Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any trip reports on Sigma Theory: Global Cold War? I'm not too hot on Steam Recommendations but this seems like it might actually be good?

Anything with a world map and placing operatives seems like my jam

A bit simple but enjoyable, replayability is a bit low so I'd wait for a sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hades is the only roguelike I've ever actually loved I think. Except the loving Bone Hydra, that thing can gently caress right off. It's just a tedious battle and I've wiped in the last like 10 seconds a couple of times because its attack after its final invulnerability phase is like a bazillion missiles at once and if you're right next to it when it goes off, it'll just melt you instantly. I've seen a lot of similar complaints so I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed in an update since it's a real inertia killer and just not a very fun fight since everything is tethered to the edge of the arena. I got to the final boss on my fourth or fifth run, but I was hurting and wiped almost immediately. Since then I've only gotten as far as Elysium.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've only played the first episode of LIS2 but it seems better than LIS1 in a few ways, the emotional and personal stakes are a lot higher in 2, the setting and dialogue feel a lot more authentic, and I think that's only going to continue to age well as time goes on in our hosed up hellworld

the real key will be whether it all falls apart in the final episode, like LIS1 did for me. i felt like the theme/lessons of the first game were all over the place while this will be a lot more focused and consistent

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Artelier posted:

I'm your opposite, I am very confident with Melee builds but any ranged build that's not Captain America will have me eat poo poo. All this largely due to getting used to the dodge timing and the ridiculous amount of invincibility frames that Zag gets, plus the huge amount of health and revives you can get.

Also shoutout to my third sword aspect run where I basically just used Aphrodite's cast for ridiculous amounts of damage, then Special to get back my Casts and do it again. That one was a breeze.

After two dozen fails and half a dozen near misses in a row, I finally cleared it, and then immediately cleared it again with a heat bump. (I probably might have done better if I weren't all the time rabbiting off picking boons to fill out the Minor Prophecies to upgrade some dungeon features.)

Clear 1 was Eris Exagryph, triple special, triple Tipsy Shot with lightning party, and a couple Chaos bumps to special damage. The downside was that it was extremely difficult to tell what something in a triple Tipsy Shot is doing.

Clear 2 was Posiedon Blade and hard in the paint for Artemis - seeker shot, burst shot, bonus ammo, and a full auto boost from Hermes. Poseidon on the special because why not, a radius boost from the hammers, and some Chaos bumps to shot power.

Both runs I lost a death defy to Theseus because he stands in a giant drunk lightning cloud like a dumbass/Artemis cast goes where it pleases, so I had him and Asterius and an Olympian all going to town at once.

awesmoe posted:

the final boss of hades keeps feeding me my rear end. How should I be dealing with the spinny laser phase? Is there an actual thing to do, or just try to dash between the beams and use iframes to not die?

There's a little cutout area in the west corner of the final boss arena. I don't think the final boss can position itself in such a way to be able to hit all the inside corners.

Volte posted:

Hades is the only roguelike I've ever actually loved I think. Except the loving Bone Hydra, that thing can gently caress right off. It's just a tedious battle and I've wiped in the last like 10 seconds a couple of times because its attack after its final invulnerability phase is like a bazillion missiles at once and if you're right next to it when it goes off, it'll just melt you instantly. I've seen a lot of similar complaints so I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed in an update since it's a real inertia killer and just not a very fun fight since everything is tethered to the edge of the arena. I got to the final boss on my fourth or fifth run, but I was hurting and wiped almost immediately. Since then I've only gotten as far as Elysium.

Bone Hydra gets the missile storm after the first auxiliary heads go down. It'll always retract all the way before it does it so it's pretty easy to spot. If you haven't got reflect you can dash around the perimeter, or if you're extremely cool and good at videogames, get directly to its left or right and dash through it, making it spit most of the missiles into oblivion as it tries to pivot its head around to track you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the hydra also makes a very clear rattlesnake hiss before it opens fire, and all the projectiles will miss if you get behind one of the pillars (but you've got to practically have your face pressed up against it, otherwise the shots will curve around and hit you anyway)

it's still got too much drat hp though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kly posted:

Epic game store. Their exclusive deal is over now and egs gives the biggest cut to devs selling on their store

Epic isn’t giving any cut to the dev until they pay back their advance.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The 7th Guest posted:

the real key will be whether it all falls apart in the final episode, like LIS1 did for me. i felt like the theme/lessons of the first game were all over the place while this will be a lot more focused and consistent

Same for me; the last episode retroactively soured me on the game. Starting in episode 4 the game just keeps relentlessly making GBS threads on Max. First you kill Chloe's dad, then Chloe, then get kidnapped/abused by teacher dude, then you get that bit with the art gallery just for the game to go "sike" because of course Max can't be happy, and finally you get a binary choice that ignores every other decision you made up to that point, outright invalidates them if you save the town or never shows their outcomes if you save Chloe. You don't even get a "oh the town got hit but at least you saved the suicidal girl, put the prof in jail and here, look at all the people you saved during the storm", you just get a guilt trip for saving your girlfriend. And if you save the town... well, now Max has to live with having let Chloe die 2 metres away from her and all the other poo poo that happened to her because even if she gets to rewind time, she can't unlive professor rape, killing Chloe's dad or unplugging parallel universe Chloe.

