Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

As good as Gibbs's output has been in the 2010's, I still think his early mixtapes were his best stuff (although Bandana comes close and Thuggin is in the running for best track of the decade). Dude's super consistent though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBTXOaGh8tU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fingers crossed that Kanye quits doing stupid bullshit in the 20s

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHWeSNqXnJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCiLwGRrdiM

City morgue released a follow up to Hell or High Water. I loved the first one so maybe my expectations are too high but I'm not as crazy about this one so far. Parts of it remind me of... stone sour I think?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Rageaholic posted:

Unfortunately, brain damage is not reversable, so don't hold your breath

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

alansmithee posted:

As good as Gibbs's output has been in the 2010's, I still think his early mixtapes were his best stuff (although Bandana comes close and Thuggin is in the running for best track of the decade). Dude's super consistent though.

Gibbs was my Spotify artist of the decade and I bet it was built off of repeat listens to his early stuff. 🐐

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I know a few of you have checked out the new Griselda album, WWCD. But I am completely blown away after finding out that there are absolutely no samples used in the production. Daringer and Beat Butcha did an incredible job making this sound like Griselda without sampling.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
RIP Pappa Wu
https://hiphopwired.com/832054/popa-wu-freedom-allah/

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rageaholic posted:

I think he’s only going to get shittier

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I know a few of you have checked out the new Griselda album, WWCD. But I am completely blown away after finding out that there are absolutely no samples used in the production. Daringer and Beat Butcha did an incredible job making this sound like Griselda without sampling.

yeah this is super cool.

i honestly thought Benny's most recent 2 albums were leagues above the Griselda album. i also have not been able to get into Conway or Gunn. Gunn's voice is like nails on a chalkboard

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yeah benny> but the other two have moments when they vibe with the beat

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Johnny Truant posted:

yeah this is super cool.

i honestly thought Benny's most recent 2 albums were leagues above the Griselda album. i also have not been able to get into Conway or Gunn. Gunn's voice is like nails on a chalkboard

Yah I like Tana Talk 3 and The Plugs I Met the most of any Griselda-related project, but think the gap between them and WWCD is a bit smaller. One of the things I like most about WWCD is the chemistry between the three of them. They each have a very distinct style and they play off each other well. I totally understand not being able to get into Westside, it took me a while for his voice to grow on me. With Conway, I think the dude can rap his rear end off and have really liked some of his solo projects (Everybody is Food series and LWIB). Conway's story is also pretty incredible which you can hear in his music.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

You do realize that asking this is basically asking for Kanye to cease to exist.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Yah I like Tana Talk 3 and The Plugs I Met the most of any Griselda-related project, but think the gap between them and WWCD is a bit smaller. One of the things I like most about WWCD is the chemistry between the three of them.

:agreed:

i'm gonna listen to some Conway then go back to Gunn to see if i've warmed up more to him or not. thanks for the two solo projects of Conway's, as well, wasn't sure where to start

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

After mulling this over, removing & adding different things I think I've narrowed down my "best ofs" for the decade & 2019. I'm not ranking them in that list, other than Cats & Dogs from Evidence is my favorite of the decade.

Decade Album List
De La Soul And The Anonymous Nobody
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
Run The Jewels 3
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
P.O.S. - We Don't Even Live Here
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Evidence - Cats & Dogs <--- AOTD
Tyler the Creator - Scum gently caress Flower Boy
Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - The Easy Truth
Kno - Death is Silent

honorable mention
Ghostface & badbadnotgood - Sour Soul
Plug One & Plug Two are First Serve
PACKFM I F*cking Hate Rappers
Marco Polo & Masta Ace - A Breukelen Story
Emanon - Dystopia

Tracks of the Decade
Run The Jewels feat Gangsta Boo - Stay Gold - Smif & Cash remix
Statik Selektah feat Run The Jewels - Put Jewels On It
Evidence feat Aesop Rock & Slug - Late for the Sky
P.O.S. - gently caress Your Stuff
Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - On The Stretch & Bob Show
Big Boi feat Killer Mike & Jeezy - Kill Jill
Nobody Speak - Shadow/ RTJ
Black Thought feat Rapsody - Dostoevsky
NxWorries - Suede
Anderson .Paak - Come Down

Honorable Mention
Your Old Droog - 42 (Forty Deuce)
Anderson .Paak feat Talib Kweli & The Timan Family Choir - The Dreamer
Prof - Andre the Giant
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - Bougie Natives
Cunninglynguists feat Murs & Grieves - Drunk Dial

2019 Albums (or whatever)
Robert Glasper - gently caress Yo Feelings
Blockhead - Free Sweatpants
Malibu Ken
Pete Rock & Skyzoo - Retropolitan
Shredders - Great Songs
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - Trapline
Rapsody - Eve
DJ Shadow - Our Pathetic Age
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
Gangstarr - One of The Best Yet

