Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No j want to see wild British poo poo get adapted so my actual choice is Cradlegrave, a lovecraftian horror story set in a council estate that is as much about the horrors of the inescapable nature of poverty and the crime that it breeds as it is the weird Cthulhu poo poo

Adapt that one Alan Moore comic that's a bunch of fairy tale princesses talking about loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

the new star wars ends with hitler youth guy saving hitler's granddaughter from hitler

it's all nazis, all the time

shocked to learn that the pointless plot point in the first movie that was pointlessly retconned in the second movie was once again pointlessly retconned in the third one

so have any of the woke idiots who thought rey was subversive because she wasnt descended from important people decided that star wars is actually bad or did they just find some other stupid reason to declare the series transcendent storytelling

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

Adapt that one Alan Moore comic that's a bunch of fairy tale princesses talking about loving

Lost Girls

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If we have to adapt things maybe let's not adapt the things that everyone has heard of let's do some weird poo poo like idk adapt oh maybe just as a for instance

*Spins a big wheel covered entirely in British comics*

American Reaper? gently caress this things broken never mind

what's your take on the umbrella academy series they released on netflix? IIRC it's pretty close to the second arc of the comics (they tweak the ending but otherwise it's pretty spot on) and that's definitely not a comic series that i think most people have heard of

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I'm gonna unleash my inner weeb and demand that Studio Trigger makes a high budget Justice League anime. At least the animation would be cool and interesting.

Taintrunner posted:

the new star wars ends with hitler youth guy saving hitler's granddaughter from hitler

I was never too into shipping, but this pairing always made my skin crawl. Why develop the black male lead when you can devote a bunch of screen time redeeming(?) the handsome(???) white fascist.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Umbrella Academy was crazy good and it pisses me off that nobody talks about it.

Equeen posted:

I'm gonna unleash my inner weeb and demand that Studio Trigger makes a high budget Justice League anime. At least the animation would be cool and interesting.

this is an awful idea and you're bad for suggesting it

coathat
May 21, 2007

No one should make any adaption of any western comic book

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Umbrella Academy was crazy good and it pisses me off that nobody talks about it.

same but Dark

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dark has some buzz going for it but it's not comic book poo poo so :shrug:

Maybe you could argue there's better sci fi, but Dark is hands down the best time travel show ever made.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is a hard show to recommend when i don't even want to spoil the entire premise. Just trust me it's good!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

remember when american distributors said they had to chop up foreign films for the american market because americans wont watch long movies

admittedly an improvement over their more recent trend of refusing to distribute foreign movies at all because they decided americans hate subtitles

wasn't Harvey Weinstein the distributor constantly chopping up films

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yes he butchered the jackie chan classic who am i by putting the scene that told you who he was at the start of the film

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Spoil me on a yes or no question about s4 of the expanse: if I think Avsarala is pretty much in the wrong will I be vindicated

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Spoil me on a yes or no question about s4 of the expanse: if I think Avsarala is pretty much in the wrong will I be vindicated

its half of a complete story, so its hard to say. personally, i agree with you but it seems the show will not be vindicating that belief

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how can avsarala be in the right when the belters are the good guys

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Equeen posted:

I was never too into shipping, but this pairing always made my skin crawl. Why develop the black male lead when you can devote a bunch of screen time redeeming(?) the handsome(???) white fascist.

Didn't the last movie end with Rey and the pilot guy giving each other "gently caress me" vibes?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Rian Johnson was too good for star wars

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what's your take on the umbrella academy series they released on netflix? IIRC it's pretty close to the second arc of the comics (they tweak the ending but otherwise it's pretty spot on) and that's definitely not a comic series that i think most people have heard of

Oh that absolutely whipped, it mashed the first two arcs up in the exact right way and knew what to keep and what to ditch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

Dredd 2012 though

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dredd 2012 though

The Raid already did a "law enforcement fight their way out of a crime riddled public housing building" type movie first.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

coathat posted:

a history of violence
snowpiercer
blue is the warmest color

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sacrifices have to be made to achieve a just world

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Forceholy posted:

Didn't the last movie end with Rey and the pilot guy giving each other "gently caress me" vibes?

