Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

How good are the smaller cars at going over grassed areas?
Those EMB's will be just fine unless it's wild grass. Park grass they'll do all day.

Nerobro posted:

Only some of them. The ~really high end~ chassis has the swappable receiver. But.. FHSS is a standard... and.. well tonight we'll find out if FHSS is FHSS. My 3pv showed up today.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Oh. It was a bust. Kyosho has a "special" FHSS for the Mini-Z's.

The 3PV has been sold. I lost $5 and like.. an hour of my time on it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Meskhenet posted:

How good are the smaller cars at going over grassed areas?

Pretty much the car wont get used too much. It would be every few weekends now that it's spring/summer.

I dont want something too fast, but something upgradable would be good (if its just a change of battery)

More of an excuse to get my some to head out to a park when i go walking.

If the .au is any indication, are you an Aussie? If so, find a local hobby shop and work something out with them.

In Melbourne I recommend Metro Hobbies, RAB Hobbies, The Hobbyman and Hearn's Hobbies

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Ah sucks. I want a couple of mini-z's for the winter but I also want to use my x-10. Thanks for checking it out.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

You Am I posted:

If the .au is any indication, are you an Aussie? If so, find a local hobby shop and work something out with them.

In Melbourne I recommend Metro Hobbies, RAB Hobbies, The Hobbyman and Hearn's Hobbies

very correct.

And the funny thing is, the best sites im seeing are melbourne, but im in sydney :/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Apparently this is a thing?
https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-Kyosho-MHSASF-Compatible-2_4GHz-Full-Range-RF-TX-Module-RC-Car-Parts-p-1270917.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Meskhenet posted:

very correct.

And the funny thing is, the best sites im seeing are melbourne, but im in sydney :/

Northern Beaches Hobby Store is a good place in Sydney. Not sure about other places in Sydney

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This thread can't die!

Because I have a false sense of reality we decided my son should get an RC car for his 5th birthday. Obviously a kit would be a fun bonding experience, so I should get a kit. We go hiking and started camping recently so a crawler makes sense since I have a crawler and he loves driving it. Every crawler basically needs some personalizing so you get a new body/wheels/tires and then just a couple upgrades and quickly you realize you are basically a couple hundred bucks off of the Vanquish Origin. So you buy your 5 year old a Vanquish Origin.

We built it together over a few weeks. I installed the electronics. He painted the interior, I painted the body and it turned out pretty sweet. Went with JP14 as he was born in 2014. This is 100% paint, no stickers at all on the body.

How in the hell did you paint that logo, that's crazy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This made me remember I had a Golden Arrow when I was a kid.

e: which makes me wonder how much my parents paid for it because if they paid anywhere near MSRP for it then it's like the one extravagant toy I had my whole childhood which is kind of weird for it to be a Radio Shack RC car and I probably would have preferred to have a name brand bicycle instead of one made by Menard's.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 2, 2019

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well, I built the 22-4 2.0 last night.

I have opinions.

https://realtinker.blogspot.com/2019/10/team-losi-22-4-20-exercise-is-poor.html

They start off with "holy crap this is a high quality kit", and end with "the naming convention sucks." :-)

... who authorized a manual of this quality. Decent weight paper, an actual binding, two color printing on the cover? This is $5 in manual.

Threadlock? Grease? A good wrench? There's two more wrenches in the shock bag too.

It doesn't look the part really.... But if you know anything about plastics and molding this thing screams at you what it is. You can't see it here, but there's a whole lot of inserts molded into the plastic, and that's not a cheap thing to build in.

So... one of the telling things about a kit, is the quality of the shocks. (I'm looking at you tamiya...)

You all know about building shocks. But because i'm a nerd, lets cover this. That shaft is better than anything else I own. The threaded end has been turned and threaded, because it's a smaller diameter than the rest of the shaft. The only way that might be better is rolled threads, but I think strength doesn't matter much right there. The top has a different finish than the shaft itself, because that was seperately turned as well as having the grooves cut for the e-clips. And THEN it was polished at some point. Most shocks are just polished ground rod that is cut, has threads rolled in it, and grooved at the top. This.. shows effort.

But that's not all. The seals are a thing too. They're x-ring, which is more expensive to start with, and show care as well. Not only are there x-rings, they're separated by a 3.5mm spacer, which gives room for schmoo collection and gives both seals a better chance of survival. These shocks, mean business.

I didn't get to the electronics install last night. But here's the completed kit, as it comes in the box.

