Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

I've tried out VRChat for a bit. Its looking like PC is the best to go since a bunch of models are PC only?

Absolutely. The Quest version is severely limited in what you can see and do.

Also, set your Safety settings to the following;

Visitor, New User, User: All off, except Avatar and Voice.
Known User, Trusted User: Turn off Shaders and Particles.

That'll comfortably eliminate like 95% of annoyances while still getting to see some of the better avatars do their gimmicks. Unless your PC specs are fairly low, you should also go into the Performance submenu and turn on Dynamic Bones. Jokes about titty-physics aside, a lot of models use them for cloth and hair motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Good thing I can hook up my quest to the pc then :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still don't understand that game. It's mostly anime avatars, and any Youtube videos doing lewd jokes all day, don't exactly help. There's apparently some game worlds worth visiting, a list would help.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still don't understand that game. It's mostly anime avatars, and any Youtube videos doing lewd jokes all day, don't exactly help. There's apparently some game worlds worth visiting, a list would help.

“rec room, except you can gently caress”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

Good thing I can hook up my quest to the pc then :v:

Just be aware that the impending Unity 2018 update is apparently gonna break a lot of avatars, so don't get TOO attached to anything you find in random worlds.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The best way I can describe VRChat is it's two parts social VR and one part perpetual improv game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Running around worlds is neat. I just ran through a recreation of Boo's Mansion

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have discovered that even in the world of VR I am a wallflower

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Leal posted:

I have discovered that even in the world of VR I am a wallflower

That is why I called prefer rec room. The games give something to talk and react to so I can more easily come out of my shell

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally played some poker stars VR.

First table I sat down, everybody was just calling each other gay or super gay over and over.

That said, the environments are fantastic, and the interactivity, while not perfect, feels pretty drat good.

Smoking a virtual cigarette while tossing my virtual poker hand in or rapping my virtual knuckles on the table to check is just, nice.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Its Second Life VR. Its the closest we have to "The Matrix" right now, as jank as it is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zaphod42 posted:

Finally played some poker stars VR.

First table I sat down, everybody was just calling each other gay or super gay over and over.

That said, the environments are fantastic, and the interactivity, while not perfect, feels pretty drat good.

Smoking a virtual cigarette while tossing my virtual poker hand in or rapping my virtual knuckles on the table to check is just, nice.

Its Second Life VR. Its the closest we have to "The Matrix" right now, as jank as it is.

FWIW I haven't had a single bad experience in PokerStars beyond people trolling by going all in every hand. I feel pretty confident in saying your experience was an isolated thing.

The one thing I can say it really needs is the ability to kick people from tables. I might be missing it but I didn't see an option as host or otherwise.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7E92IdraxQ

Like real life, VR Chat is a total nightmare where you'll find something meaningful if you go looking for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61V3-TLee2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJWrgtm29Y

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

SteamVR mod for GTA V released. Will have a trip report tomorrow
https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod/releases/tag/r2

GTA V real mod trip report.
Jank level is extremely high, so much stuff is nearly broken.
However.
The FPV stuff, driving, walking around and poo poo, is insanely good. The driving experience is so insanely good its not even funny and worth the price of admission.
I've never played GTA V before, so, I've got a loooong road ahead of me.

Here's a short clip of just driving around, game sounds scuffed for some reason on the recording.
https://clips.twitch.tv/ScrumptiousBlazingTomatoStrawBeary

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The quest store is starting to have daily deals. Two right now:
The Morrigan -40%
Drop Dead -30%

Please say if any is good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

treat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7E92IdraxQ

Like real life, VR Chat is a total nightmare where you'll find something meaningful if you go looking for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61V3-TLee2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJWrgtm29Y

We had some really interesting characters come through our goon run mumble* servers, in TF2 there was one 12 year old kid screaming about wet pussy sex, another guy waxing poetic about the balkanization of American politics (or something), and another guy weaving a tell all story about being the son of an English Duke who had lost his fortunes and gone to be an officer in the army of the country now known as Zimbabwe and his wasted life since (he built some really rad stuff in Minecraft though)

Lots of interesting characters in the quiet corners of the internet. VR chat is not the first place I'd go looking

Would be interesting to see some kind of mumble plugin for VR, as an after thought

* Voice and chat server, like discord,. But free, lower latency and higher quality audio

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

* Voice and chat server, like discord,. But free, lower latency and higher quality audio

So. Discord.