Rise of Skywalker is going to end with the main cast members forming a polycule

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Serf posted:

its half of a complete story, so its hard to say. personally, i agree with you but it seems the show will not be vindicating that belief

Her "Hey, Holden, sort this protomolecule poo poo out and OTHERWISE DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN THIS DISPUTE WITH THE BELTERS" policy was at best a mixed success, as anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds in Holden's presence could have predicted.

Her "maybe we should think twice before grabbing up every loving planet through the magic space gates that we know nothing about" policy is probably correct, even if she is still an Earther, and thus cannot look at a thing without trying to figure out who owns it, how to make it her possession, rather than sharing to make her bowl more plentiful.

Her "completely fail to notice that Mars is up to top secret shenanigans because you're too busy trying to win an election and alienating everyone who even remotely likes you in the process" was a resounding success though!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think shes got a bit of a point in that they don't want to end up with a bunch of space Dariens but she's blatantly ignoring the wants and needs of pretty much everyone while refusing to give an inch and enforcing the decision by blowing civilian ships out of the sky. She's in character but also wrong and while I'm only 3 episodes in I hope the writers at least agree a little

Serf
May 5, 2011

think about the social works program that could be spun up out of training, equipping, and sending billions of unemployed and hopeless earthers to all those worlds. it could be the biggest project in human history

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Serf posted:

think about the social works program that could be spun up out of training, equipping, and sending billions of unemployed and hopeless earthers to all those worlds. it could be the biggest project in human history

Also, maybe, leaning on the expertise of the people who've lived in space for generations instead of saying ALL THESE WORLDS ARE MINE MINE MINE.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah that's the really lovely thing while all the colonists are waiting in orbit the EIC RCE is getting mining rights to everything

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

imo the main theme of the season is that cultures reach stagnation through a lack of political imagination. there's no reason you have to start colonizing everything right away, they could be sending millions of people through the gates to survey all of those systems without touching anything. If they waited on probes to handle everything they'd all be long dead before the survey would be completed - and sending out probes carries an inherent risk anyway because there's no guarantee that they wouldn't activate protomolecule junk too. I know the hidden enemy is somewhere out there, but if you want to avoid that completely then you can't use the gates at all. There's no getting around the problem.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

docbeard posted:

Anyway, in answer to the original question, yes, Battlestar Galactica is well worth a watch, at least the first two seasons. gently caress da haters.

Agreed, it goes off the rails in the last season but even then there are still some good episodes there.

The highs are very high in earlier seasons.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm with her (nancy gao)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

i'm with her (nancy gao)

I like how her background completely contradicts the underlying assumption of the lottery system, which is that there aren't enough jobs to go around - but that just gets subsumed as a talking point for an electoral contest and nobody dwells on it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I like how her background completely contradicts the underlying assumption of the lottery system, which is that there aren't enough jobs to go around - but that just gets subsumed as a talking point for an electoral contest and nobody dwells on it.

its actually really wild how the main focus of the show is on alien nonsense but the most interesting stuff is happening on mars and earth. and the belt stuff is played a little too mysteriously for my tastes, but its also better than barren planet adventures

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1207012589395296258?s=20

https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1207021115761147911

https://twitter.com/stefabsky/status/1207015587752398850

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Serenity at least had some entertaining performances.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

its actually really wild how the main focus of the show is on alien nonsense but the most interesting stuff is happening on mars and earth. and the belt stuff is played a little too mysteriously for my tastes, but its also better than barren planet adventures

season 4 is largely a setup for the major poo poo that goes down next season, be ready

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Forceholy posted:

The Raid already did a "law enforcement fight their way out of a crime riddled public housing building" type movie first.

Dredd was in production for a while before that, it's literally two movies coming to the same idea independently

Also wildly thematically and tonally different movies

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Agutter posted:

a history of violence
snowpiercer
blue is the warmest color

A History of Violence is also by co-creator of Judge Dredd John Wagner, the more you know dot jpg

Serf
May 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

season 4 is largely a setup for the major poo poo that goes down next season, be ready

been thinking about reading the books because the show blueballed me so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the raid redemption is about a man slowly shedding the trappings of civilization and descending into a primal state to survive while refusing to discard his principles

dredd is about how the cops are exactly as bad as the criminals