This has been the best kit I've built. Notice I'm not putting any qualifiers on that statement.  And I've built a fair few kits over the years.  (23 at last count...)  

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Hmm... I may have to take a look at that kit for when/if I get back into the hobby.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The quality of some of these new kits is mindblowing. I've gone my whole life with nothing but Associated cars (and one Losi) and the build quality looks like a loving Tyco compared to kits like these.

Speaking of Associated, supposedly they're getting out of onroad cars?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kibner posted:

Hmm... I may have to take a look at that kit for when/if I get back into the hobby.

It's about to be discontinued, so I got mine for $250. It's totally a $500-600 kit, maybe more. X-Ray is held up there as the pinnacle of everything... but their manual is just stapled!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The quality of some of these new kits is mindblowing. I've gone my whole life with nothing but Associated cars (and one Losi) and the build quality looks like a loving Tyco compared to kits like these.

Speaking of Associated, supposedly they're getting out of onroad cars?
I can't really tell the difference (build quality wise) between big names of on-road. They're all just stunning bits of hardware. I beleive, late model B whatever buggies from TA are about the same as the losi stuff. I also have a XB2 in my fleet, and that.. while.. good.. doesn't hold a candle to the 22-4 2.0.

Nobody on the Associated teams are aware of TA dropping on-road. The same word went around 2 years ago, before the TC7.2 came out.

I suppose I should share the car I built a couple weeks ago too. This shows JUST HOW BAD these kits can get. The VBC Ghost 18.

First, from a year ago: http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2018/08/vbc-ghost-18-huge-value-for-half-price.html TL;DR: Great parts, but the kit was ... incomplete. Took something like 3 weeks to get all the right parts so I could finish the car.

VBC Released an aluminum chassis version. http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-vbc-ghost18-edition-vbc-releases.html So I ordered it. It came with the wrong top deck, and the wrong set of ball cups for the rear swaybar. So, second Ghost18 leaves me in a place where I don't have a car to drive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I can't really tell the difference (build quality wise) between big names of on-road. They're all just stunning bits of hardware.

The tolerance stackup on the TC6/7 series compared to the Awesomatix whateverthehell is night and day. All built by my dad (I just race his hand-me-downs when I can be assed to go race) but the Associated cars need no end of extra farting around to take up slop in the suspension without getting stiff. The Awesomatix suspension just feels smooth.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

The tolerance stackup on the TC6/7 series compared to the Awesomatix whateverthehell is night and day. All built by my dad (I just race his hand-me-downs when I can be assed to go race) but the Associated cars need no end of extra farting around to take up slop in the suspension without getting stiff. The Awesomatix suspension just feels smooth.

............. Admittedly, I was only tangentially involved in the build of a TC7.1.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

bird with big dick posted:

How in the hell did you paint that logo, that's crazy

All done with rattle cans! I have a friend with a Roland Stika machine. He was generous enough to make it for me. Surprisingly was able to keep a lot of detail on the finer points.
https://i.imgur.com/XInKUQF.mp4

Lots of masking tape.

removal of tape then applying the vinyl masking and more tape

Weeding the small parts of the mask while trying to keep everything stuck down so the paint didn't bleed under the mask. LOTS of light coats, always backing with silver to prevent color bleed.

This was the most ambitious painting I have ever undertaken to do and pulling it off with cans made me feel like a super hero. The window trim was hand painted with a small Microbrush and some Parma Faskolor.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

It's about to be discontinued, so I got mine for $250. It's totally a $500-600 kit, maybe more. X-Ray is held up there as the pinnacle of everything... but their manual is just stapled!

Well, poo poo! lol

I will have to keep that brand in mind for the future, then.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I got a trophy for this guy at Crawl-a-Palooza in Disney, OK this weekend!

Event Shots

Pseudo build log

kuffs fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 13, 2019

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Pictures later...

But I built a TT02 last weekend. It's a really good basher.

A couple weeks ago, I also built a FF04 Evo Black Edition. Now.. that was a heck of a build.

Also, Great Lakes RC has a facility now. This week we're doing the build out. In two weeks, we'll be holding races. We're NOT a hobby shop, so won't be tied to the whims of the market, so long as there's racers, we should be able to keep going.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

I got a trophy for this guy at Crawl-a-Palooza in Disney, OK this weekend!

Event Shots

Pseudo build log

It'd be more realistic if it had angry eyes :v:

It looks loving awesome.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ok, picture time.

This is a TT02. Mazda 3 body. Special edition red tub.

Chassis.

Stickers.

After a half hour of bashing on a gravel driveway.

