Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

trouser chili posted:

STR you are totally right, that is a transformer. I was being dumb. That dude probably provides the 24VAC for the thermostat and humidistat (if equipped).

Nailed it. On the units I've had in my own homes, at least since about 1990, I'm used to seeing the transformer mounted to the control board, with the control board getting 120VAC to the transformer and passing it directly to the board. Seeing it separate is completely alien to me. But removing the "h" from the filename (imgur trickery) let me blow up the picture and see the p/n. It came up as a Lennon/Trane/etc transformer, no other specs to be found, but there's no way that thing is beefy enough to run a fan motor.

It was obviously a transformer in the full size photo, not as much in the smaller photo.

I can't say one way or the other if that's the main 24V source, but it's a small enough transformer that I don't see it capable of powering much beyond control circuitry. That's essentially a doorbell transformer that bulked up a little bit. I know my parents' ancient York runs the control board and transformer within the fan enclosure (I assume to keep the whole mess cool). They're very much in a "the drat thing is still going after 25 years with ZERO work, our CO detectors stay at 0.00 with it running, it's a mild climate, so gently caress it, ride it until it falls over" mindset with it, I'm even moreso in that mindset. The stupid thing has never needed anything except the fan cover switch bypassed (it used to rattle the cover enough to shut off... I'm the only one that's ever in there, so I'm fine with having it bypassed)

e: they do get it checked out every couple of years by a reputable service company. They always recommend replacement for efficiency reasons, but they've never been able to find an actual problem with it outside of the bypassed fan cover switch. It only sees 1-2 months of regular use per year, down from 2-3 months from when they purchased the house in 2000 (and prior to that, the furnace was the emergency heat to back up the heat pump.. the heat pump just had the reversing valve hacked out and a normal 4 wire furnace/AC thermostat installed). I'm still pissy about that; gas is super cheap in TX, but even the original 1994 heat pump would still be more efficient.

I've never personally run into an ECM motor (since I don't exactly work in the HVAC field; the furnace I have the most experience with is my parents 1994 York gas fired unit that was ORIGINALLY the emergency backup for a heat pump.... long story there involving stupid POs), but that holyshit level of wiring going to the motor... Sims, what the gently caress are all of those wires for anyway? It seems like it would be a lot cheaper (and more reliable) to implement a traditional 3 speed motor, or even a single speed, make it a DC motor, and add RPM sense and PWM for speed control. It's almost as if :tinfoil: they were doing some planned obsolescence. :tinfoil:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New furnace will be installed tomorrow.

<sigh>

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ok Homeowner

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BlackTie posted:

Quick question:

Are these yellow things the transport blocks that should have been taken out 6800km ago when I got the car and that are going into the "reasons I'm not paying for the repair if the suspension breaks" box?

I've never heard of cars being shipped with travel limiters on the suspension before. You've driven the car nearly 7000kms and haven't noticed a ridiculously stiff suspension? I'd probably say they're supposed to be there. Youd know if they werent

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LloydDobler posted:

Question for the smokers - Is the actual buzz from nicotine all that great? How is it compared to other drugs? Is it really worth getting addicted or is the addiction more related to relief from withdrawal?

Like if it's a mini-cocaine or meth buzz I could understand, but if all it does is make you crave it when you stop, then what loving good is it anyway?

I know this sounds naive coming from a 48 year old, and I do understand that it's a nightmarishly hard addiction to break, which is why I can't imagine anyone voluntarily starting it unless it's truly great. And I do know smokers who absolutely love smoking, I've just never asked this specific question.

It's honestly more like cocaine withdrawal, or even (really strong) caffeine withdrawal. At first, you do get a buzz from it, but then you build a tolerance. Then you have to have the nicotine to feel normal.

I say this as someone that's beat both cocaine and meth addiction; I walked away from both cold turkey. I quit cigs cold turkey too, but I was only at a half pack a day, and holy shiiiiiiiiit was I a bitchy rear end in a top hat for a couple of weeks. I quit at the same time that I quit coke and meth, FWIW, so all I really wanted to do was sleep for about a week. Which I did, seeing as the coke habit cost me my job at the time, and I was kicking meth at the same time... I finished what I had the next night, and I haven't bought coke or meth since. I've done coke twice since then, but it was offered to me at parties, both times, and both times, "holy poo poo this is why I ran away from this poo poo, it's awesome for 30 minutes then horrible for 3 hours".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 16, 2019

BlackTie
Oct 23, 2008
Welp, it seems that they are the suspension blocks and they didn't remove them during PDI.

