Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oldskool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kfxg38O_TM
watch the progression as he goes from landing short & only the arm hits to just straight-up landing on people.
Ha, gently caress, I was just about to post that. A lot of times you can't tell the difference, since he's landing next to the guy and you can't see how much weight is leaning on the target. Then there are the ones where you can just see him landing elbow-first on a guy. Sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jesus, he's just very obviously bouncing off their chests with no regard for anything :psyduck:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

jesus WEP posted:

Savage from the late 90s onwards apparently couldn’t land on his hip anymore so he’d just shoot elbow drop people

I'm reminded of the Mick Foley story about thinking Terry Funk had the best punch in the business, and really looking forward to being in a Funk match to see how it was done.

And then Terry just punches him in the face.

Afterwards when Mick talks to him about it he said "aw... and you just thought I was really good."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of, what the hell was with Chainsaw Charlie? I vaguely recall that it was Terry's idea for some reason but also no one ever bothered trying to kayfabe it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cornette thinks that if you pop out out of a box you’re immediately over

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of, what the hell was with Chainsaw Charlie? I vaguely recall that it was Terry's idea for some reason but also no one ever bothered trying to kayfabe it.

from Funk's book, via reddit:

quote:

I got ready for my big debut on Raw that Monday night in December, and the plan was for me to come out of a box. Bruce Prichard, one of the backstage guys, was describing to me what they wanted me to do.
I said, "That's it? You just want me to come out of the box?"
"Well, yeah," he said. "Just come out of the box. Do you want to come out as anything?"
Before my brain could fully process the question, my lips blurted out, "Chainsaw Charlie! Get me a chainsaw, so I can go out there!"
I can't explain it. It just popped into my mind.
They asked me what I wanted to wear and then got me some Levi jeans and a pair of suspenders. I already had a red shirt, so I kept that. Then, they got me a woman's pantyhose stocking and some baby powder to put on my head, all at my request (what an idiot). I guess I could have just gone out there without anything over my head, but I wouldn't have been Chainsaw Charlie with Terry Funk's head, would I? I'd have been Chainsaw Terry!
I came out of that box with my chainsaw and my stocking over my head, and the crowd, expecting some great surprise, let out a sound that seemed strangely reminiscent of escaping gas. I had visions of coming out to a tremendous roar, but that wasn't exactly the reaction I got.
:laffo: "Gimme a chainsaw!" "OK"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how come shawn michaels never gets poo poo for not drawing money in the 90s?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Savage from the late 90s onwards apparently couldn’t land on his hip anymore so he’d just shoot elbow drop people

Similarly, when the Hardys returned to WWE, Jeff did an interview on a podcast where he straight up said that he'd stopped trying to protect his opponents when doing the Swanton and would just flat out land directly on them and let them take the full brunt of the impact.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

He does, it kept him out of the Observer HoF after he retired the first time, which makes his weird hold over Vince all the more bizarre. Letting Hogan get away with poo poo is a lot different than letting loving HBK get away with poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Similarly, when the Hardys returned to WWE, Jeff did an interview on a podcast where he straight up said that he'd stopped trying to protect his opponents when doing the Swanton and would just flat out land directly on them and let them take the full brunt of the impact.
that is also bad but on the other hand a jeff hardy is about 2/3 of a randy savage, and at least he's kinda rolling over them. kinda.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

Ha, gently caress, I was just about to post that. A lot of times you can't tell the difference, since he's landing next to the guy and you can't see how much weight is leaning on the target. Then there are the ones where you can just see him landing elbow-first on a guy. Sick.

It's also super telling watching the guys receiving the elbows. The reactions of the dudes in the latter part of the video are so much more true to life of a dude landing on top of you, especially one where he just elbows DDP in the gut instead of landing on the chest. Never really noticed the change before, but I also checked out on all of his stuff in WCW anyway at that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

that is also bad but on the other hand a jeff hardy is about 2/3 of a randy savage, and at least he's kinda rolling over them. kinda.

They are much closer than you think. Jeff is probably taller although Randy had more bulk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's also super telling watching the guys receiving the elbows. The reactions of the dudes in the latter part of the video are so much more true to life of a dude landing on top of you, especially one where he just elbows DDP in the gut instead of landing on the chest.
I think I'd rather take it to the gut, because Savage landing on my chest with the point of his elbow would probably split my sternum.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I think I'd rather take it to the gut, because Savage landing on my chest with the point of his elbow would probably split my sternum.
i *think* when he was landing on dudes it was his triceps more than the elbow but it would still mega suck

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
would it really have been that difficult to just use a new finish instead of an elbow drop? Maybe you could bust it out for really, really big matches

same thing with hogan, he continued to completely destroy his body with leg drops when he could've just switched to the axe bomber or something

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Low Desert Punk posted:

would it really have been that difficult to just use a new finish instead of an elbow drop? Maybe you could bust it out for really, really big matches

same thing with hogan, he continued to completely destroy his body with leg drops when he could've just switched to the axe bomber or something

But nostalgia!

