Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Someone hasn't seen Man from UNCLE or Mission Impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Vintersorg posted:

Someone hasn't seen Man from UNCLE or Mission Impossible.

nah, i have, but the statement is still true. hes an ok actor and does work and has a ridiculous body but theres something wildly forgettable about his performances.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I know this is just playing off the Man from UNCLE cast but I literally can’t keep Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer straight in any roles they’ve ever been in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I know this is just playing off the Man from UNCLE cast but I literally can’t keep Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer straight in any roles they’ve ever been in.

I've been watching the Treadstone show and I'm starting to develop goon face blindness, all the dudes are some kind of budget Henry Hammer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ryan Reynolds is a man of words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aT95JkLK9A

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Henry's career hasn't blown up because he likes playing WoW, Overwatch, and Total War too much. But he's going to be Sherlock in the upcoming Enola Holmes movie with the girl from Stranger Things. My goddaughter reads those books, so cool that she has that to look forward to :)

Also, Cavill's Geralt voice owns.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Ammanas posted:

nah, i have, but the statement is still true. hes an ok actor and does work and has a ridiculous body but theres something wildly forgettable about his performances.
I thought he was pretty great in Mission Impossible.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hedenius posted:

https://twitter.com/mediavandal/status/996855810926915585

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Cavill's August Walker is the best James Bond henchman we've had in decades.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hedenius posted:

I still can't get over that his beard just spontaneously grows as a result of the arm reload.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GrandpaPants posted:

I still can't get over that his beard just spontaneously grows as a result of the arm reload.

oh my god

that would be a pretty cool superpower. get trapped in a room with superman and you just keep reloading your arms until you both choke in your beard, or you are with spiderman in a train and you reload your arms, you get it. it would be pretty sweet.

im gonna watch this movie now and completely forget the beard but watch out for the reloading

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

It also grows a shirt pocket for him i think
Pretty useful superpower

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Now I'm trying to remember whether that flub made it into the actual movie. Still, that entire fight scene was loving top-tier.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mordja posted:

Now I'm trying to remember whether that flub made it into the actual movie. Still, that entire fight scene was loving top-tier.

It did.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordja posted:

not a flub, he walks into slightly different lighting while he does the arm pump

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

McSpanky posted:

That does indeed sound pretty skeevy, but I'm okay with a movie tackling themes of vengeance also exploring the territory of going too far and innocents getting caught in the crossfire/used as pawns in the revenge scheme. Even if the revenge seems righteous, especially if it does. It depends on how the spoilered events are depicted by the movie, it could go either way.

I think it's also worth talking about white woman using false sexual assault allegations against black men to justify their torture and murder throughout American history.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
bombshell looks like a knock off adam mckay movie whose movies play like knock offs of the social network

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4U4BQW9OEk

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So... is there a story? A conflict? Or is it just an exercise in pure nostalgia?

Regardless, as pretty as some of those shots are I couldn't watch that sort of overt military propaganda in good conscience.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I hope the movie is about Tom Cruise flying over the middle east with zero opposition just blowing away helpless civilians in hospitals

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fartbox posted:

I hope the movie is about Tom Cruise flying over the middle east with zero opposition just blowing away helpless civilians in hospitals

20 minutes into the movie, Maverick is fighting alien jets over Antartica and it turns out the movie is also an adaptation of Yukikaze that Cruise has been trying to make.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

No Kenny Rogers. 0/10

feedmyleg posted:

So... is there a story? A conflict? Or is it just an exercise in pure nostalgia?

It's looks that is heavily leaning in to "REMEMBER THIS AND THIS AND THIS SCENE? AND THE VOLLEYBALL SCENE? REMEMBER?" Hopefully it's just the way the trailer was edited, but still, I groaned a bit.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

is that a project aurora plane at the end?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

No Kenny Rogers. 0/10

Loggins. :eng101:

Trailer looks bad just like the first one but hey it has Top Gun Anthem playing so I'm all in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Veib posted:

Loggins. :eng101:

Trailer looks bad just like the first one but hey it has Top Gun Anthem playing so I'm all in.

