Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I love my job but not being able to spend more time with my wife is really crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

This is great

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Man, I love my job but not being able to spend more time with my wife is really crappy.

That's what sucks about having a real job. My wife works about 50 hours a week, has an hour commute and is also taking care of her mother so a barely see her.

It's nice to think about when we were young and spent all of our time together, hardly any responsibilities....Then life happens :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We see each other a lot since she works from home. Generally we're both here and awake from 9 to 3. But I try not to bother her since she's supposed to be working. If/when I get on first we'll be able to spend pretty much all our free time together again.

Gonna be a long 1.5 years til then.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, I've been trying to make a point to do a date night during the weekend or something. She works from home most days, and is home before me regardless if she's not and I work 8-5, but most times I'm working late and even if I get out at 5 I take the opportunity to make any stops I need to do and don't get home until 6 at the earliest. She's always been a dork and can hardly stay up later than 8:30 at night, so we only get a couple of hours per night to hang out. Less when there's cooking and cleaning to do.

Feel you on the first shift thing though, one of my friends has been in a union shop for several years now and obviously all of the old boomers with seniority take up first shift and refuse to retire so a spot only opens up every couple of years now. He's technically been next up once or twice now and has been hosed over for it and remains on third. He says a spots opening up soon again and he has first dibs on it, but he's pretty confident he'll get hosed over again :smith:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I am averaging ~10+ flights a month right now. It's kind of nuts, and that's nowhere near the top of the travel scale for some folks, but that's an entirely different topic re: individual insanity.

All the travel I have done for work this past decade has reinforced for me that even with a crazy life, making time for your spouse and kids is super important!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T-Square posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to make a point to do a date night during the weekend or something. She works from home most days, and is home before me regardless if she's not and I work 8-5, but most times I'm working late and even if I get out at 5 I take the opportunity to make any stops I need to do and don't get home until 6 at the earliest. She's always been a dork and can hardly stay up later than 8:30 at night, so we only get a couple of hours per night to hang out. Less when there's cooking and cleaning to do.

Feel you on the first shift thing though, one of my friends has been in a union shop for several years now and obviously all of the old boomers with seniority take up first shift and refuse to retire so a spot only opens up every couple of years now. He's technically been next up once or twice now and has been hosed over for it and remains on third. He says a spots opening up soon again and he has first dibs on it, but he's pretty confident he'll get hosed over again :smith:

I am also waiting for the boomers to die retire so I can get on 1st. Outside of first shift I have dept seniority so once a spot opens I will have first dibs. I am a bit uncertain how well I will function around the office crew since on 3rd we operate under standard anarchy guidelines.

I killed a spider with a blowtorch once. That probably won't fly on 1st.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tremek posted:

I am averaging ~10+ flights a month right now. It's kind of nuts, and that's nowhere near the top of the travel scale for some folks, but that's an entirely different topic re: individual insanity.

All the travel I have done for work this past decade has reinforced for me that even with a crazy life, making time for your spouse and kids is super important!

I did the travel thing for a little bit when I was younger and enjoyed it, would be on the road 22-25 days a month. Eventually that caught up with me and I backed off to 1-1.5 weeks away a month. Now I don't travel much unless it's a special customer or site. I wouldn't pass up another 4-8 week trip in another country but it's harder now with the wife and three dogs. Travel just wears me down too much anymore and I catch a cold or something about half the time it seems.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I am also waiting for the boomers to die retire so I can get on 1st. Outside of first shift I have dept seniority so once a spot opens I will have first dibs. I am a bit uncertain how well I will function around the office crew since on 3rd we operate under standard anarchy guidelines.

My wife is waiting for her Boomer boss to retire in a year, she's taking over his job and will be making six figures and huge bonuses on top of it, so there's that to look forward to :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I won't see a pay bump unless I made an effort for a department team lead and that poo poo makes people want to die so it ain't happening.

In other news, new furnace is in! Baby got his first smart thermostat too!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fermented Tinal posted:

There's a fiber trunk line running across my back yard.

I cannot get FTTH, just FTTN at 10 down and 1 up for around $50/m, with a bandwidth quota.

This is why I am a cable internet customer, because it's $50/m for unmetered 250/25.