It's this big dramatic decision but to me it just felt forced and cheap.

It's like ME3 all over again

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you played the game as it came out its blatantly obvious they completely changed course on the writing in Season 1 towards the end for whatever reason, like what happened to Wolf Among Us. (I think I remember one of the writers leaving in Episode 4?)

Because there's a bunch of instances that pretty much scream that the Prescotts actually know about the storm coming and their rich rear end in a top hat WASPness has been corrupting the town for generations and Max was chosen to stop them, but then the game takes a complete 180 to ripoff Donnie Darko and it just doesn't work at all with what the game had been setting up before.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

If you played the game as it came out its blatantly obvious they completely changed course on the writing in Season 1 towards the end for whatever. (I think I remember one of the writers leaving in Episode 4?)

Because there's a bunch of instances that pretty much scream that the Prescotts actually know about the storm coming and they rich rear end in a top hat WASPness has been corrupting the town for generations and Max was chosen to stop them, but then the game takes a complete 180 to ripoff Donnie Darko and it just doesn't work at all with what the game had been setting up before.

lol you've said this for years and it's as wrong as the first time you said it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
game is about arrested development and the compulsion to protect and save others being used as justification for refusing one's personal growth

character's last name is caulfield

video gamers: "THIS JUST DOESN'T ADD UP"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That is the definition of a red herring. There was never anything with the Prescotts, the developers have talked about what their planned endings for the game were going to be for years now, there were at earlier points some alternate pathways considered but never anything to do with them. To keep on with this would be calling Dontnod liars when they have no reason to lie about it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
aaaand finished My Friend Pedro last night. Really fun game, but I wish it didn't lean as hard into platforming in the later stages as it does

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm at 19 attempts in Hades and I've only gotten as far as the third boss :/

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I bought Bulletstorm FCE during the sale on Nov 28 and finally played it and yeah that's a pretty good game, albeit only 5-6 hours worth of one. Don't get it unless it's 75% off. Still, the skillshot kill stuff was cool and I can see myself replaying it on the infinite ammo / all weapons gamemode once or twice.

Game needs a sequel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Tried to see if maybe Supergiant Games had a store you could buy games direct from and saw that they have a bunch of sweet merch, including a Pyre hoodie for dogs

I’m a big proponent of “don’t put clothes on animals you weirdo” but that’s gotten me as close as I ever have.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rukey was a Morally Questionable but Still Basically Good Boy

we upgraded from him to Cerberus, an unambiguous Good Boys

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I keep wiping out at Hades. My gameplay style is all aggro, all the time, which is great for enemy fights, decent on bosses, and doesn't work super well on Hades's second form.

I'm surprised more people don't go with whichever weapon gives the 20% darkness bonus for that run. Using the same weapon over and over would get boring to me.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah, I won't say that the LiS finale ruined the whole season for me, but the last episode was noticeably weaker than the preceding ones and left me underwhelmed, which is not an ideal feeling to have when you finish a game. It's basically the only reason why I didn't pull the trigger for LiS 2 ages ago - I want to know what the general feeling about LiS 2 finale is, so I can adjust my expectations accordingly (and decide if I buy season 2 immediately or wait until its at least -50% off).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

god, I’m loving up everything in disco elysium so bad

I’m the trainwreck of a human the game promised me I could be, but unintentionally

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I won't say that the LiS finale ruined the whole season for me, but the last episode was noticeably weaker than the preceding ones and left me underwhelmed, which is not an ideal feeling to have when you finish a game. It's basically the only reason why I didn't pull the trigger for LiS 2 ages ago - I want to know what the general feeling about LiS 2 finale is, so I can adjust my expectations accordingly (and decide if I buy season 2 immediately or wait until its at least -50% off).

