Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Gonz posted:

Palps ‘n Kylo: BFF’s

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ecfl4i/opening_scene_kylo_meets_palpatine/

Edit:

Kylo & Rey whoopin’ on fools

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ecfsk5/reykylo_vs_palpskor/

Loved the “Sorry guys. It’s not personal; just business” gesture that Kylo gives the Knights. Adam Driver has been one of the best parts of these movies, if not THE best part.

the constant flashing lights are really bad imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

cuntman.net posted:

Star Wars: The Rise of Epilepsy

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
is palpatine's corpse just strapped to machinery or something like the emperor in 40k? i can't tell from those clips

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

cuntman.net posted:

:capitalism: except it says "that's Abrams"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The dead speak!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

El Burbo posted:

The dead speak!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Koalas March posted:

Finn's lack of storyline and character arc is the most disappointing thing imo

Wiping out all the Skywalkers with no fanfare is the second.

I’m still pissed that they wasted Finn.

Hobo Clown posted:

It's unfortunate that any legitimate criticism about RotS will get you lumped in with the anti-SJW crybaby brigade.

Yeah, this is loathsome. Star Wars is riddled with alt-right Trump voter manbabies.

SolarFire2 posted:

No, I think it's perfectly possible to hate TLJ for what it did to Luke and hate this movie, too.

What TLJ “did to Luke” wasn’t that big a deal, though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That's the thing, all the ways they cut down the significance of the original movies isn't justified by having anything interesting happen in these new ones. None of the new characters are interesting enough to justify it, aside from maybe Ben/Kylo, and the reasons everything that happened in the original trilogy got reset isn't even pertinent to the stories of the new characters in any meaningful way. Nothing the new characters do truly engages with the flaws of the old characters or institutions, so it seems more like they just wanted the iconography/branding to be as recognizable as possible.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Finn's lack of storyline and character arc is the most disappointing thing imo

Extremely same. TFA wasn't perfect but Finn's at least a strong character there. His decisions drive the story forward. If they kept that in TLJ and ROTS they would have been stronger movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Low Desert Punk posted:

is palpatine's corpse just strapped to machinery or something like the emperor in 40k? i can't tell from those clips

Yeah, it’s some sort of mechanical arm that is sustaining his life.

He’s about to cast Exterminatus against the Resistance. He’s pulling on the powers of Chaos to achieve it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Is the soundtrack any good? I know Williams has basically been phoning it in, and I can only remember two new tracks from the sequels (Rey's theme and Jedi Steps), so I’m not expecting much

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

That's like, your opinion.

Man who decides there's good in darth vader convinced he needs to murder his nephew because of some scary dream.

You tell me that's in accordance with the character buildup from EP4 to 6

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Pollyanna posted:

Killing him off is kind of a big deal.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

it's fine that you feel that way. it's also fine that hte other poster didn't

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

NovemberMike posted:

Extremely same. TFA wasn't perfect but Finn's at least a strong character there. His decisions drive the story forward.

It’s fun to point out that on the other hand, Rey makes exactly two decisions in TFA, one to not sell BB-8 and one to go find Luke at the very end of the movie

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, this is loathsome. Star Wars is riddled with alt-right Trump voter manbabies.

Just like in real life they won. The first order and Trump reign supreme and unchallenged

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The only thing I have to say is that Rey's theme from Episode 7 sounds like the Emperor's theme. Enough that I could see this being a line they thought they might go on at some point writing up the trilogy.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

the reviews are in

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

SolarFire2 posted:

No, I think it's perfectly possible to hate TLJ for what it did to Luke and hate this movie, too.

TLJ fans hate this movie. TLJ haters also hate this movie. They tried to appease everyone and appeased no-one.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

The only thing I have to say is that Rey's theme from Episode 7 sounds like the Emperor's theme. Enough that I could see this being a line they thought they might go on at some point writing up the trilogy.

I’m pretty sure John Williams himself is on record saying he thought of Rey as being Luke's daughter

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Combat Theory posted:

Man who decides there's good in darth vader convinced he needs to murder his nephew because of some scary dream.

The problem I have with Luke in TLJ is that instead of recognizing his mistake and responsibility for what went down he doubles down on it at the end of the film.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

Even after all his preaching about how there's still good in Vader, Luke still tried to murder him when he threatened Leia.

SolarFire2 posted:

Killing him off is kind of a big deal.

It doesn't really seem like a big deal considering the only difference is that now he's slightly blue and transparent

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Asgerd posted:

TLJ fans hate this movie. TLJ haters also hate this movie. They tried to appease everyone and appeased no-one.

it rules. I've got so much gleeful schadenfreude toward the whole situation

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Jesus posted:

The problem I have with Luke in TLJ is that instead of recognizing his mistake and responsibility for what went down he doubles down on it at the end of the film.

Luke’s is super muddled by the end, which is why I’m just kinda bemused by where he ended up than angry about it. It’s weird, but as we see in TROS didn’t change much.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

people who whine about luke's character being ruined are cowards

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

cuntman.net posted:

JJ's beyond lens flares now.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

It would be perfect if this killed off Star Wars movies for good. I know it definitely won't, but we need to have hope!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Combat Theory posted:

Not only that but after the Academy gets destroyed he just fucks off to some planet and gives up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm the families of the dead and missing children who luke decided didn't deserve any information about what happened

Beeez
May 28, 2012
And it doesn't even make sense for Luke's actions to make him lose faith, because he already defied the old guard more than once. Obi-Wan just wanted him to kill his father, he's the one who exceeded his forebears and managed to bring Anakin back. So the notion that he blithely believed his religion was infallible until the situation with Ben happened doesn't work with what had been previously established about him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm the families of the dead and missing children who luke decided didn't deserve any information about what happened

He gave his forwarding address to the Jedi academy bursar, Lor San Tekka

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Theory posted:

Luke being prone to flashes of intense violence and anger when he feels like his loved ones are threatened is perfectly in character.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Its Coke posted:

Lord, I do too. I just hope everyone in STC has an aneurysm.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol Triclops is back.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I might go see CATS instead. Lindsey Ellis evoked Showgirls to describe it and a review called it "bewildering and horny"

Pollyanna posted:

Lord, I do too. I just hope everyone in STC has an aneurysm.

:hmmyes:

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol Triclops is back.

I remember folks saying the de-canonization of the extended universe gave disney the freedom to pick and choose the best bits to bring back and buddy they were right

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hot take: I liked it.

Most of my audience seemed to like it as well. There was some problems to me but on the surface there’s not much that makes me truly frustrated.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's cool that cats is still review embargoed. Expecting a mastapeece

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At least they explained how Maz gained possession of Luke's lightsaber, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Davros1 posted:

At least they explained how Maz gained possession of Luke's lightsaber, right?

Hahaaaaa nope.