Edit: Oh yeah, favorite line "You should have seen me in the 90s I could ollie up a curb" - Aesop Rock on Lotta Years

highme fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 17, 2019

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still like RTJ okay, but it's funny how i was all about them when i was younger and have sorta gotten less and less interested.
I love Killer Mike's solo work so much, i guess, ive always appreciated el-p's raps and beats but anytime i listen to an RTJ track these days (which is almost never) im just like...poo poo i wanna listen to BANG instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIF8vTzuMA

highme
May 25, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I still like RTJ okay, but it's funny how i was all about them when i was younger

How old are you? RAP Music & on were all released in my 40s.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
RTJ is good but their fanbase got pretty insufferable there for a while

highme
May 25, 2001

Here's some embarrassing poo poo I played way too much when I was "young".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7a48VnxPc

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

highme posted:

I think rtj first dropped in my early 20s, and i was pretty hype since i liked killer mike from listening to pledge allegiance to the grind 1-2 and all his outkast stuff when i was a teenager
RAP Music and on was loving dope

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

seeing Run The Jewels at an arena with a 90% there for Lorde crowd was pretty weird.

highme
May 25, 2001

When that tour came through Portland there was a luxury box that was available on SeatGeek or StubHub for a reasonable price (like $80-100 per person) for 20 people. I tried to rally a crew to buy it up, but was about 3 people short, so it fell through.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

highme posted:

Jesus dude

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yo nmd raps: harder than assembling the crew for a luxury box at the rtj show

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
How does anyone have the time/energy for 17 friendships?!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Robert Analog posted:

For real. I thought I was overachieving because I managed to make plans with two people for Friday.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Lotta consistent weekly social gatherings/parties/dinners/movie nights that cover your 10-20 core homies and just slinging dopamine at them thru social media when yiu aint seeing them
A little goes a long way

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lotta consistent weekly social gatherings/parties/dinners/movie nights that cover your 10-20 core homies and just slinging dopamine at them thru social media when yiu aint seeing them
A little goes a long way

This

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen RTJ live like 4 times and they've killed it every time!

Also having 10-20 core homies sounds like a dream to me

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Paperback Writer posted:

seeing Run The Jewels at an arena with a 90% there for Lorde crowd was pretty weird.

I saw them perform on a cruise ship one time and it was also weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I've got about 20 friends, but they're all between 2 and 20 hours flight from where I'm at. Don't know how yalls adult lives have conspired to keep you in the same spot but man I wish the same magic worked on me.

Saw RTJ but can't really remember it. They came on after Danny circa the release of Old and I was so dehydrated and exhausted from the hype Danny crowd that I couldn't enjoy it. I was so sweaty I looked like I'd been pushed in a pool and my hands were all crinkly like I sat in a bath for 3 hours.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Having a bunch of friends in your area isn't hard if you're all young, single people but finding that many with similar music taste who like going to shows is.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am 38 and I haven’t made a friend in about fifteen years if you don’t count my wife, lol

My people from college all played the game of trying to keep in touch and see each other for a few years but once they all moved away/got married/cranked out babies that more or less deaded it

gently caress I’m bitter, at least my wife and I enjoy being hermits

Uhhh RAP

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I need more hip-hop friends. I am by far the most enthusiastic about hip-hop in my circle of friends and it kinda sucks tbh. I can't remember the last time a friend made a hip-hop recommendation of something I hadn't already listened to.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You’re all my friends

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You’re all my friends

highme
May 25, 2001

This is kind of wild to me. What sized cities do you all live in? I will say my best friend gets kind of annoyed when Drunkle Highme shows up and starts being hyper social. It might have even gotten me roofied last December in Atlanta after the MLS Cup final.

I have a few good friends that I originally met in meatspace, mostly at my neighborhood beer spots, but most of my closest friends from the past 15ish years I initially met online. Either in different forums or on Twitter.

Anyway, my bus ride is almost over, but Grouch and Murs released a self help video a couple of weeks back that might be of help.

https://youtu.be/wtd1pQLE7QE

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I need more hip-hop friends. I am by far the most enthusiastic about hip-hop in my circle of friends and it kinda sucks tbh. I can't remember the last time a friend made a hip-hop recommendation of something I hadn't already listened to.

Yeah I have one friend who's as into hip-hop as me and he lives 12 hours away and don't have a phone so I can't text him about this or that

But my partner lets me throw any and all hip-hop at her even though most of it bounces right off so that's cool :drum:

Anyway how TF did I sleep on Evidence's solo career, gently caress me I'm so goddamn behind on this decade's hip-hop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Anyway how TF did I sleep on Evidence's solo career, gently caress me I'm so goddamn behind on this decade's hip-hop

When I was watching Earl at CFG this year I had a similar thought, that turned into an idea for a podcast; Tell on Yourself. The premise being prominent folks in different fields tell stories about things they completely missed, that eventually blew up.