Oh... before I cleaned it.

$200 all told? Car, paint, esc, motor, tires, radio, servo, battery, etc.... It's getting left in the seattle area, for when I visit.

Tamiya FF04 Evo, Black Edition.

The thing is just dripping in carbon and aluminum. And it appears i have a buyer for my FF03!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

And as of yesterday, we have a carpet r/c car track in chicagoland. Races start as soon as we get occupancy from the FD.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Where at? Maybe I can come hang out some time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Where at? Maybe I can come hang out some time.

Melrose park. Between Mannheimn road and 25th. 1950 Ruby Street.

If you've got facebook, the place to find information for "now" is great lakes RC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yes, more RC tracks.

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003
After being out of the hobby for 20 years I bought a Stampede 4x4 to play with and teach my son the joy of r.c. Lurking the thread for a while I think there's some Chicago goons around, any recommendations for an offroad track in the northern suburbs?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm not aware of any. The whole r/c car thing blew up last spring.

There's a place down near joliet, impact? I beleive is the name. There's a 1/5th scale track in the woods near the cumberland flying field.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Vaminn posted:

After being out of the hobby for 20 years I bought a Stampede 4x4 to play with and teach my son the joy of r.c. Lurking the thread for a while I think there's some Chicago goons around, any recommendations for an offroad track in the northern suburbs?

There's a super casual little offroad track in Round Lake Beach if you're talking that far north. I don't think there are actually any events there, but there's a small track. Took my CC01 there and screwed around for a while (until I stripped the splines off an axle shaft...).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I didn't know that one was still out there.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Assuming you're talking about the same one I am (behind the Kohl's), it was still there as of about a year ago. It'd probably be more fun with a Stampede than a CC :). I moved farther north and haven't been down there in a while. Need to get my battery charged and go play around soon. There are a couple nature preserves up here that apparently have some good trails. Maybe I'll get out there next month once the holiday silliness passes.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Just decided to get into RC cars a few weeks ago, bought a ARRMA Senton 3s. Been pretty fun so far, but I hated to stock design on the shell. Bought a clear one and painted it based off of the old Toyota racing scheme.

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003
I guess if there's limited tracks I'll just bash around in my backyard. These new motors and batteries are nothing compared to what I remember back when I was a kid, so much fun.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Guess I should post some of my RC content that I shared in my off roading thread to keep this one relevant.

These are actual dinosaur footprints! Very cool spot

:yooge: photo with a tiny truck in there

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So... Here we go. I built the 3Racing Advance S a few days ago.

https://realtinker.blogspot.com/2020/02/3racings-new-cheap-car-advance-s-whats.html Here's my blog post.

I think it would rock on tarmac. I think it's to flexy for carpet. I'll need to post the story about the bullshit that happened at my carpet track later.

For $110, it's a hell of a car.

This is always the right decision.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Just decided to get into RC cars a few weeks ago, bought a ARRMA Senton 3s. Been pretty fun so far, but I hated to stock design on the shell. Bought a clear one and painted it based off of the old Toyota racing scheme.

That is a fine looking truck.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
^^ thanks guys, having a blast so far although I’ve started noticing that my shocks are leaking. Need to figure out how to rebuild or replace them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

replace.... I can fully suggest the 3 racing or Yeah racing shocks. Rebuild... sure, why not. O-rings are cheap, but might only be part of the answer.

When you do it, you want to get some Noleen SF3 for the shock seals.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Nerobro posted:

replace.... I can fully suggest the 3 racing or Yeah racing shocks. Rebuild... sure, why not. O-rings are cheap, but might only be part of the answer.

When you do it, you want to get some Noleen SF3 for the shock seals.

Would these directly fit onto a Arrma Senton 3s blx? I've been reading up and it seems only a few types of shocks would fit without having to do modifications.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GlassEye-Boy posted:

^^ thanks guys, having a blast so far although I’ve started noticing that my shocks are leaking. Need to figure out how to rebuild or replace them.
loving love that it's 2020 and there's like 2 OEM who've figured this agonizing engineering challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

After buying a Tamiya Lunchbox as a dog toy tow vehicle last year, I'm back into the RC hobby after giving up carpet racing a HPI Pro 3 back in 2003.

I love building them about as much as driving them, so I picked up a Tamiya TT02 Porsche RSR kit. The plan is to build a Safari/Rally version (full lights, roof basket, etc.)

Pretty sure I have an idea where to get everything but what is the go to for servos and batteries? Before I just default to my outdated goto of Futaba.