Trying to figure out what it don't provide you're looking for here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Lots of interesting characters in the quiet corners of the internet. VR chat is not the first place I'd go looking

Depends on the worlds you're going to. The Great Pug and The Black Cat are very much the kind of place you see a fair share of this sort of thing, because by design they attract and encourage chill conversation.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
So this probably has been asked 100 times, but interested in the goon modern opinion since it's been out for awhile now...

Do you think it's worth getting the 128gb quest over the 64gb? I don't see myself sideloading much movies and media, since I'd probably just stream netflix on the thing - but I can imagine playing a fair few games on it.

64 seems quite low by modern standards.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Quest games are small. Biggest one is prob just over 3gb. If you have no plans to sideload large videos, there no real reason to get the 128. I bought it because I watch 3D movies in skybox and those file sizes are huuuge.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Isometric Bacon posted:

So this probably has been asked 100 times, but interested in the goon modern opinion since it's been out for awhile now...

Do you think it's worth getting the 128gb quest over the 64gb? I don't see myself sideloading much movies and media, since I'd probably just stream netflix on the thing - but I can imagine playing a fair few games on it.

Most Quest games probably average around 2 GB in size I would say. Actually, maybe even less, like around 1.5 GB. You really don't need the version with the extra storage unless you are the kind of person who gets really upset that you can't quite stick over 50 games on your device without uninstalling your old ones.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Origami Dali posted:

Quest games are small. Biggest one is prob just over 3gb. If you have no plans to sideload large videos, there no real reason to get the 128. I bought it because I watch 3D movies in skybox and those file sizes are huuuge.

Basically this. The 128GB version is currently pointless unless you're loading up on movies, and are watching like more than 10 movies in a row and somehow can't just swap files with a computer after watching a few.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll save myself the 150 dollarydoos. More money for software and link cables.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

FWIW I haven't had a single bad experience in PokerStars beyond people trolling by going all in every hand. I feel pretty confident in saying your experience was an isolated thing.

The one thing I can say it really needs is the ability to kick people from tables. I might be missing it but I didn't see an option as host or otherwise.

Agreed. I have had precisely one toxic table in Pokerstars. It’s very rare in my experience.

It IS annoying if you have someone who goes all in pre-flop every time, but all it takes is for them to lose a few times and they usually knock it off.

You can also mute people’s voice, motions and props individually, so if someone is being nasty you can make them basically a silent statue who does nothing but play poker. That’s what we all did at the one toxic table I sat at, which was honestly pretty hilarious.

You can also set it so people can’t take your smokables out of your mouth, and you can set a safe bubble inside of which no one can grab your props.

Pokerstars does lack in table admin options but it has a ton of options to keep you personally from being annoyed. Even if you’re annoyed by the room, you can mute its sound effects. I have the Void rooms background droning turned down to 0 because I can’t stand it. I already have tinnitus, I don’t need more inescapable hums in my life

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is how my first night in vr worked out. I talked to 2 people

First was a guy asking if the club's music was playing and I said yeah, it was something by Sean Paul who I never thought I'd hear again after 15 years. The guy didn't know who that was

Second was another person I played beer pong with who I was talking about loving crazy it is that here I am in my house, able to go to clubs and meet other people all through the wonders of VR. And how crazy it is experiencing this after the wide eyed wonders of VR back in the 90s where the best thing we got was the virtual boy and its red on red graphics and it wasn't even VR it was just putting a screen close to your eyes.

