Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sockser posted:

If I wanted to power a Pi4 off a regular switching power supply, I would just need to solder leads to TP7 and TP12 under the USB-C port, yeah?

I’ve had no issues with powering 8 rpi4s (and their respective USB SSDs) over the USB-C port using a 5V meanwell PSU. I did adjust up the PSU-side voltage by 0.2V or so to account for voltage drop to the Pis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

poo poo I didn't realize that USB Breakouts were a thing, which is obvious in hindsight. Thanks!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

I power my Pi4 from a 19v laptop PSU, with a bit of hackery inbetween:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Any recommendations on a 7 or 8 inch touchscreen?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jamsta posted:

I power my Pi4 from a 19v laptop PSU, with a bit of hackery inbetween:

[EXTREMELY RYAN REYNOLDS VOICE] but why

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

[EXTREMELY RYAN REYNOLDS VOICE] but why

Most of my homebrew electronics uses XT60s for cheap/ruggedness.

Using an old 19v 90w laptop PSU w/XT60 I can power the Pi, a fan, and a IPcam all from the same unit, and with minimal voltage drop over the long run of cable.

A cheap but powerful car USB charger bucks the 19v to 5v.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Same result as the other monitor I used, blaming the CRT driver. I get this image using this config.txt file. Any ideas?

note: under the "uncomment for PAL" section I switched everything to NTSC as far as I can tell\
code:
# For more options and information see
# [url]http://rpf.io/configtxt[/url]
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
sdtv_mode=0
sdtv_aspect=1
sdtv_disable_colourburst=0
enable_tvout=1

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 21, 2019

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

Same result as the other monitor I used, blaming the CRT driver. I get this image using this config.txt file. Any ideas?

note: under the "uncomment for PAL" section I switched everything to NTSC as far as I can tell\
code:
# For more options and information see
# [url]http://rpf.io/configtxt[/url]
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
sdtv_mode=0
sdtv_aspect=1
sdtv_disable_colourburst=0
enable_tvout=1

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable infrared communication.
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=17
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir-tx,gpio_pin=18

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
Looks like you have shadow people. Don't stare at them and they might go away eventually.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spazzle posted:

Looks like you have shadow people. Don't stare at them and they might go away eventually.

This is the truth.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

GWBBQ posted:

I don't have a solution, but that actually looks cool as hell and maybe you could sell it to a vaporwave DJ as a cool video show for their music!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Wrong thread.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've been using a pi4 for steam streaming and watching videos off a fileshare for a while now but we just got a 4k tv as an early christmas present and I'm wondering if there's a way to scale the pi's desktop when using it in 4k? I would like to be able to play videos in 4k but I can't read the ui from the couch :v:

I read about the pixel doubling setting but apparently it's not available for the pi4, so is there an alternative? Failing that, could I set up a couple of desktop shortcuts to switch between 1080p and 4k?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pilchenstein posted:

I've been using a pi4 for steam streaming and watching videos off a fileshare for a while now but we just got a 4k tv as an early christmas present and I'm wondering if there's a way to scale the pi's desktop when using it in 4k? I would like to be able to play videos in 4k but I can't read the ui from the couch :v:

I read about the pixel doubling setting but apparently it's not available for the pi4, so is there an alternative? Failing that, could I set up a couple of desktop shortcuts to switch between 1080p and 4k?
You might have to switch window managers. Kde has a font and UI scaling option. And I remember those existing for enlightenment and xfce, too. But you need to check if those exist for the pi version.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

VictualSquid posted:

You might have to switch window managers. Kde has a font and UI scaling option. And I remember those existing for enlightenment and xfce, too. But you need to check if those exist for the pi version.
Cool, I'll look into it, cheers :)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You could also try to use Kodi to handle the video streaming, the UI is meant for use on a TV. My TV isn't 4k but it's readable enough at 1080p.

Unrelated: I tried to install Ubuntu on my pi 4 (mostly to see if I could get an up-to-date Firefox to see how it handles YouTube videos) but entering the default login gave me a "login incorrect" message :confused:
I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what it was so I just went back to Raspbian.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 7, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Kassad posted:

You could also try to use Kodi to handle the video streaming, the UI is meant for use on a TV. My TV isn't 4k but it's readable enough at 1080p.

Unrelated: I tried to install Ubuntu on my pi 4 (mostly to see if I could get an up-to-date Firefox to see how it handles YouTube videos) but entering the default login gave me a "login incorrect" message :confused:
I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what it was so I just went back to Raspbian.