Unmetered 200/10 here... for free. :smuggo:

Our apartment complex includes cable internet and cable TV with the rent now, up until the lease runs out (then it's a much cheaper rate than retail). But getting Spectrum to send the loving cable boxes for the TVs has been like pulling teeth. They keep telling us they've been shipped, then "oh, I guess they didn't get shipped, tracking shows they never left", they ship them again, and.... yeah it's been over a month of that poo poo. I have the Spectrum app on both Rokus, but it's constantly buffering and bitching about our connection being too slow. :laffo: There's no packet loss going on that I've seen, and the modem shows good signals, so I don't know WTF.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

I won't see a pay bump unless I made an effort for a department team lead and that poo poo makes people want to die so it ain't happening.

In other news, new furnace is in! Baby got his first smart thermostat too!

I am not a super cutting edge techie geek, and all the smart appliances kind of creep me out, but I have to be honest a smart thermostat with a phone app is awesome.

STR posted:

Unmetered 200/10 here... for free. :smuggo:

Sweet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

I am not a super cutting edge techie geek, and all the smart appliances kind of creep me out, but I have to be honest a smart thermostat with a phone app is awesome.

IOT is overplayed. I agree, smart thermostats are nice, but I just bought a bunch of appliances, and I see no reason why my refrigerator should be on my wifi network. I mean, I put it there, because :shrug: , but I see no tangible benefit.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, just got back from meeting basically the entire neuro-oncology team. They showed us her brain scans and there's four small pips that they pointed out that are on the surface of the brain lobes or whatever. Nothing big enough for targeted or whole brain radiation, but I guess installing a small port underneath her scalp is a thing? So that's what we're doing, Friday we'll admit her overnight to have a lumbar puncture for a sample, and to dose her CSF with some chemo preemptively. Then we'll have the procedure to put the port in early January and then they'll inject a small amount of chemo locally through that weekly until they see improvement. She's probably going to rescind acceptance of her job offer, and I can tell that's what's hitting her the hardest :smith:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
edit: not exactly good news but I suppose it could be much worse

Tremek posted:

join us in the bfc business travel thread if you aren't there already

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 17, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Speaking of internet speeds, AT&T finally got off their thumbs and got fiver to my neighborhood. Gig internet for $80/month, $100/mo after 1 year. I’m currently paying Spectrum $70 for 200 Mb, and they 1) keep sending me junk mail to get their TV (I know AT&T will do that, too), and 2) offered to upgrade me to, I believe it was 300 or 400 Mb for another like $30. Yeaaaah. No.
I moved away from AT&T a couple years ago when they kept promising fiber but never delivered. It galls me to go back, but I didn’t really have a bad customer experience with them - and my mobile plan is with them.
Guess I should go ahead and make the switch, again. Silly to go with anything but their gigabit offering, though - they cap the lower speed to 1TB data, and the up charge for uncapped 500 Mb for example makes it the same price as gigabit.
The other thing that falls me is that they advertise the gigabit fiber for $70 a month, but you literally cannot order the service without also ordering the $10/mo modem. So, no ATT, it’s not $70/mo. That’s $80/mo. You lying cunts. Not sure which shitheel in marketing thought that was a good idea. Probably all of them.

Edit: that sucks, T-Square. gently caress cancer forever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Speaking of internet speeds, AT&T finally got off their thumbs and got fiver to my neighborhood. Gig internet for $80/month, $100/mo after 1 year. I’m currently paying Spectrum $70 for 200 Mb, and they 1) keep sending me junk mail to get their TV (I know AT&T will do that, too), and 2) offered to upgrade me to, I believe it was 300 or 400 Mb for another like $30. Yeaaaah. No.

Spectrum is still spamming the hell out of us to get TV, despite us being on a "community package" with TV and internet.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

Welp, just got back from meeting basically the entire neuro-oncology team. They showed us her brain scans and there's four small pips that they pointed out that are on the surface of the brain lobes or whatever. Nothing big enough for targeted or whole brain radiation, but I guess installing a small port underneath her scalp is a thing? So that's what we're doing, Friday we'll admit her overnight to have a lumbar puncture for a sample, and to dose her CSF with some chemo preemptively. Then we'll have the procedure to put the port in early January and then they'll inject a small amount of chemo locally through that weekly until they see improvement. She's probably going to rescind acceptance of her job offer, and I can tell that's what's hitting her the hardest :smith:
poo poo man it just keeps coming. Hopefully the end of new things and is near for you two. It'll get better :glomp:

slidebite posted:

I work in IT and deal with some security stuff....IOT scares the hell out of me.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Haven’t posted on AI in awhile. Been sober for a year now next month. Got a really good job and have been selling a lot of software.

