Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Potato Sack Jason is the best Jason :colbert:

seconded, motion carries

Basebf555 posted:

I actually find Part II to be the scariest of the series. The others have different aspects I like that put them ahead of Part II but just in terms of how scary they are, Part II is tops for me. The sack is scarier(probably because I grew up with the hockey mask and it became ubiquitous), and the way Jason is still very human and moves around like a regular dude trying to murder people is also scarier than what Jason became later.

it absolutely is the scariest and best of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's part III. Part II is the first one with Jason as the killer but it's Potato Sack Jason
Woah, I hosed up. I'm going to have to watch a marathon of all the F13s now.

It's either that or watch Halloween 6, the only Halloween I haven't seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

do both, then get as mad as I am that Paul Rudd's character from Halloween 6 got recast as Anthony Michael Hall in the new one

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

seconded, motion carries

it absolutely is the scariest and best of the series

Part 2 would be the best if the kills were more brutal, but potato sack Jason owned.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Why only one eyehole though? Is Jason blind in his janky eye?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bc its way more cool and badass DUH

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also part of the things that inspired Biggy Man in Splatterhouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nz7WiC1UXY

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

I knew people said that Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 was a lot of footage from the original but holy hell, that was completely insane. Literally half the movie(or more?) is recap.

gey muckle mowser posted:

the worst recap offender I've seen is Dollman vs Demonic Toys, which is only 60 minutes long and contains about 20 minutes of footage from three different previous films. Add to that a ridiculously long opening credits sequence and tons of scenes that are nothing but Dollman standing next to comically oversized props or the Toys just sitting there making goofy noises and you are left with like 25 minutes of actual movie.

I still think Boogeyman 2 has them beat for most use of previous film footage.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Because it’s a legally distinct costume from the killer in The Town that Dreaded Sundown, which it most certainly isn’t ripping off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Splatterhouse owns, I probably never would have heard of it (and Chiller) if the local parents hadn't protested outside the local arcade until both were removed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

Because it’s a legally distinct costume from the killer in The Town that Dreaded Sundown, which it most certainly isn’t ripping off.

How dare you accuse a f13 movie of creative bankruptcy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think in general it's worth it to track down any book that a movie was adapted from or a movie's novelization. At the very least it's interesting to see the differences between the two like with Slither, or there's additional information that explains things like with Funhouse.

If you're talking about the Tobe Hooper movie, Dean Koontz was very clear that he had to make up all that additional information because there was only enough plot and characterisation in the movie to fill a cocktail napkin. And if you want to know what that would be like, read the novelisation of NOES - or more accurately the pamphletisation, because it's actually the first three movies in one book that is less than 200 pages long.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you're talking about the Tobe Hooper movie, Dean Koontz was very clear that he had to make up all that additional information because there was only enough plot and characterisation in the movie to fill a cocktail napkin. And if you want to know what that would be like, read the novelisation of NOES - or more accurately the pamphletisation, because it's actually the first three movies in one book that is less than 200 pages long.

I used to have that NOES trilogy book, it owned. Also included that dope prequel short story about Freddy's origin.

I did not know Dean Koontz wrote the novelization of Funhouse, that rules

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Halloween Jack posted:

Man gently caress Halloween 6. Watch some paint dry instead, it’ll be more satisfying. And I watched the “fixed” one!

Anyway maybe it’s because I went into NoES 5 with really low expectations but I didn’t think it was that bad. Well, it at least wasn’t that boring. I was mainly wanting cool visuals and it pulled that off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

I wonder if that's a reference to Black Christmas? Am I giving Miner too much credit?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm laughing at all the posers in this thread that aren't listening to the podcast In Myers We Trust. Only posers don't want to listen to 4 hour episodes of cozy conversation about each Halloween film.

They did two episodes for Part 6, for the theatrical and producers cut, so that's more like 7 hours.

The H20 episode is pretty fun, because they make a lot of comparisons of H20 to Friday the 13th Part 2, since both are directed by Steve Miner.

edit: I could be wrong, but in Jason X, doesn't the doctor mention he's blind in his eye when she cuts the mask off his face and starts digging in his head with forceps?