Worked fine for me? It’s ubuntu/ubuntu and then on the first login you’re forced to update your password.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I must have messed up somewhere when I copied the disk image to the Pi's SD card, I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

New versions of Mate have an hDPI setting to enable that scales everything nicely on a 4k display

Fingers Mazda
Mar 25, 2008
Im new to Raspian Pi everything and recently got myself a 4gb Pi 4B

Would like to make it basically a open sourced NVIDIA Shield type device

Would need to run Kodi as well as Steamlink/Moonlight/Parsec and RetroPie

Preferably all controlled with a DualShock 4 and/or a 3rd party tv remote

Am looking for recommendations on a good OS and any additional hardware needed
or at least reasons that this might not be feasable

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
For the OS, Raspbian should be all you need. Kodi and Steamlink are included in its repos already. Moonlight, Parsec (a quick look on the site says it's not tested for the Pi 4) and Retropie you can install manually.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's possible to control Kodi, Steamlink and Retropie with either a gamepad or a remote, but I'm not sure about Raspbian itself. You might need a wireless keyboard.

I'm using a Logitech keyboard for Raspbian and this remote app to control Kodi. I tried Steamlink with a wired Xbox 360 gamepad so I'm sure a Dual Shock should work as well for that.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 9, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m looking at building a Pi stack using one of those cases where a bunch of pis are stacked (hence the name “Pi stack”), initially just for limiting the footprint on my very crowded shelf but hopefully eventually doing something like docker swarm to pool them?

Does anyone know of any USB power supplies which can do ~65W/13A (the maximum possible draw for 4 Pi4s and a little babby UniFi 5-port switch) and spread that draw over all the ports?

The problem I’m running into is that all I the high-watt USB power supplies are designed to be power supplies for USB-c laptops so you’ll see 120W but 90 of those are only “accessible” on the first port and the other 2/3/4/n ports split the remaining 30W with a 2.4A maximum being the most common amperage on the USB-as ports.

Are figuring out how to split power from bench power supplies my only option here or is there a magic word for what I’m looking for that will :google: me the desired results?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Why USB?

More specifically, I'd just get one of those beefy sheet metal enclosured 5V power supplies and maybe splice a few USB cords onto it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ante posted:

Why USB?

More specifically, I'd just get one of those beefy sheet metal enclosured 5V power supplies and maybe splice a few USB cords onto it

Everything in the stack being USB-C powered would make it easier I guess?

:shrug:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

I’m looking at building a Pi stack using one of those cases where a bunch of pis are stacked (hence the name “Pi stack”), initially just for limiting the footprint on my very crowded shelf but hopefully eventually doing something like docker swarm to pool them?

Does anyone know of any USB power supplies which can do ~65W/13A (the maximum possible draw for 4 Pi4s and a little babby UniFi 5-port switch) and spread that draw over all the ports?

The problem I’m running into is that all I the high-watt USB power supplies are designed to be power supplies for USB-c laptops so you’ll see 120W but 90 of those are only “accessible” on the first port and the other 2/3/4/n ports split the remaining 30W with a 2.4A maximum being the most common amperage on the USB-as ports.

Are figuring out how to split power from bench power supplies my only option here or is there a magic word for what I’m looking for that will :google: me the desired results?

Not that I'd trust the quality:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32985653624.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3fad736eoP0QSN

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Another option is the official PoE shield and and switch that can feed them but it gets a bit expensive fast.

Search for my posts in this thread to see that concept taken a bit too far.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

ante posted:

Why USB?

I power a couple of Raspberry Pi's this way. Get a power supply at 5V and whatever amps you need (2.5 amps * # raspberry pi), put about 5.1 - 5.2 V output (account for voltage drop across the wire), put the output onto a power rail, find some single ended USB C cables, wire onto the power rail and power directly. No wall warts, no weirdo Chinese multiple outlet USB power hub things of dodgey quality.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The solution I used is at the top of this page and pretty much mirrors this ^

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Progressive JPEG posted:

The solution I used is at the top of this page and pretty much mirrors this ^

Just to note: when I did this, my SD card corruption issues due to power fluctuations largely went away.

To add more content. A power supply like this , not necessarily from this exact vendor.
https://www.mpja.com/mobile/5-Volt-Power-Supply-20A-100W-Switching-Hengfu/productinfo/16011+PS/

That power supply is the equivalent of a Meanwell noted above by Progressive JPG

This is an power distribution block
https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/6YH95

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 13, 2019

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Anyone tried out a jetson nano? Seems to slot in between a RPi4 and a Shield in perf and pricing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I kind if want one of these just to take it apart

I wonder if it's just a 100w 5.5v power supply with all the ports on the same single 5v rail and all sharing the same ground with no actual USB circuitry :allears:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mildly interesting. This guy lives on his boat and programs his raspberry pi to display charts and weather data, and also drive his boat in a straight line even in ocean waves. Reads like a character from a Neil Stephenson novel:

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/sean-d-epagnier-and-alexandra?viewport=980,1686,0

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Are there any (modern) guides for getting .NET Core (1.1, 2.1, or even 3.1) running on a Pi 0W? I don't care if the runtime is using official Microsoft dotnet or Mono, I just want ASP.NET and/or console apps :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is this Mini Pi-Hole Kit any good? My mom likes gadget type gifts but is a little starved for freetime right now, so something useful you can snap together without any soldering might be good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Casimir Radon posted:

Is this Mini Pi-Hole Kit any good? My mom likes gadget type gifts but is a little starved for freetime right now, so something useful you can snap together without any soldering might be good.

It's a little pricey for what it is but Adafruit has good stuff so I wouldn't hesitate to get it as a gift.

edit: you'll want to have a sd card reader to configure the pi install image to activate ssh and/or get it on the wifi, or the appropriate cables and a hub to use it with a monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 17, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rexxed posted:

It's a little pricey for what it is but Adafruit has good stuff so I wouldn't hesitate to get it as a gift.

edit: you'll want to have a sd card reader to configure the pi install image to activate ssh and/or get it on the wifi, or the appropriate cables and a hub to use it with a monitor and keyboard/mouse.
Ok, thanks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Been going on a Pi spree lately. I've had a 3B+ sitting on my desk for a while now for light USB data transfers, but recently picked up a Pi2 to stick in the corner of my apartment as a PiHole. Now I'm looking at picking up a few more to either make more PiHoles for family members, or in one case try to set up CUPS and turn an old USB printer into a network one.

So in trying to figure out how I can best shuffle hardware around, can I take my Raspbian and RetroPi SD cards from my 3 and just stick them into a Pi 4 and get an instant upgrade, or would I have to reinstall on the Pi 4?

Also about the USB-C issues with 4, if I'm just going to get the official Raspberry power supply anyway is there any other reason I should wait for a 1.1 hardware update? As I understand it the issue is with 'smart' USB-C plugs, one that just dumps the appropriate voltage should work fine?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Takes No Damage posted:

So in trying to figure out how I can best shuffle hardware around, can I take my Raspbian and RetroPi SD cards from my 3 and just stick them into a Pi 4 and get an instant upgrade, or would I have to reinstall on the Pi 4?

You could make a backup of your home folder and give it a try but it's a pretty radical change of hardware so it might cause issues? Even if you do have to reinstall, you should be able to get everything back as it was very quickly from the home folder backup.

Takes No Damage posted:

Also about the USB-C issues with 4, if I'm just going to get the official Raspberry power supply anyway is there any other reason I should wait for a 1.1 hardware update?

Nope, I got the official power supply too and experienced no issues.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Takes No Damage posted:

RetroPie doesn't officially support the Pi 4 yet, so that one definitely won't work. There is some sort of DIY compile it yourself version that runs, and Lakka and maybe some of the other Retroarch-based builds do work. Copying the home folder once you're up and running should bring most of it over, though I forget where the configs and frontend media are stored.

I THINK the holdup is that there's some kind of wait on the proper GPU driver, and performance is better than the 3 but not where it should be yet.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

You could make a backup of your home folder and give it a try but it's a pretty radical change of hardware so it might cause issues? Even if you do have to reinstall, you should be able to get everything back as it was very quickly from the home folder backup.

Bummer, I'm mostly interested in getting the RetroPi on the 4 since it seems that would take the most advantage of the extra resources and was hoping the SD cards would be more agnostic, but it sounds like there's a version of Raspbian just for the Pi 4 so I'm reinstalling either way.

TVs Ian posted:

RetroPie doesn't officially support the Pi 4 yet, so that one definitely won't work. There is some sort of DIY compile it yourself version that runs, and Lakka and maybe some of the other Retroarch-based builds do work. Copying the home folder once you're up and running should bring most of it over, though I forget where the configs and frontend media are stored.

I THINK the holdup is that there's some kind of wait on the proper GPU driver, and performance is better than the 3 but not where it should be yet.

WELL sounds like I'm not doing that either anytime soon. Oh well, no big rush, I'll just keep adding to my ever expanding army of previous-gen Pi's that are all running DietPi and just doing 1 or 2 things.

Speaking of, does anyone know offhand if PiHole interferes with doing anything else on that PI? Like, once my router is using it as its DNS, could I still slap a Desktop on it and use it for a tiny PC, or have a print server running alongside it? Not really sure what the network implications are for messing around on what is also your DNS server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm sure a bunch of other people want it to work, too. And some of them will be able to make it happen. It won't be too long