To be fair, there's no Kenny Rogers either.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Desperado Bones posted:

No Kenny Rogers. 0/10

My review of any movie that isn't Six Pack or The Gambler

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I honestly thought until months after I saw the movie (on a plane) that their roles were reversed: Hammer was Solo and Cavill was Kuryakin. Kind of a Berenstain Bears/Mandela Effect moment when I eventually read otherwise.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the Force Awakens of fighter jet movie reboots.

I'd much rather watch a half-rear end reboot of Firebirds over this, honestly.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

To be fair, there's no Kenny Rogers either.

:agreed:

I confused my kennys, oops

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Top Gun 2 kinda has a problem where theres no longer any other country that can even touch our airforce in plane-to-plane fighting. The Soviets were a threat during the first movie, but theres no one to replace them. Who can even launch planes against the U.S at the moment? Europe's minuscule airforces are practically just franchises of our own, the Russians are dilapidated, and Hollywood wouldn't dare piss off China by making them the villains.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

galagazombie posted:

Top Gun 2 kinda has a problem where theres no longer any other country that can even touch our airforce in plane-to-plane fighting. The Soviets were a threat during the first movie, but theres no one to replace them. Who can even launch planes against the U.S at the moment? Europe's minuscule airforces are practically just franchises of our own, the Russians are dilapidated, and Hollywood wouldn't dare piss off China by making them the villains.

They're gonna stick Maverick in an F-35 and have him fly across the international date line.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

galagazombie posted:

UKRAINE

also im almost positive that mustached guy with the flat top is playing Goose's son. uhhh no thanks

i dont mind a little bit tom cruise vanity project but its starting to wear thin. youre an actor. act. pretend to fly the jet. we're not more impressed that hes doing it, if anything it breaks the wall. feels like a tom cruise documentary.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

I'm speaking with some authority here when I say you are very wrong.

Russia is a paper tiger, but absolutely not due to the quality of their aircraft. The PLAAF is extremely capable, with great aircraft and they spend A LOT of money on flying hours and maintenance. India could pose a decent threat. Take for example Desert Storm, looking at it now, it was obvious that we would win, but that was mainly due to the tactics employed at a strategic level and incredible poor military structure with major tactical decisions being made by Hussein. Also destroying your opponent's aircraft on the ground is a big help. At the time, going into it, Iraq had maybe the single most seasoned air force on the planet, with a IADS that made Hanoi and Berlin look like a string of black cats. The dudes going into that absolutely believed they would take murderous casualties, and in fact there is only one air force anywhere that has achieved an A2A kill against the US since Vietnam... and that would be Iraq.

Like, I get what you're saying but you're wrong.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 17, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

galagazombie posted:

The real answer is no one, but "dogfighting" and jet fighters in general are becoming increasingly obsolete. Exhibit A: the F-35. Exhibit B: Drones, cyberwarfare, and ballistic missiles. Our super fighter jets are designed for a world where the enemy country would need jets for an air war, but they don't. We may see how this theory plays out in a war with Iran.

Oh yeah, so movies. There's going to be a Top Gun 2?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Oh yeah, so movies. There's going to be a Top Gun 2?

Topper Gun. The final movie in the trilogy will be Toppest Gun.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

galagazombie posted:

tom cruise is going to crash land in iran and become radicalized and help the iranian army defeat the american air force by exploiting design quirks of american jets that only he knows

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Iran was the only country the US ever exported F-14s to. They still fly them.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Best take about Top Gun 2 I've found so far

quote:

It will be gung ho, corny, inaccurate," America is the best " , jingoistic, the aircraft will make evolutions that no fighter pilot on earth would even consider, every cannon round will be laser guided ( for the "blue" team ) , it I hope will have a music score to kill for, it will be another recruiting tool for the US Navy, it will be daft, stupid, ridiculous, and most of all, EFFIN' GLORIOUS !!!

pretty much

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I hope Top Gun 2 comes out the day after we finally use the F35 against Iran and they get destroyed by either Soviet-era SAMs or high altitude dust clouds, whichever hits them first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Back when the first trailer was released I saw a synopsis about Cruise being like a test pilot to compete against a new drone fighter. I’m outing my anime past here, but it sounds a lot like Macross Plus, which I always thought would make a good Top Gun sequel.