Finally got a new car a 2020 corolla LE. I love it but it’s never gonna be the kind of car that impresses anyone and that’s ok.

Hopefully 2020 is a lucrative year and I can finally make a thread for restoring my 88 300zx.

I also really really want to get a 3rd gen prelude as a classic daily.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo man it just keeps coming. Hopefully the end of new things and is near for you two. It'll get better :glomp:

I work in IT and deal with some security stuff....IOT scares the hell out of me.

I also work in IT and I guess my view is a bit more pessimistic / nihilistic than most?
I mean I love IOT things (to some extent) but there ain't no loving way I'm going to put them on the same network as any of my other devices.
I grew up with the assumption that the government is always listening, so just replace "government" with "private company" and what's the difference? Except of course one of those two is going to be much less responsible with my data and try to sell me crap.
I have a camera at my front door so I can discern solicitors from friends, and hopefully catch porch pirates in the act. I have a google home so I don't have to get up to turn off my smart lightbulbs or smart switches, or cast music to my chromecasts. I have 2 google homes so I can broadcast messages to my wife without having to yell at the top of my lungs. I have a nest thermostat because it's cool and actually convenient and has surprisingly saved me a little bit of money.
All of these are on a physically-separate wifi network that doesn't touch anything else on my secure network until it gets to my edge firewall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I work in IT for a company that makes security products, and IOT is going to be a booming market for us as the poo poo hits the fan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't find IOT stuff to be particularly useful (what problem is it really solving for me?) so I like to think I'm somewhat insulated, but of course wife and I both have smartphones and a Roku so they've got us anyway.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have a few smart outlets, I don't really care about individual smart things though. I have a lamp, decorative lights, and a tv hooked up to mine and they work with my smart speaker. Pretty cool and the worst a hacker can do is just make my lights flicker a lot.

e: made this for you guys 💕
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3h8ib9HcLI

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 17, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

I have a few smart outlets, I don't really care about individual smart things though. I have a lamp, decorative lights, and a tv hooked up to mine and they work with my smart speaker. Pretty cool and the worst a hacker can do is just make my lights flicker a lot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
If someone wanted to hijack my lamp and spell that out in morse code I would happily hang out to watch that happen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cage posted:

If someone wanted to hijack my lamp and spell that out in morse code I would happily hang out to watch that happen.

That's kinda where I'm at... I guess I gave up on the whole "privacy" facade somewhere after the Patriot Act and... really, what's someone going to do in hacking a device on my network, presuming there is a viable backdoor (which I know there is)? I mean they can find drafts of my resume, and some accounting spreadsheets... but other than that... it's a home network, the same as any other home network.

THERE'S real nihilism. It's my stuff, but who cares, it's the same as everyone else's stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You don't get it man, that's where THEY start, by hacking your lamps!!!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's kinda where I'm at... I guess I gave up on the whole "privacy" facade somewhere after the Patriot Act and... really, what's someone going to do in hacking a device on my network, presuming there is a viable backdoor (which I know there is)? I mean they can find drafts of my resume, and some accounting spreadsheets... but other than that... it's a home network, the same as any other home network.

THERE'S real nihilism. It's my stuff, but who cares, it's the same as everyone else's stuff.

They can and do install malware like bitcoin miners and use your IoT network as its own botnet doing DDoS attacks.

If there's a microprocessor in it, somebody will hijack it to their own ends. They can do a lot more than silly pranks.

I have no interest in IoT stuff - they all seem superfluous and gimmicky.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I got roped into doing IoT at work. Been having fun with thingworx, making peoples jobs easier and gathering useful data. Its the first job I have had in a long time I don’t hate.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

IOT is overplayed. I agree, smart thermostats are nice, but I just bought a bunch of appliances, and I see no reason why my refrigerator should be on my wifi network. I mean, I put it there, because :shrug: , but I see no tangible benefit.