He didn't know what the virtual boy was :smithicide: fuuuuuuuccckkkk I'm old

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

I guess I'm the minority here but I'm over 64GB on my Quest and I don't have that many games one it. Maybe I loaded a movie on it and forgot, I dunno...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

Here is how my first night in vr worked out. I talked to 2 people

First was a guy asking if the club's music was playing and I said yeah, it was something by Sean Paul who I never thought I'd hear again after 15 years. The guy didn't know who that was

Second was another person I played beer pong with who I was talking about loving crazy it is that here I am in my house, able to go to clubs and meet other people all through the wonders of VR. And how crazy it is experiencing this after the wide eyed wonders of VR back in the 90s where the best thing we got was the virtual boy and its red on red graphics and it wasn't even VR it was just putting a screen close to your eyes.

He didn't know what the virtual boy was :smithicide: fuuuuuuuccckkkk I'm old

You went to the Void Club, huh?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

So. Discord.

Trying to figure out what it don't provide you're looking for here.

Discord doesn't scale to thousands of concurrents like Mumble does, and is cloud-hosted so it's harder to control quality or downtime. Higher Discord bitrates do require server boosts which aren't free.

Discord's UX makes it the better choice in most situations but with Goonfleet and all, a trend of voice chat here does predate Discord and also exceeds what Discord can reasonably provide.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So far my experience with Bridge Crew is that its' fun factor is inversely proportional to how competent everyone is at their assigned station.

Four idiots trying to figure out which button to push is fun :haw:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You went to the Void Club, huh?

Was that the one where I walked into a side room, saw a six sided die and above it was rules that didn't make sense at the time. Then a reset button that I pressed, which made 2 more dice appear. One had actions like "kiss" or "lick". The other body parts. And the rules suddenly made sense.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I got the 128gb mainly because it's all that was immediately available and because I have crappy internet. Sidequest makes backing up stuff so easy that if you do need room you can make it quickly and grab it later if needed for any storage constraints.

For the GTAV mod, is it like the Alien Isolation one as far as movement? Just tried that out and oh man I have no VR legs. It was cool but moving feels so clunky coming from a kb/mouse only background and getting dizzy every time I rotated the screen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Discord doesn't scale to thousands of concurrents like Mumble does, and is cloud-hosted so it's harder to control quality or downtime. Higher Discord bitrates do require server boosts which aren't free.

Discord's UX makes it the better choice in most situations but with Goonfleet and all, a trend of voice chat here does predate Discord and also exceeds what Discord can reasonably provide.

Yeah it can be self hosted, also runs on a toaster. The bfgoons mumble server regularly had 200+ users running (literal) cd-quality audio, generally in the teens-ms latency. Plus no weird login process, with an option for self signed certs to prove identity. Oh, and in three years not once did it ever go down.

There's another goon mumble server still kicking around with a bunch of battlefield die hards, camping under the stairs, I think.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Yeah it can be self hosted, also runs on a toaster. The bfgoons mumble server regularly had 200+ users running (literal) cd-quality audio, generally in the teens-ms latency. Plus no weird login process, with an option for self signed certs to prove identity. Oh, and in three years not once did it ever go down.

There's another goon mumble server still kicking around with a bunch of battlefield die hards, camping under the stairs, I think.
I mean, you've still got your bf2 av...

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Quest must be the hot item for Christmas. I only used mine a couple of times, and it had been sitting in it's case for several months so I tossed it up on eBay for $850 and it sold immediately. Should have listed it for more I guess.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hadlock posted:

drat I forgot about this. Battlefield mumble was the poo poo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mem posted:

Quest must be the hot item for Christmas. I only used mine a couple of times, and it had been sitting in it's case for several months so I tossed it up on eBay for $850 and it sold immediately. Should have listed it for more I guess.

Yeah the Quest is pretty awesome.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

mem posted:

My dad wanted one, but they were all insanely priced, so I camped out on NowInStock for 2 hours and found one for MSRP. Kind of a dick move to sell at a big profit on Xmas, but maybe I'm just judgmental.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really realized what my rift S is capable of while me and my brother were playing Stormlands the other day. It was so fun and funny.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Official Oculus Link cable is on sale.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1207544410168184832

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Hahaha gently caress off jesus

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not in Europe. :(

Skyarb posted:

No idea of the veracity of this but:

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Skyarb posted:

The price shouldn't be a surprise. It was announced along side Oculus Link's announcement. Also yeah that Reddit post above.