I think the ending of LiS 2 is a lot less shocking, in that you can easily see what the finale is building up to and the outcomes are pretty well-diagrammed by how you've been raising Daniel. There are also four major endings this time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Black Griffon posted:

I'm at 19 attempts in Hades and I've only gotten as far as the third boss :/

How the heck do you dodge Asterius's bull charge anyway

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Get behind an obstacle. Or dash through him. You can usually just run/dash away and kite him into your dash attacks too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I got a +runspeed boon from Hermes and he's still faster than me while spamming dashes as fast as I can. I'll try dashing through him but it sucks having to go through an entire run to get a chance to practice the timing to counter a single attack that does this much damage.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

god, I’m loving up everything in disco elysium so bad

I’m the trainwreck of a human the game promised me I could be, but unintentionally

As much fun as all the random quotes people post about Disco Elysium are, I think this is one of the biggest strengths of the game. It doesn't just tell you your character is a huge gently caress-up, it shows you what they hosed up, shows you how you can un-gently caress it, and then lets you gently caress it up even worse. Sometimes you can gently caress it up on purpose, and that's fun, but other times you really, earnestly try to un-gently caress things and it somehow double-fucks everything. And those are the moments where it really shines, because all the characters around you are just trying to get on with their own lives, and here you are in the middle of them as this hopeless gently caress-up elemental, and they have to figure out how to deal with you. I almost look forward to failing skill checks now, just for the hilarious attempts at sympathy from slightly less hosed-up people.

Wamdoodle posted:

Hell yeah, are you going to do a review on this? I was completely enraptured from beginning to end. I think it's just long enough before it wears out it's welcome. Best description is a playable pop album.

Hell yeah!

There are a lot of feel-good games out there. There are games that put a smile on your face with touching moments, that warm your heart with intense charm, or simply give you something fun and uplifting to do. Sometimes it’s too obvious what they’re doing, or there are sacrifices elsewhere to keep that cheerfulness going. And then there’s Sayonara Wild Hearts. I’ve played games that made me feel good but not many that were about feeling good, that could make me feel warm and fuzzy through their action, their music, their pacing, their themes, and everything in between. And I can’t think of many that kick this much rear end while lifting you up so effectively.

Somewhere in the world, a young woman has had her heart broken. At the same time, the three major arcana that maintain harmony in the world have had their peace shattered by the appearance of a new arcana. With the last of their power, they grant the young woman the strength to stand against the arcana and her allies, to turn back the chaos and return harmony to the world. But the journey will be a perilous one, delving deep into realms of pure concept and emotion. With each victory the woman’s heart grows stronger, and as she approaches the source of the darkness, she might find something else she’s been missing for far too long.

Sayonara Wild Hearts wears its themes on the sleeves of its technicolor bomber jacket, but even if you don’t pick up on them you’ll get them nicely packaged for you by the finale. What this means for gameplay is about two dozen stages that follow the woman’s intense plunge into Heartbreak Subspace, and emergence into the realms of the marauding arcana. Each of these stages is a breakneck rush through vibrant cities, forests, and freeways filled with hearts to collect and dangers to avoid. They’re all quite different in their structures, as well. Sometimes you’ll be gliding through space, sometimes tearing around on a motorcycle, sometimes leaping across collapsing roadways, or drifting in a muscle car, or flying on a sword, or clinging to a stag.

Every single stage of this game is a beautiful cacophony of sights and sounds surging past you in intense new ways. I’m not kidding about the pace, either, because you’ll usually only have a second or less to react to threats. What makes this work is the music, which always syncs with the flow of a stage. Obviously this will be important when you need to time button presses for leaps or strikes, but it can also signal sharp turns or big jumps ahead. The soundtrack is an intense mix of styles, just like the stages, with some marvelously voiced songs for the big showdown stages. Some of them are really quite heartfelt, and once the themes of the game start to connect with you it’ll really click how much of an emotional journey it all is.

I wish I could elaborate on that, but in the end Sayonara Wild Hearts is something you really, really need to experience for yourself. It’s not just the incredible soundtrack or the intensity of the gameplay. What makes this game special is how it builds all of its action and style to an emotional climax that can rival even the best-written games. There’s a message here for anyone, anywhere, that’s all-inclusive and is sure to lift your spirits with its own power and the power of reaching that point yourself. It’s a fantastic way to spend an hour of your time, and there’s plenty more to do like getting score ranks, finding collectibles, and solving the game’s many riddles once you’ve beaten it. But even without those bells and whistles, I’d keep coming back again and again. Not many games have made me feel so much like a superstar, or made me feel as good about it as this one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mzbundifund posted:

How the heck do you dodge Asterius's bull charge anyway

Do you have your Dash charges maxed out from the Mirror? It's definitely tedious because he runs at you for so loving long it's almost absurb, but I was able to keep dashing around pillars or through him. I generally haven't had that much issue with that boss, at least with the Shield.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

I got a +runspeed boon from Hermes and he's still faster than me while spamming dashes as fast as I can. I'll try dashing through him but it sucks having to go through an entire run to get a chance to practice the timing to counter a single attack that does this much damage.