I imagine everyone figured it would ruin the mystique of those guys if they just suddenly started using a new finisher when they got too old, plus it would be a clear signal that they WERE too old and shouldn't even be wrestling anymore. Kudos to the guys who get by on low impact, low effort finishers like an iron claw or sleeper hold.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

How many wrestlers have actually done that? I imagine most of them consider it an essential part of their gimmick even if they can't do it properly anymore.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Undertaker tried different finishers to help save his knees.

It does make me wonder why guys choose finishers that are gonna ruin their bodies.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Everyone should use the heart punch

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's also super telling watching the guys receiving the elbows. The reactions of the dudes in the latter part of the video are so much more true to life of a dude landing on top of you, especially one where he just elbows DDP in the gut instead of landing on the chest. Never really noticed the change before, but I also checked out on all of his stuff in WCW anyway at that point.

Savage landed really rough on Lil Naitch in a match in WCW and collapsed his lung and cracked several of his vertebrae.

and I'm pretty sure he never apologised for it either.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wrestlers as a whole aren't very smart

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There aren't a lot of moves that won't gently caress you up if you do them literally thousands of times. But the Atomic Leg Drop doesn't even look good!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many wrestlers have actually done that? I imagine most of them consider it an essential part of their gimmick even if they can't do it properly anymore.

Mil Mascaras had to stop doing the flying crossbody in his seventies!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Liger started using the shotei and brainbuster when he got hurt and couldn't do the SSP anymore, didn't he?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

oldpainless posted:

It does make me wonder why guys choose finishers that are gonna ruin their bodies.

Someone like ZSJ might be able to wrestle into his senior years given his style. gently caress impact finishers, just tie your opponent into a pretzel.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How does one realize that they can't do the SSP anymore? I imagine it involves falling directly on your head.
How does one learn to do the SSP in the first place, even with crash pads there's the chance of not rotating right and whiplashing yourself on the turnbuckle.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

How does one realize that can't do the SSP anymore? I imagine it involves falling directly on your head.

Or on someone's else's head.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 17, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Or just the landings start to feel worse and worse over time. One day you'll be like "ok holy poo poo I'm not doing that anymore"

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Even though he still uses the Lionsault and Codebreaker from time to time, Jericho has himself set up well for later years with the :judas: Effect.

Speaking of bad-for-you finishers, does Fandango still do that horrifying top-rope legdrop? :gonk:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DDP said every time he took Savage's elbow that it tore the meat from his ribs.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Well, you see, the business is cyclical. So when business was down with Diesel, it was because he couldn't draw, not that business was on a downswing. When business was down with Shawn, it was because the business was on a downswing, not because he couldn't draw.

Makes sense? Not really.

ChrisBTY posted:

How does one realize that they can't do the SSP anymore?

When everyone in the back says "For god's sake, Billy Kidman, you're going to kill someone!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

anakha posted:

Someone like ZSJ might be able to wrestle into his senior years given his style. gently caress impact finishers, just tie your opponent into a pretzel.

Johnny Saint, whose style has a LOT of crossover with ZSJ, was still having 15 minute against the likes of Johnny Kidd and Mike Quackenbush until he was seventy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

There aren't a lot of moves that won't gently caress you up if you do them literally thousands of times. But the Atomic Leg Drop doesn't even look good!

Atomic Leg Drop looked cool and good, actually

hth

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The leg drop was decent when hogan could still move and got some height on it but later on it was bad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oldpainless posted:

Undertaker tried different finishers to help save his knees.

Because you're young & think your invincible right until the second you're not and suddenly just getting out of bed is agony on your knees.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Further proof that the best finisher in the industry right now is the Rainmaker. Anybody can do a clothesline!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Even Stan Hansen and he's legally blind!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

Further proof that the best finisher in the industry right now is the Rainmaker. Anybody can do a clothesline!

Didn't Nigel suffer numerous arm injuries due to performing the lariat?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Didn't Nigel suffer numerous arm injuries due to performing the lariat?

Yes, but he, like Hansen, was shoot murdering people with his arm. Most guys take a back bump just as Okada makes contact and crumple.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2019

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ricochet has started doing the codebreaker as a finisher in lieu of doing 630s every night. Jeff Hardy had also stopped doing the swanton on house shows and just does the stunner variant Twist of Fate

I feel like one of the worst finishers for the performer’s body has to be Ember Moon’s eclipse. That is going to destroy her tailbone and hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Ricochet has started doing the codebreaker as a finisher in lieu of doing 630s every night. Jeff Hardy had also stopped doing the swanton on house shows and just does the stunner variant Twist of Fate

I feel like one of the worst finishers for the performer’s body has to be Ember Moon’s eclipse. That is going to destroy her tailbone and hips.

I mean, Jeff landing on his tailbone every night is still likely bad. That's basically why Matt can barely walk.