 16, 2019

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Free Drinks posted:

It does have a fast-forward button, R1(2?) / R. Unless you're already using it. Then :shrug:.

I gotta say I really enjoyed WoFF way more than I thought I would. Spoilers maybe? I really enjoyed how drat bleak the story ends up being. Also Tony Amendola is really satisfying to listen to.
My real complaint about the game is that it doesn't take long for the dungeons to start overstaying their welcome.

I loved "the turn" which immediately got me ten times as invested in the characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The turn happens 90% of the way through the game. If it had happened 15 hours earlier and the combat system less awful Id have been on board way more

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Final Fantasy loving owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's because Mewt is the only one with a magic stat in FFTA. It's only 1, but it's above Ritz and Marche's 0.

EDIT: Remember that FFTA's "St. Ivalice" is Ivalice. it's just Ivalice so far in the future that magic is all but dead, there are no monsters or other races and the entire country exists as nothing but a small town.

I dont think its evidence the whole country is that town, just like Italy isnt Rome.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Barudak posted:

The turn happens 90% of the way through the game. If it had happened 15 hours earlier and the combat system less awful Id have been on board way more
I didn't hate the combat system, but I understand and agree with the rest of this!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Barudak posted:

I dont think its evidence the whole country is that town, just like Italy isnt Rome.

I'm pretty sure I read it on the internet somewhere that it's meant to be Ivalice. Because the tomes that Mewt and Luso use are different. Mewt uses a transformative tome while Luso uses a time travel tome. I could be wrong. Probably can't find a source, but I like the thought.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So where does Jecht stand in worst daddy of final fantasy scale?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Onmi posted:

I'm pretty sure I read it on the internet somewhere that it's meant to be Ivalice. Because the tomes that Mewt and Luso use are different. Mewt uses a transformative tome while Luso uses a time travel tome. I could be wrong. Probably can't find a source, but I like the thought.
yeah one book is the Gran Grimoire and the other is just some random fuckoff book

but I can't cite a source beyond vague halfremembered post here

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
as a barely present alcoholic he's way more present than a good 95% of other final fantasy dads, who are complete absentees.

he ranks above garland but definitively below king brahne, who is in turn probably also above cid ix

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd say somewhere in the middle. His hosed up approach to parenting was due to inexperience rather than malice, and when he's given a broader perspective of the world, he realizes and regrets how badly he hosed up as a parent.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

If we're going exclusively with male parents, and excluding in-game absentees as TWD pointed out, I want to make a case for Dyne being so lovely that he actively tried to murder the adoptive father of his daughter before jumping the shark himself.

Hojo is probably the best father there is, let's see:

1) Made his son super-powered
2) Still supported his son's endeavors despite the fact the guy loving hated him
3) Was willing to give his son the world, something that other parents only say metaphorically, if that
4) Is a huge monster to everyone else including his wife

Despite not being about dad issues like 10 FF7 has a lot of on-screen parents. Cloud's single mom knows he is useless. Earthisu's parents were a huge part of the plot and die horribly trying to save her. Her adoptive mom is mom-of-the-year and is a pro at taking care of a psychic mutant being looked for the government and having to forcefully move out and then take care of Marlene. Barret means well but he sucks, although from Marlene's perspective he must look like a hard-working dad. Red XIII goes all life-finds-a-way and shows his kids how much Midgar got rekt. FF7 having the scenario writer openly talking about how a lot of the writing is influenced by the loss of his mother is probably a huge influence about why there are so many living parents in a JRPG.

We all like to mock Jecht but I think FF8 has a solid contender for biggest piece of poo poo dad in Laguna, who has no real reason whatsoever to throw his son under the bus.

Most ungrateful son award goes to Justin.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Yeah Jecht is an arsehole in the typical sense of not knowing what he was doing and being wholly unprepared for fatherhood and how to build a proper relationship with Tidus.

In contrast, Hojo.

Special mention for not an arsehole dad should also go to Bartholomew Estheim, since Hope clearly has some baggage with the dude but when you meet him he's supportive as gently caress of Hope and crew. Good dad.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 16, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The unsung hero is whoever Mulan'd Faris so well that she managed to fool everyone for years and rise up all the way to the top of the food chain.

The real question is: Is Ashley Riot, from FFT Super Advance: VS, the best family man or the worst?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 16, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Galuf was probably a good dad, seeing as he's a good grandpa.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Galuf is absolutely the best Granddad for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The best dad is the emperor from FFXII, that casually explains how his sons all killed each other or something.