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 18, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just assumed it was because Jason is an undead and/or aquatic manchild monster and didn't really have the patience for two eye holes

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Why did he wear a mask at all? It's not like anyone could have identified him. And his being a victim of bullying for looking different didn't show up until FvsJ, so it ain't that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It would have been pretty funny if Jason was a good looking guy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Why did he wear a mask at all? It's not like anyone could have identified him. And his being a victim of bullying for looking different didn't show up until FvsJ, so it ain't that.

Cuz he's gently caress ugly and was mocked for it as a child, leading to his death?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Like I said, that poo poo didn't show up until FvsJ. According to his mom, dude was just ignored by the counselors assigned to watch him, probably because they were off banging somewhere. Nothing was ever implied that he was being mocked in any of the other sequels either.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay...

Then why does Michael Myers wear a mask?

Why does Freddy use a knife glove instead of literally anything else?

edit: I guess my issue with the question is this: Jason is deformed, which we know from the very first film. No sequel specifically mentions him being bullied until FvJ, because that's the first film to show Jason alive as a child, in a dream flashback. So in every picture of Jason, artist rendering, etc, he's deformed. So why do you need a specific person referring to him as being bullied in an earlier sequel, instead of the implications through context? He was a 12 year old boy with deformities and possibly learning deficiencies, at a summer camp in the 1950s. PC culture wasn't as strong, and kids are assholes who bully. So him wearing a mask isn't that crazy.

Do you want a boring practical explanation? It's faster and cheaper to have a masked character instead of prosthetics.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 18, 2019

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I'm laughing at all the posers in this thread that aren't listening to the podcast In Myers We Trust. Only posers don't want to listen to 4 hour episodes of cozy conversation about each Halloween film.

They did two episodes for Part 6, for the theatrical and producers cut, so that's more like 7 hours.

The H20 episode is pretty fun, because they make a lot of comparisons of H20 to Friday the 13th Part 2, since both are directed by Steve Miner.

edit: I could be wrong, but in Jason X, doesn't the doctor mention he's blind in his eye when she cuts the mask off his face and starts digging in his head with forceps?

Everyone should also listen to the previous one, In Voorhees We Trust

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Why does Freddy use a knife glove instead of literally anything else?

What do you think Freddy should use instead smart guy?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
We know why Michael wears a mask, Our Lord and Savior Rob Zombie explained that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Even in the original Halloween it seems pretty clear that Michael wears a mask because he’s a soulless shape instinctually replicating what he did on Halloween 1963.

Jason wears a mask because Michael wore a mask.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Senator Giroux posted:

Everyone should also listen to the previous one, In Voorhees We Trust

Yes, absolutely. And informative, like going into explanations and fan theories about Jason's deformities and why he wears masks.

Also, it's just really funny. Paul Rust and Matt Gourley would be wonderfully entertaining people to talk horror movies with.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

Yes, absolutely. And informative, like going into explanations and fan theories about Jason's deformities and why he wears masks.

Also, it's just really funny. Paul Rust and Matt Gourley would be wonderfully entertaining people to talk horror movies with.

It’s because of that show that there’s finally a suitable fan theory for how Jason drowned in 1 but didn’t really and lived in the woods (the butt worm from Jason Goes to Hell went into the corpse and reanimated it).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Myers wears a mask because it’s halloween

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's because faceless murderers are spooky, you nerds

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

Party pooper

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

What do you think Freddy should use instead smart guy?

His white privilege.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pomp posted:

Yeah no poo poo but something can have both metatextual and textual reasons for existing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

Even in the original Halloween it seems pretty clear that Michael wears a mask because he’s a soulless shape instinctually replicating what he did on Halloween 1963.

Michael wears a mask because he is the mask.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Michael wears a mask because he is the mask.

Sssssssssssmokin’!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the thread has convinved me. time to watch them all. adelaide's in the middle of an insane heatwave this week so i guess its time to blast the ac, get crunchy on beers and have some vorhees in my life

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

New one from A24. Looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXs2-TY9qok

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah no poo poo but something can have both metatextual and textual reasons for existing

Wait I was going to tell you why he murders people and can't die next

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I’m in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

For some reason I remember this being teased a long long while ago, like as far back as 2017.