So it can join a botnet.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You don't get it man, that's where THEY start, by hacking your lamps!!!

I think you're kidding but this isn't too far off. Your lamp might be the starting point to attacking your network.

Remember the big Target hack about 5 years ago? Target hired pen testers to test their network and they were able to access the POS system from a deli meat scale.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/inside-target-corp-days-after-2013-breach/

Deteriorata posted:

They can and do install malware like bitcoin miners and use your IoT network as its own botnet doing DDoS attacks.

If there's a microprocessor in it, somebody will hijack it to their own ends. They can do a lot more than silly pranks.

I have no interest in IoT stuff - they all seem superfluous and gimmicky.

This. Look up the Mirai botnet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I work in infosec and I don't trust any iot stuff but some of it is useful enough to use anyway. I liked having a smart garage door* (chamberlain) and smart thermostat** (ecobee) before I sold my house.

I had all my iot garbage on a separate vlan with rules preventing any of that poo poo from touching the rest of the network. I planned on heavily rate limiting everything to limit the damage if anything got compromised but I never got around to it.

Really though, as long as it's behind the most basic of firewalls (hell, NAT alone takes care of most potential issues) there probably won't be any problems. At least until whatever aws instance it communicates gets popped.

*My previous garage door would sometimes close 95% of the way, stop, and open again for no reason. So if I got impatient and left before it was fully closed there was a chance the door would be wide open all day.
With the smart garage door I could check in on it and open/close it remotely. It would also close itself after a configurable amount of idle time and it sent me an alert whenever the door opened.

*The thermostat was mostly just purchased out of anger due to how terrible all dumb thermostats are. Still, it was easy to program, had remote temperature sensors, and had a bunch of nice options. Being able to remotely turn vacation mode on or off or temporarily modify the schedule did come in handy a few times.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NitroSpazzz posted:

Same, although I'm not in security I've read some of the whitepapers on how easily compromised that stuff is.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
My god. Uncut Gems.

My heart hurts after that ending.I thought the homeless looking frazzly hair dude was gonna kill him after he got the money, but then again it could have been any of them and I guess that was part of the point.

Never imagined myself saying this but Adam Sandler gonna get an Oscar.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Haven’t posted on AI in awhile. Been sober for a year now next month. Got a really good job and have been selling a lot of software.

Finally got a new car a 2020 corolla LE. I love it but it’s never gonna be the kind of car that impresses anyone and that’s ok.

Hopefully 2020 is a lucrative year and I can finally make a thread for restoring my 88 300zx.

I also really really want to get a 3rd gen prelude as a classic daily.

Hey, good for you. Also good that you love your car, that's what matters. Looking forward to seeing some 300zx posts.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My mate can use his HF radio to turn his neighbours touch lamp on and off.

Coincidently, the HF radio on his car and my car will make LED’s on the vehicle illuminate when they’re transmitting. His will also make all the Christmas lights on his house twinkle when he tunes the antenna in. And they aren’t plugged into the mains!

I wouldn’t mind a smart thermostat but apparently they don’t work at all with 99% of the air conditioners used in Australia because our stuffs all variable inverter compressors and stuff or something like that. Instead I’m stuck with LG’s terrible wifi control option which routes through Mongolia or something with how god drat long it takes the controller to react to an instruction from the app

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
At least your internet is from this century!

How’d you survive the heat today?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

UK goons - any advice on where best to sell a classic car? I'm selling my Saab 99 Turbo.

Owners club classifieds seems dead. I've gone for the semi-official club forum so far.

I've successfully used autotrader for normal cars, but i'm not sure how good they are for old stuff?

I don't really want to deal with ebay

Also, pricing this is hard when nothing similar seems to have been sold for ages. I've gone for 'good' from the Hagerty car valuation site, but a restoration project with visible rust holes sold recently on ebay for £500 more than their 'fair' price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How much is a car and classic ad these days? They have a good reach still

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I work with this dude and every time he hears or sees something he finds appealing he grunts and says "SEXellent" and I'm having trouble not driving my pliers into his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

I work with this dude and every time he hears or sees something he finds appealing he grunts and says "SEXellent" and I'm having trouble not driving my pliers into his chest.

well, it could be worse. He could be really into Street Sharks and be saying "Jawsome"