https://jalopnik.com/one-thing-you-should-ask-the-vw-dealer-before-driving-y-1699484922

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/have-your-suspension-blocks-been-removed.314559/

The front suspension has a small travel, but I also live in France where the quality of the roads is really bad and there are speed bumps everywhere, so I blamed the roads. Gonna have to complain now, I guess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

<sigh>
Holy poo poo. That's a few :10bux:

It's an even bigger deal here where code has changed and all furnaces/how water heaters now have to be close-clearance direct vent, which means even though you can have a perfectly fine chimney, you're putting holes through the wall and hopefully your appliances aren't in the middle of the basement! :buddy:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LloydDobler posted:

Question for the smokers - Is the actual buzz from nicotine all that great? How is it compared to other drugs? Is it really worth getting addicted or is the addiction more related to relief from withdrawal?
No it's really not great at all and it doesn't last because tolerance builds quickly, but drat it is powerful addictive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo. That's a few :10bux:

It's an even bigger deal here where code has changed and all furnaces/how water heaters now have to be close-clearance direct vent, which means even though you can have a perfectly fine chimney, you're putting holes through the wall and hopefully your appliances aren't in the middle of the basement! :buddy:

Just a few. It's fine though, that's what OT is for.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Were getting ready to have a new a/c system installed at cost because one of the co owners of the roofing company my wife works for also owns an a/c business.

We also had our roof done with TPO for 2 grand and a couple of cases of Corona for the guys :)

It's nice when big expenses like that are taken care of by people you know.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm particularly fond of the manual release required for the Avensis electronic parking brake:

rotate release tool 600 revolutions

Also, you apparently have to stick the tool into the car's possibly-virgin rear end in a top hat, according to the pictures:

Powershift posted:

I picked up that city turbo as well, in blue. If i had less self control i would have so loving many hot wheels.

Uh, yeah, me, too.
<laughs nervously>
I'm not sure how many I have, but I have almost every "First Edition" or "New Model" since 1996, plus all the "regular" ones I've bought over the years.It's... a lot.

STR posted:

So did Pep Boys close all of their parts stores? The two I know of near me both converted to service and tires only, closing the retail store entirely. Their website makes it sound like they sell parts online, but doesn't give me an option to pick up in store or anything.

I need a Kraco radio and tacky chrome, damnit.

Autozone has you covered on the tacky chrome. I didn't know Kraco still branded anything. Does Sparkomatic still exist?
<Googles furiously>
Ah, they bought Altec Lansing in 1992 (because the Sparkomatic name was mud from them building K-Mart-quality crap for so long,) merged with them under the Altec name, and dropped the Sparkomatic name in 2000.

edit: also, Kraco doesn't make electronics anymore, just interior accessories like floor mats and stuff. Thank god.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I guess I just got lucky. Not that I smoked anywhere near a pack a day or anything, but eventually my body just got sick of it and having anything more than like half a cigarette made me want to vomit. Once I realized I was essentially throwing half of my cigarettes out, I just stopped buying them and never looked back. I only have one friend who smokes now (and a couple of co-workers) and just catching a whiff of them after they come in from a smoke makes me nauseous.

Also one of my friends that had a rough time quitting will break down and buy a pack of Marlboros at some point during every winter, smoke one, and throw the rest out because he remembered how disgusting cigarettes are :haw:

Also also, chiming in as another person who found one of those Hot Wheels City Turbos!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Considering I'm not cool with people having been forced to suffer under the current government, I'm not exactly happy knowing there's quite this amount of cretins in the country. I mean secretly I knew it, I just never thought they'd emerge in such numbers and prove it to me.

It's very noticable most other democracies DONT elect absolute idiots but UK, USA and Australia do

It just also so happens to be where Murdoch owns a lot of media. Co-incidence? Not a loving chance. News Corp has successfully taken over. What Murdoch wants, Murdoch gets.

I dont wish death onto people but with Rupert, I make an exception. He is proof you dont need to be a gun toting dictactor to be completely evil

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I managed to quit by convincing myself that it's not forever, and I fully intend to take it back up eventually, just not for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll stay quit for good, maybe I won't, but I was motivated financially and am still motivated financially to not smoke cigarettes, $400+/m for tobacco is not a burden I can carry and so I remain quit. I was smoking 1-2 25cig packs of kingsize Pall Malls a day when I stopped.