More games should steal Crypt of the Necrodancer's practice rooms.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Mzbundifund posted:

He'll just keep going and going for a long time if you just run away. You want to duck/dash behind a column and he'll ram it. That stops the attack. You have to watch out because he'll shoot some projectiles when this happens, but it's not hard to evade generally.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
played Sayonara Wild Hearts on Apple Arcade and dug it, but I'm looking forward to replaying it on a big screen with a proper controller

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

we need a hades thread

easy run just now. Didn't use any of my deaths and final boss was easy.

Using basic shield I had

poison on special + extra bounces

+2 dashes and blade whirl (or whatever the spinning thing you leave behind from ares is called)

athenas call (invuln + deflect for ~1.5s)

just dashed back and forth like a madman to keep blades spinning under the boss and kept poison and casts up

Having all your dmg be automatic gives you a lot of mental space to think about avoiding damage.

oh and I used the spear tip trinket which makes you take no dmg for 1s after taking damage which is... crazy OP it seems and I had 25% dodge

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 16, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SA_Avenger posted:

A bit simple but enjoyable, replayability is a bit low so I'd wait for a sale

Thanks, I'm churning through a bunch of smaller games before the end of the year but $18 was borderline so I might check in on this later

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Kibayasu posted:

I’m a big proponent of “don’t put clothes on animals you weirdo” but that’s gotten me as close as I ever have.

your avatar says otherwise

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sunglasses are accessories. Totally different.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Qmass posted:

we need a hades thread

easy run just now. Didn't use any of my deaths and final boss was easy.

Using basic shield I had

poison on special + extra bounces

+2 dashes and blade whirl (or whatever the spinning thing you leave behind from ares is called)

athenas call (invuln + deflect for ~1.5s)

just dashed back and forth like a madman to keep blades spinning under the boss and kept poison and casts up

Having all your dmg be automatic gives you a lot of mental space to think about avoiding damage.

oh and I used the spear tip trinket which makes you take no dmg for 1s after taking damage which is... crazy OP it seems and I had 25% dodge

Nice. One of my favorite things about Hades is that every boon and power up is good and there are a million builds that can be OP in the right hands. The power growth is just very satisfying, especially once you've got the mirror built up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Someone either make a hades thread or rename this one please

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How many stealth segments does Life is Strange 2 have?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Glazius posted:

Bone Hydra gets the missile storm after the first auxiliary heads go down. It'll always retract all the way before it does it so it's pretty easy to spot. If you haven't got reflect you can dash around the perimeter, or if you're extremely cool and good at videogames, get directly to its left or right and dash through it, making it spit most of the missiles into oblivion as it tries to pivot its head around to track you.
Makes sense, thanks for the tip. I think what was happening is that by the time I get past the last invulnerability phase, I just want the fight to be over and I get cocky trying to burst it down. I'm frankly not a fan of invulnerability phases as part of a boss fight. It reminds me of Maghda in Diablo III at launch (butterfly witch of Act 2) with the exact same "spawn minions and turn invulnerable until they are killed every 25% damage" pattern. People pretty unanimously hated it and they got rid of her invulnerability in a later patch. I'd rather it be a tradeoff between having to dodge increasing numbers of minions while focusing on the boss, or taking the time to kill some or all of the minions for a slower but safer fight.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone either make a hades thread or rename this one please

I can throw one together when I get home from work if no one else has done it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Volte posted:

Makes sense, thanks for the tip. I think what was happening is that by the time I get past the last invulnerability phase, I just want the fight to be over and I get cocky trying to burst it down. I'm frankly not a fan of invulnerability phases as part of a boss fight. It reminds me of Maghda in Diablo III at launch (butterfly witch of Act 2) with the exact same "spawn minions and turn invulnerable until they are killed every 25% damage" pattern. People pretty unanimously hated it and they got rid of her invulnerability in a later patch. I'd rather it be a tradeoff between having to dodge increasing numbers of minions while focusing on the boss, or taking the time to kill some or all of the minions for a slower but safer fight.
You could actually skip phases on the hydra by doing enough damage - until the patch right before Steam release.

It's basically the only change they've made to the hydra other than putting in the hard version.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Control struggles on my new computer if I max it out, which wasn't a surprise really, I didn't build a monster. If I'm not using raytracing, should I use DX12 or 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'm okay with invincibility phases, it's just the I prefer them to be formalities, on either side. Like if the main hydra had low-rear end health, so most of the fight was dealing with side heads and dodging attacks, that'd be fine.