This was the 4th time I tried to give up smoking, the first time I made it 6 months, the two times in between I used an e-cig for a couple months. For e-cigs I went with the original 510s when they came out (still have some in my desk drawer), and later a couple big tank mod cloud makers during my second attempt to use vaping to quit. My problem was that I would use 12mg fluid and I'd go through at least 50mL a day or more. It got way more expensive than cigarettes and so I actually went back to smoking to save money. My first few days after my last full cigarette I had dug up every butt I could find around the house and yard and smoked them. I don't think they helped, and I feel dirty for having done it, but maybe they're what kept me from giving in and going to buy that next pack.

That money I'm saving is paying for my Forte, which I officially owe less than half of the sticker price on now, the same 15 months later. At the very least I can't start smoking again for another 2 years and 9 months, or when it's paid off.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

STR posted:

It seems like it would be a lot cheaper (and more reliable) to implement a traditional 3 speed motor, or even a single speed, make it a DC motor, and add RPM sense and PWM for speed control. It's almost as if :tinfoil: they were doing some planned obsolescence. :tinfoil:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/machinery-tools-supplies/ECM-Motors-HVAC-Systems/ posted:

ECMs are a type of DC motor. They are also called DC fan motors, EEM fan motors, and variable speed fan motors. They function using a built-in inverter and a magnet rotor, and as a result, can achieve greater efficiency in air-flow systems than some kinds of AC motors. (Although an AC current is used for ECM, the ECM’s internal rectifier converts the current to DC voltage).  They use a microprocessor controller to sequentially energize and de-energize each winding of the stator with power that generates an electrical current.  The processor-based pulse control builds a magnetic field that causes the rotor inside this ring of magnets to turn. The microprocessor uses a closed-loop feedback mechanism to more precisely control the magnetic fields, minimizing the eddy currents and losses used by traditional mechanically commutated motors.  This also allows a brushless motor to be used, therefore reducing points of physical contact within the moving components of the motor and making them more durable.

Anecdotally, the early units suffered from moisture penetration on poorly protected electronic parts internal to the motor module. Replacements are manufactured to a higher tolerance.

There is also a problem where techs tend to advice unit replacements based on unfamiliarity with troubleshooting techniques, combined with high cost of parts. The motors themselves are generally speaking far sturdier than a typical PSC motor, it's usually an electronic control failure.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 16, 2019

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

Ufff, sorry bud. What they find?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

I'm guessing they said the heat exchanger was leaking.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

I'm guessing they said the heat exchanger was leaking.

Same, I got a theory that these super efficient heat exchangers crack a lot easier than the old stuff, but I don’t know much about them, really.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Makes sense, you raise a heart exchanger's heat transfer coefficient by making it thinner.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Machine shop called, $525 gives me all new exhaust valves and the head back and ready to go back on. I’m OK with this. It’s time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Machine shop called, $525 gives me all new exhaust valves and the head back and ready to go back on. I’m OK with this. It’s time.

Are you keeping it or selling it :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Keeping, I mean not actively selling. I’ve developed a waiting list of people who want first crack at it and I’m not calling anyone, but with all things it has a price. I’m excited to get it running again and start driving it a bit more regular, especially since I’m planning on selling the bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

T-Square posted:

I also quit for a while before I started vaping, first it was a Juul, and then it was one of those NJoy pod thingies, both because Kwik Trip and Walgreens had both of them for like 85% off respectively at one point. I stopped for the most part because I'm still scared of them causing health issues, but gently caress if I can't resist stealing my friend's every time I get a few drinks in me. And then immediately regret it the morning after when my throats all gunked up.

I quit smoking 10 years before Juul was a thing so it was a bit different for me.
We were building vapes out of anything and everything we could get out hands on and making juice from of and vg before it was even available from China.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

The blower motor is dead and the board might also be bad. Parts were gonna be more than half what the new unit will cost so we went new.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yuck. A board and blower cost more than half a new furnace plus installation? Holy smokes.

My promo pricing on my internet came up so they jacked me up to rack rate. I called and threatened to leave to another ISP so now I have this for $80/month.

I'm OK with it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

slidebite posted:

Yuck. A board and blower cost more than half a new furnace plus installation? Holy smokes.

My promo pricing on my internet came up so they jacked me up to rack rate. I called and threatened to leave to another ISP so now I have this for $80/month.

I'm OK with it.

Sounds about right. The motor + ECM module cost about $600 or so just from the supply house. Board is probably another 2-300
Add in markup and labor and you're pretty easily looking at a $1400 bill or so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Isn't a new furnace in the $thousands$ installed though?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The old unit had already had repairs noted, we didn't want a Frankenstein furnace. The Trane supplier quoted $800 for the motor. Our quote in repairs was over $2k to fix a 12 year old unit. For double that we're getting an all new unit with better efficiency and it's not a cheap economy design.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

drat expensive repair. You made a good call. You'll probably noticeably save on your gas bills too.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

slidebite posted:

Isn't a new furnace in the $thousands$ installed though?

Depends on like a million different factors, but you're looking at 4-5K on the lower end of things.
If they're just doing furnace with no A/C it will be a bit cheaper too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Five days left to get your Sheep Game answers in; it's been a little on the slow side this year it seems. Remember, the more of you who play, the better and more fun the final reveals will be! Come play today!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Five days left to get your Sheep Game answers in; it's been a little on the slow side this year it seems. Remember, the more of you who play, the better and more fun the final reveals will be! Come play today!

Indeed, even five minutes of effort adds to the hilarity, so send in some answers people!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

LloydDobler posted:

If they can't be removed quickly and easily, then no, they're part of the suspension. I've never had a new car but I can't imagine any part of delivery would ever involve "disassemble suspension to remove travel limiters and re-align vehicle".

Unless it's a mistake and they should have been removed before initial assembly, I suppose.

Noooooo, don't do it.

Like if it's a mini-cocaine or meth buzz I could understand, but if all it does is make you crave it when you stop, then what loving good is it anyway?

I know this sounds naive coming from a 48 year old, and I do understand that it's a nightmarishly hard addiction to break, which is why I can't imagine anyone voluntarily starting it unless it's truly great. And I do know smokers who absolutely love smoking, I've just never asked this specific question.

Depends. Obviously when you're withdrawing, yes, it's oh god that good. But one of the dirtiest secrets about nicotine is that it is fairly effective therapeutically for ADHD, which is ridiculously underdiagnosed (I know, I know, but). The therapeutic effect is, I think, what made me buy my first pack after bumming however many from friends / colleagues. I smoked for years and years before being diagnosed, though. And holy poo poo, real meds are 1,000,000% better, but nicotine is 1,000,000% better than nothing. So there's that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

I'm OK with it.

omg I wish I had your internet.

thanks Australia.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

slothrop posted:

omg I wish I had your internet.

thanks Australia.

Geez, that sucks. I'm not in a huge area and get 40+ down and 15+ up. Never have issues and have mates constantly streaming off my Plex. Truely unlimited data for $65 a month. Kinda disappointed in myself for only using 125GB this month so far. Edit: Australia too.

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 17, 2019

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Humphreys posted:

Geez, that sucks. I'm not in a huge area and get 40+ down and 15+ up. Never have issues and have mates constantly streaming off my Plex. Truely unlimited data for $65 a month. Kinda disappointed in myself for only using 125GB this month so far. Edit: Australia too.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3603340638

95-98 down and 35-38 up here, but I’m one of the ones who were truly lucky and have the fibre cable directly to my house.

In other news, it’s hot as balls in Adelaide- its still 34 degrees at 10:30 at night. Hopefully we don’t all catch fire the next few days and do our best NSW impersonation

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Ferremit posted:

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/3603340638

95-98 down and 35-38 up here, but I’m one of the ones who were truly lucky and have the fibre cable directly to my house.

In other news, it’s hot as balls in Adelaide- its still 34 degrees at 10:30 at night. Hopefully we don’t all catch fire the next few days and do our best NSW impersonation

Lucky bugger, I'm Fibre to the node.

It was 42 here today, worse in my warehouse/loading dock area that radiates like you wouldn't believe. Not sure what ambiant is outside now at 10:30, I've hidden in Aircon. Gotta love smart controllers to precool the house before I get home. I have Sensibos which can actively monitor temp and humidity and get it to your desired by the time you get home. It also has geolocation with your phone so if you leave say work, it'll spool them up. A good budget option is the $29 Mirabella Genio universal remotes that integrate with Google home.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There's a fiber trunk line running across my back yard.

I cannot get FTTH, just FTTN at 10 down and 1 up for around $50/m, with a bandwidth quota.

This is why I am a cable internet customer, because it's $50/m for unmetered 250/25.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

There's a fiber trunk line running across my back yard.

I cannot get FTTH, just FTTN at 10 down and 1 up for around $50/m, with a bandwidth quota.

This is why I am a cable internet customer, because it's $50/m for unmetered 250/25.

I was paying Comcast almost $200/month for basic TV and gig internet just so I could get over 10 up. It was a painful first 2 years in my new house.
Verizon finally swooped in and installed their fiber and I switched the first day I could.
Now I have symmetrical gig speeds and I'm saving $80/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
some homie in GBS is driving a tricked out Lada Niva from Almaty to England:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907195&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1